Profile for Pam B > Reviews

Content by Pam B

Pam B (wokingham UK)

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby sleeping all night long!, 16 July 2006
This book is an absolute life-saver and is perfect for anyone like myself, who does not want to use any sort of `cry it out' method to help their baby to sleep.

I was an exhausted mother of a 1 year old baby who would use breastfeeding as a means to help him sleep. He would wake sometimes up to 8 times a night leaving me completely exhausted wondering how I was going to get through the next day.

I was determined not to use any kind of `cry it out' method and had resigned myself to the fact that this was the way it was going to be. Fortunately, I stumbled across this book and within 6 weeks my baby was sleeping all night through and I felt fantastic!!

As clearly stated in the book the methods used do take time since they are not an overnight remedy. I decided to give myself 2 months. It was really hard work and for those 6 weeks I was even more tired than usual since the procedure used often had to repeated - but it was definitely worth it. We had very little success for the first month and I was becoming quite disheartened, worried that all this effort was going to be for nothing. Anyway, we somehow managed to stick to the plan and by the 5th week we started to see some dramatic improvement in the length of time my son slept between feeds. By the 6th week he was sleeping all night long. We still can't quite believe it.

The only advice I would give for anyone using the methods is to try and have lots of patience and try to remain really calm (easy to say - I know) at 2, 3, 4 o'clock in the morning. The first few weeks for us were really hard since progress was very slow - but I am very glad we stuck it out - it was really worth it.

Nowadays, when my baby sometimes wakes at night I pick him up for a quick cuddle and then lie him down (awake of course!) and as long as it isn't a teething problem he falls back to sleep himself, happily. Best of luck!