Profile for Mrs. A. Hurst > Reviews

Content by Mrs. A. Hurst

Mrs. A. Hurst (Bucks, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Decofun, In the Night Garden Wall Sticker Stikarounds
Decofun, In the Night Garden Wall Sticker Stikarounds

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty useless, 19 Nov. 2010
"Transform a room in minutes" - yup, then have to do it all again a few hours later!

Lovely stickers with one big downside. They don't stick for very long! After peeling them off the backing (an infuriatingly fiddly task in itself), you stick them on the wall and walk away thinking "Oooh, that looks nice". But then the next time you pass them, they are starting to peel off, so you stick them back on. Then the next time you pass, they are peeling off again...

These have the potential to be a lovely item - but don't quite make it. I think the "stickability factor" needs a re-think - a selling point is that they are "repositionable" but it's just marketing jargon for "not very sticky"!

Also, the stickers come on two big folded backing strips and, where there are folds, the stickers come away slightly from the backing, which seems to damage the sticky side and so shows on the stickers even when it is peeled off the backing, so making them even less sticky!

Sorry but a waste of money.

Blindness
Blindness
by Jose Saramago

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much like hard work - I give up!, 13 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Blindness (Paperback)
I can't remember why I bought this book since it is not the sort of book I usually read (anything that wins awards is often completely incomprehensible to "ordinary" mortals like me) but I think it had something to do with reading in a magazine that it was someone's favourite book of all time. Neither can I remember who that someone was - other than it was someone that I admired - but, having got to page 204 and lost the will to live, I can only assume that they haven't read many books if this is the best they can come up with.

Honestly, it's given me a headache reading this. The lack of punctuation (not complete but enough to be frustrating), the sentences that go on and on and on, conversations where you have to work out who is saying what. Frankly, it is all too much like hard work.

Having a small child, I don't read as much as I used to and have a permanent reading backlog of months so I am really quite cross that I wasted so much time trying to get to grips with this book. Yes, I understand that it is a parable exploring the fragility of human civilisation and society - blah, blah - and that much of it may be either metaphorical or allegorical (or possibly both!) but it just left me completely cold and really quite irritated.

Sorry, by all means call me a Philistine, but I don't get what all the fuss is about. Really, if you want a good book about the collapse of society then read Stephen King's The Stand and give this one a miss.

Perhaps something was lost in the translation from Portuguese..? But I doubt it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 22, 2012 2:30 PM BST

Melissa & Doug 14940 Abby and Emma Magnetic Wooden Dress-Up Dolls
Melissa & Doug 14940 Abby and Emma Magnetic Wooden Dress-Up Dolls

4.0 out of 5 stars *Almost* perfect - just one minor quibble!, 2 Sept. 2010
I bought this for my daughter for her fourth birthday and she loves it. It is a beautifully made item of extremely good quality (hence it is quite heavy) with two wooden doll shapes (with underwear already on!) that come with little stands and a load of magnetised items of clothing that you stick on, including little shoes, all presented in a very smart wooden compartmentalised tray. It provides hours of entertainment for little girls.

Oh, and it smells lovely - wonderful clean wood smell. I know that sounds a bit perverse but it's true!

However, the only fault I can find with this item comes when it needs to be put away. There's no lid! Only a small plastic cover that rests over the middle section containing all the clothes (and even that doesn't fit on securely but literally just "rests" on top). Whoever designed the packaging for this clearly doesn't have children! Small pieces get lost sooooo easily with little ones and I honestly cannot believe that anyone thought it sensible to make a toy like this without a secure lid. It needs a proper hinged lid, and then this toy really would be absolutely perfect.

If it wasn't for the lack of lid, I would absolutely not hesitate to give this five stars.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2016 11:52 AM GMT

Melissa And Doug Pink Jumbo Colouring Pad
Melissa And Doug Pink Jumbo Colouring Pad
Offered by Premier Life Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best colouring book ever!, 15 Aug. 2010
A fantastic colouring book! Here's why: it's bigger than normal (A4 + another inch or so all the way around); it's not really a book but a tear-out pad so, rather than having a colouring book with every page started and then abandoned (is it just me who finds this a waste?), you can ask your child to choose a picture, tear it out and then put the rest of the pad away (also great if more than one child wants the same book at the same time!); the paper is white bond paper, so excellent quality - a child would be hard-pushed to scratch through it and it holds paint well; the pictures are just perfect for my daughter (aged 4) as they are neither too simple nor too fiddly. Finally, although this is designed for girls, is not not all princesses and horses, there are lots of wild animal and sea life pictures which are great for boys too. Last week, I had my daughter, my step-children (boy of 12 and girl of 14) and one of their friends (aged 14) all sitting at the dining table, all colouring, painting and sticking the picture of their choice. Peace and quiet for a good hour or so! Highly recommended!

