Profile for Adam Curran > Reviews

Death Magnetic
Death Magnetic
Offered by Media Vortex

4.0 out of 5 stars Metallica are back, with the same old sound!, 26 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Death Magnetic (Audio CD)
It is nice to know that they went back to their roots, and did not continue with the sound they had on 'St.Anger' which was generally a pretty weak offering (trying to do nu-metal?). Doing what they do best, this is probably the best album since the black album. Most of the album is good, although it does lack variety at times.

The songs will remind you of their older stuff (for older fans). The opening track 'That Was Just Your Life' is very similar to 'Battery' in its structure. For people who say there should be a 'Fade to Black II', then look no further than 'The Day That Never Comes'; when I first heard that I thought there are some parallels here. The 'Unforgiven III' is an improvement from the previous one. Personal highlights include 'That Was Just Your Life', 'Cyanide' and 'All Nightmare Long' (this is probably the most different song from Metallica offered on the album).

The recording isn't anything great, but it does not really put me off. It gives it a more raw sound which adds to the albums favour. Overall, its nothing ground breaking; its the same old Metallica we know and love, which makes it a good album for old and new fans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2008 10:39 PM GMT

Watershed (Special Edition)
Watershed (Special Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars The album that truely got me into Opeth, 26 Oct. 2008
A couple of years ago, I purchased the album 'Still Life' as I was curious to see what Opeth were like after hearing positive comments about them. Being a fan of metal and prog rock, I thought there was a good chance I could get into them. However I was not blown away by it, and only really listened to the opening track 'The Moor' which is a great song. I only listened to the album a few times, and thought it was average at best.

After listening to their latest effort, my view of Opeth completely changed! This album really gripped my attention on the first listen, and ended up listening to it regularly, liking it more every time. This album focuses much more on the prog rock element; 'Hessian Peel' is an outstanding piece of prog rock with bluesy elements, which has a sound derived from the 70s. From the opening track you can tell this is going to be something different from Opeth, with its pastoral introduction of "Coil" (even has a female vocalist!). The next two tracks feature their very heavy, death growling vocals, but they also combine interesting experimental prog rock elements, really taking the listener on a ride with plenty of depth for repeated listens.

Personally my favourite song has to be 'Burden'. This song is just beautiful; it was while hearing this for the first time which demonstrated what a talent band Opeth are. Instantly likable, but still gets better with every listen. Its short piano introduction, the slow melodic verses which suddenly abrupt into dramatic harmony, and the awesome instrumental which has elements similar to Deep Purple and Pink Floyd, while still remaining unique.

It was after hearing this album I began to appreciate 'Still Life' and other albums. They are a band that get better with every listen, so if you are into bands such as Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Porcupine Tree or even Radiohead, there are worse things to do than listening to this with an open mind!

A Matter of Life and Death
A Matter of Life and Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave New World, Dance of Death, now this!, 31 Aug. 2006
After first hearing this album, I thought that this album was alright for Maiden, but I was hoping for more. However, after a few more listens, the music really did grow onto me, and it really is one of their finest efforts to date. Dance of Death was a fantastic album, and was better than brave new world, which was also a good album, but AMOLAD is better than both of these records!

Maiden have really focused on the flow of the album this time, and it really shows. The theme remains the same for the album; there are no hits such as rainmaker or wildest dreams (although Different World can be said to be close, as the opener). These Colours and Thousand Suns sound similar to begin with, but they both end up different. The Longest Day takes a while to get into, but it is an awesome track! Out of the shadows, although starts heavy, actually is a very nice ballad from Maiden. The Reincarnation is a top track, possibly one of my favourite on the album, truely maiden in top form! It does get even better! For The Greater Good of God is an epic with a great chorus, truely classic Maiden! I'm sure this will be played live on their tour! Lord of Light also takes a while to get into; on first hearing it, i thought it was mediocre, but it is very progressive, and sort of reminds me of a mix between Lord of the Flies and Futureal (may just be me!), but high quality track! The last track...wow! This track was very good first time round, but gets better with each listen! Must be heard to be believed!

There will be negative reviews for this album, but do not let that put you off buying this album! Does require a bit more effort than most of maidens albums, as its one of the harder ones to get into in my opinion, but AMOLAD really is a fresh offering from maiden. Dance of Death did have some epic moments, but this album takes that further, offering a very good Maiden release, up there with their classics!

Train of Thought
Train of Thought

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard, heavy progressive metal at its best!, 18 July 2005
This review is from: Train of Thought (Audio CD)
There are mixed feelings towards this album; some seem to think its one of dream theaters best efforts, whereas some say its terrible. My view on this album has changed considerably since I first heard it.
The first time I listened to this album as a whole, I wasn't very impressed, thinking it was too heavy for its own good. Compared to the other dream theater albums I have (Images and Words, Awake, Change of Seasons, Octavarium), this one seemed to be the less innovative and creative.
However, the more I listen to this album, the more it seems to grow on me. Although this is the case with other dream theater albums, it is definitly not to the same extent, as there are tracks that do stand out first time of listening to it. It has not been until recently i realised how much I like this album. Heavier compared to most of their work, yet very progressive at the same time! Some amazing guitar, base and drum work shown on this album!
One thing I would suggest is if you don't really know much of Dream Theater's music, this is NOT the place to start. You need to be able to apprichate their other music before you can apprichate this album. I would suggest beginning with Images and Words (still stands as their best album IMO), then Awake, then whichever takes your interest. This was the fourth album I purchased by Dream Theater, and I have only recently apprichated it. No instant hits or stand out tracks, but as a whole this album is really good! It does take a few listens to get into it properly, so patience is needed! Not sure if I would go as far as saying its one of my favourite, as all the dream theater albums are good in their own way, but for hard, heavy progressive metal, nothing compares to this!

Fear Of The Dark
Fear Of The Dark

4.0 out of 5 stars A good change in direction, and critized for it!, 16 May 2004
This review is from: Fear Of The Dark (Audio CD)
Fear of the Dark is generally under-rated, but it does have plenty to offer, even to a non-maiden fan. Perhaps this is the reason why it is critized by maiden fans, it is different from their old stuff (not quite as heavy). Songs such as 'Wasting Love', 'Childhood's End' and 'The Fugitive' show this. Many people critize that their stuff is generally weaker on this, which it is, but they are comparing it to Maiden's earlier work which was amazing; the songs on here are still very good. Plus, there are some absolute classics on here, including 'Afraid to Shoot Strangers', 'Be Quick or Be Dead', and of course 'Fear of the Dark'. The reason I did not give this album 5 stars is because it is a bit weaker than maiden's previous stuff (such as Number of the Beast, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, Powerslave...), and there is a song which i don't like on this album 'The Apparition' (too repetitive).
Overall, a very good album which has plenty to offer, and should be apart of your maiden collection, so buy it! (remember, if it was not for this album, we would not have had the Blaze era, and the return of Bruce for the great albums 'Brave New World' and 'Dance of Death' (which is one of my favourite maiden albums!)