Profile for Kevin Leeds > Reviews

3 x BROWN BLOODWORM SIZE 10
3 x BROWN BLOODWORM SIZE 10
Offered by Fishing Republic Company UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Still hoping..., 13 Aug. 2016
This review is from: 3 x BROWN BLOODWORM (Misc.)
Well constructed but I wish I'd found some size 12 or 14. And I have to report that despite several outings this pattern has not yet landed me a trout.

Low
Low

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 13 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
Another masterwork from the master.

Russian Redemption: The Redemption Series: Book One
Russian Redemption: The Redemption Series: Book One

4.0 out of 5 stars Good start, 13 Aug. 2016
I bought this for a lady friend to read on my Kindle. She finished it pretty quickly and said she enjoyed all of it, including, reportedly, some rather racy bits. Seems to be a good start for a new author.

All Creatures Great and Small: The classic memoirs of a Yorkshire country vet (James Herriot 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting, 25 May 2016
I bought this for my Kindle to re- read the story which I'd first read in paperback in the 70's. It's a warm, comforting, life affirming story of country folk, and unlike if it had been written today doesn't have to rely on cheap sensationalism.

Eagle Annual: the Best of the 1950s Comic - Features Dan Dare, the Greatest Comic Strip of All Time
by Daniel Tatarsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet nostalgia, 25 May 2016
This is a rich collection of early editions, and is especially interesting given the inclusion of the editorials, the letters pages, adverts etc. Essential reading not just for Eagle fans, but for any researcher trying to understand the zeitgeist of 1950's Britain.

The Girl in the Spider's Web: Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series
The Girl in the Spider's Web: Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millennium Series
by David Lagercrantz

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth the effort, 25 May 2016
Like many who loved the original trilogy, I originally dismissed the appearance of this book as being impossible to succeed. Nevertheless, being interested enough to follow the reviews, and seeing how mixed they were, I felt obliged to dive in and see for myself. I was hugely pleased to see that Lagercrantz has succeeded, and Blomquist and Salander are back with a vengeance. I found it gripping and difficult to put down, and disappointed when it finally came to a close.
So why 4/5 and not 5/5?
To me the weaknesses were as follows:
Salander has morphed from being merely a gifted hacker into a sort of super human out of the pages of Marvel comics. Apart from being able to hack into the NSA, which, given it's a thriller novel after all, we can live with, she is also a hand to hand combat star, a top shot, and shrugs off bullet wounds as a mere inconvenience. Will she wear a cape and fly in the next instalment?
The abilities of August, the savant, were also verging on the supernatural.
The pace and unfolding of the plot were fine for the first 80-90% of the story; then, with what should possibly have been another 300-400 pages of story, it was as though the author had been told they were running out of paper, and to get it wrapped up quick. To me, the credibility dropped from the visit of Ed Needham to Sweden onwards.
And finally a minor irritation: Lagercrantz uses the style "N.S.A.", "B.M.W.", "N.A.S.A." etc instead of NSA, BMW and NASA, and it looks odd.
Looking forward to the next one.

Pentax SD 8 x 42 WP Roof Prism Binocular
Pentax SD 8 x 42 WP Roof Prism Binocular

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 9 April 2016
These were bought for me off Amazon by a friend for my birthday, as they knew I was hankering after an upgrade from my Olympus 8.40 DPSI, which I bought off Amazon for under £40. Also hopefully to fast forward technically from my ancient Hilkinson 8x40's; these are decades old but still crystal clear. Finally, I definitely wanted to try a pair of roof prisms for the first time.
On delivery I noticed they were manufactured in the Philippines. They're light and appear well finished. The focus adjustment wheel is very tight, and hasn't loosened off in the last 6 months. The dioptre adjustment is limited, and only just meets me requirements. The field of view of 7.5 degrees beats my Hilkinson's 6.5, but not the Olympus's 8.2.
The big issue is that despite over 6 months of comparisons in different environments, I can't say that the c.£300 Pentax perform any better than the c.£40 Olympus, and I'm adamant that the quality of image is inferior to the Hilkinson's.
So I'll use them, no doubt for a long time, but will always wonder whether I should have gone to the next level for the improvements I'd imagined I'd get, and whether roof prisms offer any advantage at all over porro, apart from size.

Cockroaches: An early Harry Hole case
Cockroaches: An early Harry Hole case
by Don Bartlett

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't omit from the Hole collection, 9 April 2016
Essential early background to Harry's story for those who care.

Sacred Spirit:Chants and Dances of the Native Americans
Sacred Spirit:Chants and Dances of the Native Americans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mood music., 9 April 2016
Hypnotic and relaxing. Caution; if driving it can relax you too much!

The Master
The Master
by Colm Tóibín

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterful, 9 April 2016
This review is from: The Master (Paperback)
This is without doubt written by, as well as about, a master.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5