Profile for Anonyfinn > Reviews

Neptune Mask and Sahara Total Dry Snorkel - Yellow
Neptune Mask and Sahara Total Dry Snorkel - Yellow
Offered by 4th Element Diving Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars A good dry set, and good quality with it, 28 May 2013
I was looking here to buy more equipment for a growing family and noticed this one is still up for grabs, which I've had quite a while. I'd say it's impossible to get a lung full of water with this dry-top snorkel, as the hinged float inside closes as soon as a wave goes over it -- you know because just as you are breathing in, your air is shut off near-instantly. I got a very good seal off the mask; experience tells how to 'feel it on' for a good fit. Only rarely did I get water ingress. My nose is far from small, and it did fit, though almost in contact with the mask; again pretty normal. Optical quality seemed good and didn't distort as badly as some others. The quick release catch between snorkel and mask is pretty handy. So, the set works really well, and I can't think of a reason not to buy. In fact, I recently spent some days trying out another more expensive mask and snorkel making all kinds of claims (Cressi Big Eyes set), and neither mask nor snorkel were as dry as this set. It seems to me that the Neptune and Sahara combo gives robust performance at a reasonable price, and it's something you can depend on. I regard this set as a really solid choice.

Neo-G VCS ® Adjusta Custom Fit Hinged Knee Brace, fully adjustable for comfort and fit, with flexion hinge system
Offered by Mobility Choices

4.0 out of 5 stars Custom fit and robust, 26 April 2013
One thing I can explain here which isn't quite clear in the description, is why 'one size fits all'. Under the four straps are the two hinged metal bars, which have velcro pockets slipped over them either end. This means that no matter what the circumference of your leg, you can fit the bars onto the main part of the material exactly where you want them either side of your knee, not too far forward or back. You only have to do it once, it will be a custom fit, and the attachment is very strong. Then the four main straps wrap around over the top of the fitted bars each time you put it on. There's a couple of squiggly lines of the kind of silicone used for women's hold-ups along the length of the material to help stop it sliding on your leg. A certain amount of tightness is needed to keep the brace as a whole in place, of course. Adjusting how far the brace allows the leg to swing back or forward is very easy, simply by locating pins in holes -- as pictured, the plastic cover on the case is open to reveal the mechanism inside. The covers on the mechanism look a little flimsy, but the unit seems rather robust even if just a tad unrefined in the level of finish. Overall, however, the build quality of this brace seems very good, and it certainly fulfils its function.

Andrew James Double Belgian Waffle Maker In Stunning Red, 700 Watts
Andrew James Double Belgian Waffle Maker In Stunning Red, 700 Watts
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Waffling on quite well..., 18 Jan. 2013
My family has test driven this one extensively. The non-stick coating seems very good, and the plates are solid cast and the hinges an integral part of them, so I don't anticipate mechanical problems from this pretty solid product. The results have been good with a variety of mix types, about 5-6 minutes per two waffles, and depending on the mix you make, light and crispy waffles are very possible (e.g. the kind of mix with cream, sugar and fizzy water). You'll soon learn not to overfill it, but if you do, clean-up isn't a total disaster, just a bit fiddly round the back -- remember, better under than over filled. General ease and good results, plus of course my daughter's insistence, have meant that this unit hasn't been gathering dust. Reasonable price-quality ratio which seems to be par for the course for this brand. Match it up with the Andrew James ice cream maker, and perhaps on a weekend you could enjoy a joint family exercise while indulging in homemade waffles and ice cream with a coffee (let the kids have theirs first, so you can enjoy your own afterwards in peace!). Cheap, no artificials and delicious in that satisfyingly wholesome unprocessed sort of way -- I'm not a tree hugger, that's my experience of food, and I think you can easily create genuine down-to-earth treats with this. So, basic but solid, does what it claims and not at an extortionate price; who could take stars away for that?

