Profile for Fender32 > Reviews

Content by Fender32

Fender32 (In front of my laptop)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Garmin zumo 390LM 4.3" Motorbike Sat Nav with UK and Full Europe Maps, Free Lifetime Map Updates and Bluetooth
Offered by CoolSound-Superstore

4.0 out of 5 stars A heavy duty version of Garmin's in-car range - excellent performance from the hardware; less so from the software., 22 Jun. 2016
I've been using one of these for over a year now and can't imagine being without it.

On Day One, I went out for a ride to test it and when I stopped at the petrol station, I took it off and put it in my pocket (good habit) as I went inside to pay for the fuel. Once I'd sat it back inside its clamp, I set off down the road again and accelerated up to 60mph (Officer). Sadly, I had neglected to push the body of the sat nav far enough into the cradle/clamp to cause the button to lock it in place (bad habit) and so it duly fell off its mount and bounced off down the road behind me :-( . I watched helplessly from the side of the road as several cars passed over (i.e. astride) it and then went to retrieve the 'parts'.

To my utter joy and amazement, the unit had only a minor case of 'road rash' and still functioned perfectly normally :-) ! Since then, it's taken me (successfully) though five or six different European countries and the battery is still in great shape - accepting a charge easily and lasting for many hours on its own.

The build quality and tactile nature of the physical unit are worthy of five stars in this reviewer's opinion. Weather-proofing is, so far, fantastic and I suspect that this unit will withstand anything that nature can throw it at ... apart from a direct lightning strike!

As for the software and operating system, well .. that more like 3.5 stars (for me). There's a lot that is good about the way this sat nav has been custom-designed to suit the motorcyclist. It works perfectly with a heavily-gloved hand (although not at all well with bare hands - a fingernail is a better interface in that case) and I particularly like the 'Curvy Roads' option in the Navigation Preferences section.

What I am not so keen on is the huge amount of 'back-arrowing' that is required to get out of complicated menus and the lengthy/frustrating process of building a route with the Trip Planner function. It's a great feature to have, but it needs to be made available as an online interface with drag/drop flags to mark out the routes. There is third party software available to do this,but it's often hard to successfully upload onto the Garmin.

All in all though, a terrific tool for the adventurous motorcyclist and one that is only likely to improve with future versions. My tip; wait until this model gets replaced and then buy one when the price gets below £150 :-) .

Givi OBK42B Aluminium-Top-Case Trekker Outback Monokey
Givi OBK42B Aluminium-Top-Case Trekker Outback Monokey

5.0 out of 5 stars So much sturdier and more practical than a round, plastic box - well worth paying the extra., 22 Jun. 2016
I've been using this top box for over a year now and as time goes by I get to appreciate it more and more - so glad that I didn't buy a rounded, plastic one!

The practicality that comes from having a square box (big enough to carry LP records in, flat) like this is something that is easily overlooked at the time of purchase. Nonetheless, I feel sure that I am able to get more into this box and have those things fit neatly and securely, than I could with a rounded design. It will easily take any size full face helmet, too, so that need be of no concern.

The other thing that I have grown to really love about this box are the side handles. Not only do they make it easy to carry the box (with box handles) when it is very heavily loaded, but it is equally easy to carry it from your bike to your hotel room with just two fingers when it is not so heavily loaded. What's more, the handles can team up with the special 'tie-down' bars on the front and rear of the box and this allows you to have endless options for securing additional luggage (e.g. a dry bag) to the lid of the top box (rather than sitting stuff on the passenger part of the saddle, for instance). This is something that most 'normal' top boxes cannot do, being either too flimsy or simply not having the required fittings in the first place.

To make mine more practical, I have even added a motion-detecting interior light (see photo), which is simply held to the inner edge of the lid with double-sided tape - a really useful little mod (even if I do say so myself) :-) .

Although the Givi Trekker model featured here looks almost the same as the OEM accessory top box, which Suzuki sell to use on their V Strom machines, I have to say (having had my hands on a Suzuki one) that the Givi version feels sturdier and is, in my opinion, much better made and finished.

