Profile for D. Tolmie > Reviews

Content by D. Tolmie

D. Tolmie "Duncan" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Apple iPad Pro Case - ProCase Leather Stand Folio Case Cover for 2017 Apple iPad Pro 12.9 inch and 2015 iPad Pro 12.9", with Multiple Viewing angles, auto Sleep/Wake, Document Card Pocket (Black)
Offered by Tech Vendor Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for everyone, but I love it!, 2 Aug. 2017
I'm delighted with my leather case. It's maybe not modern, lightweight, or streamlined enough for some iPad owners, but I like Its appearance and its heft.
The case fits my iPad Pro (2017 model) well, the leather looks expensive, and I'm sure it will offer great protection. I definitely feel confident that my iPad will come to no harm while in the case.
The screen tilts at four different angles for viewing purposes, and a bonus loop is attached, which stores my Apple Pencil perfectly.
All in all a great value case which I highly recommend.

iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Protector, JETech Premium Tempered Glass Screen Protector Film for Apple iPad Pro 12.9 2015/2017 Model - 0902
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value screen protector, 2 Aug. 2017
I'm delighted with the screen protector. A bonus is that it doesn't show fingerprints and smudges on its surface the way the iPad screen does.

The protector attaches itself effortlessly to the screen through suction... quite remarkable. It took me a couple of goes to get it completely straight (I didn't bother using the guides), but it's easy to lift off and reposition.

Trickiest part for me was removing every speck of dust from the screen before I applied the protector, but a sticky-backed film is provided to help with this.

My wife was so impressed with mine that she bought one for her own iPad.

All in all, good value and effective.

Learn to Paint in Watercolour with 50 Small Paintings: Pick up the skills, put on the paint, hang up your art
by Wil Freeborn

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but with one caveat, 28 Mar. 2017
Having just completed an absolute beginners evening class in watercolour, I quickly realised that I was more interested in a modern, loose approach to watercolour rather than classic landscapes and portraiture. Urban sketching and reportage were the styles of watercolour that most appealed to me.
Being familiar with Wil Freeborn's excellent urban sketching, I was thrilled to discover that he had written a book on watercolour, so I had no hesitation in purchasing it.
As soon as i opened the book, I realised that it was perfect for my needs. Each of the 50 exercises has a contemporary feel... the author's style of painting is loose and vibrant, with no need to "stay within the lines." So, yes, I love the book and have no regrets about purchasing it.
I have, however, one reservation.
Each exercise goes from a blank canvas to a finished painting in just five or six steps. Instruction is given on which equipment and specific paint colours to use, and that is very helpful. Yet, as a complete novice, I felt that some steps were glossed over and would only make sense to someone at a more advanced level than myself.
For example, one exercise has, as step 5, "Now focus on details.You can define areas like the bench, reflections in the windows and the figure walking by." There is no specific instruction on how to achieve this effect so, as a beginner, I felt a little bit lost without guidance on the painting methods and colours used.
Having said that, I still believe that I will learn a lot from the book despite there being a few exercises that I'll be unable to complete satisfactorily.
In a nutshell, anyone who is interested in achieving a contemporary style of watercolour painting should treat themselves to this book... a steal at the price.
And, despite my one reservation, I do believe the book will help me to progress as a watercolourist. Recommended!

MOBIDRI, Dry Anywhere Portable Multi Location Clothes Airer
MOBIDRI, Dry Anywhere Portable Multi Location Clothes Airer
Offered by The Home Laundry Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 21 Aug. 2014
I was also fortunate to have paid only £10.00 for this drier in a recent B&Q clearance sale, but it is definitely worth the £29.99 charged on Amazon. It is very sturdily built, and the wide legs make it extremely stable, even in windy conditions. One word of warning... it is BIG, and unsuitable for smaller rooms indoors. But, all in all, a superb drier and well worth the asking price.

