Profile for Enrique Ovidio Carro Rey > Reviews

Content by Enrique Ovidio...

Enrique Ovidio Carro Rey

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Standing At the Sky's Edge
Standing At the Sky's Edge

5.0 out of 5 stars Richard Hawley rocks!!! (literally), 18 May 2012
On Valentine's day, 2010, I was fortunate enough to watch the concert Mr. Hawley gave at my city, La Coruña, in Spain with my wife. I even met him afterwards, on the street, while he was packing, and I shook hands with the man. (One of the highlights of my life).

In that concert he was presenting Truelove's Gutter, and gave us also several classics. And in several songs he made blistering, noisy, brilliant guitar solos, that almost sent the roof of the venue skywards. Even in a gentle song like Remorse code.

That's why, perhaps, when I heard this Standing at the sky's edge, I wasn't as shocked as some other reviewers, I knew already what he could do if he wants to rock. And boy, does he rock here. Down in the woods is a classic rock and roll songs, uptempo, with guitar solos and a thrusting rhytm throughout.
Apart from the signature ballads (Seek it, Don't stare at the sun), sung with his deep, beautiful, soothing voice, the rest of the tracks are probably the fastest, noisiest, more sinister (the title track) song he has ever delivered.

Even more, he uses music genres he never visited before, like Psychedelic acid rock (She brings the sunlight) or indie rock (Time will bring you winter and Leave your body behind you remind me of several tracks of The Arctic Monkey's Humbug).

In conclusion, this is another masterpiece. Although it sounds very different to the rest of his discography so far, it's not that different in the end. It's perhaps noisier, but that doesn't mean it's worse.

Music for Pleasure
Music for Pleasure
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 8 April 2010
This review is from: Music for Pleasure (Audio CD)
I just recently (a month ago) came into the world of Joy Division, and of course loved it. I still have heard nothing from New Order, but somewhat surprisingly I've been a great admirer of "What do you want from me?" for years, since I first saw the video on the Spanish TV when it appeared (so, more than 10 years ago). That song is mesmerizing, strong, lively. The intro, with that bass suddenly thumping, and then the Sha-la-la bit are as uplifting as anything I have ever heard. So I bought the CD, and was very nicely surprised. This Music for pleasure is a great CD. All the songs are very good, and are very different one from another, so you never get tired of listening to it. We have here dance tunes (Junk, Sweet lips), nice slow tempo ballads (Blue, for instance), and songs that sound like Oasis (Buzz Gum). Even a follow-up to What do you want from me? (I mean Under the stars). All I can say is, after this, and Joy Division, I look forward anxiously to lay my hands on some New Order stuff.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2012 11:06 PM GMT

Truelove's Gutter
Truelove's Gutter

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 13 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Truelove's Gutter (Audio CD)
So, here we have at last the new album from Richard Hawley. His sixth CD, his sixth masterpiece. Astonishing.
This album reminds me of Late Night Final, they share the same spirit, but in Truelove's Gutter the instrumentation is richer, denser, with unusual instruments, but with a breathtaking result. These eight songs are beautiful, slow (only Open up your door a little more up tempo), and with great lyrics.
What this man accomplishes in every album (6 out of 6 brilliant masterpieces) is amazing. I dare to say that perhaps, with time, Mr. Hawley will be considered the natural heir of Van Morrison, probably not lyrically (Mr. Morrison is a poet), but certainly as a great multiinstrumentalist, and a superb musician. Both have created a sound world of their own, their voices are powerful and distinctive, and have already created albums that will remain in time.

