Profile for R. Littler > Reviews

Content by R. Littler

R. Littler "rlittler81" (Chester, UK)

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars Twists and turns, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
I read this over 48 hours as I literally couldn't put it down. Each chapter had so many twists and turns and surprises it kept me gripped. I did work out how things would turn out fairly early on but was still surprised with how the book ended. I agree with other reviews that the ending was a bit of a cop out but the rest of the book was simply brilliant!

Popular Lies About Graphic Design
Popular Lies About Graphic Design
by Craig Ward

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 Feb. 2013
Unlike most graphic design books, this really spoke to me as a designer. Nothing's set in stone when you're a designer. Things are good, things are bad. This book covers all the areas of being a designer including how you feel about being a designer and your work. It made me feel good to know other designers are in the same boat as me and struggle with certain things but find other things easy.

The design is brilliant also, mostly manipulated type, simple yet extremely effective.

Essential for anyone who sees being a designer as their life's calling.

Berberian Sound Studio [DVD]
Berberian Sound Studio [DVD]
Dvd ~ Toby Jones
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Berberian Sound Studio [DVD] (DVD)
After reading the rave reviews on both here and IMDB I was expecting this film to be a treat. Sadly, I was left watching a film where very little made sense or actually happened.

It is a very atmospheric film and quite claustraphobic as it goes along but I was waiting for a payoff at the end and there wasn't one. Just as you think something big is about to happen, the credits begin to roll.

Maybe it all has some deeper meaning but it was totally lost on me. I am going to give it another try to see if I can make some sense of it but it's doubtful.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2013 9:25 PM GMT

Haunted House of Horror [DVD]
Haunted House of Horror [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Avalon

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad... but good, 16 May 2012
I saw this on BBC2 a year or two ago because of my love for horror films and the 'swinging 60s'. Even though the story is all messed up and the acting is hammy, I have to say I do love this film as a glimpse of the London in 1968... Carnaby Street, the music, the fashion, it's all here. If you watch it as a kitsch period piece and don't take it seriously at all, you may just enjoy it. The director's commentary is worth listening to as it explains how the film was butchered by the production company and what the film was originally meant to be like. Groovy!

The Gringo Trail: A Darkly Comic Road-Trip Through South America
The Gringo Trail: A Darkly Comic Road-Trip Through South America
by Mark Mann

3.0 out of 5 stars A Book of 3 Parts, 22 Mar. 2011
I bought this book last year, after reading 'The Backpacker' and other travel stories, I gave this one a go. Unfortunately, there is too much historical information for my liking. I was expecting adventure and got facts and figures and ill-defined characters. Only when I got half way through did things start to happen and even then, it wasn't much. However, the last section of the books nearly makes up for the slow previous chapters though. An OK book if you're willing to stick with it.

1967-1970 : The Blue Album
1967-1970 : The Blue Album
Offered by inandout-distribution

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for beginers, 23 Aug. 2010
I got into The Beatles last summer after seeing a documentary on BBC2 and had to go out and buy some of their music. Along with the 1962-1966 'Red' album, this compilation is essential for anybody new to the music of The Beatles. Here you will find some of the best music ever recorded. The Blue album's first disc was on my car cd player for weeks when I first bought this album. Opening with 'Strawberry Fields Forever' and going through Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour will leave you in awe.

Definately worth a buy although I'd wait for the remastered edition which is coming out in October.

The Backpacker
The Backpacker
by John Christopher Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars A great adventure, 8 May 2010
This review is from: The Backpacker (Paperback)
As a fan of both the book and film of 'The Beach' I wanted to read something similar. This book takes you on a journey, pulling you in to the characters adventures and gives you a pretty good idea of what life as a traveler is like.

Whether the story is true or not, it is still worth reading. The characters are likable in the sense they are real people who make mistakes or are far from perfect. You get a clear view of the countries and culture that are traveled in the book and you feel like you are traveling with them. There is a slight lull in the middle, but it soon picks up towards the end.

Overall, a terrific read (I read it in 2 days) that is filled with adventure that will leave you wanting to travel the World. I will definately be giving it multiple readings.

Jimi Hendrix - Musician: The Musician
Jimi Hendrix - Musician: The Musician
by Keith Shadwick

5.0 out of 5 stars ESSENTIAL, 18 Nov. 2009
Brilliant book that details all of Hendrix's music and his life. As a newcomer to Jimi's music I found this book hard to put down and is a great reference guide for gigs and recorded music. Filled with many photos and quotes. Essential for any Hendrix fan.

Southport Weekender Vol.1: Mixed By Joey Negro, Miguel Migs & Gilles Peterson
Southport Weekender Vol.1: Mixed By Joey Negro, Miguel Migs & Gilles Peterson

5.0 out of 5 stars Miguel Migs disc..., 19 Mar. 2008
...is the only one I've listened to repeatedly. Deep and funky house at it's very best!