Profile for Flighty Rach > Reviews

Content by Flighty Rach

Flighty Rach (Essex United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
Miss Dahl's Voluptuous Delights
by Sophie Dahl

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful... but don't want to cook from it!, 20 Jun. 2009
When I first got this, I thought it was lovely; it would make a great gift as it's very elegantly put together and looks much more expensive than it is. I enjoyed reading Sophie Dahl's potted biography sections, which separate the seasonal chapters, although I'm not sure I'll ever read those bits again, and the pictures are very stylish.

But... when it came down to it, I struggled to find a single recipe I wanted to eat. Maybe if you're used to being a model on a cabbage soup diet, these meals seem 'voluptous' but to a greedyguts like me they seem the opposite to luxurious. They are mainly vegetarian, with lots of omelette type things, as well as mushrooms and brown rice . Even the flapjacks had no sugar in them. Pshaw!

This book is currently paired up with Fay Ripley's cookbook on Amazon, but I would warn you that they are nothing alike. I much prefered Fay's, which is FULL of things I couldn't wait to eat. This book is not a family cook book at all, almost all the recipes are for 2, and not very child friendly.

Sadly I think this is one of those coffee table cookbooks which is for reading and not for cooking.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2010 12:56 PM BST

Wii Fit with  Balance Board  (Wii) [Nintendo Wii]
Wii Fit with Balance Board (Wii) [Nintendo Wii]

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it and lose it!, 10 April 2009
If you're reading this, you must be wondering whether or not to take the plunge, so hear's my two pen'th:

The WiiFit is like most fitness things, and only as good as the person using it! I have to say though, so far I've found it really fab, and very motivating. I do like to exercise, but found it hard to fit my old routines into life having just had my 4th baby, especially as I'm feeding him and don't like leaving him. Having something I can pick up whenever I have a free moment is great, as I can no longer fit in with pool/class timetables. I don't think the Wiifit will add much to the serious gym bunnie's life, but if like me, you can't get out and have to exercise at home, I think you'll find it very useful.

I really enjoy the aerobic bit of the WiiFit; best is free runing, where you can jog on the spot for 15, 20 or 30 mins, and see how far you can get, and there's a step programme, hula hooping and a boxercise session. It's all quite basic and tame, but it does motivate you to get up at least! I try and run 20 minutes most days and I am definitely fitter. I managed to get out the other weekend and run in real life, and managed 5k, it took me 27 mins. I was very proud!

The yoga is better than I thought, quite challenging, and I am definitely improving! I'm not so sure about the 'muscle work outs'. They are awkward to do on the board, and they are ever so easy to do wrong, which worries me, as I imagine it could be easy to injure yourself. I think a good dvd is better (like good old Davina!)

There is also no structure to the workout, so it can be hard to work out what to do to get the result you're after. You could do a few squats, then mess about pretending to be a bubble for 20 minutes, and it all counts as the same level of exercising.

The balance games are just fun! I don't think they do anything for fitness/weight loss, but they are a laugh! And the kids love them.

I'm really really glad I got mine, I didn't want one, my husand just bought it for me for my birthday, but I use it all the time. One of the best things for me, as I'm quite goal orientated, is the tracking. You can set yourself a goal weight or bmi, and it will help you track your weight by plotting a graph over time, if you weigh in regularly. I've found it cheered me up to see my overall trend was downwards, when I was feeling bad about not losing, or gaining a pound here or there. In the time I've had it ( 2 months), I've gone from weighing 11 stone to 10 stone 3, and still losing, without dieting. I am now progressing to using exercise dvds and running 'in real life', but I still use the wiifit daily.

I think if you really want to get fitter, but are unsure where to start, then this could be the boost you need. And it's also loads of fun.

How to feed your whole family: A healthy, balanced diet with very little money
How to feed your whole family: A healthy, balanced diet with very little money
by Gill Holcombe

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, 4 Feb. 2009
There are a couple of really good recipes in here; my children absolutely loved the sweet and sour chicken. But it is very basic stuff, and if you cook 'proper' meals already, you really won't find anything new. In fact, my 8 year old daughter could follow and cook a lot of the recipes (which was really nice, but not what I was expecting).

The meals are also bland in the extreme, useful with children sometimes but not to be pandered to permanently imo, I eat with my kids and I like food to have a bit of taste!

