Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for HarvardAlum321 > Reviews

Content by HarvardAlum321

HarvardAlum321

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Zinc Magnesium B6 240 Capsules 500mg | Deluxe Formula | Upto 3 months supply
Zinc Magnesium B6 240 Capsules 500mg | Deluxe Formula | Upto 3 months supply
Offered by DELUXE SUPPLEMENTS

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for Sleep, but your body adapts, 8 April 2014
I never purchased this item as a "test booster." All the research tends to show that this really doesn't do anything to boost your testosterone levels. However, I did try this to help me get more restful sleep at night.

For the first few nights, I found that this disrupted my sleep. But after that, I found that it helped me get a deeper more satisfying restful sleep.

Unfortunately, it stopped having an affect after seven or eight months. Perhaps, that's to be expected. So use it sparingly if you use it for sleep.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2014 3:43 PM BST

Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK
Jasmine Silk 100% Pure Silk Filled Eye Mask / Sleeping Mask Sleep Mask - BLACK
Offered by Jasmine Silk

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well - not too tight, 8 April 2014
I'm very sensitive to light in the morning, and so I need something to sleep with. But at the same time, if the band is too tight then it irritates me. This one was good value product.

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein Powder, 1.82 kg - Vanilla
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Casein Powder, 1.82 kg - Vanilla

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Evening Snack But Leaves Clumps, 8 April 2014
Optimum Nutrition tends to be the highest quality protein on the market. Amazon sells this at a relatively good price as well. Casein is particularly helpful for evenings and nights (immediately before bed). Casein is a slow release protein that helps your body adapt and recover over night.

My only complaint is that this protein clumps a bit more than other casein versions I've tried. But overall, it's good stuff.

Jurassic Park [Blu-ray] [1993] [US Import]
Jurassic Park [Blu-ray] [1993] [US Import]
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Works on Britsh TV and UK Blu Ray Player, 4 Sept. 2013
I purchased this 3D Blu Ray disc while I was in the US recently. I was uncertain as to whether it would work on my British TV and Blu Ray player (as often these discs are regionally encoded to only work on one continent).

I took the risk, and it paid off. The 3D Blu Ray works, and the picture looks great. I have a 2012 LG 3D TV, and a 2013 LG 3D Blu Ray player. (I also tried it on a Playstation 3, and it worked there too). I'm not sure if the disc works all over the world or whether it's my devices can play different regions. I would guess the 3D Blu Ray disc itself is region free, because it worked on both the LG player and the PS3.

But I will be picking up discs in the US more often now...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2013 8:24 PM GMT

Life in the United Kingdom: Official Practice Questions and Answers, 2014 Edition
by TSO (The Stationery Office)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practice Questions, 26 July 2013
This book contains around 15 or 16 practice exams. I took all the questions and read through all the answers. This book will show you how the test is laid out. There are always several questions regarding British history. There are several questions regarding "pop culture" (although I don't know why, as it's completely irrelevant). There is always a question or two about geography and British territories. There are always three or four questions about British politics (past and present). And there are always one or two questions about "British values."

Buy this book and you'll see the patterns of how the test works. Moreover, you'll find the areas where you're weak and need to go back and study.

You should obviously also buy the history books as well. But this one is essential to assessing how much you know about "Life in the UK."

One final point -- new editions of these books seem to come out every March. So if you're taking the test after March 2014, you may want to search for the latest edition.

Optimum Nutrition Glutamine 5000 Muscle Recovery Powder, 600 g
Optimum Nutrition Glutamine 5000 Muscle Recovery Powder, 600 g
Offered by Training Fuels

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have for Serious Lifters, 9 July 2013
There's a lot of hype around Glutamine. The supplement industry tries to market this as a supplement that helps "muscles growth", and that's not necessarily true. Lifting heavy weights consistently (4-6 times a week) takes a real toll on your body. You can become susceptible to the effects of over-training, which includes: increased sickness, loss of sleep, feeling overly tired after exercising etc. This of course means that your muscles aren't growing, and in fact they could shrink. So Glutamine doesn't actually help your muscles grow per se, it helps stops the negative effects of over-training which hurt muscle growth. I've seen people on other websites complaining about Glutamine "not working" but they only exercise two or three times a week. For them, this isn't a necessity.

For those that work out four times a week or more, they need Glutamine to stop themselves from feeling run down or over-exerted. I was suffering from the symptoms of over-training, so I decided that additional Glutamine might be helpful, and it was. I no longer felt run down or felt colds continuously coming on. It was a real boost to my immune system.

Many other supplements, such as Maximuscle Cyclone 1200 g Strawberry Size and Strength Shake Powder or USN Protein Dessert 454 g Vanilla Slow Release Night-Time Protein Forumla Dessert have Glutamine in them, but they don't give you enough.

If you're a serious trainer, you need around 15MG a day. Three scoops of Cyclone would only give you 10MG of Glutamine, and three scoops of USN Dessert Protein only gives you 8MG. So unless you want to drink loads of protein shakes, it's best to add a teaspoon or tww to this to your regular protein shake (depending on whether Glutamine is present).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2014 3:55 PM GMT

The Center Holds: Obama and His Enemies
The Center Holds: Obama and His Enemies
by Jonathan Alter

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book! Best Political Book Since Robert Caro!, 3 July 2013
Although I closely watched the 2012 US Presidential Campaign (and in deed at one point I commented on it on BBC Radio 5), this book does an amazing job at giving you a behind the scenes look at what was really happening on both sides. The author shows you what the campaigns were thinking and doing behind the scenes; he gets inside the heads of the political advisers and getting past all the spin coming out from advisers.

