Profile for Mendo Shutaro > Reviews

Content by Mendo Shutaro

Mendo Shutaro (Leamington)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oral-B Smart Series 6000 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity and Smart Series Powered by Braun (Packaging May Vary) - Ships with 2 pin UK plug

4.0 out of 5 stars A good toothbrush, but the gimmicks are pointless, 28 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mechanically this is a perfectly sound toothbrush. You turn it on, the end vibrates, and you can brush your teeth. This however, is something which would be achieved just as well on a toothbrush costing a fraction of the cost of this. What then does this premium price tag buy?

It arrives in a huge box, albeit one with a spelling error in plain view as one of the main product features. Not a promising start. Inside there is a gigantic chunk of non recyclable polystyrene. The box contains plenty besides the toothbrush, including a chunky plastic case for four brush heads (four different ones are supplied), a carrying case, a charging dock, a stand alone timer, and a manual which has several more spelling errors in it.

My previous toothbrush was the model below this, which seemed to be identical in every way except the headline feature of this model - bluetooth connectivity. It seems everything now needs bluetooth and an app, so I downloaded the Oral-B app from the app store and tried it out for a few days. The app is essentially a replacement for the stand alone timer, with some minor added functionality, such as logging whenever the toothbrush is used. If you have multiple family members using the same toothbrush base, then the app will of course record all of those uses. As long as the app was running I could still get it to sync from the next room, so if all you care about is logging then there's no need to take your phone into the bathroom with you. Personally I brush my teeth twice a day even without the lure of a smiley face in an app, so I won't be using this gimmick again. The app does at least give you news headlines to read while brushing, which is nice enough if slightly reminiscent of being stuck in an airport waiting room watching those bland international news feed stations they always seem to have playing.

One downside which could cause annoyance- the toothbrush emits a blinking blue light when charging, which is clearly visible in my bedroom when the toothbrush is charging in the en suite. It's not a subtle light at all, it's seriously bright. I haven't yet found any way to disable it.

There's nothing wrong with this toothbrush (disclaimer: I got it for free from the Amazon Vine programme), but it smacks of a product with needless extras slapped onto it to justify a high price tag. You can do without all of them, so buy a cheaper model and save yourself some money.

Joseph Joseph Nest Compact Storage Containers, Classic - Multi-Colour, 6 Piece Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovation in a plastic box, strange but true!, 15 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How do you do something new with a plastic box? It is, afterall, just a box, made of plastic. Surprisingly, Joseph Joseph have actually managed to do some new things with this most mundane of kitchen items. Firstly, the boxes nest together for storage, which is a nice feature at times, although once you start using multiple boxes it makes for a less elegant nest as the lids no longer clip together. Secondly, the colourful lids are colourful for a reason - there is a correspondingly coloured dot inside each box, so you can easily find the right size lid. For me though, the best aspect of these boxes is simply that they're nicely made and finished, and the lids clip on without any sort of mechanical catch or flap. I generally find these sort of latched boxes fall apart after a while, so the simpler design here should hold up better in the long run.

So there you have it, Joseph Joseph have managed to do something clever to the plastic box. Nice work chaps.

Short Peace Rankos Tsukigimes Longest Day (PS3)
Short Peace Rankos Tsukigimes Longest Day (PS3)
Offered by TIME AFTER TIME STOCK

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting movie bundled with a terrible game, 17 May 2014
For reasons I cannot fathom, Namco have decided to bundle the latest from auteur animator and manga-ka Otomo Katsuhiro with a PS3 game. The two are not unrelated, in fact the game is apparently the last of the five parts of this short story package. That said, it still feels utterly alien when sat alongside the movie, and should have been sold seperately. To review this then, is to review the film and the game separately.

The film is called Short Peace, and is comprised of four short stories, all CG animated rather than the cell animation more commonly used in anime. They're mostly wordless, and also pretty story light. Otomo has form in the portmanteau genre, as he has previously made "Robot Carnival" and "Memories". Personally I found the stories in Short Peace to be the weakest of the three films, although they're certainly still interesting, and beautiful to look at. It's not Akira level stuff of course, but it's entertaining, unusual, and looks expensive. It is however, very short.

The game is an incredibly simple horizontally scrolling platform game with basic visuals. It's very dull, and looks like it belongs on an iPhone. There are some nice cut scenes (which are totally unconnected to the game), but they can't save this incredibly weak effort. Interestingly the game is apparently made by Suda 51, who enjoyed a brief 5 minutes of fame during the Gamecube era, before dropping out of sight and focussing on sleazy, low budget echi games.

