Profile for GrayS > Reviews

Content by GrayS

GrayS

Revell Star Wars Millennium Falcon 03600 Gift Set - Model Kit with All 7 Paints, 13g Glue and 6 Paint Brushes

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly inaccurate, and not from episode VII either., 25 Jan. 2016
1. This is not the Millennium Falcon from episode VII The Force Awakens, but is the Falcon from episode IV A New Hope (only), as evidenced by the circular antenna and only three landing gear bays (not that any landing gear is supplied).
2. Highly inaccurate. Is a TOY, not a model. If you want an accurate model, go for the Bandai kit - it costs more, but is well worth the extra.
3. Quite small (not that that's a problem as-such, just be aware).

Harder & Steenbeck Tanzanite Infinity Double Action Airbrush
Harder & Steenbeck Tanzanite Infinity Double Action Airbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Airbrush to Last You a Lifetime., 29 Jan. 2014
Beautiful airbrush. Fantastic engineering. This is definitely not a toy! Easily as good, or possibly better, than any Iwata. But the description here doesn't mention what needle size. The Infinity Solo normally comes with the 0.15mm needle, which may be a bit small for some applications? Your mileage may vary. The 2-in-1 version comes with both the 0.15mm AND the 0.4mm needles. Also note this is NOT the "CR-Plus" version which has the Chrome-Nickel coating for extra long-term durability. Personally, I would pay the extra £10 and get the CR-Plus version if you can afford it, and go for the slightly more useful 0.2mm needle. Not cheap, but it will last you a lifetime.

Ocean of Dust
Ocean of Dust

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Good from a New Author, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Ocean of Dust (Kindle Edition)
As an adult reading a book aimed at a "Young Adult" audience, I thought this was a superb effort from a new author. It builds slowly at first, but by the time I was half-a-dozen chapters in, it had turned into a real "page-turner". I found myself actually wanting to get home from work just so I could read the next chapter or three of the continuing adventure. I have a 10 (almost 11, "going on 14") year-old grand-daughter, and I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this to anybody of that age. For the concerned parents out there, it's a rippping yarn of high advenure on the high seas (of dust!) that moves at a fast pace to keep the younger audience interested, and has nothing that could possibly offend even the most protective or overly-concerned of parents. I won't give away any plot-spoilers, but if you're into the sci-fi or fantasy genres then it is certainly worth giving this new author a chance. I was very pleasanty surprised, and will certainly be waiting anxiously for the further adventures of Lissa. The only reason this gets just four instead of five stars is actually that, personally, I think a book has to be of the "Absolute Classic" ilk (such as Tolkien, or Frank Herbert's original Dune Trilogy, or Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series) to earn that acolade. You won't be disappointed!

UFO: The Complete Book of Gerry Anderson's UFO
UFO: The Complete Book of Gerry Anderson's UFO
by Chris Bentley

2.0 out of 5 stars It Costs How Much?!?!?!, 6 July 2012
I don't doubt this is very likely a fantastic book. Previous reviwers have stated what it contains. I would just love to own a copy, being a massive UFO fan. But at the time of writing (July 2012), the cost is listed at £322 ! Yes, that is over THREE HUNDRED Quid!!! No way is any book worth that, so I'm sorry, but I will be avoiding this whilst its at that price - its plain extortion!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2017 3:48 PM GMT

Thunderbirds: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Thunderbirds: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Alan Patillo

1.0 out of 5 stars Bowdlerised!, 8 May 2012
As has been stated many, many times in these reviews. DO NOT BUY this version unless you don't care about what you watch. This has been bowdlerised, butchered, and chopped from the original 4:3 to fit a 16:9 screen. No real reason given that holds any water, just "they don't care" basically. I will be sticking with my DVDs until somebody who actually cares about the series re-does it properly. Most Blu-ray players will upscale anyway, which is almost as good as native 1080p Blu-ray, and will do for me until I can eventually get a 4:3 Blu-ray version.

Lost in Translation [Blu-ray] [2003] [US Import]
Lost in Translation [Blu-ray] [2003] [US Import]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars A mood piece, not a comedy, 3 Nov. 2010
The first time I watched this movie, I "kind-of" liked it, thought it was quirky, interesting, slyly humourous, and very slightly depressing. Then I left it for a while. Then I came back, and watched it again. And I liked it more. And I kept coming back. It has crept up on me slowly, and is now one of my favourite movies ever.

It isn't a "laugh out loud" joke-fest, like most of the negative reviewers seem to want. It's a (platonic) love story with a realistic ending, not the "happy ending" that (again) many of the negative reviews seem to want. True, the script is sparse, but that because it's a mood-piece more than a story. In a similar feel to the superb "Paris, Texas" by Wim Wenders, I can otherwise think of nothing else that gives one the same warm feeling of... what exactly? Nostalgia (for something that never was)?

Regardless, come to this with an open mind, and an open heart, and you will be rewarded with one of the best movies for years.

Probably more accessible to the more emotionally mature audience, rather than the younger "big action" teenagers who only want big thrills and big laughs. It has neither. Instead it was a slowly building tension and attraction, both between the main characters, and for the audience. Something to watch to warm the heart and calm the jangling nerves.

The Flight of the Condor [VHS]
The Flight of the Condor [VHS]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars The usual question - why no DVD or Blu-ray?, 17 Aug. 2009
It's been so many years, I have completely lost faith in the BBC ever re-releasing this fantasic experience on either DVD or Blu-Ray (if it was originally filmed on FILM, then a high-quality Blu-Ray transfer would be easily possible).

This is one of the best BBC nature documentaries ever made. Easily on a par with the original "Life on Earth" et al. See it any way you can (I'm still watching my copy, taped live from the TV when it was originally broadcast in 1980-something)!

I do not believe posting on Amazon will affect anything however. The BBC don't care about what we say here. To attempt to get the BBC to release anything "out of the ordinary" you need to get a full campaign of e-mails going - direct to the BBC themselves! Example: Witness how many, many years, and how much campaigning, it took before the complete "Blake's 7" was finally released on VHS, let alone on DVD, eventually. To the best of my knowledge, that show has NEVER been repeated by the BBC, ever.

But I digress, pester the BBC directly if you want to see this on DVD or Blu-ray, but don't hold your breath. So I repeat myself - see this any way you can! You won't regret it. Marvellous.

EDIT:
The current copyright holder is the BBC Natural History Unit, c/o BBC Motion Gallery, Room E251 Woodlands, 80 Wood Lane, London, W12 0TT, +44 (0) 20 8433 2861; email: motiongallery dot uk at bbc dot co dot uk. Write, phone, email, pester, pester, pester if you want to see this on DVD or Blu-Ray!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2009 10:34 PM GMT

Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery (Voices That Matter)
by Garr Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for presenters, 14 Nov. 2008
Bought this on "spec", and found it extremely useful. Written in a light and easy manner, never preachy, yet supplying valuable concepts and rules for all presentations.

Should be required readings for anybody wanting to create a powerpoint presentation, as there are soooo many bad PP's out there.

Only looses five full stars because it relies a lot on asking you to use stock photographs from sites such as iStockPhoto, that need a subscription - which few can afford.

Enermax KEYBOARD AURORA GER ULTRAFLAT - Black
Enermax KEYBOARD AURORA GER ULTRAFLAT - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars GERMAN LAYOUT - AVOID, 22 Dec. 2007
As a UK customer, ordering from a UK address, I obviously expected to receieve a UK keyboard. I did not! I received a GERMAN layout/language keyboard. This is NOT made clear in the amazon listing, so unless you are a native german speaker, avoid this seller at all costs.