Profile for A. C. H. > Reviews

Content by A. C. H.

A. C. H. (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Confessions of a Domestic Failure: A Humorous Book about a Not So Perfect Mom
Confessions of a Domestic Failure: A Humorous Book about a Not So Perfect Mom
by Bunmi Laditan

5.0 out of 5 stars The mom characters that Ashley meets are amazing (and sometimes amazingly horrible), 22 May 2017
This book is hilarious and I'd laughed out loud twice by page 2. The mom characters that Ashley meets are amazing (and sometimes amazingly horrible). My takeaway from Bunmi: There's more than one way to be a Good Mom!

ISOLATE® Earplugs - Revolutionary Aerospace Aluminium Ear Protectors / Ear Plugs / Ear Protection
Offered by Flare Audio Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars For Isolate Mini's-- EXCELLENT, 24 April 2017
This is for the Isolate Mini's, which I hope Amazon will get soon.
Short version: they're amazing, way better than any other earplug I've tried. Comfortable fit (again, the mini's, size extra small foam bit--but all models are customisable). Blocks out all ambient noise and ~CRITICALLY~ greatly reduces noise experienced by a partner snoring next to you in bed.

Long version: I am an earplug connoisseur. I have used them since the age of 18 when I found myself sharing university accommodation with two girls who had opposite sleep tendencies to my own (I'm an early bird). I now worry I've lost the ability to sleep without earplugs and silence. I've used the foam ones and the silicone ones, though favoured the foam ones as the silicone get gross really quick and they feel weird. But the foam never fit quite right--they couldn't get in all the way, or would come dislodged halfway through the night, so even a partner's breathing would wake me (actual 2am conversation: "You want me to stop breathing?!" "Only till I'm back asleep please."). Or they were too big and would swell against the walls of my poor abused ear canals, causing discomfort.

Flare Audio must be doing a massive marketing push because it's all I've seen on Facebook. And I--always on the hunt for a better nights sleep--decided to give them a try.

They came several nights ago so I've now had them for 3 nights. Initially, I was really impressed with the size options they give. I clearly have really small ear canals and so the larger sized foam buds would be unsuitable for me (and these are about the same diameter as the standard foam earplug). Once they were in, I heard NO street noise (I'm on the 2nd floor above a busy street--sirens, car alarms, shouting youths; you name it). Then my flatmate came home. She's only 60kg but stomps loudly enough for someone of considerably greater weight. The only way I could tell she was home was by the familiar bed-shake that accompanies her stomping--but I couldn't hear it! These plugs also stayed put all night and didn't dislodge. I slept like the dead and didn't even hear my usual 4am wake-up call of amorous pigeons mating under my window.

Then the real test: how would they fare against my snoring partner? They fared pretty well. Certainly better than anything else I've tried. I could still hear him, but it was MUCH quieter than normal, and didn't bother me nearly as much. So, they don't block him out completely, but I'm far less likely to smother him during the night.

Two last points--they're really comfortable. For some reason it's less comfortable in my left ear, but I can barely feel it in my right ear. Finally, in terms of dB level of sound blocked, the packaging said about 35, which is probably accurate when it's lodged all the way in the canal (but maybe a low estimate) . My other foam plugs are about 32-33, but the difference was noticeable.

I won't look forward to buying another set at £40 when I invariably lose one, but in terms of getting closer to the elusive silent night's sleep, I'm pretty darn happy.

Moldex 7800 Spark Plugs Earplugs, 200 Units/Box
Moldex 7800 Spark Plugs Earplugs, 200 Units/Box

2.0 out of 5 stars These aren't great compared to other brands--don't fit into the ear canal ..., 1 Feb. 2017
These aren't great compared to other brands--don't fit into the ear canal or expand to seal out the sound as well. 35db-- not a chance! My boyfriend snores and I still hear everything wearing these. I will have to bin the entire lot I bought (unless some isn't as light a sleeper as me and wants to buy them).

