Profile for JJ > Reviews

Content by JJ

JJ (devon, uk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Venom Xbox One Rechargeable Battery Twin Pack (Xbox One)
Venom Xbox One Rechargeable Battery Twin Pack (Xbox One)

4.0 out of 5 stars They're fine., 13 Jan. 2017
These are perfectly good battery packs - say they'll do 18 hours and I recorded 16.5 hours of play with them, so when you factor in menu screens and such, yeah I reckon they exceeded that. They are easy to charge and don't require and ugly dock with a bunch of garish LED's on it - awesome-, so if you want a battery pack, I'd recommend these. M

One star deducted because... well... like all battery packs for the xbox1, they're just worse than using rechargeable AA's lol! You buy a battery pack to use in place of AA's, and they occupy more volume than AA's, but... well my testing has come back conclusive:
Bog standard Duracell AA's - 56 hours game time.
Energiser 2000mAh rechargeable AA's - 52 hours game time
This pack - 16.5 hours game time.

Just get a pack of 4 energiser rechargeable a with a wall charger and you're sorted lol

Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD1
Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT525MX300SSD1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to see the cost coming down!, 15 Dec. 2016
Got this to move more of my stuff over to SSD from tradtitional hard drive. Just to pop in, the 1000 bytes Vs 1024 bytes thing means this will show up in your operating system as a 489GB.

I've had a crucial M550 drive as my main OS drive for almost exactly 2 years now, and bought this primarily to put my music collection on. I ran some benchmarks with this 44% full (no point benchmarking a new, empty drive against a 2 year old one lol). Over all i found them comperable. This can write a bit faster than the old one, but the old one had higher peak read speeds, so I'd say that it's a progression, but within 10% of each other. All in all from a performance perspective, I'd say likely no point upgrading from your existing SSD for speed, but it's a great way to get a lot of SSD storage at a low price, and the speed is plenty fast for all but enthusiasts.

As for the device, it came boxed and sealed same day from prime, shielded and ready to go. It isn't formatted yet however, so you'll have to format the drive prior to using - just connect it to your computer and open "disk management" to create a partition table and add partitions.

All in all highly recommended! Sure it's not much faster than they were 2 years ago, but it's more than fast enough for 99% of all uses, and it's at a price point where a 750GB SSD was £105 in the black friday sale!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Kaspersky Total Security 2016  3 Devices 1 Year - Multi Device [PC/MAC Download]
Kaspersky Total Security 2016 3 Devices 1 Year - Multi Device [PC/MAC Download]

5.0 out of 5 stars Download definitely works, recommeneded version - don't waste money on 2017!, 17 Nov. 2016
As previously mentioned, you don't download this from Amazon, you download it from kaspersky's website - you're just buying the licence key from amazon :)

Once purchased, you might not be taken to the download link by amazon, if not, on Amazon go to:
Your Account -.> Your Orders -> <find the kaspersky product you just bought> Go To Your Software Library ->

Once in your software library, you'll see one download for mac, and ond for PC - you don't need either. Under the PC download, you'll see your licence key, copy this. Next head to the my.kaspersky.com website and create an account, and verify your email. After verifying email, sign in and click on "licences" on the top bar. Paste in your licence from amazon and at the bottom you'll see your download link!

It seems a bit convoluted, but actually, it's becoming more common with digital downloads. Like I say I just wanted to reiterate that it's quite easy and not to be put off by the negative reviews - it took me less than 5 mins :)

As for kaspersky, it's still the best, I've been using it since bitdefender became too bloated, and this version seems just as good :) Don't worry about paying more for the 2017 version - you still get a full 356 day subscription with this one and it's £7 cheaper!

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Nintendo 3DS/2DS)
Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. (Nintendo 3DS/2DS)
Offered by Yellow Bulldog Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a flight because it was cheap, turned out to be a hidden gem of a game!, 1 Aug. 2016
Okay, so I didn't get it from Amazon, I was flying back from Melbourne and just looking for a cheap 3DS game for the flight as Australia has the same region, and this game was in the bargain bin (around £7.50) and the box looked interesting, it was a great choice!

