Profile for T. Schoon > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Ten Millennia [VINYL]
Ten Millennia [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent debut., 26 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Ten Millennia [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I was lucky enough to catch Ten Millennia at Kew The Music in 2016 when they supported The Corrs. It was the beginning of a love affair.
Essentially, that is what Ten Millennia - the band and the album - are all about. A love affair. With 70s and 80s funk/disco/pop. With people and with love. Their music harks back to a gentler time when it was all about the groove.
Bands wax lyrical these days about 'all killer, no filler' and usually it's BS but in Ten Millennia's case it's true. Every track is fantastic.
Their debut is fantastic and has been on regular rotation in my home and on my iPod since it's release.

The vinyl release of this album is excellent too. A lovely rounded sound with good bass, which is essential for this band.

All in all a fantastic release. I couldn't be happier and I look forward to more from Ten Millennia. Catch them live too if you get the chance...

Amazon Music Unlimited
Amazon Music Unlimited

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost the best, 24 Aug. 2017
This review is from: Amazon Music Unlimited
Amazon Music Unlimited is a great compliment to Prime membership, has a great selection and quality is good with hardly any buffering issues.

My only reason for not giving it a full 5 stars is simple but, I feel, vital for Unlimited's survival.

There is no gapless playback. I have no idea why this hasn't been addressed. Apple and Spotify manage it no problem and it is essential for live or classical albums. Amazon need to fix this if they want me to keep paying!

Otherwise it is a great alternative to the other rivals. If gapless playback was sorted I would argue it is the best.

Sony Water Resistant Semi Hard Case for Sony Action Camera
Sony Water Resistant Semi Hard Case for Sony Action Camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case for the Sony Action Cam (I have the ..., 19 Aug. 2017
Excellent case for the Sony Action Cam (I have the FDR-X3000).
There is plenty of space for the camera, waterproof housing, remote control/screen, a section for batteries and cables. There is just about enough space for a small tripod, an HDMI cable and the lens protector. I have even managed to squeeze the finger grip and a small USB battery charger in there. It's a squeeze but possible!

To top it off the case is waterproof and very robust; I wouldn't worry about dropping it.
My only minor complaint is that there is no handle to carry it. There is a small strap but that really is only good to fit a few fingers through. Not ideal for carrying around a city...BUT I carry this around in a satchel anyway, so that is a very minor grumble from me. Otherwise, totally worth the money. and a great way to travel with all of the accessories for these great cameras.

Duracell Replacement Camera Battery for Sony NP-BX1
Duracell Replacement Camera Battery for Sony NP-BX1

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Sony!, 19 Aug. 2017
I bought this as an additional battery for the almighty Sony FDR-X3000 action camera.
Firstly, it fits in the camera fine and lasts a descent amount of time (spent 3 hours on a boat and it went down to about 60%).
Most importantly for me, despite it being slightly lower mAh than the Sony battery, this Duracell holds its charge even when not being used. I have found that the Sony battery does not hold its charge. To test I left the X3000 off with the Duracell battery in for several days having been fully charged. It switched on no problem still with its full charge. The Sony battery did not.
Despite being a third of the cost of the Sony battery this Duracell is now the primary battery for my camera and the Sony is backup. Says it all! Would highly recommend and I am planning on buying another.

Antarctica [Vinyl]
Antarctica [Vinyl]

5.0 out of 5 stars VINYL: Excellent quiet pressing., 24 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Antarctica [Vinyl] (Vinyl)
This album is one of Vangelis' great under-playered masterpieces in my humble opinion.
I was given this new vinyl reissue for my birthday and I love it. It is a quiet pressing and the overall sound is deep and rich. The vinyl itself is heavy and clean.
I've had a hit-and-miss history with MOV but they obviously have taken a lot of care reproducing this. On tracks such as the luscious 'Song of white', which is quiet and ambient, the soundscape is allowed to breathe without any background hiss or crackle. This is a damn fine pressing...that's what I'm trying to say.
The title track sounds amazing and the distance between the bass, mids and treble can be tasted. It sounds far superior to my CD version.

I have no hesitation in giving the album and vinyl five stars. This sort of release is what makes vinyl better than CD.

Roberts Radio Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black
Roberts Radio Sports DAB/FM RDS Personal Digital Radio with Loudspeaker - Black
Offered by Co-op Electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent high quality portable DAB radio, 17 April 2015
I wanted a portable DAB radio for travelling around the country but that also had the option of sounding good when plugged into an Amp or a car. After careful consideration spending a bit more on a high quality Roberts Sports DAB seemed like the logical choice.

I have not been disappointed at all.
I have read a lot of reviews and I wish to address certain issues people have raised clearly here for someone like me who, while perhaps not being an audiophile is certainly after high quality audio from his products. Here we go...

