Profile for Popcorn Player > Reviews

Rucanor Aluminium Baseball Bat, Silver - 60 cm
Rucanor Aluminium Baseball Bat, Silver - 60 cm
Offered by MA Sports UK

5.0 out of 5 stars You will need courage to rob my house :P, 8 Sept. 2012
Apparently, it takes courage to break into a house, to commit the callous act of theft. This is correct and this review is for anyone intending to unlawfully enter my premises.

Good points:
-Can be used for sporting activities
-Cheaper than a CCTV system
-Aluminium is stronger than your skull

Bad points:
-Kit did not include rusty nail, I had to hammer my own in

This is my bat, there are many others like it, but this is my bat, without my bat I am useless, without me my bat is useless.
This is my bat and if you are 'courageous' enough to enter my humble residents, you will be met with the fat side of it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 18, 2012 2:21 PM GMT

No Title Available

Bought a pair of these for the summer.
Must say they are reasonably priced now, decent looking and comfortable for lazing around in. I wear mine alot, so far they have done ok. They get very uncomfortable after prolonged periods of walking (literally feel like you are not wearing anything on your feet - painful). Mine (after 1 month) are also nearly worn through, which is fine, they cost me £8 at my local fruit and veg store (random, I know) so I'll just buy another pair when I'm done. Simplez.

-VERY uncomfortable for long walks/day in day out use.
-Will last 6 months low usage/3 months medium/high usage, short life but hey they're cheap.
-No good at all in the wet.

Overall, some very funky looking shoes which are ok but be warned, they aint comfy, they won't last and you will forever have to walk around puddles - other than that, you can't go wrong for the price, cheap as chips and rightfully so. I'd recommend them as funky gym wear or glorified slippers.

My rating: 6/10 (not as good as dunlop green flash, better than your average plimsolls)

No Title Available

Flossy - Plimsoll - Black - Size 38
Flossy - Plimsoll - Black - Size 38

-No good at all in the wet.

Forza Motorsport 4 (Xbox 360)
Forza Motorsport 4 (Xbox 360)
Offered by SMART Training

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb but...., 24 Aug. 2012
Love this game, its fantastic. Graphically second to none. It doesn't actually seem all that different from the previous Forza but that said Forza 3 was also a master piece. Forza 4 is a full on race simulator completely free from arcade style race game feats and contains in depth vehicle settings. You can tune your car to suit you and even edit the way it looks by adding wings and body kits. The detail looks great but still no sing of night time driving or changes in weather.

Main Pros:
-Stunning graphics, the best I've seen in a race sim.
-Cars sound like cars! (As opposed to a swarm of bees GT5)
-Simulation settings are great, you can fine tune cars and the damage has been slightly improved over Forza 3.
-Car variety (there are loads and DLC too).
-Car rewards (you have a choice now and levelling up for manufacturers has been changed a bit for the better.)

Main cons:
-Offline gamers lose out (can't build credits easily or trade cars, the Ferrari 250 GTO costs 10mil, on a good race you can pull 20k, I'll be on months trying to make 10mil)
-Pay for cars option (penny pinching here, really hate this in games but its becoming a bit of a trend sadly)
-Difficulty settings (career mode cannot change opponent difficulty - it's a bit easy for your average race sim fan)
-Lack of bad weather/night time driving, always sunny, always midday.
-AI are still no better than forza 3, whereas they were over aggressive and generally oblivious to your presence in Forza 3, it appears they are over aware of you and tend to brake ridiculously if they get too close to you tbh, I preferred the aggressive AI on Forza 3.
-Lack of open world map. (Not really a major fault in a race sim, but with current gen capabilities, it's not too much to ask).

Overall it's a fantastic game, one of the best current gen I'd say. As a race sim its right at the top of the pack and is the best I've ever played. What annoys me is the fact you have to race for hours on end to accumulate a decent amount of cash (enough to buy Ferrari 250 GTO) if you don't have online but you can rather conveniently pay actual money for one - This it seems is the future of gaming and its very sad to see, you'd think paying for the game would entitle you to all of its features, not so and for this alone a star has been taken away. Everything else is pretty much perfection, Forza is a few tweaks away from being absolutely perfect, well done Turn10!