I've looked up a few professional reviews and they seem mixed... but honestly I don't get why, the graphics are good (for a 3ds), the 3D is actually worth turning on, and the gameplay is great.

Of course the real caveat is that this is a turn based first person shooter, so really you have to like that sort of thing. Basically you have 12ish steam units per player per round and you can use them to move up to 12 tiles, shoot your weapon (uses 2-4 units per shot) and can save them for the oppositions turn to use to defend (DO THIS). Similarly your opponent has the same restrictions and you have to battle it out to get through a stage.

Where it truly shines is the style! Nintendo fans, we love Mario and Zelda and co, but it sometimes feels like it'd be nice to play something that isn't part of a dynasty, and this game is a rare gem. The steam punk idea is fun, the graphics are great, and it just feels fun and fresh. The AI is actually pretty well done. I see the game is from the people who do Fire Emblem, so that makes sense, but it is fun - sometimes they'll surprise you, and it's no a case of by level 2 you can totally predict what they'll do. A couple of times they employ the "unlimited enemy mobs" thing that I really dislike, but I suppose that's a personal preference.

One thing that really works is the first person perspective. You can't always see where all the enemy are and you don't have a total "god mode", really adding to the immersive feel of the levels. The levels are a good length for a mobile game, and have save points in the probably 20 minute stages, so it's good for whipping out and playing.

Over all I highly recommend it, no idea why it's so cheap, but take advantage of it!

Apple MacBook with Retina Display 12-inch Laptop (Intel Core 1.1 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Intel HD, OS X Yosemite) - Gold - 2015 - MK4M2B/A - UK Keyboard

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent... until real life catches up with it., 29 Jun. 2016
About 90% of your experience with this product will depend on your views, experience and opinions of the mac platform in general, So I first want to make it clear that my three star rating is in comparison to it's mac competition - the Air and Pro lines. I feel most people will first decide to buy a PC or a mac, then a model, so I'm not sure how helpful it would be to start comparing the operating system to a Dell for example.

Disclaimer over, I actually purchased this from the Apple store, and long story short, I returned it just inside the 14 day return window. The good first: the keyboard is full size, the screen is retina and the battery really does last 10 hours web browsing. It's super portable and the colours that you might think will be really tacky actually look very good even the 10th or 20th time you get it out of it's case.

So what's wrong with it? Well really, they just took it all a bit too far. You have no USB port or SD card reader, no HDMI port or thunderbolt port. Now I know that's the thing we all know going in to this, but you're really quickly going to notice these things, even if you think you went in expecting them. Use a USB stick? need an adapter. Scan a document? need an adapter, headphones? adapter, want to show your presentation on the big screen? adapter (not a cheap one!), want to charge your macbook? it's using the port.... you guessed it - adapter. I mean when you first pick it up and use it, it's amazing. Put it in a slip case and take it with you; brilliant! The trouble is that within 10 day's you're carrying an expensive life support kit everywhere you go with it.

I strongly advise the macbook Pro 13 inch instead - price is basically the same, battery life is the same, screen's the same, processor and graphics are better and it can handle real life. only downside is an extra pound or so of weight, which you really won't notice once you aren't carrying a bag of adapters as well as your slip case. I really hope Apple learn from this mistake before forcing the same thing on the Pro line...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2017 11:52 PM BST

Mr Holmes
Mr Holmes
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful British drama, 11 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Mr Holmes (Amazon Video)
A beautiful British drama. It's always refreshing when one of these comes along, though I have little doubt it won't be for everybody. If you're looking for a new instalment of the BBC's Sherlock, with all it's eccentricities and excitement, you'll probably be very disappointed. Similarly if you tend to prefer Hollywood movies to British or European cinema, it may not be your cup of latte. Nothing wrong with either - to each their own of course - but ,if you do love a good British movie, then get ready for a film I have no problems with comparing to the seminal "Good Night, Mr Tom".

