Profile for R.E. Barton > Reviews

Content by R.E. Barton

R.E. Barton (Essex, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Stainless steel hanging shower shelf with 2 baskets, 2 hooks 22 x 16 x 59 cm
Stainless steel hanging shower shelf with 2 baskets, 2 hooks 22 x 16 x 59 cm
Offered by PureDay

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, 1 Jun. 2016
I bought this nearly 10 months ago and I thought it rather expensive. However, it's worth every penny - strong, well-made and best of all, no signs of rust after 10 months of daily use!

Dinner at Buckingham Palace
Dinner at Buckingham Palace

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 8 Feb. 2014
This is full of grammatical errors and typos. Some material is repeated and some recipes end in the middle of the cooking instructions. I found it so annoying to read that I only got 30% of the way through before sending it back for a refund. This is a great shame because it is potentially an extremely interesting subject, and if it were to be edited properly I would certainly buy it again.

A Shilling Cookery for the People
A Shilling Cookery for the People

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 18 Sept. 2012
I was so looking forward to this - only to find that the print is so incredibly small as to be totally unreadable. I know the price is very reasonable, but by anyone's standard it is a waste of money since it simply cannot be read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 5:15 AM BST

Tiger Lily: Flavours of the Orient
Tiger Lily: Flavours of the Orient
by Rani King

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 July 2012
I bought this book when it was first published in 1996 and I have used it very often since then. It's hard to pick out my favourites, but the Mint & Yoghurt Dip, Shrimp or Prawn Toasts, Fried 'Seaweed', and Hot Sour Soup spring immediately to mind. A very good oriental cookbook.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 17 Jun. 2012
This is a terrific book which I have read and re-read for many, many years. Everyone I have introduced it to has loved it as well. If you haven't read it, just wait until you meet Manager Smith, Water Face and the Puce (to name but a few)! You are in for a treat.....

The Wicked Wit of Charles Dickens
The Wicked Wit of Charles Dickens

4.0 out of 5 stars If only this were longer..., 15 Jun. 2012
This delightful book has only one fault - it's too short. But then, when you start with Charles Dickens, where do you stop? You could go on for ever. One of my very favourite sentences isn't included, and I can't resist giving it here: "A maid of honour of the court of Charles the Second, with large round eyes (and other charms to correspond),....." (from Bleak House). Never fails to make me smile! Anyway, I enjoyed this book - it reminded me of some things I had forgotten and even brought a new one to my attention. It would make a nice present for a Dickens fan.

Hypnoquit: How to break free of any addiction - for ever
Hypnoquit: How to break free of any addiction - for ever

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment - unable to access the CD, 13 Jun. 2012
I have given this only two stars because although it seems to be a very good product, the hardcopy book comes with a CD which is essential to the Hypnoquit programme. The Kindle version obviously does not come with this but I expected it to have a link where I could download the CD content to my iPod. Very disappointingly, there isn't a link and this makes the Kindle version useless. However, Amazon have refunded the price without question and I will use this to purchase the actual book complete with the essential CD.

31 Amazing Soup Recipes (The Soup Collection Book 4)
31 Amazing Soup Recipes (The Soup Collection Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks delicious, 12 Jun. 2012
I bought this book only yesterday and so have not had time to cook anything from it, but most of the recipes look truly delicious to me and I will certainly be trying them. I do like the way the author is enthusiastic about not wasting food and making the best use of leftovers, and also that most of the recipes are for 12 servings (easily halved if this is too much) so that some can be stored in the freezer. So thank you, Allen, for this book - I really enjoyed it.

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 2 Jun. 2012
Having been a fan of the wonderful Mary Renault for the past forty-odd years, I was doubtful about buying this book. I was so wrong - I loved it. Beautifully written, it held my attention from the first word to the very moving last paragraph. I am sorry I've finished it, I wanted it to go on for ever. Highly recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2012 6:26 PM BST

Jassy
Jassy

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 23 May 2012
This review is from: Jassy (Kindle Edition)
I was introduced to this book by my mother about 50 years ago when I was 14. It was then, and remains, one of my favourite books by my absolutely favourite author. The story is told in the first person by four different people, all with a different viewpoint of Jassy. Sadly, Jassy herself never tells her own story - although perhaps this is how it should be, she remains an enigma right through to the heartbreaking ending. If you read this (and I strongly recommend that you do) and remain unaffected by Jassy's fate - then you're not human!

Page: 1 | 2