The Passion of the Christ [DVD] [2004]
The Passion of the Christ [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ James Caviezel|Maia Morgenstern|Monica Bellucci

5.0 out of 5 stars A cinematic experience, 20 Nov. 2008
So, here's another review of one of the most controversial films ever. I'll begin saying that as a movie this is great but not perfect. The use of slow motion is not as accurate as in Braveheart (where it added an extra bit of tension before some key moments), some of the acting is not particularly good, and I didn't like the music. But James Caviezel is awesome (it's not acting, it's more like a living portrait) as the Christ, as well as the Devil. The reconstruction of the time in clothing, scenery, and so on, is excellent, and the use of latin and aramaic is bold, as well as effective. The blood and gore are one of the main problems for some people, but hey, what was to be expected? We all know that it was a brutal punishment, a gruesome torture inflicted on many occasions in innocent people, for sure (well, it happens today, doesn't it? Why not years ago?) Some negative reviewers say that they were disgusted with it and say that they don't see the point of depicting it. Well, that was the moment when I decided to write this review. You may or may not be a believer, but no-one in this world should deny that the death of this man in the cross (and that is well documented) was one of the turning points in History. In fact, our account of History is divided in Before Christ and After Christ. The moment when this man died, after terrible sufferings, even wondering why his father had abbandoned him, and then forgiving the men that inflicted such brutal torture on him, well, that should move everyone, no matter what your believes are. This was one of the cinematic experiences of my life, and took me to reflection and wonder some important questions, questions that perhaps wouldn't have been raised if I hadn't watched the movie, like the fate of Judas. I mean, if God knows it all, did He condemn one of His creations on purpose to fulfil His design? I read Paradise Lost, where there the fall of Man is depicted in a similar way. Was it all bound to be? Then Judas should raise as much pity as Jesus himself, since Judas is in Hell (in the ninth and deepest Circle of Dante's Inferno) suffering for what he did to send Jesus to the cross, and save us all. Do I like to believe in a God that condemns one man for all eternity to save the rest of His creations?.
I believe Jesus Christ was the Son of God, I was raised as a Catholic, and although there are lots of issues where I disagree with my church I guess I still can be considered a Catholic. But that has nothing to do with my review, like some of the criticism. Lots of people say that this is not the truth, but Mel Gibson's account of the facts. Well, OF COURSE!!! But since the money spent was his, he has all the right to make the film as he likes. The Lutheran church protested because the scenes with Mary can lead to Mariolatry. All right, then they should film their version, without these annoying scenes (Anyway, those are not precisely the best of the movie), and we all would have another version of the story. Come on, Jason Voorhess (Friday the 13th) has more than 10 films (many of them awful) dedicated to his person, so I'd say that one of the most important turning points in human history deserve as many as we can produce. Especially if they are this intense, this inspiring, even this painful.

The Night Sky
The Night Sky

5.0 out of 5 stars The best song by Keane?, 20 Oct. 2008
This review is from: The Night Sky (Audio CD)
The night sky is one of the most beautiful, sad but uplifting songs I've ever heard. Keane have surpassed themselves here. Tom Chaplin sings his heart out, giving all the pathos the lyrics need to make you cry (I actually did. And I was driving!! Almost crashed my car, I had to stop on one side of the road). I don't know if this song is the best Keane has made so far, but is certainly on their top 3.
Of the rest of this set, I must say that the cover is a great version (not easy when you're trying to sing like Freddie Mercury), and the mix is only for dance music fans. But The night sky makes this CD worth every penny.

Perfect Symmetry
Perfect Symmetry
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Let it grow on you, 16 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Perfect Symmetry (Audio CD)
I'm a great fan of Keane (thank you, T.C.Davies for your accurate comments on the subject. I saw them in concert in Portugal and it was astonishing. I'm very proud of being a Keane fan) and I must say the first time I heard this eagerly awaited CD, I felt a little bit disappointed. For the first time since Hopes and Fears, I found a couple of fillers here, mainly Again and again and Better than this. But the magic was also there, with astonishing tracks like The lovers are losing (The new Crystal ball), Black burning heart and specially Love is the end (sooooo beautiful!). After listening to it carefully, the rest of the songs have begun to grow on me (even Spiralling). I agree that the sounds of some tracks belong completely to the eighties, but I didn't know that was a bad thing. As for the similarities of the third track with Ashes to ashes, well, I don't care that much.
In the end, this is the one I like less of the three records Keane has made so far, but it is still a five-star CD, BY ALL MEANS!

