Profile for Mr. J. H. Wheeler > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. H. Wheeler

Mr. J. H. Wheeler "Easy Street" (Cheshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium series Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, and a great-ish movie!, 27 Mar. 2015
I rarely read novels, but this is an exception....also simultaneously watching the film and comparing...even dialogue is remarkably close so far...overall, great entertainment both ways, and the bonus was, I'd never had gotten this in the first place if it hadn't been a freebie for previous purchases...worth whatever you pay!

The Works of Rene Descartes
The Works of Rene Descartes

5.0 out of 5 stars A tardis or just an amazing mind?, 8 Mar. 2015
Good Ol' Rene definitely had his own time machine...his thoughts are as contemporary as this morning's news...brilliant.

The Complete Works of Plato
The Complete Works of Plato

4.0 out of 5 stars Written yesterday?, 8 Mar. 2015
Wait! Criticize Plato?? You're kidding, or arrogant beyond belief! If you've wondered why his name is still around after he's been dust for centuries, then you read this---you'll understand what wisdom is.

B. B. King Live In Cook County Jail
B. B. King Live In Cook County Jail
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars BB at his best...recorded in the 70's and brilliant yet again...., 8 Mar. 2015
Love B.B.? Then you need this album...somehow the Chicago prison and its inhabitants add to the 'blue' part of the blues, and even though B does virtually all his famed numbers, there is a certain bittersweet nature to them, which is all part of the venue....I rarely buy 'live' recordings, but from an audio standpoint, this one is worth it....

Three Classic Albums Plus (Stan Getz & The Oscar Peterson Trio / Hamp & Getz / Jazz Giants)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good jazz and varied on all three albums...good value!, 11 Jan. 2015
Getz was ultimately a strange guy, but his music is wonderful, and this collection is a good cross-section for any jazz fan...I play it a lot, and have entered several tracks of it on my jazz show.

THINGS I AM ASHAMED OF: A Memoir (Kindle Single)
THINGS I AM ASHAMED OF: A Memoir (Kindle Single)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ho-hum, really., 11 Jan. 2015
The point of this is lost on me, frankly. It doesn't seem there is anything worthy of note, record, or shame in this...kind of ordinary, really, and had a lot of typos which annoy me as well. Sorry, but that's it. I quit about half-way through--nothing holding my interest to keep me.

Spitfire Girl: My Life in the Sky
Spitfire Girl: My Life in the Sky

5.0 out of 5 stars What an almost unbelievable woman! Read this if you doubt that!, 11 Jan. 2015
Brave, clever, doggedly determined, expert and truly dedicated to her part of the war effort and beyond, this lady is absolutely baffling in how she mastered being such an expert pilot, remarkable woman, and downright mystifying in her command of English. Wow, what a woman! I admit I almost never read books written by women, though I know that is sort of sexist to say. Any hairy-chested man would admire this lady, let alone the women whose admiration would be unbounded. Drama, aircraft, relationships...it's all there in this great page-turner!

The Girl In The Other Room
The Girl In The Other Room
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars If Elvis Costello hadn't found her first, well.....I'd be a stalker!, 11 Jan. 2015
Krall is just wonderful, and as a testimony, this is the fifth album of hers that I've purchased. Sweet, melodic, gently played and beautifully arranged, this gift from Canada is much appreciated in this house....

3in1 Aluminium Apple Peeler Corer Slicer Cutter Machine
3in1 Aluminium Apple Peeler Corer Slicer Cutter Machine
Offered by CN tip-top

5.0 out of 5 stars To eat, to prepare pies, prep tarts, you name it! A really fun kitchen appliance!, 11 Jan. 2015
This thing is cool. I like apples, but don't like the skin, so this device was made for me! Cores, peels, and segments all in one operation. Makes eating apples fun!

Cocktail Audio X10 500GB Network CD Recorder & Music Player
Cocktail Audio X10 500GB Network CD Recorder & Music Player
Offered by AV10

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye CD's, hello all my favorite tunes in one neat little box...., 11 Jan. 2015
This was a big investment, but I am delighted with it. I chose this as an alternative to a Brennan, both for its inherent capabilities and of course, the concept of reducing the storage space required for hundreds of CD's I have. I takes an average of three or four minutes to input a CD, and then it sorts them out all sorts of ways, too many to mention here, but completely satisfactorily. My only complaint is the operation manual is difficult to understand, uses abbreviations that are undefined, etc. Admittedly, I'm not a techie, but between language and tiny type, the manual is a pain to use. As a result, I know the device can do a lot more and display a lot more than I have been able to arrange, but I still am delighted with it, and perhaps in time I'll figure it out. If only a rep from the seller would show up and sort it, I'd buy them a meal! My compliments also extend to the price (less than a Brennan by a lot) and to the one gent I spoke to when first trying to fire this up...in the middle of Christmas rush, he was helpful and unrushed, and that got me started to use it. Audio quality, played through some old existing speakers I have is outstanding.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20