Profile for The Middle Aged Scrapper > Reviews

Content by The Middle Age...

The Middle Aged Scrapper (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Muscle Foam Roller ✠ Revolutionary Textured Grid Exercises & Massages Muscles - Super High Density EVA Provides Deep Tissue Massage for Back, IT Band, Legs & Arms - Perfect for Pilates, CrossFit, Yoga, Running, Physical Therapy & Myofascial Release
Offered by Epitomie_Fitness

5.0 out of 5 stars Roll away the aches and pains., 7 Nov. 2015
First things first, I'm a 40+ year old weighing in at 100 (and a bit)kg. I've been lifting weights for more than half my life and training in martial arts for nearly as long. Age and injuries have combined and conspired to leave me a bit battered and bruised meaning that effective recovery post training is a big priority.

I first started using foam rollers (along with hockey balls) for self myofascial release after a bout of sciatica about six years ago and have used the method as part of my prehab/rehab ever since. As such I've had a fairly soft roller for use on my IT bands, quads and back which I've augmented with a hockey ball for glutes and 'stubborn'areas that needed a smaller or harder device.

I decided to treat myself to the Epitomie roller as my IT bands, quads and calves in particular really needed a something with a bit more oomph. The roller arrived quickly after ordering (2 days) which is good but Amazon had seriously over packaged it - a box in another box twice the size of the first stuffed with brown paper to stop it sliding about.

I've been using it now for about four weeks and am pleased with the performance. The roller has been a godsend following heavy squat sessions when my quads and IT bands have felt tight and achy. The foam is harder/denser than a number of rollers that I've used, my own and at the gym, and the construction (it is textured foam wrapped around a tough plastic tube) means that even with my 100kg body rolling back and forth on it it doesn't compress/flatten. The texturing does make a difference and really adds to the pressure applied to the muscle.

Along with use on legs and back (along the spinal erectors and the lower traps) the size of the roller makes it possible to use it on less accessible places like the lats, a real bonus.

Today I took part in a grappling tournament and the first thing I did on getting home, after showering, was to break out the roller for an extended session on my legs and back, I know that I'll feel the benefit tomorrow.

Would I buy again? Definitely. Anything that can positively impact my recover and keep me in the gym and on the mat at this sort of price (less than £20) is a no-brainer.

Weird Wild
Weird Wild
by G Clark Hellery

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical little book., 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Weird Wild (Paperback)
Occasionally I'll dip my toe in to the world of short stories, usually via the work of Haruki Murakami, however, of late I've been drawn to stories of an 'Old Magic' bent. This little book contains a lot of magic, both in its stories and its writing.
The tales contained within are linked by a magical place visited by a number of characters for a variety of reasons, leading to somwhat mixed results for them.
This is a smashing little book that's well worth the price and will reward the reader with a glimpse of other, lost worlds.

White Rabbit
White Rabbit

5.0 out of 5 stars Down the rabbit hole...., 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: White Rabbit (Kindle Edition)
Whilst at the inaugural Leicester Comic Con, I was convinced to buy 'White Rabbit' by the book's publisher. Visiting the Fox Spirit stand I got talking with the author as well as the publisher and shared my love of the work of Graham Joyce with them. Both of them knew Mr Joyce and on hearing that I was an evangelical fan of his work recommended this book from the Fox Spirit catalogue. I'm so glad they did.

I won't attempt to précis the plot - it'd be woefully inadequate and there's probably a perfectly good blurb on here somewhere. Suffice it to say that if I was being lazy I'd say that if you're a fan of the work of Ben Aaronovitch, Graham Joyce, Mike Shevdon or Neil Gaiman, or if your taste runs to the diverse genre that is often labelled 'Urban Fantasy', you'll like this.

A retired detective with a dodgy past and an undesired ability to communicate with the dead, a caustic, amoral media baron (who could that possibly be?), an ambitious journo, and a host of spirits combine with that redoubtable old character that is London to give the reader a vivid ride in to a world that could conceivably be glimpsed from the corner of your eye..... if you keep an open mind. Can the motley cast of unlikely heroes combine to solve the mystery of the White Rabbit and save the hapless citizens of London from......... well, that'd be telling.

