Profile for BB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Secret Baby Room
The Secret Baby Room

3.0 out of 5 stars A good premise but could have been better., 2 July 2015
I had quite high hopes for this book but in the main the book failed to meet them. The concept is interesting and some of the characters in the book are unique (mainly a neighbour). I found The Secret Baby Room quite hard to get into, I like a book to draw me in quickly and this didn't do that. I felt that it was well written and I did want to know what was happening and whether Claire did see what she thought she saw in the tower block, or whether she was seeing things as many seemed to think, and what that all meant. Although I enjoyed some aspects of this book I think that overall it was disappointing, I can't quite put my finger on why as the story is good and I liked the writing. I think it's just that it failed to draw me in.

I received a copy of The Secret Baby Room from the publishers via Netgalley in return for an honest review

Before It's Too Late
Before It's Too Late

4.0 out of 5 stars A well written enjoyable read., 7 Jun. 2015
I enjoyed reading Before It's Too Late. I liked the main character a lot and although, as most detectives seem to these days, he had a past trauma that was haunting him it didn't feel over used. The story line felt like it was going to be a bit run of the mill at first, but I was wrong, there were twists and turns and I only managed to work one out just before it was revealed. The book is easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable, I enjoyed Isaac's writing style and will definitely be reading more from her. The story gripped me quickly and kept me engaged throughout. I liked how the majority of the book was written from the perspective of the main detective, but there were regular chapters told from the female kidnap victims point of view which helped the reader to keep focused on the heart of the novel. If you enjoy police procedural books then this one is for you.

I received a copy of Before It's Too Late from the publishers via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Purr Therapy: What Timmy & Marina Taught Me about Life, Love and Loss
Purr Therapy: What Timmy & Marina Taught Me about Life, Love and Loss
by Kathy McCoy

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely book that was a joy to read, 31 May 2015
I wasn't expecting much from this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. In fact I was still reading the first chapter when I thought to myself that I was going to like it, and it isn't often that I think that so early on in a book.

The author has a wonderful way with storytelling, her words are easy to read, interesting and heartfelt. Her love of cats is clear, yet not preachy or annoying in any way. McCoy has clearly been lucky in life to have owned (or been owned by?) some wonderful cats with unique characters. The stories about her therapy cats in actual therapy were short and engaging. Clear examples of how having a cat in the room helped the client were used, but also how having the cats helped the author herself within her therapy practice. The book also contained sadness as some of the cats were lost to tragic illnesses early in life, and McCoy includes suggestions and support for people coming to terms with loosing a loved pet.

I'm not really sure who this book is aimed at, and who would enjoy it. I have an interest in therapy and I like animals and I really enjoyed it. I think most people who like cats would enjoy this book, as well as those with an interest in animal therapy. I'll miss reading more about McCoy and her cats.

I was given a copy of Purr Therapy by the publishers through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Evil Games: A gripping, heart-stopping thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book!, 29 May 2015
I really enjoyed Silent Scream by Angela Marsons, and the main character of her books, DI Kim Stone. So I was excited to read this second installment, although slightly concerned that it would be a disappointment after Silent Scream. I needn't have worried.

DI Kim Stone makes a fantastic lead, she's smart and obviously incredibly good at her job, but she's also flawed and really hurting as a person which makes her vulnerable and, I guess more importantly, enjoyable to read about. I love how Angela writes about Kim, she makes Kim feel so real and alive that I'd really like to meet her. Her relationships with her co-workers are a big part of the story, although two have a very small part Kim has an interesting and complex relationship with one other, which I again enjoyed reading.

The main 'baddie' of the book was to me a fascinating character, I cannot recall reading a better example of a sociopath before. Marsons had obviously done her homework and at times wrote it so well that I wondered about the authors own experience with it! Not that I'm suggesting that the author is a sociopath, but I did wonder what goes on in the head of someone who can come up with a character like Alex. Brilliantly written.

There are mentions of child abuse in the book that may be upsetting to some, but it isn't in enough detail to cause real distress.

I am looking forward to reading more about DI Kim Stone in the third installment.

I was given a copy of Evil Games by the publishers on Netgalley in return for an honest review.

The Day Of The Wave: A romance novel based on real-life historical events
The Day Of The Wave: A romance novel based on real-life historical events

4.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive story of love and triumph, 28 May 2015
This book about two people who were caught up in the Tsunami could easily be terrible. It is basically a love story and I think that could come across as insensitive and disrespectful. Thankfully Becky handles the subject brilliantly. The level of her research is obvious throughout the book, at times I wondered whether she'd been there herself, but impressively it all comes from internet research. Obviously I wasn't there so can't be sure that her story telling was accurate, but I would be surprised if it wasn't. I also appreciated how the story of the wave wasn't told in a sensationalist way, it was just part of the story.

