Profile for The Green Man > Reviews

Content by The Green Man

The Green Man (Broceliande)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Silence Fallen: Mercy Thompson Book 10
Silence Fallen: Mercy Thompson Book 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Mercedes, 8 Mar. 2017
Have you ever noticed the way some series start well and then fizzle out? If I'm honest, I was afraid that was going to be the fate of Mercy; I didn't like the new elements introduced in the last couple of books, and everything felt a little crowded and bogged down. Well this book puts my fear to rest. Briggs is back on form, with a fast moving story, containing several twists to keep the readers on their toes. Characterisation is as strong as ever, even as we learn some new information about some old characters. The change of place works surprisingly well; Mercy's reaction to Prague is handled convincingly, and the use of Prague's most famous legend is satisfying. This was so good I stayed up late at night to finish it, and I'm rereading it already.

Wrestling for Top: The Complete Collection
Wrestling for Top: The Complete Collection
by Jack Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabtastic!, 2 Jan. 2017
Not enough books like this around. All those gay guys into wrestling will LOVE it!

It's a Sin: Volume 1 (Summerskill and Lyon)
It's a Sin: Volume 1 (Summerskill and Lyon)
by Steve Burford

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first novel, 31 Aug. 2016
An excellent insight, not only into the world of modern policing, but also into the practical realities of contemporary gay life: "Do you know when a gay man stops coming out? Never." Not since Queer as Folk have I seen such a range of believable gay characters - middle class, working class, attractive, beaten down - including one who is thoroughly shallow and unpleasant. In addition there is a compelling mystery here, which carries conviction right through to the final twist. And did I mention the humour that runs throughout the novel? " ; It was thought you might be sympathetic. To the situation of...minorities.' 'Because I'm a woman?' ''No, because you're Welsh.' "

(In all fairness, I ought to add that the author is a friend of mine. However, the swine still insisted I buy my own copy. I'm glad I did.)

Rowdy Armstrong 1: Wrestling's New Golden Boy
Rowdy Armstrong 1: Wrestling's New Golden Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars HOT!, 19 Sept. 2015
A great book for anyone drawn to the seamy, sexy side of pro wrestling. This is the sort of sporting action you only dreamt about in your wildest fantasies. Warning - if you start reading it in the evening you'll be up all night!

Liesmith: Book 1 of The Wyrd
Liesmith: Book 1 of The Wyrd

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!, 26 July 2015
This was a great read! Alis takes Norse mythology and treats it with both freedom and respect, to create engaging urban fantasy with a gay dimension. I particularly enjoyed the first half, where characters are working out who they are, who others are, and how they feel about each other. In the second half there is a big battle against monsters, which seems compulsory in fantasy, but cost it a star in my reckoning.

Australia's producing a lot of fantasy these days. "Liesmith" stood head and shoulders above anything else I've read. Alis Franklin is a name to watch; I hope she'll be writing more soon.

Bad Jack (Ascension Book 1)
Bad Jack (Ascension Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, 1 Jun. 2015
This is one of the dullest books I've ever read. None of the characters come to life, and the writing is pedestrian and unemotional. Even the "big twist" at the end was predictable. This book was all tell and no show. I bought it because of the good reviews it had recieved, which is why I'm writing this. If they tempted you,save your money.

Sudoku Free
Sudoku Free

5.0 out of 5 stars splendid, 5 May 2015
This review is from: Sudoku Free (App)
The layouts may not have the classic symmetry of traditional sudoku, but in every other way this is an excellent way to kill time.

Hearts Free
Hearts Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough!, 24 April 2015
This review is from: Hearts Free (App)
An excellent game, much tougher than the computer version. A real challenge.

Witch Hunt (The Gryphonpike Chronicles Book 1)
Witch Hunt (The Gryphonpike Chronicles Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars An entertaining short story, 21 Sept. 2014
This is an introduction to a promising new fantsy world. The strangely chosen central cast are intriguing, and there are stories to be told about their past as well as their future. I enjoyed this tale and it left me wanting more.

Here There be Monsters (Dr Who)
Here There be Monsters (Dr Who)
by Andy Lane
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Here There be Brilliance, 2 July 2014
This early Companion Chronicle is one of the best. Carole Ann Ford does a splendid job, not only recreating Susan, but also giving convincing interpretations of Hartnell, Chesterton and Barbara - not to mention the non-human Captain Rostrum. Stephen Hancock puts in a solid performance as the First Mate, although he doesn't have much to do besides Ford. Andy Lane provides the script, and I reckon it's a beauty. There are references back to Coal Hill School (very pleasant to be reminded that Barbara was a History teacher, and to hear her making convincing parallels with the past), and an excellent explanation of why the Tardis was so erratic in the early days is given - but quietly, as an aside. In addition I was amused to note a clear borrowing from Tolkien, and to see how ingeniously a Middle Earth concept worked in outer space.

My only reservation over this was the framing device - Susan is recounting events to someone who was present at the time, which sometimes sounds awkward and strained. However, that wasn't enough to spoil my pleasure; I've listened to this several times already, and look forward to doing so many more times in the future.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8