Profile for laineyf > Reviews

Content by laineyf
Top Reviewer Ranking: 779

laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Dust that Falls from Dreams
The Dust that Falls from Dreams
by Louis de Bernieres

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams crumble into Dust..................................., 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Dust that Falls from Dreams' by Louis de Bernieres is the new novel by the author of 'Captain Corelli's Mandolin' and therefore is something that I was really looking forward to reading. I was not disappointed! It is the story of Rosie McCosh, her sisters Christabel, Ottilie and Sophie, and their friends, the Pitt boys who live on one side, and the Pendennis boys who live on the other side. The families are the 'pals' and grow up together. Rosie and Ashbridge Pendennis fall in love, and make their plans for their future whilst the shadow of the Great War looms ominously over them. Each family is affected by the War, each suffers immense tragedy in their own way, and have to deal with the repercussions. The aftermath of the War is felt by all, happiness is elusive, dreams crumble into dust. Life is short, unpredictable, and love must be snatched at. This book is profoundly moving, beautifully descriptive, with a cast of memorable characters that linger in one's memory long after the last page has been turned. I loved it, and highly recommend it.

From Puppy to PERFECT: A proven, practical guide to training and caring for your new puppy
by Janet Menzies

5.0 out of 5 stars instructive, informative and so helpful......................, 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a 4 months old lab/gsd puppy who is proving to be a bit of a handful, so when I saw 'From puppy to PERFECT.....' by Janet Menzies, I thought it may be able to give me some directives/pointers .............................. and I was right!! This book is absolutely brilliant, is loaded with information/tips/help/advice, and gives an insight into not only the owner's viewpoint, but also the dog's perspective, which I found to be very refreshing and informative. We have had puppies before, and they grew into beautiful, loving dogs with different needs and requirements, but who basically needed the same boundaries and understanding, and this book enabled me to understand and appreciate this. The book takes you through thinking about introducing a puppy into your life, to actually welcoming one into your home, and helping both the puppy and yourself to love, understand and appreciate each other. It shows how to stop unwelcome behaviour, how to encourage good behaviour, deals with the over-exuberance that a puppy can show, explains WHY they do some of the things that they do, and how to deal with it. It does not condone bad behaviour on the part of the dog or the owner, and explains why training and socialising is so important for the dog and the owner. I have read it cover to cover, found some very useful information which I have been able to put into practice, thereby helping myself and my puppy to get to know each other, and accept each other, and to enjoy each other's company - which can only be a good thing, in my opinion. Regardless of whether you have owned a puppy before or not, or even if you are just thinking about sharing your life with one, then this book can help you. Highly recommended.

Tefal Prelude Stainless Steel Kettle, 1.7 Litre, 3000 W, Silver
Tefal Prelude Stainless Steel Kettle, 1.7 Litre, 3000 W, Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars sleek, stylish and speedy........................., 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was so happy to receive this, as my kettle had just about given up the ghost!! The Tefal Prelude Stainless Steel Kettle is sleek, stylish and speedy! It has a 1.7litre capacity, a rapid boil facility at 3000w, and has a dual water gauge. It also comes with a removable, washable scale filter, which is definitely an added bonus! It looks good, the lid stays cool to the touch, and the excess cord is stored in the base of the unit, which is something that I like. To fill the kettle, there is a button to depress and the lid fully opens, which again, I like. It is a good, solid construction, will fit nicely into any kitchen with it's lovely brushed steel finish, and is quiet when in use, another asset I think. It is fully automatic, switching itself off when the water has boiled, which with this kettle, does not take very long! I really like this product, it is an asset in my kitchen, is powerful, quiet, quick, safe and has a good size capacity - all things I like. I'm very happy with it, and happy to recommend it.

