Profile for Sisserou_Parrot > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Among the Ten Thousand Things
Among the Ten Thousand Things
by Julia Pierpont

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Dylan Thomas Prize-worthy, but since 'A Little Life' was Booker shortlisted anything goes at the moment, 19 Mar. 2016
Dull Deb decides to split up with boring Jack, and their non-children have a totally non-reaction to this.

In order to get away with writing a book where not much happens, we must feel some kind of empathy with the characters; be taken on their personal journey. We don’t have to ‘like’ them necessarily, just have them presented in a way that they or their circumstances matter. And this just doesn’t happen here, I found my apathy grating and I was hoping the author would help me out but she didn’t, it just drones on and on, blah blah blah.

This book has a really promising start, there’s a lot of material in the ‘letter’ (frankly, ‘the girl’ was the only one with any personality) and I had high hopes. But from the moment the letter ends, the book falls apart. There is absolutely no depth whatsoever to Deb’s character, ditto Jack and the children. This is not a good thing to have in a tale which is supposed to be about intimate family dynamics and the vulnerability we feel when we lose trust in someone we love. There are so many feelings the author could have explored: the powerlessness and ‘unclean’ feeling we get when we lose trust in someone we love deeply (did Deb ever love Jack? It seems not, so why the high horse?); emotional paralysis; self-loathing; bewilderment; frustration; total confusion; burgeoning hatred for another that we didn’t thing we were capable of harbouring and the unsettling feeling we get from this. None of this happens in this book: nothing happens and no one feels anything. Really, nothing. The kids don’t even panic, lose sleep; they don’t feel anything (and kids do! Their innocent little imaginations go all over the place and their simplicity of thought throw adult nonsense into startk relief; they’re a real reality check. And, yes, even teenagers! Does the author even remember being a teenager? They are sensitive and thoughtful and intelligent – the ones in this book aren’t, they’re awful; Simon is vile.)

There’s a bit of shock-tactic a short way in where we’re given the characters’ ultimate fates; dull Deb meets another man, boring Jack croaks, and the kids grow up in to, I don’t know, adults? Who cares? For this to work as a plot device, the point at which you’re told this must coincide with a point at which the respective fates seem so at odds with the current state of affairs you simply must read on to find out how this is so. This is not the case. I read on because 1. I was hoping something might soon kick in to make this plot-spoiler serve as a real twist (it didn’t) and 2. I had no other better book lined up to go on to.

There are attempts to draw the reader in, ‘What would you have her do?’ Don’t know, don’t care. And what was the point of Gary? Jack’s parents? The twins in Kay’s class? They don’t represent anything, they don’t serve a purpose.

I think the author has promise so she gets 2 stars, but she needs an editor to sit down with her and work out exactly what she wants from the story before she puts finger to keyboard again. Please.

It’s not Dylan Thomas Prize-worthy, but then we’re at a literary stage where ‘A Little Life’ gets shortlisted for a Booker prize, so standards have certainly dropped and anything’s game.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 6 Jan. 2016
Good product - read other reviews for more detail (helped me). My only gripe is that batteries are a devil to get out of the device afterwards.

Oven Mate
Oven Mate
Offered by Certified Insane Clothing Company Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent; wipe off the dirt; no elbow grease., 6 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Oven Mate (Kitchen & Home)
Brush it on, leave it, wipe it off. Absolutely brilliant. I think there must have been at least 5 years' worth of grease on the oven of the house moved into; yuck. Liberally applied this, left it over night, simply wiped it off the next day and it was as good as new; no elbow grease necessary!

Lorus Childrens Time Tutor RG261AX9
Lorus Childrens Time Tutor RG261AX9
Offered by WatchMad

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helps with learning the time, 6 Jan. 2016
This really helps with learning the time. The numbers are clear to see but and so are the increments of 5 minutes but without confusing the learner. It's easy to take on and off, and it's light and comfortable to wear. Ideal for my son's 5th birthday.

Utterly Amazing Human Body
Utterly Amazing Human Body
by Robert Winston

5.0 out of 5 stars Accessible, clear, interesting and fun, 6 Jan. 2016
I bought the Utterly Amazing Science book which went down very well with my six-year old boy and he hasn't tired of it, and this is a great addition. Lots of lift the flap, pull this lever, try this at home... it's a very interactive book which boys, especially, love which, my opinion, is what sets it above other science facts type books. The layout is accessible and it gives lots of information without overloading the page. The language and type are clear. He dips into it and will come and tell me interesting facts he's just found out.

Toys For Play The Big Train Round House with 5-Way Track
Toys For Play The Big Train Round House with 5-Way Track

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 6 Jan. 2016
This has gone down very well wit ha 3-year old train fanatic. He can park all his trains and it works with the Ikea and Brio tracks.

A Little Life
A Little Life
by Hanya Yanagihara

1.0 out of 5 stars An embarrassing and silly book, 18 Nov. 2015
This review is from: A Little Life (Hardcover)
Jodi Picoult and V.C. Andrews weren't Booker shortlist material so I have no idea why this is.

Even Le Carre and Dan Brown with their unnecessary detail and movie–pitch book-cum-script labourings are more sophisticated than this and it really hurts to say that. It drones on and on, and tried my patience so much (and I’ve read The Unconsoled!) that by page 210 I had to call it a day.
A lot of the not-so-good reviews on here say pretty much what I’d like to about the tired stereotypes, clumsy style, ridiculous scene-setting and extraneous detail, so I have little more to add except a word on race: on the one hand, we have the cruel blacker than thou race thing from JB to Malcolm which is, frankly, embarrassing. Vile and clumsy even. But then the writer’s obsessed with no-one knowing Jude’s ethnicity; she doesn’t give him a break over it, is this an American thing or is she being really disingenuous?

She says nothing new in a nothing new way (it’s like an extended Marie Claire article: difficult topic but not too challenging so as to upset fashion-conscious readers or the advertisers), she doesn’t credit the reader with a shred of imagination, the book is devoid of creativity, takes the reader absolutely nowhere with its 1 dimensional characters arguing about big legal cases or important art on the backdrop of rampant paedophilia and rape in a really crass way. She might be trying to highlight some contrast between real suffering and banal normality, but she simply doesn’t pull it off: she just sounds insensitive and ridiculous. I’m not saying that to tackle this topic you always have to dig really deep and wallow in the misery, but you do have to avoid being quite flippant which I feel at times she is; do your research and inject some feeling of reality into it. She’s done neither. Some reviews here call it voyeuristic and that’s spot on. I was uncomfortable reading this but not in a way the writer intends and on that basis what she achieves is actually quite insulting. It’s interesting just how many people have been taken in by this book.

I’m going to move on to one of the other shortlisters, boy I hope they’re better than this. It’s either a bad year or the other nominees wince to have this title next to theirs.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 12, 2016 8:29 PM BST

The Music of Chance
The Music of Chance
by Paul Auster

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, disturbing read, 27 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Music of Chance (Paperback)
Brilliantly written book, it's Auster after all; but probably Auster at his darkest. It makes the New York Trilogy read like Little Red Riding Hood. Only 3 starts because whilst it's a good book, I didn't like it.

Oh, The Places You'll Go!: Yellow Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
Oh, The Places You'll Go!: Yellow Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
by Dr. Seuss

5.0 out of 5 stars An inspirational read - as all children's books should be, 27 Aug. 2015
You'll move mountains!
This book is for all ages. Gave it to my nephew when he went to university. It still leaves an impression each time I read it.

Five Minutes' Peace (Large Family)
Five Minutes' Peace (Large Family)
by Jill Murphy