Profile for laineyf > Reviews

Content by laineyf
Top Reviewer Ranking: 776

laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Incarnations
The Incarnations
by Susan Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating..........................., 1 July 2015
This review is from: The Incarnations (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh Wow!! 'The Incarnations' by Susan Barker is a story that spans time, weaving through countless lives lived by Wang, a taxi driver in Beijing in 2008. What lives he has lived!! We go back over a thousand years, through wars, sorcery, madness, love, treachery, betrayal, power, passion, lust, and every emotion known to man! We see how Wang has evolved over the centuries, the lessons that he has learned, and the truths that have been revealed to him. We also see the mistakes made, obsessions that have taken root in his psyche, demons that have not been exorcised by time. This is a harsh, brutal, violent glimpse into re-incarnation, full of murder, sex, intrigue, lies, deceit, and I found it to be utterly compelling. It is so hard to put into words the way that this book impacted upon me - I was just unable to stop reading it! It has shock factor, it has cruelty, it has adventure and misadventure in abundance. It has everything, and kept me fascinated until the very end. I won't say that it is enjoyable - that is not the right word to describe this book - but it is compulsive reading, and brilliant writing, in my opinion. It is beautifully descriptive, so intelligently plotted, and is a story to ponder over - it definitely made me think, and could lead to some fascinating discussion I feel. Highly recommended.

Dear Daughter
Dear Daughter
by Elizabeth Little

5.0 out of 5 stars strangely compelling............................., 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Dear Daughter (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Dear Daughter' by Elizabeth Little is a roller-coaster ride alongside Janie Jenkins as she gets her first taste of freedom for 10 years, after being jailed for the murder of her mother! Jane is the 'poor little rich kid' who never knew her father, who was brought up by her indolent, spoilt mother, and who feels that she was short-changed by the world! She had it all........................and then finally snapped and killed her mother. Or did she? The evidence is very much against her, and on her release, Jane decides to do some investigating of her own into the circumstances surrounding her mother's death, and her own subsequent conviction. This is a compulsive, intriguing tale, that keeps you guessing all along - I kept changing my mind on what I THOUGHT had happened - and then, right when I thought I'd figured it out.................I hadn't!! Jane is a great lead character, being wilful, conniving, spoilt and manipulative, but somehow likeable in a strange way. I wanted to know more about the sister towns - I really liked the premise of the 'ghost town' - and I found the cast of supporting characters to be weird and wacky enough to keep me involved. I liked the way that the story twisted and turned, leading me in one direction and then doubling back on itself, which I found kept my interest. I really enjoyed this book, it engaged me from the beginning, and kept my interest right up to the end, so for me, it's a winner!! Recommended.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
by Carol Rifka Brunt

5.0 out of 5 stars sensitive and strong........................, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Tell the Wolves I'm Home' by Carol Rifka Brunt had me totally spellbound. June is 14 years old, has a 16 year old sister Greta, and lives with her parents. Greta is petite, popular, and is talented at acting and singing. June is none of those things. June's best friend is her Uncle Finn, her Mother's brother, who understands her, listens to her, and is always there for her. Finn dies, and the cause of his death is not discussed, but his 'special friend' Toby is held responsible by Finns' family. June meets Toby secretly, and discovers that things are never as they seem, that there is a part of Finns' life that she had no idea about, and that we only ever know as much about a person as they want us to know. As Finn and Toby's secrets are revealed, June realises that her image of her Uncle is not real - it is not who he was. She has to face up to reality - her Uncle's and her own - and discovers just how wrong you can be, how blind you can be, and how love changes everything, and everybody. I found this book to be such a moving and powerful story - it made my heart ache - and I hurt for Finn and Toby very much, and I really felt for June, trying to come to terms with her Uncles' sexuality, and also trying to understand her own adolescent love for him. In my opinion, the spectre of AIDS is dealt with very poignantly, lurking throughout the story as it does. This book is beautifully written, well told, and is also sensitive and strong. I really liked it, and recommend it.

