Profile for BigEl > Reviews

Content by BigEl

BigEl "I don't fear death, I just don't want to be around when it happens"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
The Pi Hut Heatsink for Raspberry Pi - Light Blue
The Pi Hut Heatsink for Raspberry Pi - Light Blue
Offered by The Pi Hut

3.0 out of 5 stars /cpuburn-a53 This will show you the temperatures whilst running a pretty harsh stress test, 18 Mar. 2017
Expensive for what it is and on a pi3 I'm not sure how effective it is.

As a test I loaded stress - sudo apt-get stress.
Then use the following line:
while true; do vcgencmd measure_clock arm; vcgencmd measure_temp; sleep 10; done& ./cpuburn-a53

This will show you the temperatures whilst running a pretty harsh stress test.

Running this without a heatsink I got up to 80 degrees pretty quickly - probably by the 3rd temp report. I aborted this around 84 degrees and perhaps this would have gone higher .. not sure.

I then fitted the HS and ran the test. This was a slower climb .. perhaps 5 reports to get to 80 and above - it appeared to settle around 83 degrees but I stopped it there.

So the HS isn't going to stop it getting to the magic 80 degrees where the throttling will take place. I think a fan may be the only answer but even then.

Now when considering if this is worth it or not one has to consider real world applications and you'd need to do a watch for temperatures for the application that you intend to run and see if it will hold the temp you require.

Bear in mind that the stress test I've used is probably going to be pretty extreme and it's unlikely that your required app will push it this far.

Given that the pi3 runs much hotter than its predecessors (eg. the pi2 under the same stress test without a HS would get to 65 max) I believe it's better to put one of these on anyway and depending on your desired application consider a fan if it's not enough,

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Quad Core CPU 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM Motherboard
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Quad Core CPU 1.2 GHz 1 GB RAM Motherboard
Offered by Almost Anything Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars internal wifi - channels supported up to 11, 18 Mar. 2017
Well I was excited to get the Pi3 and it arrived today. I put my SD card from the Pi2 in there and it all booted up fine. I noticed an immediate problem with the onboard wifi though and had no bluetooth.

Bluetooth not a problem, I just plugged in my pi2 setup (temporary and so it's just the drivers are probably not installed - not an issue)

Wifi problem : First off it just didn't see my SID even though it's set to broadcast.
It saw tons of other SIDs all round me and that was curious so I got into my router to check some things. I noticed only one thing and that was that was broadcasting on channel 13.
My old adapter has no problem with this but if you SSH in and do: sudo iwlist wlan0 channel You will probably see that it only detects up to channel 11.

The solution although I haven't got that far I found was to first set your wifi country to GB - via raspi-config > localization Then you need to update / upgrade. The problem seems to be that not all countries allow channel numbers above 11 and so the firmware needs to be configured to look for channels higher than this and the country spec is an important part of this process as channel 12 and 13 are valid for GB and some other countries. Thankfully this can be sorted as I prefer to use channel 13 since it's the strongest channel for me.

For those that come up across this problem then search google for 'get-channels-12-and-13-on-the-raspberry-pi-3' which will provide full instructions and the description of the problem

Double Sided Foam Tape - White - 2mm x 10mm x 25m - Security / Glazing / Craft Tape
Offered by Virtual Plastics

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy so far, 18 Mar. 2017
I needed this to re-attach the heater wires on my rear Aygo window. I was somewhat worried that it wouldn't be sticky enough as I had tried some double sided carpet tape an it just dropped off - admittedly the carpet tape was old and probably lost it's grip.

This did the job and of course it has a foam center which was ideal for this job. Happy so far.

Pibow 3 Coupé Flotilla. The slim, hackable, and attractive case for the Raspberry Pi!
Offered by Pimoroni Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks cool and very neat, 18 Mar. 2017
Yep, have eyed these for a while now and finally when I bought my new RPI3 I decided to get one.
It took me all of 8 mins to put together most of that time was trying to get a purchase on the protective sticky on each piece.

