Profile for Ruth Fanshaw > Reviews

Content by Ruth Fanshaw

Ruth Fanshaw "Happy Odd Girl" (Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
The Shattered Island: Part One: The Rakam
The Shattered Island: Part One: The Rakam
by Karpov Kinrade

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing little story, set in a fascinating world, 20 May 2016
This is an intriguing little book. :)

STUFF I LIKED:

The world in which the story is set is fascinating. I look forward to exploring it further in future books. :)

I found many of the characters interesting and likeable, especially the captain of the first ship. I hope he'll come back in future books.

The hero is loyal, and sometimes kind. (Though I would have preferred always kind.)

The storyline is good.

The writers know how set up a mystery, how much info to give out at a time, and when to give you the final payoff.

They also know how to build up a good, satisfying dramatic effect. :)

STUFF I DID NOT LIKE SO MUCH:

The hero is sometimes ruthless. In the words of Terry Pratchett, you can't do what the bad guys do and still say, "We're the good guys." But perhaps he'll have a character arc in future books that will get him past all that stuff.

It's written in first person present tense, which pretty much forces the writers into a "telling" style, rather than a "showing" style. (However, I did enjoy it more than any other present tense story I've ever tried to read.)

The story feels a little rushed in places. I hope future stories in this series will be longer. :)

CONCLUSION:

Overall, this was an absorbing and satisfying read. :) I'll be on the look out for future titles in this series.

Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
Your First 1000 Copies: The Step-by-Step Guide to Marketing Your Book
by Tim Grahl

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Little Book :), 22 Mar. 2016
This is a very useful little book for anyone looking to make a living from writing books, whether traditionally published or self published, whether of fiction or non-fiction.

It outlines Mr Grahl's "Connection System" of marketing, which has 4 parts:

1) Permission
2) Content
3) Outreach
4) Selling

Mr Grahl explains his system clearly, and gives a lot of helpful advice for how to set up each of the elements of the system, along with plentiful examples of what sort of content to use, and so on. He also gives links to his website for his most up-to-date recommendations on the best technology to use, for example, to track your statistics, send out email newsletters, etc.

Each chapter is split into small sections - most less than a page - so you can read it in bite size chunks, whenever you have a few minutes spare. And the style of writing is conversational and easy to follow.

The book is very encouraging, and made me feel that this is something I could actually do.

I recommend this book. :)

5 Secrets of Story Structure: How to Write a Novel That Stands Out (Helping Writers Become Authors Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Short & Sweet :D, 1 Mar. 2016
Great little book. :) Useful tips and info.

Intended as an "upgrade" to the author's book "Structuring Your Novel", in lieu of a new edition.

Storming: A Dieselpunk Adventure Novel
Storming: A Dieselpunk Adventure Novel
by K.M. Weiland

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun adventure story. :), 26 Jan. 2016
My advice: Do NOT read the back cover!! It gives WAY too much away!

But DO read the book. The book is good. :)

So anyway... This is, for the most part, a fun adventure story. :)

It has two antagonists who are also opposed to one another, which makes for an interesting dynamic in the story. This also means that there are two 'showdowns' at the end. And neither of them, to me, felt anticlimactic. :)

The characters are engaging and three-dimensional. I became especially fond of Walter. :) But I think Nan was, perhaps, the most interesting character of all. I had a lot of sympathy for Nan.

The premise is an intriguing one. And if you follow my advice and don't read the back cover, there's a nice little mystery element to mull over. :)

All in all, I found this a very enjoyable read. :) I would certainly recommend it to lovers of adventure stories. :)

Lakeland Large Lingerie Bra Clean Wash Net Bags - D - GG x 2 - White
Lakeland Large Lingerie Bra Clean Wash Net Bags - D - GG x 2 - White
Offered by Coolest Bargains

5.0 out of 5 stars It does seem to keep the underwires from working out ..., 12 Nov. 2015
It does seem to keep the underwires from working out, which is what I bought it for. However, the zipper tends to come undone in the wash - but this can be solved by putting a safety pin through the hole in the zip fastener and fastening it through the seam just beyond it. :)

GHZ 102268-01 Soap Nut Shells 1 kg
GHZ 102268-01 Soap Nut Shells 1 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars They do work! :), 12 Nov. 2015
These things really do work! :) I put 4 in the little bag, and I find I can use them about 6 times. Then they start to break down, and you have to put new ones in. But I'm saving the old ones, because I read that you can boil them up and make hand soap. I haven't tried that yet - but they're very good value for money, either way! :)

One extra tip - if you put a little bicarbonate of soda in the wash as well, it works as both a stain remover and a fabric softener. :)

University Games Bunny Jump
University Games Bunny Jump

5.0 out of 5 stars who seems happy with it, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: University Games Bunny Jump (Toy)
Bought this for my little niece, who seems happy with it. :)

Vikings [DVD]
Vikings [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neil Oliver

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Vikings [DVD] (DVD)
Love this series. Interesting and very informative. :)

Mystery Mile
Mystery Mile
by Margery Allingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Mystery Mile (Paperback)
One of the best Campion books. :)

Sweet Danger
Sweet Danger
by Margery Allingham

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Campion at his best.: ) A great adventure story, 12 Nov. 2015
This review is from: Sweet Danger (Paperback)
Mr Campion at his best. :) A great adventure story. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4