Profile for mini me > Reviews

Content by mini me

mini me

Free Market Madness: Why Human Nature is at Odds with Economics--and Why it Matters
by Peter Ubel

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., 30 Aug. 2016
An excellent book on the problems that markets can bring to society and how we are not always the 'rational utility maximizers' that many economists think we are. The book also makes some very good suggestions on how we might be able to overcome market myopia (soft paternalism) and raises some excellent points about how pure 'libertarianism' and market fundamentalism can negatively affect society in the real world using some of Ubel's personal experiences as a physician in the medical industry and the obvious ones which are clearly visible to us all like obesity and diabetes etc. Very good read.

The Tyranny of Words
The Tyranny of Words
by Stuart Chase

5.0 out of 5 stars Stuart Chase does a great job of highlighting its problems and provides ways of ..., 4 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Tyranny of Words (Paperback)
Absolute must read for everyone, our language is old and unclear, Stuart Chase does a great job of highlighting its problems and provides ways of thinking about it so it becomes more clear and therefore understandable to all.

The Crowd
The Crowd
by Gustave Le Bon

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Aug. 2015
This review is from: The Crowd (Paperback)
Just as relevent today as ever, a must read for anyone curious about human behavior.

The Pebble in my Pocket: A History of Our Earth
The Pebble in my Pocket: A History of Our Earth
by Meredith Hooper

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for the little ones, 4 Aug. 2015
A great book for the little ones, explaining the time scales of the geological process is not easy (even for adults to comprehend) but this book does a great job of introducing just how much a typical pebble goes through to get to where it is today. Nice artwork and a great narrative.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not bad for the price, 4 Aug. 2015
Quite a simple but workable solution to using mp3 and various other formats in your car. Cheap but not bad for the price.

The Establishment: And how they get away with it
The Establishment: And how they get away with it
by Owen Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars big business and the media is one of the worst possible combinations for our society, 4 Aug. 2015
A must read for anyone who wants to understand how control over our society is exerted and the types of groups responsible. I think our so called 'democracy' is in serious trouble if this is an accurate account of those with power at the top. It seems the collusion between the government, big business and the media is one of the worst possible combinations for our society, bar a small clique elite. Most of this information can be found if you look hard enough and in the right places, Owen Jones has done a lot of hard work collating it all for us and highlighting the implications of this information in a wider sense.

Scotland's Mountains: A Landscape Photographer's View
Scotland's Mountains: A Landscape Photographer's View
by Joe Cornish

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 21 Nov. 2011
Not long before this book hit the shelves i found myself discovering the Scottish landscape for the first time. With its wild, rugged mountains and moors and inclement weather i fell in love with the place instantly. For this reason, Scotlands Mountains by Joe Cornish was much more than a book of outstanding photographs, i began relating many of his experiences written so well in the book with my own as i became addicted to the drama of Scotland myself. I still have so much more to explore and this book will always be a close travelling companion on my excursions, an inspirational journey through one of Britains most beautiful landscapes.

A Photographer at Work
A Photographer at Work
by Joe Cornish

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 24 Jan. 2011
This review is from: A Photographer at Work (Paperback)
This book for me turned out to be a dissapointment, having collected and read most material by Joe Cornish im often left hoping for more but im sorry to say that wasnt the case this time. I felt many of the pages to this book were wasted for e.g. theres over 30 images in a strip of Joe silhouetted in slightly different positions on a rock fiddling with his camera...i was left unsure why this sequence occupied two pages!? While Joe's large format photography is up to his usual standard some of the documentary images are pretty bad (even if they are meant to be just documents). In places this book felt like it was an advert for all the big name manufacturers of photography equipment with Joe using various cameras, tripods, tripod heads and bags with names and labels being displayed most of the time. Unfortunately i wish i spent my money on a different book.