Profile for Phil On > Reviews

Content by Phil On

Phil On "purpletemple" (Brussels Belgium)

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16
Original Album Series
Original Album Series

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 1/2 really..., 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Original Album Series (Audio CD)
This box set is pretty good, BUT it definitly doesn't contain the best Loudness albums, but rather the best-selling albums and a couple of others released after their peak.
The first three on this set are the european and I guess american period of Loudness, when the original band became really popular and went for a hair metal sound. Don't get me wrong, Thunder in the east, Lightning Strikes and Hurricane Eyes are real good, but they show a more commercial side of Loudness, where their earlier albums (with lyrics in japanese except for the choruses) were much more Van Halen/ Power metal oriented and definitly more interesting in terms of composition. Their absolute best being "Disilusion" (released on Roadrunner at the time just before Thunder in the east) and the double live "Live/Loud/ Alive".
So, if you're looking for classy, high quality hair metal with an oriental twist: you got it there. I believe that the two other albums on this set were sung by an american singer, but I never actually heard them.
If you want something more complex, chose their previous efforts.

Black Country Communion 2
Black Country Communion 2
Offered by MLG Merch

5.0 out of 5 stars What an improvement!, 16 Jun. 2011
Okay, now we're getting there! The first BCC album was good but there was a lot of songs that could have been on a Glenn Hughes solo album and others that were a bit too "jamming" and hurried up.
With BCC 2, we get a BAND ALBUM. Songs that neither belong more exclusevily to Hughes or Bonamassa or Bonham but to A BAND, and where we can certainly hear more of the great Sherinian (he was barely there on the debut album). Although the general feel leans more towards a Zep style (apparently that's what Shirley was aiming for while recording the drums), it also features brilliant Deep Purple touches (The Outsider is Burn's little cousin) and bluesy feelings.
Glenn singing is more in control (he can sometimes overdue on his solo albums), Bonamassa's playing and singing is great (even if he always sounds to me as a bit of a poor man's Hughes-not so much on this album!), Bonham is heavy and but very groovy.
The songs are mostly darker and mid-tempo, the band is tight, the playing precise and intense;
the keyboards solos and arrangements are incredibly tasteful.
This album comfirms to me that the debut BCC was only a blueprint and that the best was yet to come...Well here it is!

Live At Donington 1990
Live At Donington 1990

4.0 out of 5 stars MINDBLOWING, 10 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Live At Donington 1990 (Audio CD)
MINDBLOWING!!!! I've had that concert for years on a boot, but never really played it since the sound wasn't that great and I thought Coverdale wasn't on his best day.
But this remastered/ cleaned up version is amazing! The sound is HUGE. It really feels like you're at Donington, and although Coverdale might not have been in super good shape (hence the 4 stars), he still sings his lungs out...Right to the top!
The setlist is mainly 1987/Slip of the tongue/ Slide it in based, but those were the albums they were promoting at the time and that made them huge in Europe and in the States.
The overall sound is very 90's (what do you expect?), but as I said before it is huge and heavy, the remix/remastering gives the performances a lot of dynamic and edge, and the band is top quality: Vandenberg and Vai on guitars, Aldridge/ Sarzo on rhythm section...It says it all!
If Live...In the heart of the city is WS's live album of the first period, this one is the equivalent for the "hair" period.
I haven't watched the dvd yet, as I'm not a big fan of concerts on the screen, and I'm not in a hurry to see a bunch of hair dudes banging their heads, although I'm pretty sure it has its qualities as well, so this review is based only on the cd's.

Live Love In London
Live Love In London

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 6 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Live Love In London (Audio CD)
What were they thinking when they released that album!?! This performance is just atrocious. Dull, empty, uninspired.
The sound is awful. The drummer can't sing, especially when drumming at the same time, and as a bonus it seems like he's more into his singing then his drumming which completely lacks any groove.
I truely admire King's X, I like every album they released, but this is totally wrong. Wrong because such band shouldn't sound that bad.
I bought the album, ripped it, listen to it and was so dissapointed to that I sold the cd and erased the mp3.
This is the kind of album I want to forget about and keep in mind that King's X is a great band anyway.

Peter Bardens
Peter Bardens

4.0 out of 5 stars Peter Camel's Bardens, 5 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Peter Bardens (Audio CD)
I'm not a big fan of camel, only liking the two first albums, in fact when i bought this album I didn't even realize Peter Bardens was Camel's keyboard player. Anyway, this album is fantastic, a great relaxed prog album.
Great song-writing, lots of phasing. The album is mostly mid-tempos with long solos and steady bass and drums lines, with a hint of T-Rex.
Heavier than Camel, not so complex, more song oriented but somehow tighter.
A real good discovery for me.

