Profile for Dennis the Menace > Reviews

Content by Dennis the Menace

Dennis the Menace

Oregon Scientific BAR208HG Wireless Weather Station with Humidity and Weather Alert

5.0 out of 5 stars Weather Station, 18 Mar. 2011
My family bought for me one of this company's all singing all dancing weather stations as a present from them all. It was a failure with me because of my limited ability to learn how to use the software. so I sent it back and bought the model under review.
It was simple to set up requiring a couple of batteries (unlike the other product that required 14!) and was working within a couple of minutes given that I had a place for the outside temperature gadget installed.
The most important reading for me is the outside temperature shown in big figures and it does that perfectly. There are other readings for humidity and indoor temperatures and weather alert (see more below) but I have not bothered with the latter as I usually know what's coming from BBC weather info.
It also has a light but I found that of limited use. The moon phase is accurate but as I write the rain is tumbling down yet the weather indicator is showing over the next 24 hours that it is going to be sunny. That is in line with the BBC forecast. Finally there is an 'ice alert' but there hasn't been any to prove it works as yet.
I would recommend this product if all you want is something simple and reliable.
PS I forgot to mention the ubiquitous clock that every product seems to have.

Draper 72855 3.6-Volt Cordless Palm Screwdriver Kit  (Old Version)
Draper 72855 3.6-Volt Cordless Palm Screwdriver Kit (Old Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cordless screwdriver, 18 Mar. 2011
I have many types and sizes of hand operated screwdrivers that after prolonged use are very tiring to the wrists.
This device takes out all the hard work and once you have mastered its simple use is a joy to use.
I have docked one star though because the toggle start switch in 'drive-in' position was hard for me to hold in. Much easier was the other end of the switch for removing a screw.
It comes with its own case so it is easy not to lose any of the comprehensive choice of bits that come with the set. There is also a charger and clear instructions on its use. For the money it's a winner.

Silverline 633751 Dowel Pins 6 x 30 mm - Pack of 200
Silverline 633751 Dowel Pins 6 x 30 mm - Pack of 200

5.0 out of 5 stars Dowels, 18 Mar. 2011
Not much you can say about such a small product except that they are well made and have axial grooves milled into them to allow trapped glue to escape. They work!

Wolfcraft 273000 Dowel Drills (Pack of 3) for wood - Ý 6, 8, 10 mm
Wolfcraft 273000 Dowel Drills (Pack of 3) for wood - Ý 6, 8, 10 mm

3.0 out of 5 stars Dowel drills, 18 Mar. 2011
Elsewhere you can read a review of a dowel jig I used in conjuction with one of this set of drills. I did poorly with it but once I had made my own jigs that I could clamp to the joint I had no trouble using this dowel drill.
One other point, each drill comes with a collar that is used as a depth gauge when drilling. It is held in position with a grub screw. In my case it was unsuccessful as the helix of the drill was a poor surface to bed the grub screw on and kept shifting. Better to use masking tape.

Wolfcraft 4640000 Dowel Master - 6, 8 and 10 mm dowel pins
Wolfcraft 4640000 Dowel Master - 6, 8 and 10 mm dowel pins

1.0 out of 5 stars Dowel jig holder, 18 Mar. 2011
I have never used one of these devices before and spent an entire afternoon working out how to use it. Eventually I thought I had cracked it, set up a trial piece of timber, applied the jig to a marked point with one hand and with the other applied my electric drill to the hole in the jig with care.
It was not enough though as once the drill (bought specially for the job) touched the wood, it jerked the jig almost out of my hand.
I stopped immediately, abandoned the jig and within an hour made myself a couple of matching jigs with three holes for the joint in question. I was able to clamp these in position and drill in safety.
I could be at fault with this product because of my lack of familiarity with it but it was not intuitive enough for me to risk a sprained wrist by trying again.

GLASS/WINDOW SUCTION BIRD FEEDER- ROOF/FAT BALL HOLDERS
GLASS/WINDOW SUCTION BIRD FEEDER- ROOF/FAT BALL HOLDERS
Offered by Blue-Fish

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely product but shunned, 18 Mar. 2011
I'm very proud of my window-mounted bird feeder but the trouble is that over the last 6 weeks not one bird has been near it, which is a bit humbling really.
There are reasons for this - the feeder is not in the birds' normal flying pattern and because of magpies and seagulls, there are not many around.
Also I live in an'upside down' house so our living rooms are high up off the ground.
I've been told not to give up though as they will find the feeder eventually but not until next winter perhaps when food gets short again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 12, 2013 3:03 PM BST

Draper 53120 Carpenters' Workbench (1-Drawer)  (Old Version)
Draper 53120 Carpenters' Workbench (1-Drawer) (Old Version)

3.0 out of 5 stars Draper 53120 Carpenters' Workbench, 14 Feb. 2011
I write this review with a background of teaching boys craft subjects in schools.
This a well presented product and arrives in flatpack form. If you need such a bench you will have sufficient experience to assemble it without any trouble as instructions are straight forward.
The basic problem with the product is that it is not stable enough for serious work.
Remedies:1. glue all joints as you assemble (Do a trial run first).
2. Make and fit 3 bracing struts to back and side legs.
3. If you don't mind it in a fixed position, use brackets to screw it to a wall permanently.
The two vices 'gape' when holding work at one end of the jaws. Solution: put a similar piece of wood at the other end of the jaws to keep it parallel.
Otherwise it is a good product for the price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2011 4:36 PM BST