Profile for bilbo--baggins > Reviews

Content by bilbo--baggins

bilbo--baggins "bilbo--baggins" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
NETGEAR D7800-100UKS Nighthawk AC2600 Dual Band 11 AC (MU-MIMO Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, You View, Talk Talk, EE, Plusnet Fibre) (Amazon Echo Enabled)

2.0 out of 5 stars I would give this 5 stars - because it functions ..., 12 Feb. 2017
I would give this 5 stars - because it functions very well and the QOS has solved all of our issues with 'slow internet'. However, 10 months after purchase (into the theoretical 2 year warranty) a problem has arisen which I believe to be a hardware fault. Because netgear only provide 90 days complimentary support, there seems to be no way of getting it replaced without paying for telephone support. Amazon doesn't accept returns beyond a short period, which I think is 90 days too.

Certainly puts me off buying Netgear products in future.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 29, 2017 1:39 PM BST

Thrustmaster T300 RS Official Force Feedback wheel (PS4/PS3/PC DVD)
Thrustmaster T300 RS Official Force Feedback wheel (PS4/PS3/PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor support from driving games, 5 Jun. 2016
Seems like a good product, more solid than the Driving Force GT. However support is terrible. Need for Speed Most Wanted has no native support which means no force feedback and the controls aren't proper steering (ie turning mimics a button press) whereas the Driving Force GT works brilliantly. In Need for Speed 2015 there is no steering wheel support at all on the PS4.

Whereas the Driving Force GT used to get hours of use, the T300RS has been gathering dust. I can't think of any games that have come out since we bought it that have had PS4 support for this wheel, the manufacturers list doesn't seem to have changed at all.

Personal Effects: Dark Art
Personal Effects: Dark Art
by J C Hutchins

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, kept me wanting to know more, 12 Feb. 2014
I bought this after listening to the 7th Son Trilogy, but somehow never got around to reading it until now. The story is interesting, well written, unpredictable and unusual. It's one of those books that you feel is good enough to be made into a series of stories, but actually shouldn't because what makes it special is its uniqueness. I will certainly be looking out for other work by this author, top marks so far.

Veho VCC-A007-PBP Pebble 5000mAH Portable Battery Pack Charger for iPod, iPhone, Mobile Phones and PSP

1.0 out of 5 stars Good initially, but failed after 3 months., 1 July 2013
I found this really handy for charging my iPhone while out cycling. Unfortunately, after less than 4 months, and only being used once every week or 2, it has failed. It had worked fine, but now just keeps turning itself off and fails to charge the iPhone. I'll be looking for an alternative that's more reliable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2013 4:46 PM BST

HighPoint RocketU Dual USB 3.0 for Mac with 2 Ports PCI-Express 2.0 x1 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Card

1.0 out of 5 stars Kernel panic, 26 Jun. 2012
After the surprise of the 2012 Mac Pros still not including USB 3 I ordered this inexpensive card for my 2008 Mac Pro. I installed the card and downloaded the latest drivers, and connected my second generation Drobo S. After several minutes the volumes mounted, yet the Drobo didn't appear in Drobo Dashboard. Several minutes later there was a kernel panic - something my Mac Pro hasn't done for a very long time (if ever?). Definitely not recommended with the Drobo S - and for a USB 3 card to not work well with all devices I wouldn't recommend it at all.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 10, 2012 2:45 PM BST

Humax Foxsat HDR 500GB Freesat HD Digital TV Recorder (Requires Satellite Dish) (Old model)

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite disappointing, 23 Feb. 2012
When we bought this we were very pleased to start saving money that we had been spending on Sky. Sky wasn't perfect, but this product makes the Sky HD box seem highly intuitive and reliable. The software on the humax is awful, it took weeks to get used to using it, it has ongoing bugs, such as when a program is paused, the sound continues for a few seconds beyond the video stopping. Using the Humax reminds me of the awful experience of using smart phones before the iPhone was announced. Overall it serves it's purpose but I just wish there was something better.

WD My Book 2TB External Desktop Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)
WD My Book 2TB External Desktop Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't mount after restart, 30 Jun. 2011
The drive seemed fine, and good value for money, and I'd been happy with mybook external drives previously. Unfortunately I've found that each time I restart my computer (Mac Pro running OS X Snow Leopard) the drive doesn't mount. Unplugging it and plugging it in again solved the problem, but I didn't want to have to do this every time. I read about other people having the same problem in the Western Digital forum, and support staff weren't able to solve it. Therefore I'm returning this and I'll be trying an alternative.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2013 11:19 PM BST

Philips AVENT SCH550/20 Bath and Room Thermometer
Philips AVENT SCH550/20 Bath and Room Thermometer

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerously inaccurate, 3 Nov. 2008
We bought this product assuming that a digital thermometer by a well known brand would be extremely accurate. Our old bath thermometer that changed colour according to the temperature was becoming harder to read, but we'd always found it really easy to use - it had a +, - or a tick. We were surprised to find that when the new Avent thermometer was showing 37 deg C the old one would show a + (ie. too hot). We assumed that the old one just wasn't very accurate, and that we must have been making the bath too cold. When our boys (at the time one was 4 months, the other 2 years) complained that the water was too hot. It felt quite warm but we assumed it was because we'd been used to making the bath too cold. In the meantime we were quite annoyed that the Avent themometer had a tendency to flip upside down in the bath - so instead of glancing at it's small screen to read the temperature, we would have to periodically turn it over so the screen faced up, wait for it to register the bath temperature (because initially it was showing room temperature when upside down - the sensor was out of the water). Stupid design. Recently we got a newer themometer the was easier to read (Tigex Dolphin made with Rapeseed oil) and decided to compare the readings. We were shocked and concerned to discover that the Avent thermometer was giving false readings, approximately 3 deg C higher than the actual bath temperature. So when we had been making it 37 deg C, the water was actually just over 40 deg C - far too hot for a young baby. We feel terrible that we had trusted this awful product - even though the water felt quite warm we trusted that a digital thermometer would be a more accurate gauge of temperature than our perception of water temperature. To make matters worse - when I complained to Avent, they simply replied saying I should try returning it for an exchange or refund. They did not apologise, they did not request to investigate the fault, they didn't ask for the thermometer back to test and examine it. This I find utterly shocking. A company that makes what is essentially a baby safety product should take responsibility. OK, nobody can guarantee that a product isn't going to go wrong - but in a situation like this I'm just appalled by their lack of interest.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2011 5:43 PM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless if Amazon doesn't specify what this covers, 4 Aug. 2008
AppleCare is well worth having from what I've heard, but it's pointless Amazon selling this without specifying what Apple product it covers. When you take out AppleCare you need cover specific to the item you own, eg. MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPod, iMac etc. I'm sure that if Amazon updated the description, and listed AppleCare for each different product they would sell a heck of a lot more...

The Equalizer: Series 1 [DVD]
The Equalizer: Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars Waited a long time for this - Thank You, 22 April 2008
Amazing. Finally I have the first series of the Equalizer on DVD. Great quality. Finally I can get rid of those old VHS recordings from the TV and watch this amazing TV series in pristine DVD quality.

Page: 1 | 2