Every so often it's worth taking a chance on a new author based on the recommendation of people in the know (even if they do have a vested interest!) and for me this was one of those occasions. On finishing I was left wanting more, to follow the characters for a bit longer, to see what happened to them next. Always a good sign - for reader and author.

The Cauliflower Chronicles: A Grappler's Tale of Self-Discovery and Island Living
by Marshal D. Carper

5.0 out of 5 stars Grappling with life...., 18 Sept. 2012
I've been wanting to write a review of Marshall D Carper's book 'The Cauliflower Chronicles' since finishing it earlier this year, following a recent re-reading I'm finally getting round to it.

I've heard it said before that what makes a good travelogue is that the author puts as much of themselves in to it as they do the place that they're writing about. Norman Mailer wrote that a good memoir allows the reader to put themselves in the shoes of the writer even though they may never have been in similar circumstances. With 'The Cauliflower Chronicles' Carper does both these things and more.

The book begins with Carper having broken up with a serious girlfriend and moving to Hawaii to study, heal his heartbreak and most importantly, for the book and for me, to train with Jiu Jitsu/MMA legend BJ Penn and earn his Blue Belt from the man himself.

Joined by a colourful cast of supporting characters - fellow students, grapplers, locals and others - Carper falls in love with the island rather than a girl and by the end of the book it's difficult to imagine a Hawaii that's anything other than the one he describes. Visiting some of the most notable spots on The Big Island, lava flows, waterfalls, cliffs, beaches Carper takes us to the idyllic side of Hawaii. In the background, however, Carper is always cognisant of the tension that exists, with good reason, between indigenous Hawaiians and 'Haoles' or White people, giving the reader a useful potted history of Hawaii and it's exploitation/colonisation/oppression by the USA that nicely contextualises some of the sentiments that he encounters.

It's Carper's personal journey that makes this book though - his quest for the Blue Belt, falling in love with the Big Island and it's people, struggling (with himself as much as with others) for acceptance at BJ's gym and trying to get to roll with the man himself. All told with good pace and in self deprecating entertaining language that stops the right side of maudlin and betrays the insight that the author has in to himself and his own life.

For the Jits player or MMA fighter there's plenty of training insights. Particularly nice are the descriptions and appreciations of how the others in the gym fight, their style, strengths or how they teach. This is especially interesting when Carper talks about rolling with Charuto or Gunnar Nelson or any of the Penn brothers (this makes a particularly intriguing comparison).

Best of all for me it gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get back on to the mat after an absence of over two years. Did it re-ignite my love of grappling? Let's just say that the first session in nearly three years back at the gym was a submission grappling class.......

Empire
Empire

3.0 out of 5 stars Not their best......a 'grower' maybe., 2 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Empire (Audio CD)
As with previous Madball releases I was very much looking forward to Empire buying it the week of release. Perhaps it's the esteem in which I hold their work & integrity, coupled with the anticipation of a new release, but I found this and 'Infiltrate..' a little disappointing.

I spend a minimum of 2 hours a day driving so look forward to new music to wile away the hours and this is where I've mostly listened to Empire.

It's not an immediate album in the way that Legacy or Hold it Down are, and the songs aren't dynamic like the songs on those two albums or Set It Off. The riffs are not as catchy nor the lyrics as personal yet universal, something I've often admired about Freddie's work. There are some glimpses of classic Madball on here - Shatterproof which features Roger Miret(Agnostic Front, Freddie's brother) on additional vocals is strong as is R.A.H.C. There's also a touching tribute to Hoya's deceased wife. On the up side, the production on the album is excellent, although perhaps the 'tightness' has replaced some of the dynamism of previous albums.

To sum up: On first listen I could see this sitting on a shelf for most of it's life, however, on repeated listening it has grown on me. It'll never replace Hold It Down or Legacy as my favourite Madball album but it's a welcome addition all the same & I'll be looking forward to the next one all the same..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2011 3:13 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps me, give it a go!, 29 Nov. 2010
I bought one of these at the suggestion of my wife to help with dips in mood throughout the year but especially in the winter - I have particular difficulty 'getting going' when it's dark for much of the time. One of her colleagues at work used one of these and even took it on holiday when ever she went away.