At the price I paid, this metal box was only 15% more expensive than the top of the range of 'plastic' boxes from Givi. However, it is so practical and of such lasting quality that I expect to keep it for a very long time and transport it from bike to bike.

Excellent product - well done, Givi!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Closer [VINYL]
Closer [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the vinyl lovers., 22 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Closer [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Leaving aside completely the music recorded on this 180g slab of vinyl, I would just like to assure any would-be purchasers that the quality of the record itself and the thick, plush sleeve/inner sleeve are all of a very high standard of quality indeed. I am not in a position to compare the mastering to any previous versions of the album, but I can only say that the vinyl itself (on my copy) is extremely flat and that the pressing depth, accuracy & centering all seem to be excellent, too.

The album plays perfectly and sounds vivid - morbid, but vivid ;-) .

Roypow I80 12V Car Auto Electric Air Compressor & Portable Tire Inflator & Pump tool for motorcycle, bicycle, balls and air cushion inflation
Offered by Roypow UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great choice for the motorcyclist., 22 Jun. 2016
There are many portable air compressors on the market, but I was looking for one specifically to carry with me when out touring on my motorcycle and the compact size of this model made me plump for it. Once it had arrived, I was satisfied with the size and the reasonable build quality of it, but things went downhill from there.

There were two crucial issues, which made it of no use to me. Firstly, the air hose is less than six inches long and that made attaching it to the tyre valve (avoiding the brake discs, sprocket etc.) very tricky indeed, as you are constantly trying to hold the body of the unit out of the way. One of the product photos of the compressor shows a lady using one to inflate a car tyre, but doesn't (I feel) illustrate clearly enough just how short that hose is.

Secondly, the pressure meter on my particular unit was either faulty or was of very poor quality. I tested on tyre that was inflated to 40 PSI and pre-checked with certified, calibrated air pressure gauge. When the hose from the Roypow 180 was first connected, I got a reading that was 6 PSI too low, but as soon as I began to pump air into the tyre, the gauge went up to nearly 45 PSI and stayed there. This level of (in)accuracy may be acceptable for a car driver inflating one tyre in an emergency, but is definitely not suitable or safe for a motorcyclist to rely on when making daily checks of tyre pressures far from home!

So, I have only awarded two stars in this instance. Don't let it put you off though, if you only want a compact pump to carry in the boot of the car for an emergency - a fully-functioning one of these (unlike my example) would probably be as good a choice as any, for the money.

The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]
The Final Cut [Discovery Edition]

5.0 out of 5 stars Take heed of the dream., 15 Jun. 2016
If listening to this album with headphones on and eyes closed doesn't put a lump in your throat, you may well be missing a vital part of your soul :-( .

Bish Bosch (Bonus One CD) [VINYL]
Bish Bosch (Bonus One CD) [VINYL]

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious codswallop?, 27 Mar. 2016
This album is easy to dismiss as pretentious codswallop. Sooooo easy, in fact, that after a two years of listening to four sides of slightly abstract, deliberately shocking and confusing lyrics paired with unmusical 'music', I have to throw my hands in the air and confess to having 'been had'! This is not an album that I enjoy listening to - it means nothing to me, because it is probably not meant to be understood ... or enjoyed (I believe).

Scott Walker (these days) is an artist, rather than a 'singer'. I appreciate the beauty of much of what he has recorded in his lifetime, but with this album I feel that only Scott himself can fully understand it and (as 'his audience') I rather resent being 'locked out' of whatever it is that he is trying to communicate. In all probability, I am simply too common and/or stupid.

Some reviewers think that this album heralds 'inevitable the future direction of music' - I'm fairly sure that I read the same thing about the music of 'Soul II Soul' in the late 1980s!? Once again, only time will tell ...

On the plus side (and earning the second star); the vinyl is of very high quality and the packaging suitably sumptuous. I look forward to selling my (largely unplayed) copy for five times what I paid for it to some unsuspecting student in decades to come :-) .