Purina ONE My Dog Is Active Chicken and Rice Dry Dog Food, 800 g (Pack of 4)
Purina ONE My Dog Is Active Chicken and Rice Dry Dog Food, 800 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality food for the active small dog......................, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Purina ONE My Dog is Active Chicken and Rice Dry Dog Food 800g comes in a pack of 4 - however, for review purposes, I received one pack.
My little dog loves her kibble, however, she does have a little mouth and little teeth, so the size of the food is very important to her, as sometimes, the pieces can be too big for her to manage, and she struggles! This food is the perfect size, and chicken and rice is always a good combination, so I had anticipated that she would enjoy it......................and she did!! She doesn't eat her food all in one sitting, she prefers to 'graze' - returning to her bowl whenever she wishes - and this food stays perfectly fresh and edible for her. The kibble has two components, one crunchy, and one softer, which Izzy loved! She spends her days running around, chasing after and playing with our GSD, so uses up a lot of energy! This food is for the active dog, providing high quality protein, and specific carbohydrates, and also helps with a healthy immune system, and is proven to help with a healthy coat and skin - so it's all good! The important thing for me is that Izzy thoroughly enjoyed it, ate it all, and wanted more. It gets her vote, so it gets mine! Recommended.

ThinkFun Robot Turtles Board Game
ThinkFun Robot Turtles Board Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enjoyable........................., 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Thinkfun Robot Turtles Board Game is just perfect for inquisitive little minds, being bright, colourful, and interesting, without being too challenging!! There are no losers, so no tears and tantrums, and the children can adapt the game to suit themselves. Basically, the game is to steer the turtle towards the jewel, incorporating the use of instruction cards. I gave it to my grandchildren (aged between 4 + 9) and they all enjoyed playing it, and it kept them occupied without boring them, so I would call it a success. It encourages children to think - teaching them strategy without actually seeming to do so - and no matter the ages/skills of the children playing, they can participate and of course, win!! The game is a very good concept, and is something a little different from the usual board game. The children really enjoyed playing it, it encourages discussion, and therefore, has to be a good thing! Recommended.

Interlude
Interlude
by Rupert Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Secretive Love.................................., 20 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Interlude (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved this book! 'Interlude' by Rupert Smith drew me in from the very beginning, right up to the very end. It is fascinating, compelling, poignant and moving. Helen has two children, and her husband works in town, so is away from home, leaving her with a lot of time on her hands. She is bored, and decides to join a writing group. Her grandfather is a famous/infamous writer named Edward Barton, who wrote a book called 'Interlude' - and that is pretty much all that Helen knows of him. Her Mother and Father refuse to reveal any details, and will not disclose why they do not have contact with him. So Helen, with the encouragement of Harry, her tutor, decides to take matters into her own hands, and contacts her Grandfather. In doing so, she opens up the proverbial can of worms, and you can practically hear the skeletons rattling in the cupboard!! After meeting her Grandfather, much against her parents' wishes, he dies, and Helen is made executor of his estate. She goes down to his house, and discovers a cache of diaries which reveal the true story behind this dysfunctional family - and what a story it is! I was absolutely captivated by this book - I really couldn't put it down - and loved it's punchiness, it's gorgeous style, and found it to be moving and soul-searching. I wasn't surprised by it, had anticipated the denouement, and was completely absorbed by this story of secretive love, lust and the aftermath. Highly recommended.

The Informant
The Informant
by Susan Wilkins

5.0 out of 5 stars The dark side of life............................., 20 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Informant (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Informant' by Susan Wilkins is harsh, gritty, and violent. It is the story of the Phelps family - in particular Kaz and her brother Joey. Kaz has just got out of prison after a 6 year stretch caused by her taking the rap for her brother, and the experience of being in prison is not one that she wants to repeat. Joey is a psychopath, with no conscience whatsoever, and no qualms about killing whomever gets in his way, or tries to thwart his plans. Joey wants Kaz back on the team, but she is determined to change her life for the better. However, blood is thicker than water, and events have a way of creeping up and catching us unawares, when we least expect it. In my opinion, this is a really well-written, compelling drama, with realistic characters and believable scenarios. I found it to be a real page-turner, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Recommended.