1. Sound Quality and reception:
Top notch. It all depends on the station's transmision quality (a large number transmit in Mono annoyingly) but when you hit BBC 6Music, Classic, XFM you get a stereo 128kbps signal that sounds crisp and punchy even on the cheap headphones that come with the radio. Imagine if they transmitted at 256kbps or higher?!
But YES, the audio coming from the headphone jack is STEREO. It sounds great on a range of headphones and through the 5.1 amp I have.

2. Battery Life:
The main complaint of this radio seems to be the battery life. I charged it for 5 hours straight out of the box (switched off). It then played almost constantly via headphones for 4 days. No problems.
My advice to anyone experiencing short battery life is this: keep running the radio until it literally drops dead. Then charge it over night so it gets at least it's 4 hour charge time and a bit more. The new battery will get used to what it can hold. After three or four charges like this only then can you put it on charge even though it's sitting on 2 bars (for example).

3. The fragile aerial:
It isn't fragile in my opinion. It is very thin and small. This is an expensive piece of kit for people who care about quality. If you're going to throw it around with the aerial extended well then, yes, it will most likely snap! I personally think it is a very neat, compact and powerful little aerial that does a fine job.

4. The loud buzz in the background:
There is a bit of background noise depending on which type of headphones you plug in. By noise I mean the sort you can ONLY hear when there is quiet talking (Radio 4) or silence (you're underground!). Earbuds seem to pick this up more as I can't hear it on my over-ear headphones or when played through my amp.
Should this put you off? Certainly not. Chances are you won't hear it! It's only because I'm one of those annoying audiophile-wannabes that I even picked it up. Once music starts playing you can't hear it so what's the big deal?

This really is a 5 star product and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend (as I already have) or purchase again.

TS
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 20, 2015 2:24 PM BST

Pure Siesta Mi Series 2 Digital Radio Alarm Clock DAB/FM - Black
Pure Siesta Mi Series 2 Digital Radio Alarm Clock DAB/FM - Black
Offered by Hughes Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars It's an Alarm Clock!, 5 Oct. 2014
I've read a few bad reviews of this little DAB Radio alarm clock. In fact, it nearly stopped me from buying it, but after doing quite a bit of research I took the plunge. So, in defense of this product, here are the facts for those interested:

1. This is an alarm clock: That is its primary function; to wake you up. It is not designed to sit next to your Hi-Fi and produce audiophile quality DAB radio. If you want an excellent sounding DAB radio you will need to spend at least £120. This is £30 - £40 so the sound quality is perfectly adequate for the price tag.

2. There are two alarms: This is a great little feature. You can set Alarm 1 to wake you up on 'Weekdays' at '0645' with 'Classic FM' on 'DIGITAL' radio (DAB). Then you could also set Alarm 2 to wake you up at '1030' on 'WEEKENDS' with 'Jazz FM' on 'DIGITAL'.
However, you could also make it FM radio (to pick up other stations) and there are 'DAILY' and 'ONCE' settings for the one-off alarms needed. Extremely useful settings to have.
You can also set what volume you want to set the alarm at which is great if you don't want to wake with a sudden start in mornings like me!

3. The Snooze Function is editable: I read a review where someone said that they found the snooze function annoying. I'm not sure why as it is completely editable. You can program the Snooze duration to anything from 5 to 60mins. The added bonus is that if the radio switches on after you hit the snooze button, it will remain on for 60mins if you don't hit the snooze button again (or switch it off, of course). This is a great function as you can leave the radio playing while you get up and don't have to remember to switch it off!

4. Presets: You can save several radio station presets. This is very easy to do and you can save all of your favourites to make setting an alarm even easier. So, when choosing a station to wake you up you can simply choose a preset which is faster than scrolling through the stations.

5. Text scrolling: Another setting is of how to display the info on the screen. You can have it set to display the time, the radio station or (and this is my favourite) scrollign text of the DAB station. So, if you like to know what track is playing etc this little alarm clock will even do that!

In short, this is a great little alarm clock. It has most features that a high-end DAB radio have but without the bass to lift the sound quality. There are no headphone sockets and no aux inputs. No surprise there really...as it's an alarm clock not a dedicated DAB radio!

I love it and it works brilliantly. My only gripe (and it's a tiny one) is that the aerial is a long wire. I would rather it had been a retractable one. However, it picks up the stations perfectly. It looks and sounds great and most importantly wakes me up when I need to!

Highly recommended if, like me, you have a high quality DAB radio already and are looking for a DAB alarm clock to compliment it.

TS

After The Night Falls/Before The Day Breaks [VINYL]
After The Night Falls/Before The Day Breaks [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful [vinyl review], 8 April 2013
Anyone familiar with the solo/collaborative works of Guthrie and Budd will already know what to expect.

Recorded in 2006 these two albums 'After the night falls', and its companion mirror-opposite album 'Before the day breaks', explore the well-charted depths of the ambient and the melodic. However, this is no ordinary trip. This is a complex project in which themes are approached from two angles. Each angle appears on each album respectively.

