Profile for laineyf > Reviews

Content by laineyf
Top Reviewer Ranking: 744

laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dew Sterling Silver and Gold Plate Rise and Shine Sun and Moon Necklace 45.7cm 9465GD

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicate and pretty................, 6 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am absolutely delighted with this!! It is so delicate and pretty, and beautifully presented in a lovely little box, complete with card. It comes with a long (18ins) chain, which is light and consists of tiny little links, and is altogether a delightful piece of jewellery - just perfect as a gift maybe, or even better, as a special treat for yourself!! I wasn't expecting the Dew Sterling Silver and Gold Plate Rise and Shine Sun and Moon Necklace to be as chic and pretty as it is, and was very pleasantly surprised! It would complement any outfit, in my opinion, and is going to be a very welcome addition to my jewellery collection! I hadn't heard of Dew before, but having received this lovely item, I am very happy to highly recommend them!

Prisoner of Night and Fog
Prisoner of Night and Fog
by Anne Blankman

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling glimpse into a twisted mind............................, 3 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was so impressed by this novel!! 'Prisoner of Night and Fog' by Anne Blankman is marketed as Young Adult fiction - but I am a mature reader, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and was fascinated by it!! Gretchen Muller is part of Adolf Hitler's 'inner circle' - her father died protecting him, and Hitler is Gretchen's 'Uncle Dolf' - watching over her family, with their best interests at heart - allegedly. He has indoctrinated the Muller's with his policies - convinced them that the Jews are dragging Germany down, and that they need to be 'resettled' in the East. Of course, there was to be NO resettlement, he was talking about the extinction of the Jews. I found it horrifying how he literally 'brain-washed' people into believing him, and doing what he wanted. As the story unfolds, Gretchen's sense of unease becomes more apparent, and she finds herself questioning the circumstances surrounding the death of her Father, and whether 'Uncle Dolf' has ulterior motives. She meets Daniel Cohen, a Jewish reporter, a person who has always been anathema to her, and slowly begins to realise that the Jews are not 'sub-human' as 'Uncle Dolf' would have her believe. With the help of Daniel, the scales begin to fall from Gretchen's eyes, and she finally confronts what she has suspected all along - her Father's death was NOT that of a hero, a martyr who died protecting his friend and leader - it was in fact murder. Her 'Uncle Dolf' is not the kind-hearted, generous friend to her family that she thought he was - he is a raving psychopath who intends to destroy life for anyone who does not 'fit his criteria'. Gretchen has a choice to make, and she and Daniel have to find the courage and strength to defy the odds and escape Hitler's clutches - or die. This is a brilliantly written and plotted book, one that has me asking SO many questions, and has left me greatly anticipating the next novel! Highly recommended.

What She Left
What She Left
by T. R. Richmond

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice's aftermath............................., 28 April 2015
This review is from: What She Left (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Started this yesterday and read it all in one sitting - absolutely could not put it down! 'What She Left' by T.R. Richmond is the story of Alice Salmon - her life, loves, friends, family, and ultimately, her death. We only ever know as much about a person as they wish to reveal to us, and this becomes apparently clear in Alice's story. Dealing with the aftermath of her death leaves those who knew her reeling - what really happened.............and why?
I think that whenever we lose someone, there's the guilt, the blame, the helplessness, the 'what-if's', and as the story unfolds, there are so many unanswered questions, so much unsaid, undone, unfinished. There is media intrusion, twisted words, obsession, darkness, love, hate, torment - and ultimately, one inescapable fact - Alice is dead. This book scratches away at the surface and reveals the dark side, the hurt, the self-loathing, that lies within, and leaves an ache in my heart for Alice that I can't ignore. There are twists and turns galore in this superbly written book - I thought I had it all worked out, but I was so wrong. I hurt for Alice, I hate the way she became public property after her death, that people could speculate and criticise and basically destroy her, when they never even knew her is just so wrong to me. This book has left me with much to think about, and I know it is one that I will return to again. Highly recommended.