To force people to pay the price of a retail PS3 game for this is really too much to ask. Instead, the movie should have been released on a standard blu-ray (the disc is a hybrid, and the movie bit should play on any BD player) for a £10 or so. The game, to be frank, should never have been released so low is its quality, so at best it should have been £2 or £3 on PSN.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 11:56 PM GMT

Linksys EA6400 Dual Band AC1600 Smart Wi-Fi Router with Gigabit Ethernet and USB 3.0
Offered by NETWORK LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Uneven performance, and a serious flaw..., 17 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My previous router was an ASUS Dark Knight, which I finally chose after testing several other routers. It's been reliable and quick, although it was always poor when it came to serving wifi to my PS3. This Linksys then, had to be at least as good to stand any chance of supplanting my trusty ASUS.

Installation was standard stuff and took about 10 minutes. Once up and running I ran various speed tests on several devices, some upstairs (right next to the router), and some downstairs through several walls. My results all use my Virgin Media 120mbit connection:

iPad Mini Retina - 802.11n 5ghz
ASUS Dark Knight - 117mbits (upstairs), 88mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 - 127mbits (upstairs), 127mbits (downstairs)

iPhone 5 - 802.11n 5ghz
ASUS Dark Knight 47mbits (upstairs), 40mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 - 92mbits (upstairs), 42mbits (downstairs)

Playstation 3 - 802.11g 2.4ghz
ASUS Dark Knight 14mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 3mbits (downstairs)

Playstation 4 - 802.11n 2.4ghz
ASUS Dark Knight 4mbits (downstairs)
LinkSys EA6400 4mbits (downstairs)

For my Apple devices, performance was improved from the already impressive levels achieved by the ASUS. My Playstations though, went from poor to even worse. I don't know why Sony's wifi is so slow, it's been bad with every router I've tried, and on multiple PS3s. Curiously I've always found Xbox wifi to be worse again, so slow as to be completely unusable. I can't really put it down to the house, as my Apple devices have no problems in any area of the house.

The router also has DLNA support, which I wasn't able to test as I don't have a spare hard drive to hand. There are also some LinkSys apps you can download for iOS and Android which allow remote access to the network, to block certain services, monitor network activity, and share media. Surprisingly these apps are not free, so I didn't download any of them.

Overall then a very nice router, if you live in an Apple household.

UPDATE - For the past couple of days the router has been capping my broadband at 30mbits. I assumed it was my ISP (the always unreliable Virgin Media) acting up again. After several router and modem reboots, the speed stayed at 30mbits. Out of curiosity, I plugged in my old ASUS router and as if by magic, normal 120mbit service was resumed. Needless to say, the Linksys will no longer be serving up internet in my home.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 9:47 AM BST

The World's Best Spicy Food: Where to Find it & How to Make it (Lonely Planet Food & Drink)
by Lonely Planet Food

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, varied, but sometimes too obscure, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As I pretty much live on spicy food, and I only ever eat food I have cooked myself, this should be an ideal book for me. The food on offer is varied, extremely so in fact, so if you were (like me) expecting mostly Indian food, you'll be surprised. There are a couple of Indian dishes in here, but nothing hugely interesting, and bizarrely the author has also included that most generic of all curries, Chicken Tikka Masala.

The rest of the book is fortunately much better, and having made several of the dishes now I can safely say that there are some seriously spicy things on offer. The sort of spice level that leaves your lips and tongue feeling numb for half an hour after you've finished eating. There's a little bit of history on each dish and its origins too, although sometimes a picture of the food's homeland is used rather than one of the dish itself.

There are a few niggles though. Some of the ingredients are, to say the least, obscure. I don't recall ever seeing fermented fish stomach in Tesco for example, and there are several others too which may be beyond even the scope of a good Asian grocery store. Given that this is a book written by a British author and targeted at a British audience, this seems like a bit of an oversight. Another oddity is that the author lists what you would expect to pay for each of these dishes in.... US dollars. Very odd, and for a UK audience, completely meaningless.

Still, there are still some interesting and unusual recipes here, the majority of which you should be able to make if you have a good Asian grocery shop nearby.

Bosch Rotak 37 LI Ergoflex Cordless 36 Volt Lithium-ion Rotary Lawnmower (37 cm Cutting Width) (discountinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works nicely, once you manage to assemble it, 5 May 2014
Having had a petrol mower for years, I found them very heavy, smelly, noisy, and a chore to maintain. A battery powered power seemed like a good idea then.

First things first though, assembly was far from easy. As is the norm these days, the instructions consisted of a handful of vague diagrams devoid of text. They weren't the difficult bit though, that honour goes to snapping the grass collection box together. What should have been simple took a monumental amount of strength, so I can only assume, or at least hope, that my particular grass box was manufactured in a somewhat defective fashion. With that finally done, assembling the handles was easier but still fiddlier than it should have been, mostly down to the total lack of useable instructions.

Once assembled, (and after working out how to enable the battery - the horrible instructions again to blame) I mowed the lawn very nicely in less time than my old petrol mower. The Bosch is light weight, relatively speaking, and fairly quiet too. I found the angle of the handle bars rather too low (and I'm of average height), and there's no way to adjust them unfortunately, but other than that, it worked very nicely.