Looks cool and very neat. I asked Pimoroni about fitting a fan and they suggested that the top can be drilled carefully and if cracking it will replace the top for me. What service! Suggestion for anyone wanting to add a fan to this.
1. Make sure your heatsink (if you are fitting one is no higher than 6mm)
2. put some tape (making tape over the top before you drill and it should prevent it from cracking.

The tape suggestion is from Pimoroni as I have not yet done this as I want to see if the heatsink will be enough and that hasn't arrived yet.
So far this case is pretty cute looking and I'm pretty happy

Shower Hose Washers (x10)
Shower Hose Washers (x10)
Offered by E2Trade

5.0 out of 5 stars These are great value 10 of them in a pack so you ..., 18 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Shower Hose Washers (x10) (Misc.)
Well what can you say? When you need these you need these. My shower head I noticed was leaking at the seal and of course my stock of tap washers were not what I needed.

These are great value 10 of them in a pack so you can replace the 2 you need and still have 5 more replacements. Best to change them at certain intervals than let them start leaking. I didn't need them for years though and these, even if under par (and I'm not saying they aren't) should still last a few years before they need changing.

Teemzone Genuine Leather Wallet for Men Designer Helm Wallet Horzion Blue
Teemzone Genuine Leather Wallet for Men Designer Helm Wallet Horzion Blue
Offered by Teemzone

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a good wallet and is real leather (, 18 Mar. 2017
This is a good wallet and is real leather (... I think) but it's not a great wallet.
A couple of things I didn't like. The blue is not as blue as the picture, it's much duller in colour and slightly disappointing as a result.
The wallet when opened is a bit awkward because the way it's designed it won't open fully. This is by design probably to force it to close itself.

The card slots are very wide which allows for rfid sheilds if you want / need them and I did like the inclusion of the sd & sim card slots which is a nice touch.

I'd like to see a clasp but to be fair it's obvious this doesn't have one and I bought it anyway :-)
Other than that for the price this is not a bad choice it's made to be light and fits the bill.

Panasonic KX-TGJ324EB Quad Handset Cordless Home Phone with Nuisance Call Blocker and LCD Colour Display - Black
Offered by TUFFskinz

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder and great value if you get it on a special, 18 Mar. 2017
I managed to get these on a good deal so although I didn't really need 4 handsets I got those just to have some spares.
These replaced a much older set of Panasonic phones that I needed to retire and so far they appear to be working well.
I had deliberated between these and the BT 8600 for the nuisance call blocking but thankfully I don't have a severe problem like many out there and it may tip your choice if you do, however, these do the job well but don't have the extra features of screening that the BT phones do.

I also wanted the alarm feature of the Panasonics which (on the old sets) allowed up to 3 alarms on each handset. These I believe have 5. Most other phones don't seem to have more than 1. My preference of course and perhaps not something most might consider when looking for such phones.

I've noticed that although the phone quality is clear they are not as loud as my previous phones but they are just about adequate and speaker phone works well.
Some things to note.

PROS:

1) Good looking design.
2) Colour screen with changeable wallpaper
3) Answer machine speaker and led indicator + ringer (previous one didn't have)
4) Can turn off display when charging - good when you've got one in the bedroom
5) Phone book entries entered in one handset are automatically visible in all other handsets. (This was a tedious manual process on the last phone)
6) Categorisation of phone numbers. Allows searching by category - useful. Customisable category names
7) Intercom allows auto answer (set on individual handsets) and conference calls
8) Phone entries now allow multiple numbers for each person
9) Allows naming of each handset for easy identification.
10) Every menu item is accessible in a direct way. Entering a number but it's a mixed blessing - would you remember 100 different numbers?
11) Remote control of phone allows you to phone in to get your messages
12) Nice feature to compliment 11) is that you can give your answer machine a phone number to call when a message is left. Good feature to have for some.