He delves into the Obama's campaign massive electronic voter/consumer data algorithms that allowed them to micro-target their message to swing voters at a fraction of the cost -- all the while the Romney campaign was still using traditional media, such as TV commercials. For example, the Obama campaign was able to figure out exactly which bus stops that swing voters used in particular towns and they used adverts on buses and at bus stops to promote their message for pennies on the dollar.

The author also takes you through Obama's massive ground game, and he demonstrates that it was the ground game that made all the difference (holding back the tide of corporate money that was mostly going into TV ads). Moreover, their computer programs allowed the Obama campaign to figure out exactly who were swing voters and knock on those doors only, while avoiding houses they knew leaned Republicans. The detail is staggering!

That's only one aspect of the book. He also delves into the voter suppression efforts that Republicans tried to push. Even I didn't realize how massive and widespread it was.

He also discusses Obama's dismal first debate, and he explains how this awesome orator simply hates debating and sound-bytes and resists them (at his own peril).

I could go on and on, but this book REALLY is amazing. It's the most detailed and politically enjoyable book since Robert Caro's Master of the Senate (which is the best political biography of all time). This doesn't quite get to that level, but I did enjoy "The Center Holds" more than Caro's fourth book.

If you're interested in US politics, you get this book.

One final note... A lot of US Republicans have criticized this book, because the author's "biased." Well, that is definitely true. Alter leans left. The problem is that he's ACCURATE and uses lots of FACTS, and many of these unfortunate truths don't bode well for the American right-wingers. Moreover, he takes on Fox News and how they literally are the propaganda machine for the Republican party. So Fox is not exactly "fair and balanced." Fox gave a blanket condemnation of this book, but refused to point out one area where the author was inaccurate or said something false.

PhD V-Max Pump Orange Crush Flavoured Pre Workout Powder 800g
PhD V-Max Pump Orange Crush Flavoured Pre Workout Powder 800g

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst Tasting Drink I've Ever Had, 3 July 2013
First, let me say that when I read reviews of people complaining about the taste, I think they're just being babies. Protein shakes and energy drinks are supposed to provide you with nutrients, not be as delicious as sugary drinks. But this drink really is vile. You can see that I've written reviews for: BSN 1.03Kg NO-Xplode 2.0 EU Pre-Workout Lemonade, Maximuscle Cyclone 1200 g Strawberry Size and Strength Shake Powder, and Maximuscle Progain 2000 g Chocolate Size and Strength Shake Powder among others.

But this one really does taste bad. It literally makes me feel slightly sick when trying to get it down. I work out five times a week. I've had loads of different work out drinks, but this one really is the worst I've ever tasted.

The good news is though if you can stomach this drink, this drink has key ingredients that you need pre-workout without all of the other random stimulants that other companies add in. (That's why I give it two stars rather than 1)

SLx 4 Way Aerial Amplifier with Digtial By-Pass
SLx 4 Way Aerial Amplifier with Digtial By-Pass
Offered by Teckstar

1.0 out of 5 stars Did Nothing for My TV, 25 Jun. 2013
This product did nothing for my TV. I purchased it because of all of the glowing reviews. My TV was having trouble receiving the HD channels, so I wanted a boost, but sadly, this booster did nothing. Of course, a lot of this depends on the TV model and where you live, so I accept that it could work for some areas but not others, but be warned that it doesn't work for everyone.

USN Protein Dessert Slow Release Night- Time Protein Forumla Dessert, Vanilla - 454 g
Offered by DG Supplements

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For Lean Guys, 25 Jun. 2013
If you're naturally skinny/thin and trying to bulk up, this product is for you!

When trying to put on lean muscle, I generally use Maximuscle Cyclone 1200 g Strawberry Size and Strength Shake Powder. However, I noticed that it was hard for me to get to sleep if I drank a Cyclone shake immediately before bed. That's probably not surprising considering everything they put inside protein shakes these days. So I wanted to try something that was specifically designed as a late-night snack or something to take before bed.

As you're probably aware, your body repairs itself while you sleep (and that includes your muscles), so your muscles grow a great deal when you have a good night's rest after a good training session.

Obviously, protein is necessary for muscle growth, and taking a slow-release protein supplement gives you body more to work with while you sleep. Slow release protein releases nutrients over 6-7 hours as opposed to 3-4. This means you're giving your body more nutrients to work with while you rest.

I've gained two kilos in three weeks, which is amazing if you're supper skinny like me and have always had trouble putting on lean muscle mass.

The only reason I give this four stars in stead of five is that it is VERY EXPENSIVE for what it is. There are cheaper "slow release" proteins on the market, but I haven't tried them yet, so I can't compare them, but I'm fairly satisfied with this product.

FYI - I freely admit that you can get the same benefits of slow release protein from eating a big helping of cottage cheese right before bed, but I just couldn't stand the taste. While no protein shake is perfect, this one is fairly tasty in terms of shakes. In fact, it's my favorite, which is one reason why I never forget to take it at night.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6