Profile for Monica M. Wood > Reviews

Content by Monica M. Wood

Monica M. Wood "mduseja" (Rome, Italy)

A Perfect Pony  PB (I Can Read!/A Horse Named Bob)
A Perfect Pony PB (I Can Read!/A Horse Named Bob)
by Mackall Dandi Daley Wolf Claudia

3.0 out of 5 stars Was not expecting references to God..., 13 Feb. 2012
My daughter is learning to read and since she loves horses I thought this would be a good choice, providing an incentive for her to master the words. I was not prepared for there to be religious references, which I would rather avoid. Since the title certainly doesn't give anything away, just be aware that this is the case. Had I known I would have looked at other horse books as better alternatives for us. For me, the little girl talking to God ruins the story a bit.

Dreams of Joy
Dreams of Joy
by Lisa See

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down!, 4 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Dreams of Joy (Paperback)
I have to admit that I have no special interest in Chinese history or culture, so I chose this book for the story and based purely on recommendations. I love a book that takes the reader up and down emotionally, and this book did so very successfully. The reader cannot help but identify with the characters. Even though I am not always a fan of chapters having different narrators, I found that it works in this story. Now I am ordering the previous book, "Shanghai Girls"!

Bear on a Bike (Bear Board Book)
Bear on a Bike (Bear Board Book)
by Stella Blackstone
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is excellent!, 18 Nov. 2001
I bought the paperback version about 2 years ago and I'm now sending it to nieces and nephews as a gift. It's a short book in which a boy follows the bear on various modes of transportation on small adventures to different places. My sons were 3 and 1 1/2 when I first read it to them and they loved the fanciful rhyming and the simple but colourful illustrations. Both of them quickly memorized most of the book and took turns "reading" it to me and my husband. Little ones will get LOTS of enjoyment out of this book.