Profile for EChesters > Reviews

EChesters

Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories
Doorbells, Danger, and Dead Batteries: User Research War Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars This book hits home for researchers, 13 Dec. 2016
I purchased this book as a treat, rather than something for reference and it's really refreshing to read something in a conversational tone.

The book doesn't focus on techniques of conducting research, but with each anecdote there is a highlighted section of what was learnt and advice on how each person would go back and redo the section.

As a researcher newbie, each anecdote is making me feel more human and prepared for clients complaining over the slightest thing going wrong. It really hits home that you're working with people, and one shoe will not fit all. You can't plan for everything and people are spontaneous and unpredictable.

The other point so far which has inspired me, is how the book touches on the love that blossoms between researchers and our participants. It's only a small section but it puts a lot of things in perspective and is something that has lead me to plan a post of my own from this.

I haven't finished the book yet, but already it's been an absolute delight to read. The only issue I have with it, is that I can never remember the name of the book. I've called it all sorts of names in all orders.

Targus TSB700EU City Gear Rolling Laptop Computer Backpack Fits, 15-15.6 inch - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bag but not as good as other Targus bags., 13 Jan. 2015
At first look the feel is really nice and professional. It looks sturdy with hard duty studs holding in place the straps. The pull handle is a lot taller than what the picture makes it look. It also comes with a nice laptop cover with handles.

The only downside I have with it is that I used to have the Targus CN600 XL Classic Laptop Computer Backpack and this feels quite small in comparison. This feels a little stingy on the pockets.

I'm going to be using this as a bag for work and travelling, so we'll see how it goes. First impressions are really good though.

The Essence of Human-Computer Interaction (Essence of Computing)
The Essence of Human-Computer Interaction (Essence of Computing)
by Xristine Faulkner

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for newbies on the subject, 15 Jun. 2013
I'm starting out on usability and this book is a great starter. It has a lot of stuff in there, like user capabilities, interface layout and more the development rather than the actual fancy design aspects of interfaces - which is what I wanted.

It covers the fundamentals of what I wanted.

The only fault would be the quite old screens which give it a bit dated feel to it, but it's hard to keep up with the fancy aspect of design.

BenQ GL2460 24 inch LED TN Monitor (1920 x 1080, Thin Bezel, 12M:1, 2 ms GTG, 1000: 1) - Glossy Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, especially for the price, 15 Jun. 2013
I would really recommend this product, especially for students as the price is great. The quality is really good especially for the price. It came with a UK plug and the correct VGA cable for my laptop.

The only thing I would fault is the screen is a bit fuzzy but that's because I'm using VGA.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 8:09 PM GMT

Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Red
Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - Red
Offered by I SEWA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item, 21 Feb. 2012
bought this because it was the cheapest 8gb USB I could find, and I have not been let down. I love the little hole on the end so you can put it on your keys to avoid losing it. It installed instantly on all of the computers I've used it on, and it transfers very quickly on and off the device.

Sony NWZA865B.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - Black
Sony NWZA865B.CEW Series 16GB Walkman - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Replacement for my older sony, 23 Jan. 2012
A bit pricey, but I don't regret buying it to replace my 6 year old Sony.
Pros:
I like the build, although the cases on here don't match the buttons for it. It feels sturdy, and is simple. Transfer is very easy to and from the computer, works with Media Player, just drag and drop although iTunes never seemed to acknowledge it. Battery life seems to get better and better. After the first charge two bars seemed to disappear after half an hour.

Cons:
The volume isn't that loud, and that's with Sennheiser headphones. The earphones it comes with are naff. One seems to fit but the other ear phone keeps falling out. Maybe that's just me.. but it doesn't happen with any others. This was also the first gadget I got with touch facilities and I still hate it. The scrolling is either too fast and if you try to go any slower it just selects the song.

I'd always get a Sony mp3 after the last one lasted for 6 years, being banged into walls, got lost twice and came back to me. But this isn't one of their best in my opinion.

Perixx PERIBOARD-310B
Perixx PERIBOARD-310B

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 8 Jan. 2012
I bought this keyboard on behalf of a friend, but personally I would buy it again. We both loved the stylish "piano finish" and the overall feel of the keyboard. Another feature I like is that the back of the keyboard isn't two little bits of plastic that break off nearly all the time. It's sturdy and great for the price.I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a new keyboard

Faro Headboard in Silver and Black Size: Double
Faro Headboard in Silver and Black Size: Double

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Stylish, 8 Jan. 2012
Arrived before the end due date but it wasn't even dispatched until 2 days before.. this being 11 days after I had ordered it. Despite that the headboard is very nice, it was the right size for a double although we had to make extra holes in my bed because the gaps to attach it were slightly further away from the original holes but it still fit after new holes. It makes the bed look bigger as well as the black poles stick out from the sides which I like. All in all a good product, it seems sturdy too and is a lot cheaper than what I was going to pay for a head board.