Profile for dnmartin87 > Reviews

The Road
The Road
by Cormac McCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful book. To me, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Road (Paperback)
Those unfamiliar with Mccarthy's style will no doubt find this a challenging read. His lack of punctuation may appear allegorical in regards to this novel but it is a trademark of the author. When I was first introduced to his works I struggled at first but I persevered and I'd advise others to do so.

This is a wonderful book. To me, the post-apocalyptic setting is merely incidental to the relationship between the father and son which is so lovingly drawn. The ending had me welling up which, as someone who is only usually moved by the misfortunes of Nottingham Forest, is a rare feat.

The Children Act
The Children Act
by Ian McEwan

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull, 19 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Children Act (Hardcover)
My first, and last, McEwan novel. The main protagonist is unrecognisable from anyone I know and the young boy is irritating beyond belief. Add that to the stereotyping of 4 faiths and the arse-achingly dull references to classical music and I fail to see how anyone could enjoy this novel.

Offal: The Fifth Quarter
Offal: The Fifth Quarter
by Anissa Helou

4.0 out of 5 stars intimidating at first but worth persevering, 6 Mar. 2014
as food prices seem to be exponentially rising (80p for a solitary red pepper in my local 'super' market) I have been searching for ways in which to reduce my food costs. offal seemed like a sensible area to explore which is why i bought this book. upon opening it i have to say that i was pretty intimidated; tripe, eyes, brains, lungs... you get the picture. however, that's to be expected from a book which is entitled 'offal' so i pulled myself together. so far i have only ventured so far as a kidneys and liver, both of which were enjoyable. if you're after something completely different to almost all other cook books, one which opens up an entire new area of cooking or if you're adventurous with your food then this is a book that should interest you.

Toro Bravo
Toro Bravo
by Crain

4.0 out of 5 stars the chef seems a bit of a pillock, the food's good though, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Toro Bravo (Hardcover)
the first chunk of the book is taken up with the chef's autobiography. forgive me if i found this fatuous and over-indulgent; I did not purchase this book for anyone's life story but more for recipe's. Thankfully these are in abundance in the rest of the book and are both accessible and delicious. worthwhile.

Vegetable Literacy: Cooking and Gardening with Twelve Families from the Edible Plant Kingdom, with Over 300 Deliciously Simple Recipes
by Deborah Madison

5.0 out of 5 stars a great addition to your book shelf, 6 Mar. 2014
as someone who grew up on vegetables boiled until the point of mercy I have a slight aversion to anything which grows out of the ground. I bought this book to help make vegetables interesting and enticing and I have to say I was very impressed. An encyclopedia of vegetables is perhaps how to best describe it. a great addition to anyone's book shelf.

Diary of a Dog-walker: Time spent following a lead
Diary of a Dog-walker: Time spent following a lead
by Edward Stourton

5.0 out of 5 stars both heart-breaking and -warming, 14 Jan. 2014
I picked this up as an impulse buy as I was attracted to the illustration on the cover. at the time I had recently had to have dog and best friend of 11 years put to sleep after a long and painful battle with liver disease. He, like the dog in the book, was a Springer Spaniel so upon seeing the handsome creature on the cover I couldn't not buy it.

By no means is this a literary classic. It is neither hard-hitting nor insightful but then it does not seek to be. A charming book which had me both crying with tears and with laughter as it allowed me to reminisce about the times my family and I enjoyed with our beloved dog Charlie. Perhaps that is why I found the book to be so endearing and why it is one of my favourite reads from the past few years.

The Sauce Bible: 400 Fail-safe Recipes to Transform Everyday Dishes into Feasts, Shown in Step by Step in 1400 Photographs
by Catherine Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference book, 14 Jan. 2014
great reference book to have in your kitchen. simple and easy to follow, it's something which will be used again and again

Slow Fire
Slow Fire
by Ray Lampe

5.0 out of 5 stars accessible bbq, 14 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Slow Fire (Hardcover)
After being a little disappointed with the Pitt Cue & Co. cook book I bought this after seeing the reviews on here. far more accessible bbq and a much simpler approach. for a bbq beginner like me it is the perfect bbq book

Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food
by Tom Kerridge

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disappointing. salt and sugar abounds!, 14 Jan. 2014
As others have said, this is not 'pub grub' as most people conceive it. There is a lot of salt and sugar in the recipe's and this is not a cook book if you're looking to lose a few pounds post-Christmas. The baked bean recipe was far too sweet for me although the treacle cured beef was delicious. a fair enough book but not something to rave about as others have suggested.

Barrafina: A Spanish Cookbook
Barrafina: A Spanish Cookbook
by Eddie Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars decent addition to your book shelf, 14 Jan. 2014
I'd been searching for a Spanish cook book for a while and seeing the glowing reviews on here prompted me to purchase this one. Some of the ingredients are difficult to source if you don't live near a decent deli or food market but there are enough recipes featuring easy to find ingredients to make it a worthwhile purchase. Not as great as some have suggested, at least in my opinion, but a useful addition to your cook book collection.

Page: 1 | 2