Profile for BB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Day Of The Wave: A romance novel based on real-life historical events
The Day Of The Wave: A romance novel based on real-life historical events

4.0 out of 5 stars A very impressive story of love and triumph, 28 May 2015
This book about two people who were caught up in the Tsunami could easily be terrible. It is basically a love story and I think that could come across as insensitive and disrespectful. Thankfully Becky handles the subject brilliantly. The level of her research is obvious throughout the book, at times I wondered whether she'd been there herself, but impressively it all comes from internet research. Obviously I wasn't there so can't be sure that her story telling was accurate, but I would be surprised if it wasn't. I also appreciated how the story of the wave wasn't told in a sensationalist way, it was just part of the story.

At times I felt that the story was a little idyllic (well, other than the terrifying wave bits), and perhaps slightly predictable. But that didn't stop it from being a lovely story, one that made me think about myself and my life, but not in a too deep or heavy way.

The heart of this book is fantastic, I really think that Becky has written an amazing book, telling a story about an event and the huge impact that it had on people in Thailand, and how they tried to rebuild their lives. I will be reading more from Becky Wicks!

I was given a copy of this book through TBC in return for an honest review.

An Impossible Dilemma: A Psychological Thriller Novel
An Impossible Dilemma: A Psychological Thriller Novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and easy to read., 19 May 2015
This is an interesting book and totally wasn't at all what I expected when I started to read it. The book started off well and I felt gripped from the start, and at first it all seemed almost predictable, but still enjoyable. But then things took a turn for the unexpected, and the Impossible Dilemma that the title alludes to turned out to be far from what I thought it would be after reading a few chapters.

It is pretty gruesome in parts, but nothing too bad. Although if you're a pig farmer you might want to avoid. Despite the slightly uncomfortable bits I found this book to be really easy to read. I am a slow reader yet read it in a couple of days which is unusual for me. The characters were believable and likable, despite decisions that they made. I think that this book would have wide appeal to many, and I have little doubt that I will be thinking about this book for some time to come. Although at times I thought that it was a little far fetched, I also couldn't be sure that I wouldn't have done the same. I did have to wonder about the authors imagination though!!

All in all a very good, easy read that will give you lots to think about.

I was given this ARC through Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Lessons from Ducks
Lessons from Ducks

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner from Tammy Robinson., 18 May 2015
I really like Tammy Robinson, Charlie and Pearl being my favourite of hers so far. I read a lot of thriller type books so Tammy's books mean a total break from that for something totally different.

I love how Tammy writes, her stories are really quite simple and could be described as 'nice' but that doesn't do them justice. I liked how this book told a story of a character who at times was really quite unlikable, but was so understandable, especially once you learnt her heartbreaking history. As a reader I was rooting for her and hoping that she'd have a happy ending.

The ducks in the story add a quirky element, and help give the story it's heart. I really don't want to give too much away, just read the book, you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

I was given a copy of this book by the author through TBC in return for an honest review.

Behind the Counselor's Door: Teenagers' True Confessions, Trials, and Triumphs
Behind the Counselor's Door: Teenagers' True Confessions, Trials, and Triumphs

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read but clearly aimed at the American market., 18 May 2015
This is a useful book but is clearly aimed at the American market and I think would have less impact on readers elsewhere. I'm not a teenager, and the book is clearly aimed at them, but I do have an interest in school counselling.

The book is easy to read and although at times I felt it was a little condescending it is easy to read and I think would appeal to teen readers. The chapters lead you through various topics, aimed at helping the reader deal with any issues that are preventing them from doing well at school and perhaps hindering their journey onto college. The author uses short case studies to make his point, and many are interesting and useful for the teenage reader. As a book it doesn't give insight into the work of a school counsellor and I think that it would be helpful only to teenagers and their parents who live in America.

The book has regular points to ponder which I liked a lot and felt could be used by parents when discussing issues with their teens. However I couldn't help but think that the teenagers who could best use a book like this, those struggling and fighting the system, are probably the least likely to read it.

I received this book from the publishers via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Black Wood
Black Wood

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!, 3 May 2015
This review is from: Black Wood (Kindle Edition)
I rarely give up on a book but after struggling through this because my book club was reading it I decided to do just that. I have so many kindle books that I want to read so I couldn't see the point of forcing myself to read this one which was really not engaging at all. I didn't care what happened to the unlikable characters, and although I kinda wondered what happened in the end I'm sure that I could skip to the last 10% and read it and wouldn't have missed much. I'd suggest giving this a miss, there are so many better books out there.

Premier Housewares Jelly Moulds - Set of 6 - Hot Pink/Lime Green
Premier Housewares Jelly Moulds - Set of 6 - Hot Pink/Lime Green

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids., 3 May 2015
For the price I think that these are great. My sister has another make and I think they're slightly better in that they seem to release the jelly more cleanly but for kids these are perfect and a lot of fun. Great to stick in the dishwasher after too.

Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid to Fit 5 - 6 Litre Electric Pressure Cookers
Instant Pot Tempered Glass Lid to Fit 5 - 6 Litre Electric Pressure Cookers
Offered by Instant Pot UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great if you use the slow cooker a lot., 3 May 2015
I love my Instant Pot but do use the slower cooker option quite a lot so decided to get this lid as it makes it so much easier to be able to look in and see what's going on, rather than removing the standard lid. I'm very pleased with it and it does make slow cooking easier. Handy to be able to stick it in the dishwasher too.

Nails Inc Spring Summer Collection
Nails Inc Spring Summer Collection

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive and chips easily., 3 May 2015
These were my first Nails Inc nail polishes and due to the price I was expecting a lot!! I was disappointed to find that the polish seemed thin and needed two decent layers but then still chipped quite easily. I have bought much, much cheaper nail polish and that has been a lot thicker and stayed on a lot longer. I won't be buying Nails Inc again, China Glaze is way cheaper and better!

Instant Pot Inner Pot for Smart Electric Pressure Cookers, 6 Litre, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly the same as the pot the Instand Pot comes with., 3 May 2015
If you're buying this then you have an Instant Pot and so already know how the pot works. This is just a spare, exactly the same as the one that the Instand Pot comes with. I just thought that it'd be handy to have a spare. Does mean more to store but worth having one.

Treatments by Philip Kingsley Intensive Treatment Elasticizer Extreme 75ml
Treatments by Philip Kingsley Intensive Treatment Elasticizer Extreme 75ml
Offered by Haircare Clearance

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless, made no difference at all., 3 May 2015
So disappointing. I was given some small trial sachets and they made my hair lovely so I treated myself to a big tube and found that it did nothing for my hair. You wouldn't know I'd used anything. I even tried leaving it on overnight to get a really good treatment but nope, that didn't do anything either. Certainly won't be buying again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20