Andrew James Ice Cream Maker - Voted "Best Buy" By Which? Magazine. 1.5 Litre - White
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Piece of cake... I mean ice cream, 18 Jan. 2013
Easy to use and dissemble and wash. Good results from the very first try. The freezer bowl seems good quality and robust, and more to the point it has a pretty thick base and sides full of the 'freezer block' type fluid, and so easily stays cold enough for as long as you need it to be -- getting your ice cream to freeze isn't at all a matter for concern. I saw a Philips model in the shops and noticed only the base seemed to provide the chill, which wouldn't be anywhere near as effective. I also bought the spare bowl, just in case, and postage was combined. Very satisfied, as this seems to be a fit for purpose product -- also my experience with the robust Andrew James waffle maker. Could it be that there's a brand that knocks out no-frills, just the job products which fulfil their promises? Probably just a dream, but right now I'm living it!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Full points for convenience, easy to use, looks ok too, 25 Dec. 2012
This is basically the standard Nokia wireless charger stuffed in a pillow. Wireless charging does work with a silicone case on my Lumia 920 -- I was concerned that it wouldn't as Nokia's manual advised that stickers on the back of the phone could interfere with charging functionality. I feel this package has the advantage over the standard charger in looks, and because it is bigger than the phone (unlike the standard charger) placement is easy because you can see the phone in relation to what you are placing it on. I also like the fact that the sides on the pillow are very slightly raised, which gives a feeling of security that the phone won't slide off. In theory, while the phone is less likely to slide off the Fatboy than the standard charger, the standard charger has very slightly better traction on your desk, just to balance the argument and not write off the standard charger entirely (let's be honest, the phone is unlikely to slide off either charger, nor the charger off your table). Furthermore, the charge indicator light on the Nokia charge pad doesn't show through the pillow unless it's dark, but I don't miss it as it's hard to place the phone wrongly and my Lumia 920 makes a noise when charging starts and stops. So, I like the Fatboy for easy placement and improved looks compared to the standard charger, but lose the indicator light. And of course, more generally, this package has the convenience of wireless charging; pop you phone on the pillow and it charges. Rather handy given the frequency of charging for smartphones these days -- I really am glad not to be plugging and unplugging all the time. The Fatboy will probably come down in price in time, so I won't knock a star off for that, but if I did, that would be the reason.

Nokia Lumia 920 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 920 Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally stable and now with FM radio!, 4 Dec. 2012
It's difficult to review a product like this when the geek tech-specs and capabilities are all discussed online, from stress tests to performance. We all know about the polycarbonate body and highly resistant screen, and might have heard about the twin core 1.5 ghz processor, and the Windows 8 tiles on the start page. So I'll stick with how it works in the hand in my own experience. It's a nice shape, not especially light even for its size, but I prefer ruggedness to shaving off a few grams. Quality stuff. It starts quite quickly, does perform quickly (no delay, very smooth, scrolling in and between aps and screens), and once you get the hang of it the functions are very easy to use and the settings easy to find and adjust, with the OS offering the odd bit of help and advice. It is a bit Windows-like (certainly if you have Windows 8!) in the way that the tiles (resizeable, pinnable and unpinnable and moveable on the start screen) open aps and what you could call windows, because while you can only view one at a time, you can swipe through the ones you have running. For the amount of stuff and options, menu navigation is surprisingly easy, not that I found it all intuitive straight out of the box. In all my openings and closings and stopping half ways, it hasn't got confused or faltered once. Office docs work fine, though some docs with reviewing in (at least I think that was the problem) couldn't be edited -- but you can copy-paste to a new file for this (and comment and highlight yourself). Also, I like having the Skydrive as my default save location -- files (including photos) are never lost and are available/synched to my PC and laptop. Internet Explorer works great. The camera and video are good -- at the time of writing I'm using a beta version of Skype (I thought they'd have finished it by now!), but calls and video calls worked very well. Buying and installing Angry Birds Star Wars also went fine! Car and walking navigation have good maps, accurate positioning, and locate me faster than my TomTom. Use as a WiFi hub is great - use your mobile data connection to supply internet via WiFi to up to 8 devices. Overall, the graphic interface is very smooth, and the screen gives a clean, bright and crisp smooth-scolling image -- quite impressive compared to the best on the market. Size-wise it seems a good compromise between phone and weeny laptop, which is in a way how I see it. And let's face it, we use these phones as much for entertainment as work, and the games and video and news etc. all come out very well, and very easily -- what I'm saying is that I find it user-friendly and pleasing to the eye, and the user experience has to be the most important thing. The screen is extremely sensitive to touch (adjustable) and can, as a world's first, even work with gloves on. The usual finger-resizing and tilt to rotate display work fine. Faults? Battery life has been commented on as average, and while this phone can go on standby for ages and let you talk 10 hours non-stop, continual flat-out multimedia use might have you down and out in about three hours. The boffins are expecting an update to address this, and there are power saving options to extend battery life in more banal usage. Still, in my subjective view the phone looks good, and all experts will tell you the display is great and the camera unbeatable. It's fast and easy to navigate around. The Office parts are good. I should mention the sound -- rather good, can certainly punch it out and not at all tinny (makes a good little TV). I think I'd say the whole thing is pretty sleek in looks and operation. Certainly it's a very competitive option in it's class, and for all the connectivity and compatibility you'd be a numpty to overlook it in business use, too. This phone is selling out, because it's the phone a lot of people have ben waiting for, it offers some refreshing innovation, and it hasn't disappointed.

