Profile for Scampavia > Reviews

Scampavia (Bath, UK)

The Love of My Life: A heartbreaking story of love, loss and family
The Love of My Life: A heartbreaking story of love, loss and family

2.0 out of 5 stars Unpleasant heroine, 1 Aug. 2012
Very disappointed with this book. Truly unpleasant main character with whom I had no sympathy whatsoever. I read on in the hope that she would have some redeeming features but sadly not.

Comfort and Joy
Comfort and Joy
by India Knight

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 3 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Comfort and Joy (Hardcover)
Sorry India, love everything else you've written but not keen on this. The sisters and Pat were totally unbelievable characters, and I did feel that the characterisation of Pat was almost offensively cliched. Seemed like it may have been rushed out for Christmas and really wasn't much there at all - certainly not much comfort or joy.

One Moment, One Morning
One Moment, One Morning
by Sarah Rayner

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not waste one moment on this, 3 Jan. 2011
I first noticed this in the Waterstone's bestseller display and thought that despite the deeply chicklit cover it must be good, and it sounded interesting per the blurb on the back. Wrong and wrong (blurb is totally misleading). A realistic tale about bereavement yes (having recently been an "Anna" myself) but very poor writing, one dimensional and cliched characters and no plot whatsoever. Avoid.

Cook
Cook
by Richard Bertinet

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly simple and very delicious!, 11 May 2010
This review is from: Cook (Hardcover)
We have recently received a copy of this book and have to say it is fantastic. Initially I thought it looked much more wordy than some of my other books but that is because it is full of very useful and interesting bits of info which not only tell you what to do, but why you are doing it (and how to rectify if you make a hash of it, haven't got all the ingreds etc!). I have made the fish pie, which was quite different from other recipes I have followed (e.g. adding wine to the roux before the milk in order to get a super smooth bechamel - it works) - the recipe was easy to follow and results were delicious - I will be rolling this out for all forseeable guests! Have also made a successful carbonara. The best bit, however, of having this book is that it has encouraged my husband (whose repertoire normally extends only to pancakes and "scramblers")to cook - he has turned out a fantastic smoked haddock chowder and a smoked salmon and rocket pasta dish and is threatening to do more - yippee! Really good book that makes it seem pretty easy to turn out delicious and stylish dishes for the family and guests.