Early Warning (Last Hundred Years Trilogy 2)
Early Warning (Last Hundred Years Trilogy 2)
by Jane Smiley

2.0 out of 5 stars A struggle to read for me....................................., 26 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried to like this - I really did, but it is SUCH hard work, in my opinion. It has a large cast of characters, none of whom I could identify with, or even like, and there was just nothing to hold my attention, or interest me in any way. It's a family saga, (The Langdon family) in three parts, and 'Early Warning (Last Hundred Years Trilogy) is the second part of the three. I haven't read the first book, and won't be reading the third, unfortunately. There is a lot of political history here, the Kennedys, the Vietnam War, and the effects on the lives of the Langdon Family, the loss of life suffered, the stresses endured, the changing face of America, and yet I just couldn't actually get into the book at all. There are so many characters that I got confused about who was who, and although the family tree is useful, I found it a little annoying, having to keep referring to it! When I read the synopsis of the book before ordering it, I thought that I would find it very interesting and absorbing to read, but it just didn't get there for me. I am a little disappointed by my reaction, as I feel that I ought to have liked this book - it has all the ingredients that interest me usually - and so I am going to leave it for the moment, and go back to it in the future. Maybe it's just not for me, I just struggled with it so much.

I'm Travelling Alone
I'm Travelling Alone
by Samuel Bjork

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark and Deadly.........................................., 24 April 2015
This review is from: I'm Travelling Alone (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'I'm Travelling Alone' by Samuel Bjork is a dark, intense, intriguing thriller that had me on the edge of my seat! It's twisted, brilliantly plotted, full of flawed, imperfect characters, and superbly written. A little girl is found hanging from a tree with a notice around her neck stating 'I'm Travelling Alone'. She is dressed in dolls clothes, has been bathed, and carries a backpack. Then, another little girl is found. The words 'Serial Killer' are on everyone's lips, and the police are struggling to get ahead. Holger Munch is in charge, and he wants Mia Kruger back on his team. Mia has taken herself away from the world and everything she knew, to a remote island where she can be alone whilst she formulates her plans to rejoin her sister, Sigrid. Mia has given up on life, but is dragged reluctantly back by Holger Munch to use her knowledge and experience to crack the case known as 'the Babes in the Woods'. As the case developes, it becomes more personal, closer to home, as Munch and Kruger try to delve into the mind of a psycho killer, and stop any more little girls from being killed. As the killer taunts the police by playing a deadly game of cat and mouse, another thread is uncovered - a church that claims to be Christian has set up and is perhaps not all that it seems. The clock is ticking, the clues are there, but they have to be solved. Little lives are being snatched away, from under everyone's noses. There are false trails, surprises and shocks galore in this brilliant novel, and I loved it! I want to read more about Holger Munch, Mia Kruger and the team as I was completely fascinated by them! I do love imperfect heroes and heroines! I love that they have their own issues, their own demons to overcome, and that, Mia particularly is a tormented soul. I'm a fan of Stieg Larsson, Jo Nesbo, and this is right up there with them, in my opinion. Highly recommended.

A Year of Marvellous Ways
A Year of Marvellous Ways
by Sarah Winman

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, mystical Marvellous Ways.............................., 21 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh Wow!! What an amazing book 'A Year of Marvellous Ways' by Sarah Winman is! I had already read her previous novel, 'When God Was a Rabbit', which I absolutely loved, and so hoped that this latest work would be right up there...................and it is!! It is a magical, mystical, hypnotic, beautifully descriptive, deep and profound, life-affirming book that has left me bereft that it is ended! There is so much contained within the pages of this book - love, hope, longing, life, passion, loss - and an old woman looking at the end of her life, and a young man, trying to find his way through his life. Their paths cross, their visions entwine, and their lives are enriched by each other. This is a truly beautiful, well-written, gorgeously depicted story from two very different characters at very different stages of their lives, but who find within each other all that they are seeking. Questions are asked and answered, loves are lost and found, lives are filled with meaning, and hope - there is ALWAYS hope, no matter how dark the night, the day WILL dawn, the sun WILL rise, life goes on. I loved this book, and whole-heartedly recommend it.

Coming Up Roses
Coming Up Roses
by Rachael Lucas

5.0 out of 5 stars Village Life..........................., 18 April 2015
This review is from: Coming Up Roses (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
lovely, lovely, lovely!! 'Coming Up Roses' by Rachael Lucas is a delightful tale of the village of Steeple St John, and its residents. Daisy Price is homeless, jobless, and now boyfriendless after finding her ex-best friend and her ex-boyfriend hooking up. She goes to stay at her parents' home, Orchard Villa in Steeple St John whilst they are away travelling the world, so that she can lick her wounds and sort her life out. The plan is to quietly hide away until things settle down. That IS the plan, but of course, reality is always different, and Daisy finds herself embroiled in village affairs before she knows it! Orchard Villa has a beautiful, though unkempt and neglected garden, and Daisy, who is a gardener, decides to take it in hand. She makes friends with Tom, one of the older residents who it turns out, actually worked on the garden at Orchard Villa originally, and with his help, they soon have things underway. Daisy also makes friends with Elaine, a lady who is not as brittle as she first appears, and Jo, both of whom have issues of their own to sort out. Throw into the mix Ned, the handsome vet, George, the charming Irishman, property developers, village fetes, allotments, unfaithful husbands, and you have the perfect ingredients for a lovely story! This is a charming, well-written book with characters that I really like, a storyline that kept me interested, and made me care, and lots of food and drink, which is always good!! I thoroughly enjoyed this book, and want to read more of Rachael Lucas's work on the strength of this lovely novel. Highly recommended.