Amity & Sorrow
Amity & Sorrow
by Peggy Riley

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard going at times........................., 15 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Amity & Sorrow (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Amity & Sorrow' by Peggy Riley is a glimpse into the life of a 'cult'. Amaranth is the first wife of 50, and her husband, Zachariah, is the cult leader. Amity & Sorrow are her 2 daughters with Zachariah. As the story unfolds, we are shown how the cult operates - how needy, disadvantaged young women are 'rescued' by Zachariah, and brought to the compound to become wives. During the course of the story, much is revealed about the lifestyle the women live, how they all pander to Zachariah, working, cleaning, obeying his commands. Amaranth, Amity & Sorrow are on the run from the cult, and find themselves at Bradley's farm, after crashing their car. For Amaranth, life consists of constantly looking over her shoulder, waiting for the cult to reclaim them. This is a disturbing book, showing how easily these women become brainwashed, believing that Zachariah has a direct line to God, and their willingness to do his bidding is quite frightening I thought. I had sympathy for Amaranth and Amity, but Sorrow left me cold. It's a very interesting book to read though, and definitely made me think! I liked it, but did find it hard going at times.

The Past
The Past
by Tessa Hadley

4.0 out of 5 stars Unfinished business..............................., 13 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Past (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Past' by Tessa Hadley intrigued me when I first got it. I liked the concept of an old house, with memories resurging from bygone times, and impacting on the present day lives of the family descendants. I liked the family - dark, intense, secretive Harriet, dippy, dramatic, centre-stage Alice, put-upon Fran - earth mother, coping with two children, absent husband and dysfunctional siblings, and Roland, ambitious, non-demonstrative, absorbed in his new marriage to the exotic and beautiful Pilar. At least, that is how the family seem at first glance. As the story slowly unfolds, we go back to the siblings' mother - Jill - and little pieces of her life and that of HER mother, Sophy, are revealed - tantalising but holding back. There is also, underlying the 'main' story, a teenage passion, that of Kasim, Alice's ex-boyfriends' son, and Molly, Rolands' daughter, both of whom come down whilst the siblings stay at the old house for 3 weeks for the purpose of deciding what to do with the house - renovate it, or let it go, and all its' memories with it. I liked this book, but it somehow never quite got there for me, at least, not until the end, and even then, it was a bit of a let-down really - I wanted more, and I felt that there was so much scope for more. So many unanswered questions, so much unsaid and unfinished. Perhaps this is what the past is - unfinished, unsaid, undone? I don't know - but I DID like the book.

Electrolux EAP150 Healthy Living Oxygen Air Purifier - White
Electrolux EAP150 Healthy Living Oxygen Air Purifier - White

5.0 out of 5 stars It worked for us!!.............................., 11 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Electrolux EAP150 Healthy Living Oxygen Air Purifier in White has proved to be a real gem of a product in my home!! Both my daughter-in-law and my little granddaughter suffer with allergies and hayfever, and as we have 2 dogs, 3 cats and 2 guinea pigs, their visits can sometimes be a little uncomfortable for them, to say the least. So when I saw this product, I was very hopeful that it would help with the problems that they face. It is a neat, compact size, although when it arrived, judging by the size of the packaging, I expected it to be very big and bulky! I put it in the bedroom, and had it on the lowest setting, and kept it on. It was nice and quiet when running, and my girls were able to sleep without being disturbed by the noise. There is an indicator on it showing when the filter needs to be changed, but of course, we have not had to do that just yet. My girls woke the next morning with no runny noses, no stuffed up sinuses, no headaches, having had a good nights sleep. This is a cost-effective product, as it is relatively cheap to run, and the main advantage is that it actually WORKS!! It does enable a good nights sleep, it does purify the air, it is quiet and efficient, it does not obstruct anything, as it is so compact, yet powerful. So, in my opinion, it is a really good product, that totally worked for us, and is something that I am happy to wholeheartedly recommend!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20