Profile for Kevin > Reviews

Anself LCD Digital Kitchen Cooking Countdown Timer Alarm Count Down Timer
Offered by Beauty House-UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Very good paperweight, but not a good timer., 13 April 2016
Length:: 3:27 Mins

For something so cheap and available for quick delivery if you're a Prime member, I decided to buy this for same day delivery. Amazon themselves didn't disappoint and by 8pm the same day I received it. However mine didn't work properly. Despite the packaging you get with it, it DOES NOT come with a battery. You need to use your own (AAA type) but when I put my battery in, the alarm sounded 3 times then the display died, and the unit was unresponsive. No, the battery was not flat, it was a rechargeable ReCyko battery rated at 800mAh which was fully charged. But anyway I tried other batteries as well. My home cordless phone uses 2 x AAA batteries so I tried those in this timer, and same thing. Alarm sounds 3 times then the unit just dies. As it's so cheap it would cost me more to get the boxes and postage price to return it so I'm not going to bother so this is going to be nothing more than a paperweight now.

I even went out of my way and bought some wire and a 2 x AA battery holder from Maplins. Placing a wire piece at each contact in the battery holder for just 1 battery, I put in 1 x 2900mAh AA battery but nope, same thing. 3 beeps and died. So don't buy this. See attached video.

I instead went to Argos and bought a £15 dual timer instead. That works a treat. Just, you know, be aware of cheap Chinese imports.

Hama USB 2.0 Hub 1:4 Black, Bus-powered
Hama USB 2.0 Hub 1:4 Black, Bus-powered

3.0 out of 5 stars Good little hub, but there are better out there., 23 Sept. 2014
This is a decent enough USB hub. But as it's unpowered (ie it takes it's power from the USB 5V rail rather than an external power supply) don't expect to be able to plug too many devices to it. A regular mouse and keyboard should be ok, but I encountered problems with this USB hub in that it would lose power if I had plugged in a keyboard, mouse and high-capacity USB drive. This would then cause all devices attached to it "malfunction" in Windows. The only cure would be to unplug the USB hub for a couple of seconds, then plug it back in.

A handy addition to a laptop with limited USB ports but it's best to only plug a generic keyboard and mouse to it, nothing demanding. If you're looking to expand the number of USB ports on your desktop computer though, it would be better to get a powered USB hub, or even better buy a USB expansion card so it's constantly powered by your own computer's power supply unit.

Good in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent expansion for high-demand devices.

Sades SA-902 7.1 Surround Sound Cobra Gaming Heaset Headphones with Mic and Remote for PC Laptop (Black & Red)
Offered by Eu-Hub

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent audio quality for cheap headphones, shame it's USB and not 3.5mm audio jack., 23 Sept. 2014
To be honest I wasn't expecting much out of these due to their very cheap price but the picture and price doesn't do these headphones justice. They are FANTASTIC. They are closed-ear headphones meaning they do a descent job of cancelling out ambient sound around you. However once you plug them in and wear them, you will hear noise around you, that's because Windows activates both the headphones and microphone in the headset (it's USB, not 3.5mm audio jack), so to cancel the ambient noise, just click the mute microphone button on the on-wire remote.

As for audio quality, it's not true 7.1 surround sound, it's emulated 7.1 surround sound, but don't let that turn you off these. The built in sub-woofer thumps out some truly demonic bass almost on par with a true 7.1 speaker surround sound cinema set up. I have been using these headphones for my YouTube channel, MaskedGEEK, for a few videos now and a couple of horror games, and dead Lord sound in horror games can really immerse you, so a good set of cans will really help.

One really good selling point though is, after the drivers are installed, when you plug them in, Windows will automatically route audio output to the headphones, and when you unplug them, audio goes back to your regular speakers. Don't let the cheapness of these headphones fool you. If you're looking for good headphones on a budget, these make a great addition to your audio arsenal. Just don't complain to Sades if you use these in horror games and end up having to send your pants to the dry-cleaners.

If you do end up buying these for recording your own videos for YouTube, it's best to plug these in first before you load your recording software. This isn't a fault with Sades, it's just they only show up in the Windows audio hardware list when plugged in, so your recording software will only see them if they are in the hardware list prior to loading the software.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 2, 2015 9:57 AM GMT

Corsair CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance 120mm Radiator All-In-One Liquid CPU Cooler

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent beginners water cooler, 20 Feb. 2013
I must admit, this is the very first water cooler I have ever bought. Up until now, thinking about getting the right type of water blocks, the right sized tubing, radiators and all that seemed too much of a risk for my expensive custom built rig (mostly along the lines of water leakage). Then I saw on YouTube about an American show which talked about pre built sealed water cooling units. So some research brough up this.