My rating: 9.7/10 (minus a star for redeem code rip-off)
Genre: Racing simulator, Racing, Driving.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 28, 2012 7:06 PM GMT

Saints Row 2 Classic (Xbox 360)
Saints Row 2 Classic (Xbox 360)
Offered by PARTYGAMES UK

3.0 out of 5 stars GTA on a budget., 15 July 2012
Saints Row is a game that slipped through the net for me. Never really heard of it until the third instalment was released so I decided to go for this one before I commit to a more expensive purchase - glad I did.

Saints Row 2 is set five years after Saints Row; your character wakes up from a coma in a prison. After escaping the prison, the player's character saves Johnny Gat before he is sentenced to death and together they begin to re-kindle the 3rd Street Saints and reclaim Stilwater from three new gangs that have had the city under their control. The Ultor Corp, responsible for Stilwater's redevelopment after a massive earthquake, attempts to crush the Saints. However, a press conference held by Ultor's CEO Dane Vogel is interrupted when the Saints assault it, resulting in Vogel's assassination and the game's conclusion, in which the Saints now run Stilwater again.
The game builds upon Saints Row 1's accolade by improving the respect system, adding more varied activities, increasing the extent to which you can customize your character, gang and vehicles. It expands the Stilwater map and adds new gameplay features and content.

Main Pros:
- Huge open world map to explore
- Some good weapons in the mix
- Customisation has been taken to a whole new level, character, crib, cars etc.
- Some new vehicles
- Can play as female!!! (Not particularly a pro but it shows Volition do listen to their fans)
- Shooting mechanics are nice to use aswell as being pretty straight forward.

Main Cons:
- Shockingly bad driving mechanics (appalling; like previous gen GTA3, only it was ok at the time.)
- Graphics (This is a long, long way off what current gen consoles are capable of.)
- Bore fest (I had to force myself to clock this game.)
- Stupid AI (rival gang members drive, shoot and run stupidly. Often they run over their fellow gang members, shoot fellow gang members and run out in front of traffic.)
- Not as good as GTA4 (Not in any way, shape or form other than customisation)

Overall, this game was a bit of a mess for me, not appealing enough to buy the third instalment. Throughout the game I just continuously thought how it should be better. Not great when you are supposed to be immersed in a gangsta's dream. I didn't play the original but judging by other reviews this is alot better, which would explain all the positives.
A forum user gave the best description I've heard on this game - a cheap GTA.

My rating: 5.8/10
Genre: Action-adventure, Open world, Third person shooter.

Broken Arrow [DVD] [1996]
Broken Arrow [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ John Travolta
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars What happens when a budget is blown on one actor..., 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Broken Arrow [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
...and that actor is John Travolta.
Major Vic "Deak" Deakins (John Travolta) and Captain Riley Hale (Christian Slater) are pilots in the United States Air Force. Both are sent on a training exercise to carry nuclear warheads in a B-3 stealth bomber (fictional advancement of the B-2).

On the exercise Deakins reveals to Hale he is sick of his unfruitful career and has defected. He crashes the bomber after ditching the nuclear warheads and ejecting Hale. Deakins then liaises with his henchmen and sets about retaining the warheads for sale on the black market (or along those lines, I really had lost interest tbh).
Hale obviously survives and goes about trying to stop Deakins in the dullest way possible only know he has the help of a park ranger (Samantha Mathis) who happens to be near the crash site, inevitably they get together.

I'll not finish the plot, as I'm sure you will be able to guess it.
John Woo has done the Hollywood thing here unfortunately. Boring/dull plot which is predictable to say the least and we've seen it a million times before. The acting from Travolta is top draw admittedly, he's a good villain but that's it. Christian Slater couldn't have made the good guy (Hale) any more boring and hateable if he tried, the whole film you just want to see him and that annoying park ranger fail. The henchmen are perhaps the worst example of acting I have seen. So wooden, they might aswell have the script in their hands, truly appalling.

So then, the CGI, well this film has nukes, so naturally I expect some kick a$$ explosions as a redeeming feature and given that it had a $55million budget I was hoping to be impressed. I wasn't. A few gun fights and a nuclear explosion... underground (oooohhhhhh, that's why they did it underground!!!). Lazy film making relying too much on people's fondness of John Travolta. This film is a curled heap of steaming Hollywood poo which was successful because John Travolta starred in it but it turns out that he is also the only thing going for it.

