Profile for W MCCANN > Reviews

Content by W MCCANN

W MCCANN "joydebs" (Belfast,N.Ireland,Uk)

Nights of Passed Over
Nights of Passed Over
by MARK KOZELEK

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the Money, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Nights of Passed Over (Hardcover)
I've come to love the poetry through his latest album with Jimmy Lavalle " Perils from the sea" Everyone should hear this album.However back to the book. This is a lovely book -full of autobiographel stories.Mark seems to be an honest guy who has had his knocks in life and expresses them well in prose. It was a bit expensive but is a real gem. If you are a fan - go for it.

A Vision for the Aging Church
A Vision for the Aging Church
by Michael Parker James M. Houston

5.0 out of 5 stars Filling a gap admirably, 30 May 2013
I have 2 inlaws who are both in their late 80s and are both keen Christians. Also in the Church I attend there are at least a handful of folks in their 70s and 80s. I normally wouldn't think about having a vision for ministering to this age group but my circumstances have made me sit up and notice. This book is a Godsend and I believe it should be read by anyone with a concern for the Church as a whole. After al none of us is getting any younger and there is a wealth of wisdom here. Give yourself a jolt out of your comfort zone and open your eyes to to this vision. Paul Belfast

Pocket Dictionary of the Reformed Tradition (The IVP Pocket Reference Series)
Pocket Dictionary of the Reformed Tradition (The IVP Pocket Reference Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good stuff, 30 May 2013
I purchased the Kindle version of this little book which was very reasonably priced.I don't possess a Kindle but I do have a Kindle App.on my ipod. I love this book. The fact that it is a dictionary makes it extremely easy to locate a topic and the definations are solid reliable and set out very clearly.I recommend if you have to travel on public transport as you can "redeem the time" by learning some very helpful themes. Go for it.
Paul Belfast

The Blue Room
The Blue Room

5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody got out of bed on the wrong side, 11 April 2013
This review is from: The Blue Room (Audio CD)
I have to say I totally disagree with the reviewer who only awarded this disc 3 stars. This is stunning,beautiful music.I must have listened to Bird on the Wire almost 20 times in the last 2 days. The subtlety of the tunes, the magic of Maddies voice - the strings, the band. Awesome !!! Larry has done a magnificent production. Magic. Don't hesitate to buy - if poss the Delux edition with a lovely personal story of the recording. 5 stars

Preaching and Preachers
Preaching and Preachers
by D Martyn Lloyd-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Should you tamper with a classic? Yes.In this case.Yes !!!, 26 Jun. 2012
To some tampering with LLoyd Jones's masterpiece is almost unthinkable but I for one think that the new format is an improved format for the 21st century. The text has been provided with suitable headings and "side bar" quotes from the text emphesising the main points. For me this is a great advantage to an audience new to LLoyd Jones.The size of the book also makes it appear more accessable to a younger readership. The chapters from admirers of the book while slightly out of place do actually add rather than detract. All in all I think this should prove a real help to a new,younger generation - I certainly hope so. It is truely edifying. Paul Belfast

How To Become Clairvoyant
How To Become Clairvoyant

4.0 out of 5 stars Great to have Robbie Back, 9 May 2011
This is an album well worth having. Some of the tracks are weaker than others but the good ones make it worthy of a place in any collection. Tracks like "Fear of falling" show the great quality of the fusion between Winwood,Clapton and Robbie. The drummer is to be congratulated for keeping things tight and not over indulging." When the night was young " nostalgically captures the nieve optimism of thr late sixties.The title track is a bit eerie but you get an idea of where R R is coming from.High quality musicinship throughout.Another suvivour along with B.W.

Images of Metheny
Images of Metheny
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless -Exactly what I was looking for without knowing it., 16 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Images of Metheny (Audio CD)
I have to endorse the previous 2 reviews.This is truely beautiful music.Take time to read the first review.It can only give you a flavour of the actual experience.
I had been looking for some creative instrumental music which was captivating without having associations with drug induced creativity.
I found this - clean,pure charming,sensitive,elaborate yet simple - simply lovely.

You can't go wrong, I wish there was a volume 2.

Paul McCann
Belfast

Little Miss Sunshine
Little Miss Sunshine
Offered by usnap

5.0 out of 5 stars A league of its' own, 25 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Little Miss Sunshine (Audio CD)
I wasn't able to pick this disc up here in U.K.stores so I stuck out my neck and ordered it from the States.
I had been impressed by the selection of music when we watched the movie. It was worth the risk. The music is beautiful,and quite moving. Sufjans' song blend really well with the original score and suprisingly there is a uniqueness to each track making them all memorable. Worth every penny ( or cent ).
PMcC

Rambling Boy
Rambling Boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and truely moving, 11 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Rambling Boy (Audio CD)
In all honesty these have to be some of the most moving pieces I have ever listened to.As described in the title Charlie is among family and friends and the entire album resonates with that atmosphere.You can easily tell that everyone feels very much "at home" and there is an obvious lack of competing for first place. Bruce Hornsby on piano and Pat Metheny's measured acoustic guitar playing are absorbing. The Sally Gardens track almost reduced me to tears.Simply beautiful. I'm still recovering. Thanks Charlie.