I was sceptical about the other reviews about this regarding the noise it made but I was a lucky one because mine makes no noise (I can't hear it over the case fan cooling my hard drives). Before I bought fan coolers and replaced the thermal paste with MX-4 but hear, I decided to just use what I got given.

The pro's: this arrived very quickly and includes fittings for Intel and AMD CPUs. I use AMD so when I started fitting it, to me it was a doddle. From opening my case, removing the fan cooler, cleaning the paste from the CPU, fitting the water cooler and replacing the cover took me about 90 minutes. The case fan for my hard drives is quiet, but its still louder than the radiator fan of the water cooler. I have an AMD Phenom II X4 AM3 3.6GHz CPU and playing demanding games like Crysis 2, GTA 4, Arkham City never pushes the tempurature over 45°C. Granted the weather is cold at the time of this review so yet to test it in hotter climes. The CPU is already more than a match for today's games but with this cooler I overclocked the CPU to 4GHz. Not a great speed increase I know but I don't want to burn out anything too quickly too soon. But this still only increased the average tempurature by half a degree. For a complete, pre built and sealed water cooling unit at this price? This is excellent.

The cons: it ships with a 120mm fan with same size radiator to boot. My case only had space for an 80mm fan. Boo! My first attempt to fashion a way to secure it failed miserably. It fell off which caused the air to mix with the air flow from the PSU so for a short time the CPU temperatures was HIGHER than the fan cooler. My next attemp was a lucky find. I took off the side panel and rested the radiator on the outside. It's pretty secure there now and helps to keep the CPU pretty chilled out now. This is okay for my standards because my two Nvidia GTX550 TI's still have their fans attached and they still kick up a lot of heat so keeping the side off helps cool them. When I'm brave enough I'll go for a true water cooling solution for both the CPU and graphics cards.

This cooler would have gotten 5 stars if there was an 80mm fan option. However for what you get in this is rock solid and will future proof your rig for a few years when you delve into overclocking your system as well.

ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Rev. 2 - 160 Watts Twin-Tower Heatsink CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD - 120mm PWM Fan - 4 Double-Sided Heatpipes - Easy Installation
Offered by Brainboost

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good inexpensive cooler, 12 Feb. 2012
While I have a lot of experience in building PC's, this was the first time I dealt with coolers and thermal paste as usually the stock coolers that come pre-supplied with some CPUs are satisfactory. But when I saw my CPU, AMD Phemon X4 2.2GHz Quad Core, started to reach 70+ degrees Celsius, I thought it's about time to upgrade the cooler.

First impressions are it's a very big item, though despite all that metal, it's also very light-weight. It will not cause any problems to full sized tower cases or strain on the motherboard, but beware: due to it's size it will only fit inside full sized ATX cases. If you only have a mini-ATX case, this cooler will not fit inside. It comes pre-supplied with it's own thermal paste, but I decided to remove that and use my own. I also cannibalized the stock CPU fan and turned it in to a case fan to help with the air flow. When I first booted up the PC, the CPU temp was at it's lowest it's ever been at only 6 degrees Celsius, and settling down about 5 minutes later around 15 degrees. Very good.

Next I played some demanding games, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Clear Sky, and GTA 4. Both these games pushed my CPU's temperature up to the 60's and 70's with the old stock fan, but using this cooler the highest the temperature the CPU got to was only 29 degrees and this was a good hours worth of playing on each game and with all the graphics settings maxed out at a screen size of 1,920 x 1,080 pixels. The log on the freeware program CoreTemp proved this.

It took a bit of effort getting the cooler fitted and the fan cable connected. If the holding brackets point up and down parallel to the memory banks then you most probably will need to remove the PSU to fit this, but I had no problems on my motherboard as the holding brackets pointed to the memory banks and rear I/O connectors.

The cooler comes with holding brackets for both AMD and Intel based motherboards, while I've never used Intel as a gaming platform I will not be able to review the Intel fittings, but the AMD fittings are quick and easy to fit. You just need a Philips screwdriver.

A highly efficient, quiet but not silent, inexpensive cooler most certainly deserving of it's price. It'll keep your CPU nearly just as cold as the current British weather (as of February 12, 2012). If you intend to replace your cooler anytime soon, certainly consider buying this.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 11:06 AM GMT