At times I felt that the story was a little idyllic (well, other than the terrifying wave bits), and perhaps slightly predictable. But that didn't stop it from being a lovely story, one that made me think about myself and my life, but not in a too deep or heavy way.

The heart of this book is fantastic, I really think that Becky has written an amazing book, telling a story about an event and the huge impact that it had on people in Thailand, and how they tried to rebuild their lives. I will be reading more from Becky Wicks!

I was given a copy of this book through TBC in return for an honest review.

An Impossible Dilemma: A Psychological Thriller Novel
An Impossible Dilemma: A Psychological Thriller Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and easy to read., 19 May 2015
This is an interesting book and totally wasn't at all what I expected when I started to read it. The book started off well and I felt gripped from the start, and at first it all seemed almost predictable, but still enjoyable. But then things took a turn for the unexpected, and the Impossible Dilemma that the title alludes to turned out to be far from what I thought it would be after reading a few chapters.

It is pretty gruesome in parts, but nothing too bad. Although if you're a pig farmer you might want to avoid. Despite the slightly uncomfortable bits I found this book to be really easy to read. I am a slow reader yet read it in a couple of days which is unusual for me. The characters were believable and likable, despite decisions that they made. I think that this book would have wide appeal to many, and I have little doubt that I will be thinking about this book for some time to come. Although at times I thought that it was a little far fetched, I also couldn't be sure that I wouldn't have done the same. I did have to wonder about the authors imagination though!!

All in all a very good, easy read that will give you lots to think about.

I was given this ARC through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Lessons from Ducks
Lessons from Ducks

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Tammy Robinson., 18 May 2015
I really like Tammy Robinson, Charlie and Pearl being my favourite of hers so far. I read a lot of thriller type books so Tammy's books mean a total break from that for something totally different.

I love how Tammy writes, her stories are really quite simple and could be described as 'nice' but that doesn't do them justice. I liked how this book told a story of a character who at times was really quite unlikable, but was so understandable, especially once you learnt her heartbreaking history. As a reader I was rooting for her and hoping that she'd have a happy ending.

The ducks in the story add a quirky element, and help give the story it's heart. I really don't want to give too much away, just read the book, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

I was given a copy of this book by the author through TBC in return for an honest review.

Behind the Counselor's Door: Teenagers' True Confessions, Trials, and Triumphs
Behind the Counselor's Door: Teenagers' True Confessions, Trials, and Triumphs

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read but clearly aimed at the American market., 18 May 2015
This is a useful book but is clearly aimed at the American market and I think would have less impact on readers elsewhere. I'm not a teenager, and the book is clearly aimed at them, but I do have an interest in school counselling.

The book is easy to read and although at times I felt it was a little condescending it is easy to read and I think would appeal to teen readers. The chapters lead you through various topics, aimed at helping the reader deal with any issues that are preventing them from doing well at school and perhaps hindering their journey onto college. The author uses short case studies to make his point, and many are interesting and useful for the teenage reader. As a book it doesn't give insight into the work of a school counsellor and I think that it would be helpful only to teenagers and their parents who live in America.

The book has regular points to ponder which I liked a lot and felt could be used by parents when discussing issues with their teens. However I couldn't help but think that the teenagers who could best use a book like this, those struggling and fighting the system, are probably the least likely to read it.

I received this book from the publishers via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Black Wood
Black Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Black Wood (Kindle Edition)
I rarely give up on a book but after struggling through this because my book club was reading it I decided to do just that. I have so many kindle books that I want to read so I couldn't see the point of forcing myself to read this one which was really not engaging at all. I didn't care what happened to the unlikable characters, and although I kinda wondered what happened in the end I'm sure that I could skip to the last 10% and read it and wouldn't have missed much. I'd suggest giving this a miss, there are so many better books out there.

Premier Housewares Jelly Moulds - Set of 6 - Hot Pink/Lime Green
Premier Housewares Jelly Moulds - Set of 6 - Hot Pink/Lime Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids., 3 May 2015
For the price I think that these are great. My sister has another make and I think they're slightly better in that they seem to release the jelly more cleanly but for kids these are perfect and a lot of fun. Great to stick in the dishwasher after too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20