Profile for J. Walker > Reviews

Content by J. Walker

J. Walker (Yorkshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Galaxy S7 Edge Case / Wallet. Premium USA Tan Leather Wallet Case for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge by TORRO
Offered by TORRO Cases

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by frigile plastic., 6 May 2017
Bought this July 2016 and I must say the quality of the leather is exceptional, Fits well and looks good. But unfortunately the case is let down like so many others of this type by the plastic that you clip your phone in to. I recently dropped my phone (Not particularly hard) and the corner broke off the plastic case rendering the whole case unusable. I do feel it is about time case manufacturers started to use something other than this flimsy plastic to hold your phone they should use something that is more impact resistant, after all the cases are supposed to protect the phone from such accidents and not break in the process. That said it is one of the better cases that I have used and I have ordered another to replace my last one even though it was less than a year old.

100 Meter Reel / Drum 2 Pair 4 Core White Indoor BT Telephone Cable
100 Meter Reel / Drum 2 Pair 4 Core White Indoor BT Telephone Cable
Offered by ElectricalWorld

2.0 out of 5 stars That said it is not a bad price for 100m of CCA wire and as I ..., 5 Mar. 2017
The product description for this wire is a bit misleading, It is advertised as, (according to the attached data table) as "Tined COPPER" this would imply that the cable is solid copper with a tin (Or solder) coating, when the wire is in fact Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) as can be seen from the label on the wire that I received. Sellers really should state in the title of the product whether it is solid copper or CCA as this has a major impact on the quality and the price of the product. That said it is not a bad price for 100m of CCA wire and as I no longer plan to run my BROADBAND over it (I have now split the phone signal from my Data signal at the master socket) I don't think I will go through the hassle of returning it.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bonsaii EverShred C149-D 12-Sheet Micro-cut Paper Shredder, Overload and Thermal Protection, 60 Mintues Continuous Running Time, Draw-out 6 Gallon Wastebasket Capacity, Easy to Move with 4 Casters
Offered by Treasure Nova

5.0 out of 5 stars This has got to be the best shredder I have ever had, 27 May 2016
This has got to be the best shredder I have ever had, admittedly it was more expensive than my previous shredders but it was well worth it. I would recommend getting the micro-cut over any other type as the shredded paper "Compacts" more thus accommodating more shredding before it needs emptying.

I have only ever overloaded this machine once (And that was my fault, put way more paper in than I should have in one go) the machine automatically went in to reverse as soon as it detected the overload preventing any major problems.

It is a "Powerhouse" of a shredder it just shreds and shreds, I have continually used it till its bin was full and it never once overheated or shut down.

My only slight niggle is that I use bin bags to collect the shredded paper and the paper bin has a couple of bits of plastic that stick out inside the bin (I think one is part of the safety cut off when the bin is removed) and these have a tendency to rip the plastic bags when removing them. As the shredder was not designed for these bin bags you cannot blame the shredder for that.

If you want a decent shredder this is the one to get.

Added two photos, One shows the paper cut size and one shows the plastic projections inside the collector bin.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Seagate Desktop ST3000DM001 internal hard drive 3TB (8.9 cm (3.5 inch), 7200rpm, 64MB cache, SATA III)
Offered by MemoryC

1.0 out of 5 stars CERTIFIED REPAIRED HDD., 1 April 2015
Just purchased this drive, received it very quickly it came in a sealed anti-static bag which in turn was inside a bubble wrap bag all packed in a small cardboard box. On receiving the drive I partitioned it to GPT and formatted it to NTFS copied over all my files from a 500gb drive all went well and the drive is working fine but it took some time to do. Now this is the point that I discover the problem. When I go to swap the drives over I noticed the label on the NEW dive that I received and it read.

CERTIFIED REPAIRED HDD.

Nowhere in the description does it say it is a faulty HDD that has been repaired and there is no way of knowing how reliable or how long the drive was used BEFORE it was repaired. If I had known it was a repaired drive I would not have purchased it.

*UPDATE* Just checked the date code 13181 This equates to 02-11-2012 (Over 2 years old), Just requested a refund.
*UPDATE 2* Please note the supplier of this disk was "InvisibleMedia".
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2017 5:28 PM GMT

Akasa AK-HDA-03 2.5-3.5-Inch SSD/HDD Adapter
Akasa AK-HDA-03 2.5-3.5-Inch SSD/HDD Adapter

2.0 out of 5 stars I am sure this adapter would be fine for the average side mounted hard drive install but ..., 5 Feb. 2015
I am sure this adapter would be fine for the average side mounted hard drive install but unfortunately the design of my tower (Cooler Master Cosmos) requires that the drives are mounted from the bottom and not the side, This adapter has no way of doing this so for me it is completely useless.

It would help is this was stated in the description but I must say Akasa are not the only manufacturers that do this.

Colour Save - Remanufactured HP 305A Toner Cartridge Multipack CE410X/1A/2A/3A, HP CE410X CE411A CE412A CE413A compatible laser toner print cartridges 305A / 305X (Black - HIGH CAPACITY, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta) for printers HP LaserJet Pro 400 Colour M421dn, M451dw, M451nw; HP LaserJet Pro 400 Colour MFP M475dn, M475dw; HP LaserJet Pro 300 Colour M351a; HP LaserJet Pro 300 Colour MFP M375nw

1.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Of A Lottery., 2 Feb. 2015
Installed Magenta on 2-2-2014 and Black on 26-4-2014 Up until now everything has been fine but over the last week I have started to get a solid Magenta line at the side of my printouts on checking the cartridge it would appear toner is leaking out from the left hand side (Where the electronic chip is fitted). This is usually due to poor re-manufacture process or just re-filling old cartages without overhauling the cartridge itself.