Rexel Mercury RSX1834 Cross Cut Shredder
Rexel Mercury RSX1834 Cross Cut Shredder
Offered by 3WM Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars effective piece of equipment.........................., 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fantastic!! This Rexel Mercury RSX1834 Cross Cut Shredder is a powerful, effective piece of equipment that performs efficiently with minimum noise. When it arrived and I saw the size of the box, I was a little surprised as I thought it was going to be massive, but, after unpacking I found it to be not as big as it originally looked, which was a bit of a relief! It IS big, but not too bulky, and sits nicely and unobtrusively in the room. It is in fact intended for office use, shredding up to 18 documents at a time, as well as credit cards and cd's - so can cope well with personal stuff. It is easy to use, comes with comprehensive instructions, and also comes with a bag which you put inside the bin for collection. The bin is capacious, and holds a good amount of shredding. The unit will not operate if the bin is full, and will cut out automatically if it overheats and will not restart until it has cooled down sufficiently. It also comes with an oil sheet which is used to lubricate the mechanism and keep it running smoothly, which is an added bonus in my opinion. I really like this shredder, and am very happy to recommend it.

The Foundling's War
The Foundling's War
by Michel Déon

4.0 out of 5 stars scintillating Paris....................., 6 July 2015
This review is from: The Foundling's War (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Foundling's War' by Michel Deon and translated by Julian Evans is the follow-up novel to 'The Foundling Boy' which I haven't read. I think that in order to appreciate this book wholly, it would be a good idea to read the first book and gain some kind of continuity. I thought 'The Foundling's War' to be a funny, witty look at life in France in 1940, during the German occupation. It is, of course, a serious situation, but somehow, life goes on, and the author manages to portray a sense of humour throughout - which I liked. Life for Jean Arnaud and his friend Palfy moves through a series of events - love, heartache, glimpses of death, brutality, humour - and Paris scintillates in the background. I found the book to be a little slow at times - a little too much unnecessary detail - but this could be a language/translation thing. I liked it, and think that I will read 'The Foundling Boy' which may give me a better insight into the story and then re-read this one, and I think that I may then appreciate the story more than I did.

BETA Adult  Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg
BETA Adult Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog Food, 12 kg

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems for my GSD with this................................., 3 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Got this BETA Adult Shepherds & Setters with Lamb Dry Dog food for our 4 year old GSD. Cassie is a notoriously picky eater, and has quite a sensitive digestion, which can cause problems with some foods. She is also a big girl, and very active, so needs quality nourishment to maintain her health. The kibble is a decent size, not sticky textured as some can be we have found, and doesn't smell musty, as some does. Cassie enjoyed it and cleared her bowl, and there were no nasty after-effects (she has been known to throw her food up immediately after eating it in the past). The food makes many promises, which I can neither confirm or deny in the timeframe we have been feeding it, but as a GSD Cassie is very prone to arthritis/hip problems, and this food supports active mobility, so that has to be a bonus. She has been eating it with no problems for 2 weeks now, and her digestion has not suffered, so for me, it's a success. She likes it, so I do. Recommended.

The Serpent Papers (The Serpent Papers Trilogy)
The Serpent Papers (The Serpent Papers Trilogy)
by Jessica Cornwell

3.0 out of 5 stars Too clever for me, I'm afraid......................, 3 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Serpent Papers' by Jessica Cornwell intrigued me when I first got it, and so I was looking forward to being transported through time into a murderous, chilling and very clever story. Unfortunately, for me, this book was just a little TOO clever, so much so that it didn't hold my interest, and I found myself skipping over great swathes of the story. There was just too much detail for me, too much background cleverness, and not enough focus on the actual present day. To be fair, I am sure that the fault lies with me as I am not an academic, just someone who loves to read. The book is very well-written, obviously meticulously researched and plotted........................but just not my thing. I struggled with it, and am left feeling dissatisfied because I just couldn't maintain interest. Perhaps I will try it again at a later date, and hopefully will appreciate it more.