There's no bad guy or new case to solve here; we find Mr Holmes in his 90's both afflicted by his past and in search of it. With more than just a bit of luck we may all live beyond our prime, and here is a wonderful pondering upon what happened to one of crime literature's most beloved gentlemen after we've placed the last book back on the shelf. A powerful and important exploration of old age, both beautifully sad and joyously heartwarming. Enjoy on a rainy Sunday afternoon with the kind of people who don't talk through movies, and a blanket of course.

The Recreated Sinclair ZX Spectrum
The Recreated Sinclair ZX Spectrum
Offered by HomeandGarden

2.0 out of 5 stars A good wireless keyboard, spectrum not included, 8 Jun. 2016
Maybe I'm being harsh on this, but it's just a bluetooth keyboard being marketed as a gaming console, so actually I don't feel that mean. They do a pretty decent job of recreating the spectrum keyboard, but the emulator is an app on your phone - this thing is just a joypad, and at the moment it seems like a lock-in emulator so you can't even add your own roms.

Nice for a collector, maybe someone can hack it with a pi zero to actually make it a modern spectrum... now wait, theres an idea....

Aerolite 2 Wheel Super Lightweight Hand Luggage Cabin Suitcase (18", 47cm, 26L, Royal Blue) - Suitable for all major airlines, including Ryanair and Easyjet

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for an in-flight bag, probably not so great for checked luggage., 24 Mar. 2016
Item arrived today, 6 days ahead of scheduled delivery which was fantastic. I'll update the review as I use it.

First of all the weight - the real reason you buy this. My three luggage scales agree that the weight of the smallest one is a little over the 1.61KG advertised, averaging around 1.69KG. This in itself isn't a big deal; 80g isn't a lot, but most airlines have a 7KG overhead limit, so tin that context I felt it was reinvent to mention, even if to me it makes no difference. The reality is it's less than half the weight of the slightly larger bag it's replacing (about 8CM taller, 2CM deeper) that took up half that 7KG allowance by itself.

Next consideration for buyers: build quality. I'm going to be totally honest here and be realistic. This bag is designed to be as light as possible. It is unreasonable to assume that you can magically get the same ruggedness of a bag twice the weight, I'm afraid science is against us on this one. Some users have said that the internal lining has ripped within a few uses and I can certainly see this being a possibility. the lining is very thin, and the exterior material is also thinner. The structure of the body can be seen by unzipping the security inspection zip in the lining, so I'll add a photo so you can see the extent of the weight cutting - the plastic frame is thinner and less solid than a heavier bag. the bottom where the wheels are is able to flex without a lot of weight in there. The overall structure of the case is a lot more flexible than you may be used to, but again this is due to the reduction of structural supports to bring the weight down. Stitching could probably be better, but at £18.99 its still an absolute bargain. At full price, maybe you want to look again at the competition, but for low weight this does seem to be the best around in this price range.

For an in-flight bag it certainly seems amazing - my 65 year old mother picked it up over her head with ease and we've ordered one for her for her in-flight bag. For checked luggage, based on this one I cannot recommend it. The way airport handlers treat your baggage, I just don't think these bags could stand up to being chucked about willy nilly. Checked luggage you really want something tougher I'd have thought. (Note I do not recommend those hardshell cases without zips; we found out recently that some of the corrupt baggage handlers have the TSA keys - basically a key to your luggage! Get a tough fabric bag and padlock the zip then zip-tie the zipper to one end so it cannot be moved. Also put some electrical tape over the TSA locks).

All in all great price, perfect cabin bag, build quality could be better

Python 3 Object-oriented Programming - Second Edition
Python 3 Object-oriented Programming - Second Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't get the kindle version., 15 Feb. 2016
A really excellent, easy to read and understand book.

I would rate it 5 stars, but I'm docking one for the kindle implementation. Sadly like so many code books, the kindle version isn't up to the challenge. As I say, not unique to this book, but white space and layout are crucial to python, and having the author's careful layout messed up by a lazy publisher really lets it down. I must admit my patience for this has run out. Clearly the publishers use an automated conversion process from the original manuscript and then don't proof read it. It's sad but those pirated scans of books in PDF actually put more effort in. E-books must be a cash cow for publishers as they don't actually have to print the book, just upload a file and collect the money, but here, again, they don't seem to have put the same effort into publishing the kindle version as the text version.