UPDATES:
1. If your phone freezes on you and you can't turn off and then on, hold down the on button (side, centre) and the volume button (side, top) at the same time for around 7 seconds (feels more like 10) to reboot.
2. Buying a screen protector is pointless and counter productive, because a) the screen is extremely resistant, and most importantly b) there's a proximity sensor on the screen which tells the phone to blank the screen when held near your ear when making a call, so that you don't accidentally press any functions; with the screen protector on, the proximity sensor is activated, which means the screen goes blank as soon as you hit 'call' etc., so you can't see what's going on, and of course there's no way to end the call with all functions blanked. Made my phone behave weirdly in other ways too. UPDATE: Just got a 'free' screen protector with a gel case, so tried again, placing protector as low as possible, and so far no blanking during calls. However, even though the protector I got is cut deliberately small, the Nokia class curves downward on all edges, so the protector isn't properly attached and invisible at the edges.
3. The wireless charging is really handy since you'll need to charge up frequently. I was concerned that putting a protective silicone case on the phone would interfere with the charging, as Nokia advises not to put stickers on the phone for this reason, but charging works fine with a case on. I bought the Fatboy pillow charger, which is the standard Nokia wireless charger stuffed in a little pillow. I find the Fatboy package better looking than the standard charger, and placing the phone is just a little easier because, unlike the standard charge pad, it's bigger than the phone so you can see the phone in relation to it. What you lose is the charge indicator light, which doesn't show through the pillow unless it's dark; however, the phone makes a noise when charging starts or is interrupted, so not really a problem.
4. It gets better everyday: the live, customizable tiles are great, and the ones you won't ever use of use less frequently are just a swipe away: I have 3 email accounts, Skype and messaging on the front screen, all live, explorer, office, notes (e.g. shopping lists), maps, navigation and 'city lens (check it out) plus news channels on the front screen -- without scrolling, and further down stuff like the torch app. It's not just a gizmo - it's actually all useful and extremely easy to use. Done geocaching too. Well, the only reason to modify my words here would be faults found, so I'm done for now. At the time of writing, the 'A' brand is still outselling all others though in decline, and many 'pro-A' reviews seem to deliberately overlook this phone's capabilities (in my view something's awry here), some of which are down to the fact that it is not an 'A' phone; PC compatibility, Windows OS and the maps and navigation and city lens are enough on their own, without the amazing screen and camera and other hardware attributes and wide-ranging connectivity plus wireless charging, for example, so do give this one a thorough look-over. Nokia want to do well with the Lumia phones, and the price-spec-quality ratio seems to reflect this.