CONS:
1) Somewhat lower sound volume
2) Changeable wallpaper yes but not many choices and no custom option (shame)
3) Ringtones as always are pretty disgusting. There are a lot to choose from but finding one that doesn't make you cringe is difficult. When will they allow downloadable ringtones, this is 2017 !!
4) Checking missed calls identified in your phone book curiously doesn't show the other numbers you may have recorded when you request details. (strange - it just shows that person and the number that they rang from - seems pointless having 'details' option then.)
5) Missed call list shows a separate entry fo same number - does not allow "Erasing All" - so would be tedious to clear call lists one by one.
6) CPU is fairly slow when searching or scrolling down phone list. They definitely could have done better here either in choice of processor or better searching algorithms.
7) There are a couple of menu items that are inaccessible via the normal menu tree. These are accessed by typing in a #number that you will probably never remember. Thankfully there are only about 4 and they are not things you will need on a daily basis.

Call blocking:

I can't comment too much on this as I haven't used it much.
Currently you have 3 choices

1) Block a single number (enter it manually or select it from the missed call list)
2) Block a range of numbers
3) Block withheld numbers

I assume that 3) will also block international calls. Most people's problems with this choice is that 1. it doesn't discriminate between international and withheld and 2. when using this option you might well block valid withheld numbers eg. your doctor's surgery - mine at least withholds the number.

In conclusion and from my lengthy research there IS no phone that is going to satisfy everyone's requirement / wish, I don't think it exists but if you want a phone with lots of features and blocks individual numbers when needed this is it. For nuisance calls it appears the main choices were this and the BT 8600 but frankly I find it hard to buy anything BT but that's just me.

WD 3 TB 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive - Black
WD 3 TB 3.5-inch Internal Hard Drive - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars WD Blacks are great but in this case ...., 17 Feb. 2017
As this review is for the WD Black drive - I am a fan of them and so this gets 5 star, however, my experience (from a market seller) was bad and I had to send mine straight back.
Reason being that WD recorded this as "invalid warranty".

Most of us stretch to getting a WD Black usually for 2 main reasons.
1. Performance
2. that 5 year warranty.

So when I found that I had NO warranty that was unacceptable and even WD when contacted were unable to tell my why it was invalid but suggested that it must have been refurbished.

So here is the warning if you don't already do this:

When you get your drive and without cutting open the package go and try to register it on the WD site. This is the first thing you should do anyway with WD drives. If you don't already have an account, create one it's easy and they keep the details of your drive and its warranty making it very easy to return to WD if you have problems.

Once you've made sure your drive is accepted cut open install and enjoy.

I'd recommend that you choose a WD black from either Amazon or Amazon fullfilled as return /refunds are less than smooth otherwise.
So my 5 star review still stands because it is specifically for the drive itself and not for the experience I had which is the correct thing to do.

AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI CL3 Cable - 3 m / 10 Feet (Latest Standard)
AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI CL3 Cable - 3 m / 10 Feet (Latest Standard)

5.0 out of 5 stars they are great value for money and are not flimsy as one ..., 9 Dec. 2016
On several occasions I've bought Amazon basics cables and have found the to be very well manufactured and reliable. I've often bought other more expensive ones and found them to fail for one reason or another. I now actively look for these, they are great value for money and are not flimsy as one might assume.

Panasonic BK-4MCCE/4BE Eneloop Micro AAA 750 mAh Rechargeable Battery (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars They are the best batteries in the world, 9 Dec. 2016
What can I say. They are the best batteries in the world, I've never bought anything else since discovering these.
Eneloops use a newer technology to the usual NiMh batteries which allows them to keep their charge almost as well as Alkaline batteries.

You could for instance charge them up and know that when you need to use them they will have a full charge in them. I believe that in one year they will lose around 8% or so. With NiHh batteries they will leak much faster and so if you come to use them say after 3 months they will be flat.

As a photographer I found them incredibly useful because of the longevity an low leakage making it less time consuming and convenient to pre-charge my flashlight batteries well in advance and knowing I could just pop a couple of spare sets and they'd be ready to go.

I'm sure that many manufacturers have now adopted this technology but Panasonic were the first and I always found them to be great.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8