Profile for M. P. O'Keefe > Reviews

Content by M. P. O'Keefe

M. P. O'Keefe "MPO" (London, England.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Beasts - The Complete Series [DVD] [1976]
Beasts - The Complete Series [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Pamela Moiseiwitsch

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly disappointing., 20 Aug. 2007
I was expecting a lot more from 'Beasts' after its generally good reviews and cult following but I think a lot of people but must be remembering it from when they were young in the 1970s. Sometimes it's good to leave things to the imagination but personally I feel that far too much is left to the imagination. Unfortunately I think the pay offs at the end of the episode aren't big enough, and the explanations left in the air for the viewer to interpret to an extent. For me this just wasn't enough.

The Relic [DVD] [1997]
The Relic [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Penelope Ann Miller
Offered by moo-V-man MOST NEW ITEMS SEALED & POSTED FROM UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Relic just yet, 20 Aug. 2007
This review is from: The Relic [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
The Relic is quite a good film, part horror, part thriller with quite a few shocks delivered by good actors. The big scenes in the museum are really well shot and the sense of panic in the atmosphere is palpable. It's definately weathered well after ten years and is certainly one to watch with the lights out on a quiet night at home.

Now That's What I Call Music! 47
Now That's What I Call Music! 47
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Weathered well., 20 Aug. 2007
Even after all these years this particular CD has weathered well, with quite a few classic of the millennium year. Of course Now That's What I Call Music is a British institution with even foreign countries producing their own versions but they can be a bit hit and miss. I'd say that Vol. 47 is definately a hit overall.

Mr Jones' Rules for the Modern Man
Mr Jones' Rules for the Modern Man
by Dylan Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Witty and anecdotal., 20 Aug. 2007
This is a very easy to read book, picking various rules out to read by random or just going through all of them in order. The author, even while writing in a self deprecating manner enjoys talking about himself and there are quite a few funny anecdotes and stories. None of the articles on the rules are too long and have some very good advice which is most of the time easy to put into action.

I'd say that this book is a touch too knowing and judgemental at times but when you come across something you don't like or disagree with you just ignore it. You're paying for generally sound advice overall.

Relentless
Relentless
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentlessy entertaining., 18 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
I was surprised to see that this book has had mixed reviews here, as I really enjoyed it. It's a cliche but it really is a page turner and I read it in three days, not remembering the last time I could do so with a novel. I already had a book on the go but my mistake was to read the first chapter to get a taste and from then on I couldn't put it down. It's definately pulp fiction but that doesn't make it any the less entertaining and I will certainly be reading Kernick's other books.

It's probably correct to say that it's not the type of book that you would read more than once but I'd recommend it to others without hesitation.

Light Before Day
Light Before Day
by Christopher Rice

2.0 out of 5 stars Like walking through treacle., 29 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Light Before Day (Paperback)
I eagerly anticapted the release of Christopher Rice's third book as I really enjoyed the first two but this novel was like attempting to walk through treacle. I just couldn't get into it and the fact that I felt that there were really too many characters, none of them really likeable, and the plot got a bit too complicated at times, conspired against me.

Etiquette: Henry's Guide to Modern Manners
Etiquette: Henry's Guide to Modern Manners
by Henry Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read but a few mistakes., 21 Jan. 2007
When I first started reading this book, skimming through various chapters I was pleased by how easy to read it is and the sections aren't that long that you become bored.

Yet when I read more of the book I discovered quite a few obvious mistakes, for example Prince Edward is HRH the Earl of Wessex, not the Duke of Wessex. Stupid mistakes and lazy proofreading like this really put me off paying too much attention to the book and despite it's readability I would recommend one of Debrett's excellent books instead.

Multifarious Poems of Mister Pok
Multifarious Poems of Mister Pok
by Peter O'Keefe

5.0 out of 5 stars Ecletic poems., 29 Sept. 2006
This is a great little book full of mainly quite funny poems, written with great observations of life in Britain, in particularly in Liverpool. There are quite a lot of partly auto biographical poems and I can guarantee it won't fail to put a smile on your face.

Just So Stories (Everyman's Library CHILDREN'S CLASSICS)
Just So Stories (Everyman's Library CHILDREN'S CLASSICS)
by Rudyard Kipling

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful classic., 10 April 2006
The Everyman's Library Children's Classics are a wonderful collection of traditionally bound books with beautiful illustrations. 'Just So Stories' is of course a classic. Definately worth making a set of these books up.

Hi-De-Hi! - Series 3 & 4 [1982] [DVD] [1980]
Hi-De-Hi! - Series 3 & 4 [1982] [DVD] [1980]
Dvd ~ Paul Shane
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Comedy., 10 April 2006
This is a comedy that is actually laugh out loud funny. Inoffensive and lighthearted, it's one of the great comedy sitcoms of all time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8