UPDATES STILL!
6. The phone has been freezing at night for a few days. Not handy if you rely on the alarm working. I removed some apps, the most likely culprits being newspaper apps, and no problem since; I think you have to take care that apps are windows 8 and not e.g. 7.8, as they will download and install but may cause problems.
7. With data connection and wifi turned off and everything else I could think of, I have managed to get about 2.5 days of standby with the odd call and text message out of it, without recharging. But as for all smart phones, where these claims they make about hundreds of hours on standby come from, I have yet to find out.
8. I think I prefer the Windows OS to Android, not much in it as they are both good. Perhaps less funky looking and no cute Android motif, but I find Windows cleaner and simpler to use; you can get more tiles on a single start page (less space between them and you can swipe down), most used at the top in plain view and also in extra big size for those I use most like calling -- want to make a call? -- it's that really big button you can't miss. Whole country maps work offline and gps navigation is very straightforward as a whole. While Windows seems very grown up, however, Android manages to come across as more fun, for instance because the icons have their own personalities but so far Windows tiles are rather characterless with their uniform looks (but also less of a visual mess and so easier on the user).

Latest UPDATE!!!!!!! Never a problem in months --- and the latest OS update now has FM radio working!

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX5500 Revolution
Logitech Cordless Desktop MX5500 Revolution

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in professional use, 26 Nov. 2012
My keyboard informs me that I'm well past 2.3 million keystrokes (or have I been a third time round the counter?) so it's about time for a review. Well, longevity seems good for those employed to type heavily. And the keyboard feel is good -- reasonable damping, not too clicky, and it looks like all this wave and and ergo-split stuff (my previous keyboards) has been consigned to history; probably a good thing as it increased keyboard size and I never felt any benefits. Gone also is the soft palm rest, but what we have is a soft touch (not cushioned!) rest, which is hard yet tactile. It's very hard wearing, cleans well and doesn't mark easily -- I have a habit of swinging the arm rests of my office chair over it, and the marks come off with a swipe of my finger. So there's some quality, well-chosen materials here.

The keys don't rattle as there's still no play in them from the verticle, but otherwise the keyboard is no quieter than many other non-budget products. The damping, regarding touch and sound, has long since worn off a little, because lesser used keys are clearly softer. Still, this keyboard is sure to go a long way for less heavy users, and I'm not done with it yet. I'm guessing I'll get 50% longer out of this one than other quality keyboards I may buy; I do bin them long before they are technically broken, because I need good performance regarding noise and, most especially feel, due to my heavy usage and requirements for non-knackered fingers!

I've found the function keys and especially the programmable ones very handy and easy to set up and change. Having a separate calculator in the in-built LCD display has proven handy for invoicing too, no need to fiddle between windows on-screen.

The mouse has proven very responsive, scrolls well, and offers more functionalities than I will ever use. Very ergonomic and easy to use -- though it may be unsuitable for non-adult hands due to its size. Perhaps the most outstanding thing I noticed early on (I now take it for granted) is the fast scrolling -- essentially, rather than wear your finger out rolling and rolling, you can flick the roller into a free-wheel where it keeps going and going until you but the brakes on by replacing your finger. It's extremely fast, very controllable, and I'm sure is much less of a load on your physical well-being.

Somehow, the Bluetooth connection also seems more lively, responsive and reliable than the wireless USBs I've used before. I'm not able to say why, but it's almost as if there's a delay with other systems; the sluggishness isn't down to speed settings.

The batteries on the keyboard last well, but since I have four Duracell AAs in there, it's hardly surprising that I have no memory of when I last changed them. The mouse charges from a cradle, and it's still working fine. You do have to make sure it's placed right, but the charge indicator will tell you when it is; it isn't especially fiddly, but it isn't self-guiding.

