Profile for Hillsman > Reviews

Content by Hillsman

Hillsman (Belfast, N. Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Dream
Dream

2.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Stain on Your Finest Suit, 6 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dream (Audio CD)
Having decided to re-visit a few of the Orb's "middle" albums (i.e. after Orblivion and before Baghdad Batteries), I am suddenly reminded why this particular offering was returned henceforth at the time of purchase.

This really is poor. More vocal tracks than Cydonia, though seemingly worse this time around - Beautiful Day is tolerable, but Vuja De really is not. There is reggae, dub ambient and a fair smattering of Eastern influence, but few of the tracks on here have any real substance. Cheesy at times. Housey at others - could this be the Orb's most commercial album?

Sorry fellow Orb fans - there are just too few decent tracks on here to recommend this.

Cydonia
Cydonia
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better now than it was then, 4 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Cydonia (Audio CD)
I believe that when this album came out, I simply wasn't ready for it. The Orb had moved on and I hadn't. Perhaps I was put off by the vocal opener "Once More" or the harsh drum & bass sound of "Thursday's Keeper". But I've grown up a bit since then and my musical tastes have matured.

I have just returned to Cydonia and I am now realising what I've been missing. This is classic Orb. In fact, its un-mistakenly The Orb and probably one of their best works. The shorter tracks ("Egnable", "Firestar" & "1,1,1") are still a bit pointless and I've excluded them from my playlist. And "Thursday's Keeper" is still at odds with the rest of the album.

What remains is brilliant. And with fabulous longevity and scope for discovering new thoughts and sounds with each listen. Highly recommended. Oh, and if you haven't heard it, I also recommend Okie Dokie. Different, but great.

The Women [DVD] [2008]
The Women [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Meg Ryan
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Utter Tripe, 28 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Women [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Seriously. Just awful. Like a trip to a menagerie with all that twittering and squawking. Stupid story. Woeful performances. Jada Smith serves no purpose whatsoever. My wife summed it up perfectly. "That was absolute garbage" (without a hint of a smile). LOL

Best Foot Forward
Best Foot Forward

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Selection of Mammoth Hits, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Best Foot Forward (Audio CD)
It is probably worth noting in the first instance that this is a selection of Baby Mammoth tunes from each of the 5 albums that went before it i.e. 10000 Years Beneath the Street, One...Two...Freak, Bridging Two Worlds, Another Day at the Orifice and Swimming.

It is a decent selection of tunes - fairly consistent if you're looking for downtempo, trip-hop, nu-jazz style chilled beats! I probably would've chosen a different selection of tunes myself. My advice? Seek out their albums for the complete Baby Mammoth experience.

Big Chill Pipedreams
Big Chill Pipedreams

5.0 out of 5 stars Chillout Drum 'n' Bass Funky Ambient Bliss!, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Big Chill Pipedreams (Audio CD)
Boy! This brings back some happy memories....and the fact that I have been listening to this CD regularly since 1998 speaks volumes about its quality and endurance.

A true chillout journey that starts with haunting ambience, then takes you into dub territory with some subtle breaks, with 'Your Consciousness Goes Bip' a quirky & dreamy highlight. It's drum & bass after that, but don't let that put you off - 'Harp of Gold' is probably one of the most smile-inducing tracks I've ever heard, while 'Q-Flutes' is both thought-provoking and breathtaking. 'Mr Excitement' is a peculiar interlude to the aforementioned, but somehow it works here!

Admittedly, the mix tails off after this, but it's worth holding on for an appearance by the Jedi Nights near the end. All in all, this is easily one of the best CDs I have ever bought and will always be looked upon and thought off fondly by myself and friends who have accompanied me on this wonderful journey!!

Different Ball Game
Different Ball Game

4.0 out of 5 stars Read 4.5 Stars - Excellent Downtempo, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Different Ball Game (Audio CD)
I only recently discovered Pork Recordings, but I already know for sure that it is hard to wrong with them, particularly if you are on the lookout for fresh, original downtempo tunes.

If 1st of the Day was good and Nut Roast was better, then this third and final Bullitnuts album is probably their best. Excellent selection of chilled tracks that fuse everything from strings and baselines to breakbeats and electric guitars.

Ironically, what I really like about this album, is that I really enjoy almost every track while listening to it (except 'Daddy Big Hair', which is a little too 60's funk-inspired for my liking), then when the album is finished, I struggle to recall how any of the tracks went!! On a few occasions now, I've just listened to it again immediately and enjoy it just as much. Sounds daft, but I speak the truth. Highly recommended.

Agoria At The Controls
Agoria At The Controls
Offered by jim-exselecky

3.0 out of 5 stars Over-rated on Zon, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Agoria At The Controls (Audio CD)
Have to agree with Merlin Beard on this one. I'm a fan of Joris Voorn's Balance 014 and Anthony Pappa's 'Moments' CDs, but the At The Controls series just doesn't live up to the hype.

The mixes are interesting, with a diverse track selection that are intelligently put together. Alas, they are a little repetitve and, dare I say it, boring - they just don't instill any real excitement and require a little too much effort to get into. Same comments appl to James Holden at the Controls

Nut Roast
Nut Roast

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid slice of downtempo, 15 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Nut Roast (MP3 Download)
This a definite improvement on Bullitnuts' first album 1st of the Day in that it is a much more composed, consistent and interesting affair. This album works well both as good background music or as a collection of leftfield chilled grooves that you can really listen to and appreciate.

And there's good variety too - from the slightly quirky 'Savoir Fare' or the trippy dub-ness of 'Dark House' to the hazy beats of 'Between the Eyes' or the Detroit-ambient sound of Rockskool, which sounds like a collaboration betwen Ken Ishii & Speedy J! The album ends brilliantly with 'Tipple Tales', which is superbly, laid-back with some echoing beats and jazzy chords that eventually dilutes into something elegant and chilled.

I am not that keen on the first track ('A Sponge, Two Bricks & A Spring'), while 'Lizard Eye Tooth' is a little garish, but outside of those 2, this is a great album and a highly recommended addition to your downtempo collection.

Beautifully Falling Apart (Ambient Transmissions, Vol. 1)
Beautifully Falling Apart (Ambient Transmissions, Vol. 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Ambient Soundtrack, 17 July 2012
There are so many good ambient albums and compilations out there that it is difficult to stand out from the crowd. However, Marconi Union manage something with this album that is difficult to accomplish - a beautiful and interesting ambient music collection with no beats, disturbing samples or anything to disrupt the mood.

While fairly short, this is high quality stuff. When the wife / partner asks you to put on some soothing music to help her sleep, you can be confident when choosing this, that it will absolutely do the job!

1st Of The Day
1st Of The Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Sunny spells, but Dull in places., 16 July 2012
This review is from: 1st Of The Day (Audio CD)
Pork Recordings. Probably the best record label you never heard of with a whole host of little-known artists producing some fabulous, fresh and original downtempo music. I have only recently discovered the label and I am currently making my way through their extensive catalog (100+ Pork Releases!)

However, I do not entirely share the love for this Bullitnuts offering. It starts off on a real high. Tracks 1-4 are probably worth the purchase price. But the album tails off after that.

Donkey Stroke is interesting and Semantic Pearls is pleasant. The remaining tracks are just a little bit mind-numbing however. A little bit too DOWN tempo if you ask me. On too many occasions, I found myself asking "What am I listening to?" and barely resisting the urge to skip to the next track.

Strange, as their other 2 albums are so much better IMO. 3.5 stars I reckon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6