As for the battery, the mower comes with a separate charger, which is huge and heavy, and the battery apparently charges in around an hour. I was able to mow my average sized lawn in about 20 minutes, and the battery was less than half depleted.

Apple  In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic for iPhone
Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic for iPhone

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound, difficult to insert, and unreliable., 17 April 2014
The Apple logo is usually a clear indicator of a quality product, so when I was shopping for some higher quality headphones with ambient noise reduction I chose these. Sadly these headphones are far from impressive.

Firstly I found getting them into my ears required quite some time and effort, and even then they're prone to working their way out in time. This is perhaps a problem common to other in ear headphones, but as these were my first experience of this type of headphone, I couldn't say for sure.

Secondly the sound quality is decidedly unimpressive. There is essentially no bass, and in all honesty the quality sounded much the same as standard Apple ear buds. Ambient noise cancellation was passable, but far from impressive. I also found, and having done a bit of research I know this is a common flaw with in ear headphones, that any contact with the cable produces such a high level of cable chatter (microphonics) as to necessitate sitting completely motionless when wearing them.

The final nail in the coffin came after owning them for about a week, when one the speakers suddenly died.

In the end I spent a lot more for some Bose noise cancelling headphones (Quiet Comfort 15) and the difference is night and day. My advice, either stick with the standard freebie ear buds, or spend a lot more for some quality headphones.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi  Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Hard Skin Remover

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth feet in minutes, 17 April 2014
A review from my wife:
This is a sturdy, well built machine that produces fantastic results. Easy to operate with just a quick turn of a switch to the 'on' position, you can very quickly achieve smooth feet. It's such a relief to no longer have to put time aside at the weekend to soak your feet and get the pumice out to scrub away the hard skin. This machine does all the tedious work for you in about two minutes and this is quick enough to become part of a daily routine to have continual smooth feet! Moreover, it puts on quite a show of a smoky mist as it scrubs your feet which is quite impressive to watch.

I would certainly have no qualms in recommending this.

Russell Hobbs Illumina Jug Blender 20230, 1.5 L, 850 W - Black
Russell Hobbs Illumina Jug Blender 20230, 1.5 L, 850 W - Black
Offered by Electric Mania Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Blender, 20 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a well built, sturdy blender that appears to be durable and long lasting. It has three speeds and a pulse function all colour coded differently. I am not sure what the colours add to the clearly marked out numbers but it certainly stands out and is eye catching. I have used the blender for a variety of chopping and blending purposes including puréeing tomatoes, blending vegetables for soup and crushing ice. The end results were fantastic for all these features although the blades struggled with the weight of more than half a beef tomato initially. Once it and puréed the initial few small pieces, it appeared to have more fluidity and puréed the rest with ease.

The assembly of the blender is quite different to previous blenders I have used. It involves placing the glass jar upside down to assemble the seal, the blade and the base stand. The base stand then forms a good seal on the motor. I have found a few times when taking the base off the motor however that the jar has loosened rather than the entire base. I have managed to correct this quickly but this could easily turn disastrous and lead to spillage and waste! Just something to be aware of...

Overall I think this is a good blender and has produced great results on a variety of foods.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2015 11:37 AM GMT

Braun Silk-épil 7 Skin Spa Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator and Sonic Exfoliation Brush
Offered by MultiElectrons

5.0 out of 5 stars Great device, lasting results, 19 Feb. 2014
A review from my wife:

I have used several models of Braun and other epilators and have to say that this is one of the best. The epilator on its own is near enough pain free on the legs and arms and the smart light is useful to pick out any stray hairs. I assume that the 40 tweezers make the hair pulling quick enough to not hurt and that the massage system also plays a role in pain reduction. Either way it's one of the most pain free epilators I have ever used, and I certainly haven't missed having an ice pack. The results are great too and I can be hair free for up to three weeks.

I was very excited to try epilation in the bath and shower to see how this worked with pain reduction. It certainly reduces the pain, especially with underarm, face and sensitive areas! The only problem is that the wetness makes it harder for the tweezers to grasp the finer hairs. So you could probably get 60% epilation done in the bath or shower but you will certainly need to follow up on the finer hairs once dry. For me, I will continue to use wet epilation for underarm hair removal but will not bother again for body hair.

This product is rechargeable which is extremely handy. It haas lasted four weeks on a single charge after three test epilations of between 10 and 20 minutes. It comes with a range of extra accessories including a shaver head, facial cap and sensitive area cap. The shaver is good and gives an extremely close cut. The accessory that I love most is the new sonic exfoliation brush. I have used this in the shower several times and it has left my skin extremely smooth. It's fantastic and I can see myself using this on a regular basis.

Overall, this is a fantastic product and I would certainly recommend it strongly as one of the best epilators out there. The exfoliating brush adds that extra bit of shine to it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20