Profile for O. C. Heaton > Reviews

Content by O. C. Heaton

O. C. Heaton

OfficeWorld Compatible Ink Cartridges Replacement for 364XL Compatible for HP Photosmart 5510 5511 5512 5514 5515 5520 5522 5524 6510 6520 6512 6515 7510 7520 7515 B8550 B8558 B110c B010a C5370 C5383 C5388 C6324 C6380 D5460 D7560 C310a C410a B209a B210a Deskjet 3070A
Offered by IfreeMall

1.0 out of 5 stars Incompatible Cartridges, 21 Nov. 2016
useless - constantly saying Incompatible.
Don't go near this produce.

Rude Health Morning Glory Organic Porridge 500g - CLF-RUD-RHMG
Rude Health Morning Glory Organic Porridge 500g - CLF-RUD-RHMG
Offered by Best4Deals

1.0 out of 5 stars Its not organic just regular so beware, 28 Sept. 2014
BEWARE - this is not organic porridge. Its just regular porridge. I've raised this with the seller as a misrepresentation but no change to the description as yet.

The Simpsons Jumbo Whoopee Cushion (approx 17cm diameter)
The Simpsons Jumbo Whoopee Cushion (approx 17cm diameter)
Offered by THE UK STORES

1.0 out of 5 stars Great whilst it latest, 12 July 2013
It was great. And then it burst 2 days in much to my youngest's annoyance. Won't be buying another. Not at this price

Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun)
Nights of Villjamur (Legends of the Red Sun)
by Mark Charan Newton

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my genre but now a fantasy convert, 17 April 2012
Now's here's an unusual book. I discovered the author Mark Charan Newton through Social Media. Who says it doesn't work. He has a great blog. If you like all things green and drenched in whiskey then it's for you! He also writes fantasy novels. I have to confess the last one I probably read was Lord of the Rings back when I was sixteen. It's not really my genre so I can probably give a different perspective to the many hard core fantasy readers to whom this book is aimed.
I have to say the story took a lot of getting into but on reflection that was no bad thing. It certainly wasn't because it was poorly written or boring. Far from it. It was intentional as Newton carefully created his world for me. One where an Ice Age is coming to a city called Villjamur, the centre of a millennium old empire. Along the way we are introduced to some very interesting characters all of which play central roles in the unfolding drama. No one particularly dominates the narrative which I liked although that may grate for people used to a main protagonist. Chancellor Urtica, a devious politician who is on a power grab after the unexpected death of his emperor; Dartun, an ancient cultist trying to preserve his life mainly at the expense of others; Brynd Lathraea a closet gay and career soldier, caught up in the machinations of both the politics and mother earth; Investigator Jeryd of the city's Inquisition who is investigating some very strange deaths whilst dealing with a personal crisis of his own making. And perhaps my favourite, Randur, a low born playboy trying to rescue his mother from certain death.
Interestingly the fantasy seems to play second fiddle or at the very least, a supporting role to the journey these characters are caught up in all of which is played out against the impending Ice Age and the social and economic impact this will have on the City. But when it's introduced it really left an impression on me. The Banshees, who mourn the dead as they fall, the living paint (ingenious) that causes death and the undead who are, well, not alive. Perhaps the only `fantasy' element which disappointed me slightly were the species introduced late in the story. They seemed a little unimaginative particularly after some of the earlier creativity and I was desperate for an inventive climax particularly after the buildup.
Newton is a careful writer. I get the sense that everything happens for a reason and is written in a certain way for a reason. I found that very comforting once I had attuned myself to the flow of the novel. It builds slowly, purposefully to an interesting climax which answers many questions raised along the way but leaves enough unresolved to carry you effortlessly into the second book.
All in all a great read. Mark Charan Newton has a convert and also got me hooked and I will be starting City of Ruin shortly.

Petroplague
Petroplague

5.0 out of 5 stars Where Sci meets Fi, 11 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Petroplague (Kindle Edition)
PetroPlague is not an epidemic thriller in the genre of The Andromeda Strain or Hot Zone and more recently Steven Soderburgh's 2011 offering, Contagion where a pathogen attacks the local population and suddenly the future of mankind hangs in the balance. No. This is way more inventive and timely than that and cuts right to the fragility of our modern day lifestyles. One that is utterly dependent on oil to power them, an addiction that shows no sign of ending, even as we slowly choke the planet and deplete the known reserves of available oil.
Against this backdrop two scientists are looking at ways to develop a type of bacteria that can help oil companies extract hard to reach oil captured in shale deep underground. We know them as tar sands for which fracking has acquired such a questionable reputation over the last few years.
At the same time some eco terrorists destroy the holding tanks in which the shale oil bacteria is being tested and unwittingly release it into the wild whereupon it gets up to all sorts of mischief including converting petrol into acetic acid and hydrogen gas, thus rendering it useless and in turn bringing LA to a literal standstill - a delicious irony not lost on this reader. As you can imagine pandemonium ensues causing the national government in DC to cordon off LA in an attempt to contain the petrol eating virus before it cripples the entire American economy.
As a non US American I found this part of the book especially appealing - it's been an oft quoted statistic of mine that the US emits 25% of the worlds CO2 with only 10 % of the population so the thought that this could be drastically reduced over night has a somewhat macabre appeal. I'm not the only one. The eco terrorists spot an opportunity and launch a plan to release the plague worldwide without realising the full consequences of their actions. I won't spoil it for you but needless to say Rogers segues the science into a fast paced thriller as scientists rush to find a cure for the plague which threatens not only mankinds way of life but their very existence as the very real consequences of a petroless future begins to play out in hungry LA.
Brilliant stuff. Admittedly I found some of the science impenetrable but no more than in a Crichton book - as a non scientist I didn't have a problem with this. I understood enough to grab the premise and long past the point where some of the explanations lost me I had bought into the believability of the science so it didn't matter. In fact it just added to the author's credibility which is further enhanced in the Prologue where she points out where science fact meets fiction.
I can't wait for your next Sci with Fi thriller.