The Song Remains Not The Same
The Song Remains Not The Same

3.0 out of 5 stars The formula remains the same, 5 Jun. 2011
Zakk wylde is a great musician, he's proved it many times. But lately his releases have been a bit repetitive. I was hoping to find more variety with this album, but unfortunately, the same syndrome applies here. It's been heard all over before, and comes second to Book of Shadows in terms of intensity.
This doesn't mean at all that this album isn't good, it's just same ol same ol.
Junior's eyes (Black sabbath) or Bridge over Troubled water (Simon & Garfunkel) aren't really uplifted and neither are Zakk's own compositions.
Anyway, it's good to hear a collection of great songs revisited acoustically, but in a way the formula remains the same. Nice to listen in the evening on your porch a (root) beer in your hand.

Out of My Mind / Holy Water
Out of My Mind / Holy Water
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but short, 3 Jun. 2011
Cool single. A couple of nice classic Iommi/ Gillan tracks. Nothing new under the sun, but definitly delivers the good.
Makes me wish they had recorded a few more songs.
Next time give a bit more room to Nicko McBrain, and it'll be perfect.

In The Hot Seat
In The Hot Seat
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

1.0 out of 5 stars In the Hot seat...No thanx!, 3 Jun. 2011
This review is from: In The Hot Seat (Audio CD)
I don't even know how to say how bad this album is, both as an ELP album or as an album on its own! I had bought Black Moon when it came out, and hadn't been terribly impressed, mostly because of the sound(s).
Then a bit later In the Hot Seat came out and I remember hearing it back then, but didn't think much of it.
Forward a decade and a half, I'm a bit more at peace with the mid 90's sounds and productions, so I thought I'd give In The Hot Seat a new chance.
Bought it for a few $ on amazon.
But it ain't worth even a $!
I tried to listen to the whole thing but after a decent opener (Hand of truth), already came what I would probably call the worst song I have ever heard: Daddy. This is such a depressing subject approached with so little class and poorly put in music!
I almost stopped there, but went on to the third song, only to hear some type of pop-ish post classical bullcrap!
I had to stop there.
Next day I gave the rest of the album a spin...How sad. Only the last song of the album showed some type of an improvement (Street war).
And then the album goes on with a new recording of Pictures of an Exhibition...My soul! What a poor version! Lifeless to say the least.
Overall: poor writing, very poor singing, un-inspired playing (and I can understand that you don't wanna play while having hands problems, but then just don't record!), poor production (even when put in perspective).
What a way to end...Seriously Love Beach is a blessing compare to ItHS, ELPowell was great, THREE was a fantastic album (I thought), Black Moon was okay (although not to ELP standards).
This is really too bad, because I always thought ELP were a fantastic band, and if you listen to their earlier work, you will realize it instantly.
This is nowhere near representative of ELP capabilities at pretty much any time in their carreer.

Double Diamond
Double Diamond

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Firebird, 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Double Diamond (Audio CD)
Although Double Diamond doesn't rival the two first Firebird's albums (imho), it still is a good record, defenitly more "hard rock" oriented than bluesy. Billy Steer finally put his voice higher in the mix and Ludwig witt reveals himself as a solid hard rock drummer. Leo Smee(Cathedral) has left the building, but his replacement is just as good.
A very good album that I would honestly rate 3,5 stars but that gets 4 here if only to try convincing more people to get it!

Butterfly Ball
Butterfly Ball

5.0 out of 5 stars Butterfly ball., 2 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Butterfly Ball (Audio CD)
Butterfly Ball is one of the best concept album ever recorded. It features fantastic performances from top singers such as David Coverdale, Glenn Hughes and of course Ronnie james Dio (as Kermit the frog...Or not) on the beautiful Sitting in a dream and the classic hit Love is all plus an incredible cast of musicians.
Of course if you expect any type of hard rock you will be dissapointed. The album is mainly made of feelgood songs, very well crafted and orchestrated with a strong vibe of happiness and gentleness and cohesion.
Other similar concept albums came out around the same time (Wind in the willows, Wizard's convention,...) but none could reach the level of perfection (yes I said it!) of the Butterly Ball.
Although the BB was to be the soundtrack for a cartoon-so potentially for a younger generation, I have had that album since I was 7 years old, and love it more now that I did then. I'd say it works for all ages and since decades.
A classic!