Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Profile for dlight69 > Reviews

Content by dlight69

dlight69 (Dubai)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Teacher: A shocking and compelling new crime thriller - NOT for the faint-hearted!

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete tripe - don't bother, 3 May 2016
This is the book with everything...everything you would want to avoid in a good read that is. If your idea of fun is graphic descriptions of multiple removals of entrails and distributions thereof, totally unrealistic plots (e.g. chief suspect turns up at police investigator's pad asking for assistance, secret room discovered in public museum by casual observation of floor plan), and progressively appalling writing, this is for you. Note to author - reading is supposed to be fun, enlightening, invigorating or, if disturbing, at least intelligent and thought provoking. Instead of the graphic records of limb dismemberment and intestine distribution described in this "museum of horrors", the biggest torture I can imagine is having this turgid, gratuitously gore-strewn "penny dreadful" read out aloud while trying to concentrate on a comparatively high-brow edition of Eastenders or "It's a knockout". Utter tripe - avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2016 10:14 PM BST

Microsoft Band 2 - Large
Microsoft Band 2 - Large
Offered by Mystic UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and informative partner for windows Phone, 16 Mar. 2016
I've had Jawbone up for a couple of years and was ready to take a step up with one of the latest fitness trackers. I hate anything Apple with a passion so the Huwai watch looked like a reasonable bet until I discovered that without an Android phone to pair with, it would be just an expensive step counter. I've had the band about 3 weeks now and it's first serious use was on a ski trip where it diligently recorded all my runs, synced with my phone and showed me where we'd been - but only for the morning when the battery expired. Turning GPS off helps a lot so I record my twice-daily runs without GPS now so it lasts a whole day in between charges. News and mail feeds are fun, heart rate counter not that accurate I suspect, and UV sensor not at all reliable in my opinion. Sleep sensor seems pretty accurate and even records my sleep time if I forget to set it before nodding off ( I guess if I'm inactive in the middle of the night it assumes I'm asleep, or possibly dead....)
So 3 weeks later am I glad I bought it? Well, yes it's certainly a step up (pun intended) on my Jawbone UP and at £150 a reasonable price for what it does. The acid test? Well I religiously charge it up every day when I'm not busy and would miss it if it weren't on my wrist. So yes, it's a keeper, at least until the next BIG THING replaces it (Microsoft elegant smart watch anyone?)

Stranger Child
Stranger Child

4.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing and engaging tale, we;; written and a thoroughly enjoyable read if you're prepared to suspend your reality check, 27 July 2015
This review is from: Stranger Child (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book - the author certainly knows how to weave a complex web of mystery and intrigue that keeps you wanting to turn that next page and learn more. And the characters are generally well painted and developed - I felt I knew most of the main characters by the end of the book, especially poor Ollie who touched every parent's familiarity with the lovely, happy, smiling but vulnerable baby for whom you would unquestioningly do anything. Only 4 stars because the association between the characters, while adding interest, stretched credibility beyond breaking point to such an extent that a multi-million lottery win for every one of them in the same draw would have been more likely.Still, suspend your critical faculties, lie back and enjoy - I ordered 4 more Rachel Abbott books on the basis of this one and enjoying the next one too. She write's well - bring 'em on!

Red Blitz
Red Blitz

1.0 out of 5 stars Did he write this for a bet?, 10 July 2015
This review is from: Red Blitz (Kindle Edition)
Having mostly enjoyed, with some reservations but mostly admiration, his work "Stark Warning" I had no hesitation in ordering this offering by the same author, the themed location of which is based close to my home in Verona. What a disappointment, then, to find a thin plot, desperate characterisation and a storyline redolent of a poor 6th former's essay. Did the same author really have the audacity to release this? Maybe it was ghost written, or if not ghost, maybe zombie-written, as it had more in common with the half dead than the once alive. I finished this lightweight effort in a short afternoon, which I sincerely hope is longer than it took the author to compose this disappointingly poor bin-fodder. And James, it's Mestre, by the way not Mestra, as you frequently refer to the nearby district of Venezia. Mestra is a Spanish beer which maybe had too much ( or too little? ) involvement with this startlingly poor effort. Avoid - probably both.

The Lie
The Lie

3.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to suspend all sense of reality - "far fetched" doesn't begin to describe the plot or the (largely unappealing) cast, 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Lie (Kindle Edition)
This starts off a bit "chick lit" and I almost gave up during the first few lightweight chapters. However it darkens steadily as you progress and provided you're happy to suspend all sense of reality (the plot is far-fetched to say the least), it's not a bad lightweight holiday read. I did find all 4 girls particularly unlikeable for their own individual reasons with Al being more suited to a study of cage fighting than as a likely companion to the rest of the motley group. Emma/Jane is particularly wet - if she's not fainting it's only because she's too busy throwing up. The text could have benefited from some tighter editing too - I lost count of the number of times the characters "padded" from one place to another - it's quite an attractive description of how one would typically move from bed to the bathroom, but after the upteenth reference it gets tiresome.
So I struggled though it and I'm glad I finished it but not a read I'd strongly recommend overall.