Harley Quinn Outfits Suicide Squad Halloween Party Cosplay Costume Medium
Harley Quinn Outfits Suicide Squad Halloween Party Cosplay Costume Medium
Offered by WorldTenda

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely perfect. Ordered express delivery and it came within a ..., 10 Oct. 2016
Absolutely perfect. Ordered express delivery and it came within a week of order. Items included are the jacket, t-shirt (not ripped) a glove, pants, and belt. A note on fit: I ordered a medium, and wear a 10 in most brands (I'm 5'7" and 60kg). The pants are literally pants--a lot of butt shows. Jacket and shirt fit well, not too tight. Highly recommend for a Harley Quinn costume!

How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method (Advanced Fiction Writing Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tips for would-be authors., 17 Nov. 2014
Randy Ingermanson provides a useful and easy to learn creative methodology for writing fiction, and teaches it by telling a story (rather than a step by step method). The snowflake method is premised on starting small and building from there, and it breaks down the creative process to digestible bites. It's a quick read and is packed full of useful tips. Thanks very much Randy!

Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments
Braun Silk-épil 7 7681 Wet and Dry Cordless Epilator with 5 Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Great on certain areas; SO PAINFUL on others, 29 Aug. 2014
Here's what epillating is great for:
- hair that is used to being waxed.
- hair that has previously been lasered but is growing back in patches.

Here's what epillating is awful for (from a pain management sense):
-hair that is used to being shaven.
-skin that isn't taut (i.e. under-pubic area, armpits)

When hair is used to being waxed, or has previously been lasered, it grows back thinner and the root is already traumatised, so is easier to pluck. When hair has been cut off half way with a razor, the hair is still really coarse and is super painful to epilate.

I started by epillating my (previously shaven) legs, in the shower. It was painful, but remotely tolerable. The result wasn't great though, so I epilated again on my dry legs the next day. The result was excellent--completely smooth, but SO painful. I'm hoping that going forward, this will be less painful, as the hair will grow back thinner and the root will not be so steadfast.

I then epilated my upper bikini area, which had previously been lasered and which has a few stray hairs growing in. Perfect result. The hair is not too dense and the pain was hardly noticeable.

I then tried to epilate my armpits. JUST NO. The skin is extra stretchy there; the other areas I did were taut. It felt like my entire armpit was being ripped out. I'm going to wax first, then try again.

I would not try this on my lower pubic area--too difficult to see and the skin there is loose.

Also, I would say that this is more effective on dry skin than wet skin, but the water does make it feel better.

After epillating, my skin was raw and bumpy; I sprayed Avenue water on the area and then moisturised heavily. The bumps lessen in about 30-45 minutes.

Gardenia jasminoides - 1 plant
Gardenia jasminoides - 1 plant
Offered by Gardener's Dream Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars which is fine (it is a 9 cm pot), 22 July 2014
This review is from: Gardenia jasminoides - 1 plant
My plant is about 1/4th the size of the one in the photo, which is fine (it is a 9 cm pot). The 2 bloomed gardenias it was delivered with died and fell off within a week, as did the unblossomed buds, so I hope it will bloom again.

Forefront Cases Leather Case Cover/Stand with Magnetic Auto Sleep Wake Function for Apple iPad Mini - White
Offered by Forefront Cases

5.0 out of 5 stars very sturdy. Superior product to other brands (which were less ..., 22 July 2014
Fits perfectly, very sturdy. Superior product to other brands (which were less sturdy).

Rowing Blazers
Rowing Blazers
by Jack Carlson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book & great photos, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Rowing Blazers (Hardcover)
This is an excellent coffee table book; the photography is fantastic and Mr Carlson tells a great story.

The Crooked Maid
The Crooked Maid

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story, couldn't put it down, 15 May 2014
This review is from: The Crooked Maid (Kindle Edition)
Dan Vyleta's novels are without equal, and this one is no different. He is a fantastic storyteller, weaving together his own interesting characters with historical events. Really worth a read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3