Therefore these toners are a bit of a lottery, When they work, they work very well and at a decent price BUT whether they will start leaking or not is the gamble you take, I have only fitted two of the four cartages up to now and I have had a 50% failure/success rate (Depending on your point of view). I would have put this down to a one off situation but it would appear several others have had the same problem, Therefore I will not be purchasing from this manufacturer again.

**UPDATE**
Fitted the BLACK on 26th April 2014 and I am getting small black lines all over my printouts.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 31 Dec. 2014
£94 for a SATA cable?? Are you kidding me.

Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Motherboard (Socket 1150, Z87 Express, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, Haswell, Supports 4thGeneration IntelCore Processors, GIGABYTE UEFI Dual BIOS)

2.0 out of 5 stars I so much wanted to like this board, 17 Feb. 2014
Initially bought this board as I have used gigabyte before and they were excellent boards ..... BUT

The first board I received worked fine to start with, easy to install, lots of overclocking features digital display of POST codes dual bios the list goes on. I set it up to use a portion of my SSD drive as a cache for my HDD (Another good feature of this board). After a couple of hours installing windows and all my programmes etc. I left it doing a large download while I had my tea and when I came back it was running through CHKDSK which found some errors and tried to fix them, But when I re-booted "No boot drive detected"
So thinking that CHKDSK may have messed my boot drive up some how I re-installed just to my HDD (No Cache). This worked fine for a couple of days then my HDD & SSD stopped been detected. This got gradually worse until I could no longer detect them at all so I RMAed the board. Amazon were excellent on this I requested an RMA on the Friday new board and the old one picked up on the following Monday. I re built my system and seems to work fine now but noticed my SSD is no longer been detected so I tried it on another system and it is no longer detected on that one (It was working fine before I had the problems). So it would appear to me that the first board has somehow killed my SSD (Or it is one hell of a coincidence.

The other problem I had with the first board was that the on-board LAN would keep dropping connections when set to auto or 1Gbps connection speeds (Note the same cables and network equipment worked fine on my old board and so do all my other PCs connected to my network). I fitted a 1Gbps NIC and that to had problems.

The second board has the same problems with the on-board NIC as before but this time when I fitted a stand alone NIC I managed to get the 1Gbps connection with no problems.

in conclusion.

This is a nice board with a LOT of features for the money.

The INTEL based LAN on this board would appear to have problems (Funnily enough in the BIOS other than AUTO the maximum you can set this LAN speed to is 100mbps full duplex ).

As for the HDD issues its hard to say my first board was obviously faulty time will tell for the second board up to now it appears to be working fine , Did the first board kill my SSD ?? again hard to tell, In a way yes, The constant unplugging and re-plugging the SATA connectors to get it to work may in itself have damaged the SSD then again it may have been the board. All I know is that my SSD was working before I fitted this board (And for a short while after) but it isn't working now.

*** UPDATE *** 2/04/2014
The second board has been working fine up to now (Apart from the on-board LAN in 1gb mode but I now use a NIC card with no problems).
I have just had to dismantle the board to fit a Corsair H100i liquid cooler and after re-assembling the system It will no longer detect my two hard drives, It will however detect the OCZ SSD (The replacement for my damaged SSD mentioned earlier, OCZ replaced my old SSD for a newer Vertex 460).

I have tried my HDD in another PC and it works fine,

Conclusion it would appear this board may have problems with the SATA controller in some way (Note both drives are SATA II Samsung drives)

HP LaserJet Pro 400 M451dn - printer - colour - laser
HP LaserJet Pro 400 M451dn - printer - colour - laser

4.0 out of 5 stars Excelent Printer, Poor Pricing Policy, 7 Oct. 2013
This printer does everything you ask of it and it does it well, The only problem is the toner Cartridge's. The printer comes with "introductory" toner Cartridge's that hold a lot less than standard ones and a full set of standard ones will cost more than the printer.

This is purely a marketing ploy as they expect to make their money on replacement toner at what I think is an inflated price. I would like to know the difference in manufacturing costs between introductory and standard toner, I would bet it isn't much.

That said a lot of manufacturers do the same and the one thing that this printer does that many others don't is it will carry on printing until the toner is empty not when the little chip that they have fitted THINKS it is empty.

As for the printer it is easy to set up has network and USB compatibility and you can print to it from mobile devices using HP eprint. Had mine seven months now and the black has just about run out (Well the chip thinks it has but it is still printing) and I have not had one single paper jam using plain & glossy paper as well as card and envelopes.

Overall a very good printer.

PS. note the introductory toners are not just standard cartridge's filled with less toner they physically have less capacity.

***Update***
It is now December 2013 and although the toner is showing empty and keeps reminding me every 50 pages it is still going strong, I must have printed over 200+ pages since the "Chip" told me the black was empty.

but other than that not had any problems and has handled everything I have thrown at it with no problems.

James Products Ultrasonic 7000 Jewellery, Spectacle, CD/DVD, Coins, Personal Care Cleaner

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 2 Sept. 2013
I bought this to clean some carburettor parts on my motorbike and it did a fairly good job but was unable to remove a blockage in the pilot jets, To be fair they were pretty badly blocked and I even had trouble unblocking them with a piece of wire.

I did find that when it came to changing the water if you empty it via the front (As suggested in the instructions and a cut out is provided for this)the water enters the control panel at the front and the machine will no longer work properly until you leave it do dry out. (I thought mine was faulty and was about to send it back but thought I would try it again the next day and it worked).

So would I recommend it? Yes I would it did what I expected it to just be aware If you need something with a bit more power you will have to pay for it and the build quality as far as water ingress is concerned it not that fantastic but workable.

Page: 1 | 2