Doctor Who - The Trial Of A Time Lord [1986] [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Trial Of A Time Lord [1986] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Colin Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 8 Oct. 2008
I didn't expect nothing good of this. The trial of a Time Lord has a very poor fame, and the idea I had so far was that this was a huge crap. Well, after watching it camly, I don't agree. OK, it is a flawed show: The mysterious planet is routinely done, Mindwarp improves greatly, but Brian Blessed is completely over the top, Terror of the Vervoids is highly watchable if you don't start making questions (err, from the future? And "edited"? COME ON!!), and The ultimate foe gave us one of the best stories for Ainley's Master but leaves lots of plot holes. After watching the making of each program, I must say the final result is surprisingly good, considering the amount of trouble the production team had to face.
Colin Baker is much more relaxed and mellow here than in the previous season, and I must say that he plays the "crazy Doctor" (in Mindwarp) ten times better than Tom Baker in The invasion of time, when I have to wait until the Production notes and commentary to realize he was simulating he was insane. The rest of the cast has very good acting (Nabil Shaban, Patrick Ryecart, Honor Blackman) and very bad (Joan Sims, Bonnie Langford)
The trial of a Time Lord is not the best Doctor Who story, not even the best of Colin Baker's tenure. But it has moments that are amongst the best of the original series (Nicola Bryant's departure, the initial shot, the cliffhanger from part 9 to 10, the cliffhanger from part 13 to 14...)

Vaughan Williams: Complete Symphonies, Tallis & Greensleeves Fantasias, Lark Ascending, Wasps Overture

5.0 out of 5 stars My first set of VW's symphonies, 28 Aug. 2008
I think this is the reissue of the set I have, comprising the nine symphonies, Job, The Lark ascending and the Tallis Fantasia, that I bought years ago, and that I still find astonishing. Andrew Davis and the BBC orchestra deliver superb performances of the works. The 2nd, 4th, 6th and 7th being my favourites of the set. The first, with T. Hampson and A. Roocroft singing, is also an excellent version, but I like that symphopny less than others. Tasmin Little gives a great Lark ascending, and Job is a very good version. At the price this is offered, you can't let this opportunity pass without buying it. It cost me more money years ago, when I bought it, but it was worth every penny. I bought afterwards the Boult/EMI set, but I prefer the Davis/BBC, for many reasons. Here you have the chance to discover why.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2012 11:05 AM BST

The Dance
The Dance

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer magic, 27 Aug. 2008
This review is from: The Dance (Audio CD)
The concert was amazing. This CD is a selection of the songs played there, and they show the band in perfect mood. Everything is a success, from the new songs (Bleed to love her especially, later released on Say you will) to reworkings of old hits (Buckingham's thrilling Big love). And some moments are simply magic (Landslide, Silver springs). The only fault here is the absence of Songbird, that closed the concert, and is one of the most moving performances I've ever seen. Anyway, The Dance is a great album, and one of the best live albums ever, like Who's next or It's too late to stop now.

The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
The Shakespeare Collection [DVD] [1978]
Dvd ~ Alan Rickman

5.0 out of 5 stars A must, obviously, 27 Aug. 2008
This set is a must. It's amazing that the BBC could accomplish this task with such success. The vast majority of the actors involved here give outstanding performances. I'd like to praise especially Derek Jacobi (wonderful Hamlet, astonishing Richard II, a play I didn't know before this), Michael Hordern (superb King Lear, really great Prospero in The Tempest), John Cleese (Surprising in The taming of the shrew), Ron Cook (malignant and subtle Richard III), David Gwillim (Prince Hal and Henry V), etc, etc. I was a little bit dissapointed with Nicol Williamson in Macbeth, but anyway, it's only my opinion and surely many people will find his performance not only accurate, but very good. The sets and costumes really suit the plays, with occasional strokes of genius (the sets for All's well that ends well reproduce from time to time famous paintings by Vermeer or Rembrandt). I recommend this to any theatre lover, especially those that, like me, like the classical way of set designing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5