The Incarnations
The Incarnations
by Susan Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating..........................., 1 July 2015
This review is from: The Incarnations (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh Wow!! 'The Incarnations' by Susan Barker is a story that spans time, weaving through countless lives lived by Wang, a taxi driver in Beijing in 2008. What lives he has lived!! We go back over a thousand years, through wars, sorcery, madness, love, treachery, betrayal, power, passion, lust, and every emotion known to man! We see how Wang has evolved over the centuries, the lessons that he has learned, and the truths that have been revealed to him. We also see the mistakes made, obsessions that have taken root in his psyche, demons that have not been exorcised by time. This is a harsh, brutal, violent glimpse into re-incarnation, full of murder, sex, intrigue, lies, deceit, and I found it to be utterly compelling. It is so hard to put into words the way that this book impacted upon me - I was just unable to stop reading it! It has shock factor, it has cruelty, it has adventure and misadventure in abundance. It has everything, and kept me fascinated until the very end. I won't say that it is enjoyable - that is not the right word to describe this book - but it is compulsive reading, and brilliant writing, in my opinion. It is beautifully descriptive, so intelligently plotted, and is a story to ponder over - it definitely made me think, and could lead to some fascinating discussion I feel. Highly recommended.

Dear Daughter
Dear Daughter
by Elizabeth Little

5.0 out of 5 stars strangely compelling............................., 29 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Dear Daughter (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Dear Daughter' by Elizabeth Little is a roller-coaster ride alongside Janie Jenkins as she gets her first taste of freedom for 10 years, after being jailed for the murder of her mother! Jane is the 'poor little rich kid' who never knew her father, who was brought up by her indolent, spoilt mother, and who feels that she was short-changed by the world! She had it all........................and then finally snapped and killed her mother. Or did she? The evidence is very much against her, and on her release, Jane decides to do some investigating of her own into the circumstances surrounding her mother's death, and her own subsequent conviction. This is a compulsive, intriguing tale, that keeps you guessing all along - I kept changing my mind on what I THOUGHT had happened - and then, right when I thought I'd figured it out.................I hadn't!! Jane is a great lead character, being wilful, conniving, spoilt and manipulative, but somehow likeable in a strange way. I wanted to know more about the sister towns - I really liked the premise of the 'ghost town' - and I found the cast of supporting characters to be weird and wacky enough to keep me involved. I liked the way that the story twisted and turned, leading me in one direction and then doubling back on itself, which I found kept my interest. I really enjoyed this book, it engaged me from the beginning, and kept my interest right up to the end, so for me, it's a winner!! Recommended.

Tell the Wolves I'm Home
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
by Carol Rifka Brunt

5.0 out of 5 stars sensitive and strong........................, 25 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Tell the Wolves I'm Home' by Carol Rifka Brunt had me totally spellbound. June is 14 years old, has a 16 year old sister Greta, and lives with her parents. Greta is petite, popular, and is talented at acting and singing. June is none of those things. June's best friend is her Uncle Finn, her Mother's brother, who understands her, listens to her, and is always there for her. Finn dies, and the cause of his death is not discussed, but his 'special friend' Toby is held responsible by Finns' family. June meets Toby secretly, and discovers that things are never as they seem, that there is a part of Finns' life that she had no idea about, and that we only ever know as much about a person as they want us to know. As Finn and Toby's secrets are revealed, June realises that her image of her Uncle is not real - it is not who he was. She has to face up to reality - her Uncle's and her own - and discovers just how wrong you can be, how blind you can be, and how love changes everything, and everybody. I found this book to be such a moving and powerful story - it made my heart ache - and I hurt for Finn and Toby very much, and I really felt for June, trying to come to terms with her Uncles' sexuality, and also trying to understand her own adolescent love for him. In my opinion, the spectre of AIDS is dealt with very poignantly, lurking throughout the story as it does. This book is beautifully written, well told, and is also sensitive and strong. I really liked it, and recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20