If you are a bit of a 'baking tray cook', and tend to serve up pizza, nuggets, waffles etc on a nightly basis, this is a very uscary way of introducing some new meals to your repetoire. The kids will eat them, they work, there aren't too many ingredients and most things are super quick to make. If you can already make basic things like chilli, shepherd's pie, pasta bakes...then you can live without this book tbh.

The Kitchen Revolution: A Year of Time-and-money-saving Recipes
The Kitchen Revolution: A Year of Time-and-money-saving Recipes
by Rosie Sykes

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea but hard work., 1 Feb. 2009
I have mixed feelings about this book, as when I first got it I used it religiously, for about 2 - 3 months, and in the main was pleased by the results.

I liked the fact I could go online and print off a shopping list, that's a fab idea, and some of the recipes were really good. The red chicken and the broccoli carbonara are now firm family faves. It also got me into good habits, such as reusing meat in a pie the next day. I personally found my kids would eat most of the recipes, but they are quite adventurous, or at least, obedient... it isn't a particulary child friendly book though, and my youngest struggled with some of the tastes and textures.

In the beginning, things seemed expensive, as other people mention, there are a LOT of ingredients, but the savings accumulate.... you only need to buy, say, a jar of harissa paste once, and it gets used several more times as the weeks go by.

Two things put me off, one was a quite hideous recipe, lamb's neck stew, a dish so truly appalling that the children still talk of it in hushed tones, and even my husband (who eats anything and detests wasting food) couldn't eat it. I don't know if you've ever seem a lamb's neck, I hadn't, and I never want to again. The second was the fact I had another baby (my 4th) and I find that the shopping for ingredients, and the making of the 'big meal from scratch' is beyond me at the moment.

All in all, I thought this was a worthwhile purchase, it probably saved me the cover price while I used it, and I think I'll return to it again once my baby is a little bigger. It has changed how I think about cooking, I was never a ready meal person, but I did cook 'one off' meals every night, now I find I do think about what I can use up the next day.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't it be great if this worked?, 24 Jan. 2009
... but, for me, it didn't. I thought I was a bit long in the tooth to be taken in by miracle creams, but the overwhelmingly positive press this brand has had convinced me to try it, even though it's much more expensive than anything I'd normally use.

I used it for a month exactly as directed, and have to say I saw no difference in my skin tome or 'shape'. It didn't even soften my skin, tbh I've had better results with Palmers Cocoa Butter.

Now the cream is used up, my hips are slimming down and toning up, but only because I'm back to swimming three times a week.

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
The Private Lives of Pippa Lee
by Rebecca Miller

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear!!, 31 Aug. 2008
I rarely review anything, but this is such a stinker I felt I had to!

I don't think I've ever read about such an unconvincing set of characters in my life; when the book began I thought it was going to b a sub-Ann Tyler story of the American literary set, but then it changes to a series of flashbacks.. childhood, an'angry teen' riff, and then a few unsexy sex scenes. Every relationship seemed to be to sound a false note. I agree with the reviewers who found the book anoying; it is! I'm not sure if it's Pippa herself who's intrinsically annoying, or the way she changes character every 5 minutes... I 'get' that it's supposed to be a charting of how people can change ... but even so...

If you want to read about how a woman can change over the course of her life, as she adapts into motherhood and wifedom, then I recommend Anne Tyler's Back When We Were Grown Ups. It will mean giving up the sadmasochism, but it's a much better read!

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Unabridged 8 Audio Cassette Set)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Unabridged 8 Audio Cassette Set)
by J.K. Rowling
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (audio book), 18 May 2003
Don't buy this for your children to listen to at bedtime, as I did. They'll never go to sleep! These tapes are brilliant.
Stephen Fry is just the perfect narrator for the Harry Potter series, and I think the Prisoner of Azkaban is the best of the lot. Such an exciting story, with lots of humour, it lacks the dark undercurrents of Goblet of Fire, and so is more suitable for all the family.
We listened to it on our way down to the West Country, and I really don't know who enjoyed it more, the children or the adults. It converted my husband to a Potter fan, and even my 3 year old was entranced.
Just be prepared for a pyjama-clad figure to appear down stairs regularly, asking you to put the next tape on!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3