Running time: 108 mins (aprox)
My rating: 2.1/10 (unbearably predictable hollywood poo)
Genre: Action thriller.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2014 2:09 PM GMT

District 9 [DVD] [2009]
District 9 [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Sharlto Copley
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Alternative Sci-Fi at its very best, 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: District 9 [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
I saw the trailer for this film and automatically my brain tells me it's another bog standard Hollywood tuned Sci-Fi which will undoubtedly have the usual storyline: Alien invades, humans die, humans overcome and conquer aliens, happy ever after.

With this in my mind, I left it. The other week a mate was going through some of his all time greats in sci-fi, this popped up. I challenged his opinion, he told me to watch it so I did.

PLOT **(some very mild spoilers)**: March 1982, an alien craft comes to Earth and stops over Johannesburg after losing a 'control module' which falls from the ship. After months of no activity, humans investigate the craft and manage to get on-board to find a large group of malnourished aliens. They are removed from the craft and given food and shelter but are also given an area to live (district 9).
Human and Alien relations soon fall apart but instead of the Aliens attacking or revolting as they would in a conventional film of this type, we humans impose the unfair changes.
MNU (the company hired to deal with Alien relations) decides to shift the Aliens further from Johannesburg to a new area named district 10 which is pretty much a concentration camp.
Wikus van de Merwe (Sharlto Copley), in charge of the operation to shift the prawns (derogatory name given to the aliens) begins by serving eviction notices to the prawns in D9 when he comes across an alien called Christopher Johnson (Jason Cope). In Christopher's shack, there is a small container which Wikus finds. Upon inspection, the container squirts an unknown substance on Wikus' face which leads to him becoming ill. After a medical examination, it becomes apparent that Wikus is mutating into a prawn.

Alien weapons were also found with the prawns, but could not be used as they had to be used by someone with prawn DNA. Now Wikus is mutating into a prawn, he can use their weapons and suddenly, he becomes very valuable so MNU decide to vivisect his organs for bio-weaponry research. Wikus escapes and locates Christopher in D9 who tells him he can cure Wikus' condition on the mothership, but needs the fluid in the container (now in MNU headquarters) to power the control module so it could return to the mothership and ultimately leave planet Earth to return home.

The pair then set on a mission to get back the fluid so Wikus can be cured and Christopher and his son can return home. At MNU headquarters, Christopher discovers that humans have been conducting genetic research on prawns much to his disgust and changes the deal he has with Wikus to allow for a little twist at the end of the film.

OPINION: Director Neill Blomkamp has done brilliantly with this alternative take on a Sci-Fi thriller. Despite the rather dodgy South African accent, Johannesburg was an ideal setting for the film bringing light to current issues such as social segregation and racism in general. He manages to pull of a nice little twist at the end of the film and the sub plot involving Wikus and his misses is a one which pulls at the heart strings. The acting from the relatively unknown cast was superb particularly the part of Koobus Venter (David James), who shows us henchmen are not always wooden fodder. Being super critical, it should have maybe been a bit longer but there are plans for prequels/sequels so we'll wait and see. Unlike 'The Day The World Stood Still' or 'War of The Worlds', aliens play victims here, a classy film this truly is shot in documetary style (which works superbly) and yes, this is now one of my all time greats.

Running time: 112 mins (aprox.)
My rating: 8.2/10 (must see, sci-fi fan or not)
Genre: Sci-Fi thriller, Alternative Sci-Fi

Thanks for reading :)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2012 5:15 PM BST

Monster Energy Drink 12 x 500ml
Monster Energy Drink 12 x 500ml
Offered by Micronutrients Ltd.

4.0 out of 5 stars Why does diabetes taste sooooo good???, 1 Jun. 2012
GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! The difference between a near zombie like state and James bond is a can of monster.

The green liquid tastes nicer than any other original energy drink out there, such a distinctive taste. Its like drinking athlete's pi55.

The rocket fuel gets to work quickly, my leg starts to shake uncontrollably as I sit ready to take the next call in my call centre job and the effect lasts a few hours before the sugar come down begins.

On a more serious note, limit yourself to ONE can a day in the interest of your own health, one can alone is 65% of your recommended daily sugar intake and the B vitamins it contains are almost all 100% of your GDA, put it this way: it's easy to see why the UK has a diabetes problem.

