Profile for Mark Ronan > Reviews

Content by Mark Ronan

Mark Ronan (West Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself (Classics S.)
The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself (Classics S.)
by Teresa of Avila

5.0 out of 5 stars The Life of Saint Teresa of Avila by Herself, 2 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful book. I found it took me a long time to read as it is deceptively simple to read but getting the understanding of what you have just read was far more difficult. She was a wonderful woman who entered the Carmelite convent when she was 21 years old. She had many trials and tribulations during her life. She had many visions and mystical experiences and went on to found 17 Carmelite monasteries throughout Spain.

I think the book is very well written and contains a detailed account of the life of St. Teresa of Avila. It covers Teresa's early childhood at home and she describes in detail the 4 stages of prayer. The analogy she uses in explaining the stages of prayer is the effort required in watering a garden, the hardest being drawing the water from a well, drawing the water from a stream, irrigation and finally falling from the sky as rain. She always denied her own saintliness and I was struck by the very low opinion she had of herself.

This book is a frank account of one of the great stories of a religious life and is regarded as a literary masterpiece. After Don Quixote, it is Spain's most widely read prose classic.

At her death her incorrupt body had such an aromatic fragrance that the people of the time dismembered her body in order to secure for themselves a relic. I found reading about this most distressing because the people of that time have robbed Spain of a wonderful treasure which I think would still be viewable today especially as incorrupt bodies are quite rare.

The book contains no photographs and I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the wonderful St. Teresa of Avila.

(The Visions of the Children: The Apparitions of the Blessed Mother at Medjugorje (Revised)) By Connell, Janice T. (Author) Paperback on 15-May-2007
by Janice T. Connell

5.0 out of 5 stars The Visions of the Children (The Apparitions of the Blessed Mother at Medjugorje), 2 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful book. It is very well written and easy to read and contains a detailed account of each of the six visionaries as well as the two locutionists and detailed accounts, going back to 25th June 1981, about what is said by Mary to the visionaries. The Virgin Mary still appears to three of the original visionaries daily and still continues to appear.

The book contains many photographs which does bring the book alive as you can picture the places where the apparitions are taking place. There are photos of the visionaries in 1981 as well as how they look when this book was completed. Three of the visionaries, Mirjana, Ivanka and Jacov, were given ten secrets. And the other three visionaries, Vicka, Marija and Ivan were given nine secrets each. The two locutionists, Jelena and Marijana, have not been given any knowledge of the secrets.

Before reading this book I had no knowledge of the events at Medjugorje but after reading this book I thought it wonderful that this is happening and the events which are still taking place at Medjugorje and I will be making a visit to this place in the near future.

I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who wants to familiarise themselves with what is going on in Medjugorje and the messages of the Virgin Mary. In essence these can be summarised for us all as Pray, Pray, Pray and fast. Now is the time of repentance and we should not be putting it off any longer. The secrets will be revealed to the world three days before they are due to happen and a priest in the area of Medjugorje has been tasked to do this.

Jesus Our Eucharistic Love
Jesus Our Eucharistic Love
by Fr. Stefano Manelli
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Jesus Our Eucharistic Love, 2 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful book. It is very well written and easy to read and contains detailed discussions about the Eucharist and what it represents.

The book details that when a priest converts the bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus Christ the angels in Heaven flutter down to every alter on the Earth where the consecration is taking place and surround the priest. This is because the Angels want to be always close to Jesus. When we go up to the alter to receive Our Lord the Angels flutter around us and stay close to us until the host dissolves within our bodies which takes about 15 minutes. During this time you are as close to Christ as it is possible to be and during this period it is the perfect time to really talk to Jesus and to ask him for any help you need in your life.

The book also covers in slight detail the process of taking the Eucharist and discusses the options available. After reading this book I have changed the way I take Holy Communion because I realised my hands were not pure enough to handle the host so I have reverted to taking the host directly on the tongue.

