Profile for H > Reviews

Content by H

H (Barcelona, Catalonia)

Andrew James Ice Cream Maker - Voted "Best Buy" By Which? Magazine. 1.5 Litre - White
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to clean, 13 July 2013
This is my first ice cream machine and I've had it for two years now. I've made about 20 ice creams now and the machine has done its job well. It's good value and the motor is resisting so far.

It does have one design flaw and that's the cleaning. The design of the top lid and the electric part is not very well resolved at all. The plastic lid has several nooks and crannies that are hard to reach by hand and it has to go in the dish washer (so beware if you don't have one.) Then there are two plastic bits belonging to the motor part that are in contact with the ice cream mixture and get dirty every time, and it's practically impossible to clean them.

Since I got this machine, I've seen others that don't suffer from this flaw. I recommend you look for them.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2013 9:05 AM BST

Haunted London Underground
Haunted London Underground
by David Brandon

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, really poor., 6 Dec. 2010
I bought this in spite of a couple of bad reviews that warned me about how poorly written it was. I was ready to put up with it, I thought. I love ghost stories and I had heard some really good ones about the London Underground. How bad can it be? The answer is really, really bad. It's not that the style is mediocre or the grammar poor (which it is). It's as if it was written by somebody who does not care about ghosts, ghost stories and, heck, stories themselves! This is not story-telling, it's story-spoiling! As if the authors decided to start telling the thing right at the point where it will make it completely uninteresting and unnecessary to read any more. On top of that, has anybody bothered editing or, indeed, reading this before it went to printing? Repetitions, scrambled grammar, disastrous punctuation, you name it, this book has it. I don't think I've read anything worse. And I love picking up unknown paperbacks at charity shops!

So, let's say you love ghosts, or ghost stories, and you have heard there are some really good ones about the London Underground. How bad can this be? As somebody who was exactly where you are now, trust me, look somewhere else. This is just as bad as it gets.

(And before anybody jumps to criticise my grammar, spelling, style or anything else, please forgive me, I'm not a born English-speaker.)

Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (Penguin Modern Classics)
Seven Pillars of Wisdom: A Triumph (Penguin Modern Classics)
by T.E. Lawrence

5.0 out of 5 stars Fundamental, 30 Jan. 2008
This book has continued to haunt me for ten years, ever since I first read it. It took me a whole summer, and I'm a pretty good reader. One of the reviews here has described it as "dry as a desert", and in a way I agree, since its beauty is not superficial and it takes effort and endurance, and it's definitely not easy to navigate, but in my case it was worth every step of the way.

It's not a book to learn the history of the Arab revolt. It's about its author, one of the most mysterious men that ever wrote a book. Lawrence's mindset and complex psychology is highly uncommon, no less than his talent for writing. This book was almost like a journey, and it changed me in subtle and enduring ways - but then again I'm quite a passionate person. I'm sure this is not a book for everyone. But it could be something big for some, something important.