I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars So... what do I read now?, 3 July 2014
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
I Am Pilgrim is intelligent, well-written, and well-researched. I don't exaggerate when I say that it is possibly the best novel I have ever read (and I have read more than a few).
The first chapter begins like a standard thriller, with the discovery of a dead body in a sleazy New York hotel, but don't be fooled. Within a few chapters it becomes a book of epic proportions, and its (accessible) complexity demands much of the reader.
I just finished it this morning, and now I am at a complete loss. I have looked at my stack of next-to-be-read novels, and nothing appeals to me. Nothing even comes close to matching the appeal of I Am Pilgrim. Hopefully, Terry Hayes has another masterpiece up his sleeve. Until then, I'll have to learn to cope with reading sloppy seconds.
If you like your novels simple, then avoid I Am Pilgrim. But if you enjoy a complex, demanding, intelligent thriller with plenty of hooks and twists and turns, buy it now. You won't be disappointed.

VEO iPad Air Case - Full Body Slim-Fit Magnetic Smart Cover for iPad Air (5th Generation), Black
Offered by JAMMYLIZARD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value iPad Air cover, 27 Feb. 2014
I love this cover much more than I expected to, considering its relatively low cost.
Before moving to my present iPad Air, I had an iPad 2. I had an official Apple cover on the iPad 2, so I'm in a good position to compare the two covers.
What I like about the VEO cover is its texture, which is different from the Apple cover, and I actually prefer it to the original.
I'm also pleased that the cover has three folds, and not the two folds that Apple now offers as standard. I believe the three folds aid stability better than the two fold covers.
I noted that a few reviewers were less than pleased with the fit of their VEO cover, but mine fits like a glove. It's very tight and secure.
I chose my cover in black, and it really does look the part... very neat and professional looking.
I've been using the cover for about a month now, and it shows no marks, scuffs, fraying or other signs of wear and tear.
All in all, I'm absolutely delighted with the VEO cover and can highly recommend it.

Standing in Another Man's Grave (A Rebus Novel)
Standing in Another Man's Grave (A Rebus Novel)
by Ian Rankin

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, let down by the ending., 23 Jun. 2013
I really enjoyed reading this book.
It is very well written, had a few welcome twists and turns along the way, and kept my interest all the way through. Well, until the last chapter, that is. I was a wee bit disappointed in the ending which was (for me) too rushed, abrupt, and half-baked.
Despite this, I've awarded five stars because the rest of the book was "unputdownable", and I always looked forward to settling down to read a few chapters.
All in all, a great read, but don't expect a particularly satisfying ending.

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

5.0 out of 5 stars More twists than a Curly Wurly, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
Some books have a twist at the end. Gone Girl twists and turns from page 1, and nothing is ever as it seems. As I read the book, I wasn't sure which of the two main characters deserved my sympathies... the revelations of each new chapter made my allegiance sway from one to the other. It eventually became clear whose side I should be on.
One of the best books I have read for a while, Gone Girl is extremely well-written, and a hook at the end of each chapter makes you want to begin the next one immediately.
My only gripe, and I don't want to give anything away, is that the ending seemed a bit rushed and dissatisfying. So much so, that I kept turning the pages, searching for another chapter that didn't exist. But, having said that, the journey was excellent, even if the final destination (to me) was a wee bit disappointing.
An excellent read, and highly recommended.

The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
The Killing - Series 1 [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-see., 11 Mar. 2013
Brilliant series! One of the best series I have ever watched, and after a while you don't even realise you are reading subtitles. Now I need to buy series 2.

HP 53X High Yield Black Original LaserJet Toner Cartridges (Q7553X)
HP 53X High Yield Black Original LaserJet Toner Cartridges (Q7553X)
Offered by The Jolly Savage Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars I always buy the this high-volume cartridge, 11 Mar. 2013
Through naivety, I was in the habit of buying the cheaper, low-volume version of this cartridge for my printer. With average usage, it lasted hardly any time at all. I discovered the high-volume version back in April, 2011 and purchased it. That cartridge has just run out of toner today, almost two years later, so it has been fantastic value for money.
Even better value, as the price is now £86.00, which is £18.00 cheaper than I paid in April 2011.
So don't waste your money on the low-volume cartridge... buy the high-volume version instead. It may be more of an initial outlay, but you will definitely save money in the long term.
Not all toner cartridge owners may be aware that you can extend the life of your cartridge by an extra few months as follows. Whenever your printer shows signs of running out of toner, remove the cartridge and tap it on a hard surface to dislodge the toner inside. Give the cartridge a couple of shakes to disperse the toner, then place it back in the printer. Do this repeatedly, over the following weeks, as required. My latest cartridge began to run out at Christmas, and I squeezed an extra two months of printing from it using the above method.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3