The book also contains a few photographs including one of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus, when she was 8 years old, and another photograph of St. Maximilian Kolbe.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn more about the Eucharist. God truly has given us everything and to quote the words of St. Augustine "Although God is all powerful. He is unable to give more: though supremely wise. He knows not how to give more: though vastly rich. He has not more to give."

The Sermons of the Cure of Ars
The Sermons of the Cure of Ars
by Jean Baptiste Marie Vianney

5.0 out of 5 stars Sermans of the Cure of Ars, 2 July 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this wonderful book. It is very well written and easy to read and contains details of the Sermans of the Cure of Ars. When I was reading this book I kept thinking to myself that I seem to be failing all over the place when I compare my actions and the way I live my life to those actions expected according to the Cure of Ars. He tells it as it really is and he does not pull his punches. He sets the bar very high and there is not much comfort or encouragement that can be taken from this book.

I also found that when I was reading the book I began to think that because the bar has been set so very high only a few could ever meet it so I think it important that you should not persecute yourself as I do when you fail to meet the standards that the Cure of Ars sets for us and we should always take comfort from the fact that God wants everyone to be with him in Heaven and remember that God loves a trier.

This book contains no photos but there is a drawing of the Cure of Ars on the inside page. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to find out more about the Cure of Ars.

Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints
Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints
by F X Schouppe

5.0 out of 5 stars Purgatory: Explained by the Lives and Legends of the Saints, 25 Mar. 2012
This book was an amazing read. The book is essentially split into two parts. The first part covers The Mystery of God's Justice and contains 41 chapters. The second part covers The Mystery of God's Mercy and contains 64 chapters. The book also contains 3 appendices covering Indulgences, The Brown Scapular and Prayers for the Poor Souls.

Each chapter is only a few pages long and they tell little stories of events that have happened to the Saints down through the ages and cover divine revelations and apparitions. I thought this book gives some real insight into Purgatory. The author explains how its pains are excruciating, greater than any suffering known on earth, how they are adapted to the past sins of each individual soul, how they can vary in duration from less than one minute to a period of several centuries and how they manifest the infinite mercy of God no less than His justice. On many occasions God has allowed souls in Purgatory to appear on earth to plead for prayers, sacrifices and Masses for their relief.

These amazing revelations all emphasize the wonderful relief, which the souls in Purgatory receive from prayers, penance, almsgiving and especially from the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass offered for them. These stories describe the measureless gratitude of the souls in Purgatory, and the priceless benefits, which they obtain for their benefactors in return.

It is a very well written book and very easy to read. I would recommend this book, which goes to the very heart of the faith, to anyone who wants to deepen his or her knowledge of Purgatory, to anyone who has deceased relatives or friends, by everyone who has sins to make up for, and by everyone who wants to make a spiritual investment that will return to him a hundredfold.

Fatima: Past or Future? : The Unheeded Message
Fatima: Past or Future? : The Unheeded Message
by Antonio A. Borelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatima - Past or Present? - The Unheeded Message, 27 Nov. 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book and was enthralled by the content. It is a very well written book and contains a detailed account of the apparitions of the Angel of Peace and of the subsequent apparitions of Our Lady at Fatima. It contains 168 pages and over 80 colour and B&W pictures. The book also contains an in-depth commentary on the 3rd secret and Consecration of Russia.

This book is a must read for anyone who wants to know about the events that took place at Fatima during 1916 and 1917 and the message of Our Lady which she revealed to three shepherd children. This is a thoroughly enlightening book that brings some context to the events of the 20th Century.

Having read this book the message brought by Our Lady is clear. We must stop offending God by living our lives in ways that are inconsistent with God's commandments and his teaching. If mankind does not heed this warning and repent then mankind will suffer in this life and the next. It is a mistake to think that the prophecies given by Our Lady are complete.