What you end up with is hauntingly beautiful ambient moods, slow piano melodies and guitar drones that sound from another world.

Anyway, that is as far as I can go to explain the music for it must be heard and absorbed.

:: about the vinyl

On first hearing snippets of these albums when they came out I simply never got around to buying them either on MP3 or CD. However, I suddenly discovered this limited-to-500 box set. Both albums packaged together on high quality vinyl. I snapped it up immediately and I was not disappointed.

Each album has its own 12" disc. It is heavy duty black vinyl but it is just shy of being the audiophile 180g (but I could be mistaken). There is absolutely no noise, crackles or pops. This is as close to perfect as you'll hear these albums. The tracks sound crystal clear, sharp and deep. A perfect rounded sound for ambient music that you can only get on vinyl.

They come housed in a gatefold sleeve with the artwork for each album printed on front and back with the credits and tracklisting on the inside.

You also get a download code for the 320kbps version of the MP3 to save you having to convert. A nice little bonus.

There are plenty of reviews of these two albums as MP3s and on CD but if you have a turntable and absolutely adore these albums then you won't want to miss out on the vinyl. There's only 500 of them so snap it up if you see it!

Welcome Oblivion [VINYL]
Welcome Oblivion [VINYL]

4.0 out of 5 stars a very welcome oblivion, 19 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Welcome Oblivion [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a review of the Vinyl edition of this release.
I won't review the music because, quite frankly, if you've come this far you want to buy it anyway but are just looking for someone to say 'yeah, it really is great.' Well, it is, so what are you waiting for?!

Firstly, you get two almighty 180g vinyl discs with artwork inserts. Next you have two extra tracks that do not appear on any other formats (dire quality MP3 and CD). Lastly a bonus white-label CD is included in the gatefold package which includes the vinyl track listing of the album.
In my opinion, this is the edition to get of this album. You get the CD for easy digitisation and most importantly you get the vinyl!

Now, quality-wise the album is superb. This is modern vinyl at its finest. Background noise is minimal to un-noticeable. The sound is rich, bass is deep, treble is crisp and rewarding. Currently, this is the record I put on to soak in some tasty vinyl goodness!

Anyway, now to the music itself.
The album is very much a digital affair. It feels to me like the young sibling of Trent/Atticus's soundtrack work. It is still dark and moody, but despite the lyrics, it is a fun and interesting journey through a variety of soundscapes and beats.
Mariqueen gets to show off her a voice a bit more this time around and everyone else gets their moment to shine. However, Trent's guiding hand is never far from earshot and that's not a bad thing.

I saw one silly review stating that Trent had lost his anger and 'Welcome Oblivion' felt like he had submitted reluctantly to a softer sound. I disagree. If anything this album shows what Trent is capable of now that he is content and happily married, able to collaborate and doesn't feel the need to scream all the time.
There is anger in this record but it is a mature, carefully controlled anger. It is the sort of dark, subtle emotion you find in early Gary Numan records and even Peter Gabriel's third and fourth albums. Add a twist of Aphex Twin and you have an idea of the kind of soul you'll encounter on this record. You could even say that it captures the 'eighties way' of producing. Something a lot of kids are trying to do these days and failing miserably.

The album is a real grower and I'm finding myself drawn back to it many times a day. Often I go to listen to one track in particular only to end up listening to the rest of the album. I can't do that to any old album.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense. Stop reading this and make your decision. If you've already decided to buy the album but can't decide whether to spend the extra dosh on the vinyl - you know what you have to do!

Third [VINYL]
Third [VINYL]
Offered by Side Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Portishead's Third on Vinyl, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Third [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is a review of the Limited Edition 2LP Vinyl version.

If you've got this far (reading reviews on Amazon) then you may as well just add it to your basket now. I seriously regret not having heard this album when it was released in 2008. I am, however, pleased to have waited and heard it for the first time in the excellent vinyl edition.

The album is split across 2x 12" running at 45rpm.
The quality of the gatefold package and audio is top-notch. I must admit to getting a thrill seeing the Portishead 'P' logo spinning round the turntable too!

Musically the album is excellent and a return to form, in my humble opinion. Portishead's self-titled second album had some great tracks on it but wasn't quite as earth-trembling as 'Dummy' for me. 'Third' is fresh, smooth, harsh, brave and stunning. From the opener on side A to the closing drones on side D it's an album you can sit and digest or have on for a bit of a down-tempo boogie. Whatever your surroundings, it is an album to be heard and demands attention.
The production is the best out of all three albums, in my opinion. Portishead have worked together and apart and now are in such a groove with themselves that back together again they sound tighter than ever.

If you've never heard it but are looking for something new and enjoy Portishead's 90s efforts along with those of Massive Attack and Tricky (to use but two examples) then listen to it on vinyl first, you won't regret it. If you've got the CD rattling around and have a turntable, convert the CD into a coaster and get this on vinyl, you really won't regret it!

Rock on!