(Genuinely) sorry, Scott :-( . You've lost me completely.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2016 11:57 AM BST

Trip-Trap Boxed Pack (Single)
Trip-Trap Boxed Pack (Single)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too short to be effective - don't buy this design!, 11 Mar. 2016
There's one massive problem with this design - the corridor of the trap is TOO SHORT!!! I've been using one for nearly a year now and could never understand why I have only caught three mice in that time and the rest of the time the trap is emptied of bait over the course of a few nights and is often left with the door closed but no mouse inside!? I thought that they must be working in pairs! Well, they're not.

Tonight, I managed to catch sight of a mouse raiding the trap. It walked in slowly, stretched itself out as far as it could until if had a raisin in its mouth, then slowly wriggled backwards to get out. As it did this, I saw that it had triggered the flap, but the flap simply fell on the mouses hind quarters and it was easily able to wriggle out backwards and disappear back under the fridge. If the tunnel on the body of the trap were long enough so that the mouse was completely inside before it hit the trigger, then it would probably work every time.

The manufacturers must have tested these and realised this flaw, so it beats me why they still make it this way!?

Take my advice, don't waste your time and money on this design - look for something longer!

Spin Clean Record Washer MKII
Spin Clean Record Washer MKII
Offered by Joe-Audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats replacing all of your 'old' vinyl!, 6 May 2014
Yes, £80 is a lot of money for a plastic trough, whichever way you slice it. However, it does such a great job of cleaning ingrained, microscopic dirt and dust from the grooves of old records (and removing mould residue from brand new records), that it has literally paid for itself in my case, as I no longer feel the need to replace some of my 'worn' old records! It turns out that some of them weren't really worn out at all - they were just in need of a good bath! That said, if your records have scratches or groove wear, this product won't help you much.

The replacement fluid is quite expensive and doesn't go as far as the manufacturers claim, so budget for that if you are thinking of doing more than 250 LPs (which is about as far as I could stretch the supplied 4oz bottle).

As well as cleaning the grooves, the cleaning process removes all static charge and so drying the records with a cloth becomes simple and they slide in and out of their sleeves with great ease for several plays afterwards. Recommended!

One For All URC 7960 Smart Control Universal Remote Control
One For All URC 7960 Smart Control Universal Remote Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Rewards patience during the setting up process., 6 May 2014
As far as I can determine, the main reason that competing units (like Logitech's) cost four or five times more than some of the All For One range is that they are easier to set up - the functionality is more or less the same for all of them! That being the case, I decided not to waste a lot of money on a more expensive unit (especially as some of them had non-replaceable rechargable batteries fitted) and persevere with learning to programme this six-in-one universal remote.

Although it did take a couple of days to get it to do everything that I wanted it to, the point is that THERE IS ALWAYS A WAY with this unit, by virtue of its 'learning' capabilities. As long as you have the original remote controls and the buttons all work on them, you can always manually copy functions to the new remote. I had to do this with a couple of devices that didn't have any codes available (or the supplied codes didn't work) and now I have all the control I need over six different devices.

The quality (feel) of the unit is a lot better than I had expected, for the money, too.

All in all, a very good buy, despite the initial confusion and frustrations with trying to set it all up using 'codes'.

Recommended!

SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
SanDisk SDMX18-008G-E46K Sansa Clip+ MP3 Player - 8 GB, Black
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars For every four people who love this player, one hates it - that's not a good recommendation!, 6 May 2014
I wish that I'd spent more time looking at the Amazon feedback before I bought this player.

As nearly everyone else has said, when it's working, it's a great sounding and easy to use device. The problem is that an unnaceptable percentage of them seem to die within a few months (like, one in six, or thereabouts). Annoyingly, mine (like most) died after two months - just weeks after the Amazon return date expired! Although I thought that my Statutory Rights would still allow me to return a faulty item to the vendor, it seems that Amazon do not recongnise this past their 30 day limit (which, I suppose, is fair).

So, like many others, I am left to try and negotiate a replacement with Sandisk (possibly invovling returning the old one at my own expense?). Just goes to show - you get what you pay for :-( !

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4