Joan of Arc: In Her Own Words
Joan of Arc: In Her Own Words
by Edward S. Creasy

5.0 out of 5 stars St. Joan of Arc (In Her Own Words), 30 Oct. 2011
I really thought this was a wonderful book on the life of St. Joan of Arc. It is well written and extremely easy to read. I was able to read this book in an evening. The book details her early life at home and then details her travels through France. Then the final chapters are concerned with her capture, imprisonment and trial. The book details the questions she faced at her trail and the answers she gave to those questions.

The book also details some of the voices that she heard, specifically St. Michael, St. Catherine and St. Margaret, which guided her actions during her life and they also gave counsel to her during the trial. It is clear she was undertaking the will of God. She also had an ability to predict events and inspire the soldiers under her command with great fervour and courage to achieve the will of God.

I would truly recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about the great St. Joan of Arc (Jehanne d'Arc). This was a young courageous woman in every sense of the word with unmovable trust and faith in God to do his will and his will alone and was happy to fulfil his commands.

St. Thomas Aquinas
St. Thomas Aquinas
by G. K. Chesterton

4.0 out of 5 stars St. Thomas Aquinas, 28 Oct. 2011
This review is from: St. Thomas Aquinas (Paperback)
I thought this book was an interesting read on a wonderful Saint. The book is well written but I found it quite heavy going in places because it details many of the philosophies in existence and then compares and contrasts them. As a result I found many of the arguments for and against particular philosophies quite difficult to follow.

The book also details the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas, known as Thomism, in some detail. However, I did enjoy the parts of the book that detailed directly the main elements of his life, which gives the reader an indication of the type of man he was. It is also clear that St. Thomas Aquinas was a very intellectual man. However, his fellow university students who gave him the nickname "Dumb Ox" on account of the fact that he appeared to know nothing and was a very fat man did not immediately know this intellect.

In conclusion I think it fair to say that St. Thomas Aquinas was well ahead of his time, a brilliant thinker and he has become one of the most influential philosophers and theologians that has ever lived. The book contains 97 pages of text and no pictures.

The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyola
The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyola
by John C. Olin

5.0 out of 5 stars The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyola, 27 Oct. 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book on a wonderful Saint. This book is well written and easy to read. It can be read in a day. The book contains one picture of the Saint on the front cover. The book also contains seven illustrations. The book details a seventeen-year period in the Saint's life. It begins abruptly with his time spent in hospital convalescing from his injuries whilst defending the citadel at Pamplona to the time he and his companions formed the Society of Jesus in Rome.

The book contains an introduction, in which other details are captured with regard to the Saint's early life. This gives the reader a fuller picture of his life. However, the book contains no details of St. Ignatius after he forms the Society of Jesus in Rome with his companions and this is where the story ends.

The book also contains three appendices. The first contains a letter he wrote to his friend Isobel Roser, a devoted admirer, who had given him considerable support. The second contains a letter written by one of his companions, Peter Faber, and the third contains an early draft of the new declaration concerning the Society of Jesus. This forms the basis of the religious order that St. Ignatius Loyola founded and it contains five articles.

The True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin
The True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin
by De Montfort
Edition: Leather Bound

5.0 out of 5 stars The True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin, 25 Oct. 2011
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is a very well written and fairly easy to read. However, to gain a full understanding of this book you will need to read it multiple times. This is pointed out at the beginning of the book in Father Faber's preface. The book details what is required of us to have a true devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is also clear that the author, St. Louis-Marie De Montfort, is very ardent in his writing and he provides us with examples of what we should be doing to honour Mary and by so doing we honour her beloved son Jesus Christ.

The book provides an insight into Mary and how through her words and actions she gave glory to God. The author also illustrates that we should present our prayers to Mary who then makes them acceptable so that she can present them to God on our behalf because we are unworthy to approach God directly. At the back of the book there is an Act of consecration to Jesus Christ, the incarnate wisdom, by the hands of Mary. This is a wonderful piece of writing and enables the reader to consecrate oneself to Jesus through Mary.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the Blessed Virgin Mary and how she should be honoured. I also think this book will deepen your Catholic faith.

Page: 1 | 2