Overall, I'm not sure I could have bought a better keyboard and mouse package. But it does come at a price, so it's up to you if your use justifies it.

WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
WD Elements 1TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0/2.0 - Black
Offered by Value_Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, fast, the least possible hassle, 26 Nov. 2012
This does exactly what I require of an external drive that I use for scheduled back-ups, system images and the odd bit of manual file transfer. The two things I really find handy are 1. no external power supply, runs off the USB port, and 2. no on-off button -- it's on whenever your PC is (and off when not). What this means is no extra power leads and sockets taken up, and that I never have to touch it or do anything. I can forget about it, and it's always working in the background as required. The supplied USB 3 cable is very short; doesn't bother me as I leave the drive (drives, I have more than one) on top of the PC tower(s), and that's about as far as it stretches. Despite its small size and looking quite enclosed, the drive never seems to get hot (unlike my heavy metal LaCie!). It's very quiet too. One thing to underline here is that you aren't paying extra for the portable size as far as I can tell, and this drive is also handy, in fact my preference, in non-portable use. It has proven reilable so far (first one over a year old), and although I haven't done a speed test, it's extremely clear that this drive is much much faster than a USB 2.0 drive. Three times faster would be a conservative estimate, five times would be pushing the bounds of reality, and it also depends on your PC.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great functionality and value package, 21 Nov. 2012
I've been using this for some weeks now, cycling and running in all weathers. In short, I love it. I bought it in the first place because of the value it offers as a powerful light at a good price that works both as a head lamp and cycle-mounted lamp. It works well and pretty much doesn't shift away from the position I angle it at when setting off, but at the same time allows adjustment. It is very bright -- if you were to light up the side of a barn 100 metres away, you would be able to recognize a person standing there. The brightness is also good because cars dip their lights as they would for another vehicle, even when still around the corner (I look up when running to give warning, and look back down when they come so as not to dazzle). The beam shape is good, as there's a central spot of brightness but also a very wide, slightly dimmer field that lights up the side of the road/forest as you ago. As with all these devices, while running with the beam originating from my head, I do feel a sort of tunnel vision effect. Both power settings I find very useful, the flasher to my mind is only good as an emergency signal. The charge seems good for a few hours even on full power, and charging is very easy; simply by transferring the battery lead from the lamp to the charger. Excellent value for money with a very good level of functionality. Oh -- also good for doing outdoor work at night as a hands-free torch that points where you want it (i.e. on your head, it's where you're looking); I thought full power would be too much close up, but it's not, and lighting things up almost like daylight proved a great safety feature while chain-sawing some trees (my own!) out in the forest. So, also great with power tools at night -- I'm certainly getting value out of it!

Limar LM777SIL Adult Cycle Helmet, 55-61 cm
Limar LM777SIL Adult Cycle Helmet, 55-61 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Light weight, good fit, 20 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Limar Adult Cycle Helmet (Sports)
The first thing that comes to mind is how light this helmet is -- that's because yesterday, getting all my gear ready to do a cycle between towns with my son (stuff strewn everywhere -- and no, not all of it mine!), I asked him if he had seen my cycle helmet. He said no. So I wasn't amused after looking for it for some minutes to find that I was wearing it. I'm a 58 cm head and manage to get a thin hat under it. It has a bug net. The rear tightening mechanism is large and tactile, though I don't see a use for the quick release button, as it's just as fast to dial. The adjustment is very good and I feel I get a good fit. As for the straps, like other helmets you still have to faff around for a while to get the straps adjusted right, but at least it's generally something you only do once in a major way. To my eyes, it's a good looking piece. I won't comment on the ventilation as that's personal and depends on the season -- plenty of holes, however. It's possible that this helmet sits just a tad higher over the ears than some others. Also, perhaps still normal in this price category, there's no vertical adjustment on the rear fitting, but as stated, I still got a comfortable and snug fit that seems pretty secure. So, light, a good fit, and for this price it should look half-decent, which it does. And as above, sometimes you don't know you're wearing it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10