Stark Warning
Stark Warning

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the dire first few pages - it gets better and better!, 24 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Stark Warning (Kindle Edition)
I almost didn't get past chapter 1 which had more in common with a year 6 essay than a serious novel. 1st person writing can be challenging but the first couple of chapters were examples of the worst of the genre - short, basic sentences setting out the scene just as a 10 year old would do for his or her first attempt at a short story. But I persevered and thank god I did - it just got better and better to the extent that I could almost write the epic "once I picked it up...." or "a real page turner". Anyway, despite the cliches, it is all of this - a great read, absorbing characters, interesting twists and turns and a great little swerve at the very end. Very enjoyable and recommended.

The End of the World Running Club
The End of the World Running Club

3.0 out of 5 stars An engaging read but one I found oddly depressive when I think the intention was for something upbeat and hopeful?, 21 Jun. 2015
A strange one, this. OK I'm a sucker for end of the world apocalypse and "how would we all cope" scenarios. And this wasn't a bad construction by any means. I liked that the main character was an overweight, unlikely survivor, just as most of us would identify with in a similar situation. The scenarios which his motley group encounter are believable in a short-termism "just think what could happen" macabre vision, but are surely not sustainable for the period following the apocalypse that the author suggests. Nevertheless it was an entertaining read with touching references such as the "stringy phone" which all dads-with-daughters could relate to. An intriguing read but not one which left me feeling joyous for some reason despite the obvious upbeat end-game tonality....

Deadly Stillwater: A compelling crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Series)
Deadly Stillwater: A compelling crime thriller (Mac McRyan Mystery Series)

1.0 out of 5 stars Just as well it was free, but still expensive for its intellectual content, 21 Jun. 2015
I agree with most of the other one-star reviews - this is the literary equivalent of crap daytime TV. The main character, Macsomething or other (not Donald is all I remember - shows how much I cared... )was totally unreal with his rugged good looks, super intelligence, inspired hunches, dogged determinism. And the constant hero worship of everything police-related ("4th generation cop, one of the best", "it's for the chief, his daughter's been kidnapped" "then consider it done". Oh please - in modern times, rightly or wrongly a more typical response would be "serves the bastard right". Surely the author is pulling readers' collective plonkers with his character names - Dick Lich, Double Frank etc are bearable, but how can he blandly tag the main villain with "Smith Brown" and then go on to burden a minor character as "Summer Plantagenet"? At anything over £0.00 I'd feel I'd been taken for a ride - just as 2 of the main characters were in the unbelievable end-chase sequence. Utter garbage, but I had to get to the end to see if Super Mac would actually walk on water eventually (spoiler - he doesn't).

Starter For Ten
Starter For Ten

3.0 out of 5 stars Later offerings are MUCH better, 5 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Starter For Ten (Kindle Edition)
I arrived at this in reverse chronological sequence which was fortunate as based on this effort I'm not sure I would have been minded to move on to the excellent "Us" or "One Day". In most ways I found it difficult to accept that this was the same writer who had thrilled and challenged me so much in his later two , much more enjoyable efforts. This is a student's' essay by comparison - shows promise but lacks most of the sophistication and humour so apparent in the later offerings. Thank god I read the later books before this one otherwise based on this one alone I'm not sure I would have gone on to look at the delights of the others. So, a reasonable read but not in the same class as Up or One Day - read them first so you can forgive the clichés and clumsiness of this novel whilst appreciating the incipient sophistication of the later offerings.

The Children Act
The Children Act

3.0 out of 5 stars A clever but ultimately bleak and joyless read, 30 May 2015
This review is from: The Children Act (Kindle Edition)
Let's get this out of the way to begin with - I have enormous respect for this author and have enjoyed many of his books. His mastery of research and observation is apparent in his rich description of legal argument, banter and life in general for the privileged occupants of Middle Temple.
But was it an enjoyable read? Just like one of Fiona's judgments, it was carefully balanced, researched, weighted and just. Was it fun? Personally I got more pleasure out of reading the full text of the Interpretation Act 1978 than this humourless, mirthless, joyless and frankly depressing tale. If I need help to cut my wrists anytime, I'll read this while downing my sleeping tablets and litre of vodka. Sorry, Ian, brilliantly written but I read fiction to be cheered up and released from life's all too obvious downers.not to be depressed by the futility of it all.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3