Profile for Tim Williams > Reviews

Seagate 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
Seagate 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive
Offered by elevenfirst

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard drive transplant, 18 Jan. 2013
I needed a hard drive to replace a failing one in my DELL Dimension 3100 desktop. When I investigated the specifications, some hard drives were not recommended as primary drives so I settled on this one, the 1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda. For £54.55 my computer is transformed. The old 160GB one is now in the bin and a shiny new 1TB one is in the computer bay. The drive arrived very quickly, 2 days earlier than promised. The drive is half the thickness of the old one, but fits in securely. Following online instructions, I re-enstalled Windows from a CD, which was long-winded but without any problems (unlike my efforts to re-enstall on the old drive). The computer is now really fast for a small outlay. I previously increased the RAM to a maximum 2GB which is also a cheap upgrade to increase performance. After the hard drive installation, I checked out all the systems of the computer using the excellent (and free online) Belarc Advisor and everything is fine. I am really pleased to have rescued a computer which was destined for the skip and can continue using my trusted and familiar operating system, Windows XP3 Professional, without reprogramming my brain for the dreaded Windows 8 on a new desktop.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 15, 2013 12:42 AM GMT