Speaking of the text version, it really is excellent. The intro says this book would suit all switching to python3 regardless of experience, but I think really you'll get the most out of it if you have just finished some intro to python and want to go further. If you are proficient in OOP in another language or a seasoned Python 2 developer, the simplistic language style that makes this book so marvellous to the uninitiated may well drive you round the bend on your search for the answers, but for those still learning afresh, the examples are clear and the analogies very strong.

A great wealth of pythonic information is covered very easily, including design patters, which was a nice bonus. I truly recommend this book to the intermediate python programmer who has just got comfortable with the basics and is looking to take the next steps. Not a beginners text however.

Zoggs Predator Flex Reactor Swimming Goggles
Zoggs Predator Flex Reactor Swimming Goggles
Offered by david jailler

4.0 out of 5 stars perfectly usable goggles, maybe a little OTT., 28 Jan. 2016
Okay first up I don't own these. I borrowed them off a colleague this week because It's time to replace my Speedo Futura Biofuse after 5 or 6 years and I'm shopping around. I've swam three swims with them 1x 1.5km indoor and 2x ~2.25km outdoor. So I don't have long term usage of them, but I also tested a pair that have been run in.

My initial response to the name when they were recommended to me was that it sounded like a ridiculous mens razor. 'mach 8, turbo, power, edge, glide, vmax'. To be honest my opinion of them is pretty much the same - a perfectly good goggle without flaws, but totally over the top on features that just push the price up.

I liked the knowledge that it was the maximum UV coating or outdoor swimming. It's often hard to find out how much UV resistance "UV protection" goggles actually provide, so this was a real bonus. The fit is also easy and water tight. Bare in mind these were adjusted for someone else and I had to remove the strap and wash thoroughly before and after using them, so that was a bonus too.

There weren't really many cons, just features I didnt see much point in. The reactor lenses actually seemed a bad idea though. When you are resting they are going dark, and when you are swimming they are getting lighter because your head is submerged. In an indoor pool they are utterly pointless, and in an outdoor pool, I can't help but think you'd be better off with just smoked and mirrored lenses. The reality is that you could buy a pair of clear or blue lensed goggles for indoor swimming and a pair of smoked or mirrored goggles for outdoor swimming for the price of the predator flex reactor turbo extreme super dooper goggles. The 'wide angle' view took a bit of getting used to but is quite good if the pool is crowded, but then this is available on the standard half-the-price predators.

Other than that I couldn't find any discernible difference between them and my speedo futura. Both easy to adjust, both fit snug, both good goggles. It's only the price that's the difference, and possibly the UV rating, but then the kids zoggs say uv400 on them, so I'd be surprised if the standard predators don't have it.

I'll be sticking with the Speedo Futura Biofuse, purely because these have lasted so me so long, but really based on using these I'd imagine the standard zoggs predators are equally as suitable. The only difference between the two brands seems to be the wider viewing angle on the predators. I couldn’t for the life of me tell you if this is a good thing though. It's certainly not a deal maker. As for these... like I say, great goggles, but mirrored lenses would be cheaper, simpler and better. At this price, I really recommend getting an indoor and an outdoor pair of goggles for the same price. If you don't swim outdoors, lets be honest, you don't need these - get some clear lenses, or if you get a lot of glare at your local pool, some blue lenses.

**Just a footnote on "fogging":
There's very few goggle reviews you'll see where this isn't a thing, or doesn't become a thing. This happens to all goggles, some sooner, some later. Fogging happens sooner if you clean or touch the inside of your goggles, if they are dirty, or if you have makeup on. You can waste a lot of money chasing fog-free goggles and then buying new ones a few months later when it wears off. I seriously recommend just buying de-fogger and treating your goggles every few weeks. I've used Zogg's "Fogbuster" for years and it's amazing - it resurrected my Futura's after they went through the washing machine and kept them going until the seal finally gave out. It's also better than the manufaturer's coating, even if it wears off faster. Just treat it as essential goggle maintenance and you'll be laughing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3