My initial scepticism didn't last very long on using the Lumie. I found that the 'dawn' setting really helps me to wake gently without the shock of a piercing alarm, some days I've even woken up smiling!

The Lumie is easy to use - setting the alarm, switching the sound on/off - and, unlike the newer models reviewed here, I haven't had any problems with build quality and I've been using mine for about three years.

It hasn't 'solved' my mood problems but it has helped. I like to think that it's part of a whole bunch of things that help, maybe it'd also help you?

SingStar ABBA (PS2)
SingStar ABBA (PS2)
Offered by A2Z Entertains

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun...even for grumpy adults!, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: SingStar ABBA (PS2) (Video Game)
How can you not love the music of ABBA? Couple it with the fun of karaoke & the simplicity of Singstar & you've got a winning combination. A great addition to the Singstar range.

Good-bye
Good-bye
by Yoshihiro Tatsumi

4.0 out of 5 stars The extraordinary world of the ordinary, 28 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Good-bye (Hardcover)
I'm a newcomer to Japanese 'comics' & graphic novels, initially drawn to them as a result of my fascination with ancient & modern Japanese culture.

I picked this book up whilst browsing in a local store, initially attracted & intrigued by the exquisite binding(!). I read some of the first story 'Hell' whilst my children looked for books & felt that I needed to own that story & probably the whole book. It really is that powerful.

The short stories contained within reflect post-war Japan & the lives of ordinary people in a confused society, people struggling to find an identity - not as a Nation, but as individuals. Dysfunction is rife within these pages, but probably no more so than if we were able to peel away the layers of all of our lives & whitness each others' secrets.

This is powerful, ordinary stuff - a lot like Haruki Murakami. Highly recommended.

Miles: The Autobiography (Picador Books)
Miles: The Autobiography (Picador Books)
by Miles Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the easiest book....not the easiest man., 19 Sept. 2008
I had a great deal of trouble starting this book, the colloquial tone didn't chime well for me (a personal thing, I know), and, as other reviewers have noted Miles Davis was not a nice chap. Despite his background - more privileged than most Black people at the time, something that he references quite a lot during the book - Miles comes across as an aggressive misogynist, who when rescued from addiction by his Father goes back to drugs pretty quickly. Is he racist? Maybe, but given the context of the time in American history that he writes about is his attitude to White people surprising? In all this, it's the misogyny I struggle with & was hoping all the way through for a bit of insight & regret in his reflection of his relationships with women. If it's there it's fleeting. The language is also a bit `choice' at times, especially his use of the MF word. I'm no prude but it takes a bit of getting used to & I'm not sure I'd lend the book to my Dad!

So why bother with this book? You don't need to be a jazz aficionado to enjoy this no-holds-barred trawl through the Birth of The Cool with legends like Coltrane, Rollins, Mingus, Monk et al. Sure, some of the lists of dates/gigs/line-ups/recordings may be for the nerds (Guilty!) but there's some great stories & anecdotes along the way and, whether you like him or not isn't really the point. He was a fascinating character, a product of his time who produced some amazing music, which becomes even more amazing when you learn how young he was & that he sometimes made five recordings a year, most of which would now be considered classics.

To paraphrase, love the music, hate the musician
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2011 4:16 PM GMT

Kelso's Shrug Book
Kelso's Shrug Book
by Paul Kelso

4.0 out of 5 stars So much more than shrugs, 5 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Kelso's Shrug Book (Paperback)
The title of this book under-sells it, it contains FAR more information than just that on shrugs.

The shrug section is very comprehensive - if you think (as I did) that shrugs are done standing, up & down, with a dumbell in each hand you're in for a shock.

I bought this for the specific trap bar training info & it's worth the price for this alone. The trap bar is woefully underused & this book gives you a number of ways to incorporate it in a programme. I train it for strength in order to be a better athelete (combat sports) & this book has definitely helped in that sense.

Well written but perhaps could use some more illustrations, if you can get it for a reasonable price I would recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3