Secrets of the Singer Girls
Secrets of the Singer Girls
by Kate Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopes and Dreams............................., 16 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Secrets of the Singer Girls' by Kate Thompson is set in the East End of London in 1942, and tells the story of the girls who worked at Trouts, a factory making bandages/dressings etc for the soldiers in the War. These girls are warm-hearted, strong, and are known for their singing whilst they operate their Singer sewing machines - hence the name. They are a close-knit community, and when Poppy comes to join them, she finds their closeness a little intimidating, until she is accepted as one of their own. These girls work long hours, love, laugh, live, fight, squabble, succeed and fail, and manage to maintain themselves throughout all the difficulties surrounding them. Vera is the indomitable forelady - strict, stern, but fair, and her younger sister Daisy is the undisputed beauty of the girls, who yearns for more than the East End can offer her. She wants love, excitement, travel - and with her best pal Sal, these two keep the factory entertained! Sal has her own story to tell, being married to a despicable man who she is trying to escape from. She has evacuated her two small sons to Devon to escape the bombings, and dreams of a more peaceful life with them. Poppy has her own demons, and must face up to them at some point. There is triumph and much tragedy in this book, in particular the Bethnal Green Tube Disaster on 3rd March 1945, which was largely unrecognised at the time due to cover-ups, but which had a profound and lasting effect on the East End. There is so much contained within the pages of this book, hopes, dreams, fears, loves, loyalties, friendships, sadness, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Highly recommended.

The Chosen Queen (Queens of the Conquest 1)
The Chosen Queen (Queens of the Conquest 1)
by Joanna Courtney

5.0 out of 5 stars Brave men and Strong women............................., 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Chosen Queen (Queens of the Conquest 1)' by Joanna Courtney has just entirely rocked my world! I couldn't put it down, and as the story unfolded before my eyes, I found myself completely captivated by Edyth (the Queen of the title), Svana, and of course Harold. This is the kind of history that I LOVE!! Not just dates and facts, but the behind-the-scenes stories - what they did, what they ate, how they felt, who they loved - all the important things that make these people REAL!! Anglo-Saxon England is such a fascinating time of change - violent, unpredictable, strong, brave, harsh - but NEVER boring! I love the strong women, who supported their men and held their heads high whatever the outcome. The lives that these people led were sometimes brief - but full of challenge and discovery. Harold and Edyth have a very chequered past, and a strong connection that took them all the way to the throne of England. They were beset by troubles - within their own court, and outside. They had to contend with Viking invasion, and of course, William of Normandy (the Conqueror, as he became known to history later). There is so much contained within this book that kept me intrigued and captivated, and wanting more. It is exciting, and also very moving in parts, and the battlefield descriptions had me in tears at times. I absolutely LOVED this book, can't wait for the next one and would like to congratulate Joanna Courtney for making history come alive through her writing. Highly recommended.

Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food 800 g (Pack of 4)
Go-Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food 800 g (Pack of 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars cats love it........................., 11 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, 1 bag down, 3 to go!! My kitties absolutely LOVE this Go Cat Crunchy and Tender Kitten Dry Cat Food!! It is perfect for little tiny mouths and teeth, being very small pieces that are easily manageable. The food is crunchy - the kittens had a great time munching at it - and has softer pieces in it as well. We trialled the Chicken & Vegetable flavour, and our senior cat also enjoyed it very much!! I have found in the past that the vegetable component isn't always popular with my cats - but not so with this!! They all enjoyed every last morsel, and we are now on bag 2, so I think we can say it is a success!! I was impressed that the bag was actually full of food, and not all packaging as is sometimes the case - and I think that this food is a healthy, cost effective way to nourish my cats, so happily recommend it. They like it, and that is the important thing for me!cats love it

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20