Recommended for night shifts and long days where you need to be on edge. On the flip side it does make you urinate like a race horse. Your pi55 will also turn green and smell like sugar puffs.

A -TrainHX
A -TrainHX

3.0 out of 5 stars A difficult, but satisfying experience, 19 May 2012
This review is from: A -TrainHX (Video Game)
I purchased this game but held my reservations. Previous reviews all seem speak of the obscurity of the game and how there is a serious lack of guidance.

I started out on a map with $1Bn (or whatever the currency is, I'm going to say $), and a railway already in place with a few trains. Start the sim and instantly I notice my funds dropping at an insane rate. At this point I'm expecting some sort of message or tutorial but nothing, just straight into the thick of the game with not so much as a hint of what to actually do. At this point I looked to the net.

With my new knowledge I go straight to the stock market and invest. This pays off and now I can set about turning the railway from a cash burning burden to a cash cow ready for a milkin'. You can then start to exploit properties and set up subsidiaries all in the name of making a profitable business network. Or if you're happy with your profits you can start making out-of-town escape holiday resorts or theme parks or even further expand your rail network to pastures new.

Main Pros:
- Realistic economy (including an interactive fictional stock market)
- Realistic city simulation (growth depends on your input and where you lay the rails)
- Real estate (exploit property market to further increase revenue)
- Freedom (do as you please, small trains and low levels of development can cap a towns population or you can go the other way and turn towns into cities with the help of your railway network depending on what you want to achieve)
- Rewarding (if you manage to achieve a business which is turning a profit, the game becomes a rather rewarding experience. Mainly as you will have put in well over 10 hours play to get there)

Main Cons:
- Lack of guidance/tutorial level (games biggest flaw, the game is naturally pretty hard, omitting the standard tutorial level will put most players off immediately)
- Difficulty (no real settings for it and the game is very hard. I'm a hardcore gamer and love games like this but even I struggled to get going with this one.)
- Simulation aspect (under developed and given the Xbox 360's capabilities, I believe more could be done in that area.
- Railway simulation (no signals and very basic commands for the trains coupled with an incomprehensible 'time table' feature which is lacking itself leads to a rather unfruitful railway simulation experience. Given that this is supposed to be the games 'centre piece' marks have been lost there for sure)
- Empty roads/where are all the people? (There are plenty of roads, but never any traffic and no pedestrians yet there are plenty using your trains hmmmmmm... This kind of falls under simulation aspect I guess)

Overall, I love this game but given the fact I used to play railroad tycoon for days on end, this was inevitable. As another reviewer has already stated, it's a shame more people didn't give this game a chance but it's no hard to see why. Given the lack of guidance and omitting a tutorial level, 505 games have shot themselves in the foot as most people gave up very early judging by comments and previous reviews - I really don't blame them, even the manual supplied leaves you scratching your head in bewilderment so 3* for that reason along with the poor railway simulation/realism.

To master the game you will need to be prepared to put some time in and will have to learn to clear the maps through trial and error by constructing a successful, profit turning railway which is by no means easy.

Buy this game if:
- You are patient (10 hours at least to truly start to know how to go about making a profit)
- You have played this type of strategy game before and liked it
- You are genuinely interested in railway business management
- You like a challenge (you've got one here for sure)

Don't buy this game if:
- You like straight forward games (I.E. Complete objective, next objective)
- You are impatient (10 hours ish to get the hang of it, you need plenty of time)
- You are under age of 12 (I don't think you would be interested in stocks, shares, profit rates etc. at this age, but by all means have a go though!!)
- You are expecting a train simulator (It isn't in the slightest)

Even I needed guidance when I first got this game (I'm 22) so here's a couple of links I used to get me going in the right direction. Also if you have any questions about the game, please do comment and I'll try my best to help you out!!! Thanks for reading!!!

1/ Basic game overview and how to get started
[...]%3A//[...]
2/ Exploiting property tip (for plenty $$$)
Go to Google and type in 'A Train HX property tip' it's the first youtube video you come to titled 'using property pt1'

My rating: 5.8/10 (serious lack of guidance)
Genre: Strategy, Simulator
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2012 10:20 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8