ToonStar Hitmen Men's T-Shirt Charcoal Grey Size XL
ToonStar Hitmen Men's T-Shirt Charcoal Grey Size XL

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic t-shirt at a good price, 10 Feb. 2010
I bought this for my husband and I have to prise it off him to wash it! Whenever he wears it, people ask about it and where he got it. It's a good quality t-shirt with a great little graphic that people look at at, frown for a few seconds and then go "Oh, I know who they are now!". And considering the outrageous price that can be charged for decent t-shirts these days, the price of this was very reasonable too. Great item.

Vogue International Princess Storage Seat Box
Vogue International Princess Storage Seat Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and practical storage box, 10 Feb. 2010
I bought this item with some trepidation - I actually wanted it for storage (for storing my daughter's Disney Princess dressing-up things) but seriously doubted the "seat" bit of description, expecting it be a fairly flimsy affair. How wrong I was! It has become a useful addition to my daughter's bedroom. Yes, we keep things in it but it is also used as a seat while I put her shoes and socks on or brush her hair. Very useful item - I'd buy another one if I had anywhere to put it. Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky bag at a funky price!, 10 Feb. 2010
My sister-in-law arrived from Australia last week, bringing with her a black sequinned bag. I took one look and decided that I had to have one too! Surfed and surfed the net trying to find one that I liked and couldn't and, as a last resort, thought "I'll just have a quick look on Amazon" (nothing wrong with Amazon, just not the first place I look for handbags). Found this one and was doubtful about the price as, having a small child, my handbags tend to get bashed about and the cheaper ones never last long. But thought I'd give it a try and ordered it. And loved it! Haven't had it long, so can't really comment on its longevity, but it is a lovely bag for the money and I am really pleased with it. It is big enough for all my stuff and looks sturdy enough to last a while. Sequins are the big ones and seem to be well attached (time will tell) and delivery from the supplier was super-fast. My only further comment would be - why can't this be made of leather? Would happily pay more for handbag like this if it was made of leather but I guess this is meant to be a "fashion" item and therefore have a limited life. Finally - and best of all - my sister-in-law prefers my new bag to hers! :-)

The Day I Died
The Day I Died
by Polly Courtney

1.0 out of 5 stars Predictable and unrealistic tedium, 18 Oct. 2009
This review is from: The Day I Died (Paperback)
Surprised I stuck this out to the end. It took me weeks to read (and a book I am enjoying can be finished in hours, so that gives you some idea of how much I liked it). This "back of the book" stuff sounded promising but there weren't really any "shocking" secrets (if you want shocking read Monster Love by Carol Topolski), just humdrum every-day boring ones. And the story was neither dark nor disturbing, just very very irritating and laughably unrealistic. The central character is deeply unlikeable, in either of her alternate lives, and you could see how it was all going to end by about halfway through the book. I just didn't CARE what happened to Jo/Rebecca and, to be honest, I wished she'd been killed off by the bomb on Page 1 and given us all a break. Really don't bother with this - there are so many books worth reading out there and this ain't one of them!

Grendha Baby Girls Sweet
Grendha Baby Girls Sweet

5.0 out of 5 stars Great hard-wearing sandals for an active toddler, 6 July 2009
This review is from: Grendha Baby Girls Sweet (Shoes)
Bought a pair of these on a whim as I'd bought a pair of Grendha flip-flops for myself and noticed they did sandals for tinies. My almost-three year old daughter hasn't taken them off since they arrived. As new, they didn't give her blisters or make her feet sore and they have the added usefulness of being able to be worn to go paddling (or, as we did, in the communal showers at a vaguely grubby camping site). And all for a bargain price. Highly recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for al fresco drinking!, 6 July 2009
I ordered a couple of these for a camping weekend, on the basis that my husband wouldn't fit his beer into the acrylic wine glasses I had bought. They arrived the next day and we went off camping (with 34 of our closest friends to Billing Aquadrome, in case you're interested). Suffice to say that there were small scuffles amongst the boys to be the ones to use these glasses - they are big enough for the large cans of beer and also easily accommodate a bottle of cider with loads of ice. Great for long cold drinks, alcoholic or otherwise. Also, the kids discovered, great to build knickerbocker glory-type desserts in! Highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3