Profile for laineyf > Reviews

Content by laineyf
Top Reviewer Ranking: 818

laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Losing It
Losing It
by Helen Lederer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, frothy and fabulous............................., 30 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Losing It (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well, speaking as a 50+, overweight, chaotic, dippy woman - I totally empathised with Millie in this story!! 'Losing It' by Helen Lederer had me laughing out loud, cringing slightly at times, and totally feeling it!! It's fun, frothy and fabulous - a big shout-out to women everywhere who are fighting their flab, their years, and their hormones! I can recognise myself and my friends in this novel, and really feel for Millie in her struggle to drop the pounds - I have been there!! It's ultimately a feel-good, empowering story, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I like Helen Lederer, like her comedy, her acting, and now her writing, and I look forward to reading more from her. Go Girl!! Happily recommended.

My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
My Grandmother Sends Her Regards and Apologises
by Fredrik Backman

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, magical fantasy ride.................................., 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh I loved this!! I wasn't sure about it when I requested it, but it sounded just oddly off the wall enough to appeal to me..................and it certainly did! Elsa is the heroine of the story, the princess, the knight, the special child. She and her Grandmother have an unshakeable, unbreakable bond that transcends anything and everything - death included! They have their own world, peopled by their own creations, with their own language - and it is amazing! When Granny dies, Elsa is lost, and has to find her way back to Miamas (their world) without her champion, her Granny. However, all is not as it seems, Granny has unfinished business, which she has tasked Elsa with finishing for her. This little girl, everything that she goes through, moved me to tears on more than one occasion, whilst also making me laugh uproariously at times. The book is peopled with amazing characters, not least Wolfheart and the Wurse, both of whom I loved. There is of course, the redoubtable Granny, who is a force to be reckoned with! She has her own story to tell, but it is only after her death that all is revealed. This book is an enthralling, magical fantasy ride that had me completely captivated from beginning to end. My heart broke for Elsa and her loneliness, her treatment at school, and burst with pride at her bravery, her refusal to conform. I am left with a lovely, warm glow after reading this book, a feeling of satisfaction and well-being, and a belief in magic that I haven't felt since I was a child. This is a celebration of those who dare to be different, I feel, and I wholeheartedly recommend this fantastic book.

Carry You
Carry You
by Beth Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little gem of a story!!..........................., 27 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Carry You (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Loved this! 'Carry You' by Beth Thomas is an absolutely delightful, funny, sad, thoughtful, gorgeous little gem of a story! Daisy has lost her Mum to breast cancer, and is eaten up with remorse and guilt, and has lost herself entirely in her grief. Abby is her best friend, who refuses to just sit by and watch Daisy drown in her sorrow, but determines to help her find her life again. There is love, laughter, sadness, joy, strength and of course, tears, but this story is not depressing, it is uplifting, and beautiful. Everyone should have a friend like Abby, and it is in times of need that we truly find out who our friends really are, and Abby is indeed a rock for Daisy. It's not all one-sided though, and Daisy and Abby between them pull each other through the highs and lows, culminating in their 26 mile 'Moonwalk' for cancer charity. I loved this book - it is so beautifully and compassionately written, without ever being maudlin. I wept with Daisy when she read her Mum's letter, it moved me SO much. The characters are depicted perfectly, totally believable, and I laughed and cried with them. Any book that deals with grief walks a fine line, but I think that Beth Thomas has written a lovely life-affirming book, and it is one that I know I shall return to again and again. Very highly recommended.

The Dish
The Dish
by Stella Newman

5.0 out of 5 stars Frothy and delightful story......................, 25 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Dish (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Dish' by Stella Newman is a delightfully sweet, funny and endearing tale of Laura, an anonymous restaurant critic, who falls head over heels for Adam, the head chef at a restaurant that she mauled to death in her critique! Not the best start to a relationship - but there is SO much more to this story than that! Half-truths, buried emotions, best friends and family doling out advice, love, loss, laughter all abound in this lovely, light, frothy and yet moving foodie romance! Sit yourself down with some snacks, a frothy coffee or a glass - or bottle - of wine.................and enjoy. I did!! I loved this, thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and happily recommend it.

Bakers Dentacrunch Chicken & Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food, 1 kg, Pack of 4
Bakers Dentacrunch Chicken & Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food, 1 kg, Pack of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Munchy and Crunchy..........................., 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not a huge fan of Bakers products - I think that they are over-priced and not normally something that my dogs like - but this Bakers Dentacrunch Chicken & Country Vegetables Dry Dog Food has made me rethink my previous opinion! I received a pack of 4 x 1kg packs, and immediately gave some to my dogs to see their reaction. After some sniffing and wandering about, my Basset decided to dive in and sample the kibble - and she sat and munched and crunched her way through, obviously enjoying it! She can be a little greedy at times, swallowing her food without chewing it thoroughly, but she actually took time to chew this, and savoured it. She ate everything that she was given, and has done since, always happy to have more! Our GSD was a little more tentative, taking her time before sampling some. I was a little concerned about her, as she does sometimes have problems with some commercial foods, and her tummy can react, but once she got stuck in, she really enjoyed it! Again, she chewed and crunched, and then left it and came back later for more, which is something that she does, she likes to graze! I'm happy to say that there have been no adverse effects, no tummy upsets, just 2 dogs happy to crunch! Their dental hygiene is good, and this food is being marketed as an aid to that, so I have no problems in giving it to my dogs. If they like it, then I do - and they do!!

Oral B Vitality Plus Trizone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
Oral B Vitality Plus Trizone Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush

5.0 out of 5 stars and am so pleased with the end result, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used Oral B electric toothbrushes for some years now, and this Vitality Plus Trizone is a replacement for a previous model. It comes well packaged, with a charger and 2 brush heads, which is an added bonus. The toothbrush is a sturdier, more stocky type, as is the brush head that I am using currently, but WOW - it gets to all those hard-to-reach areas, REALLY cleans, and leaves my teeth, gums and mouth feeling so fresh and clean! I can definitely feel a difference in cleaning power, and am so pleased with the end result. My teeth are a priority for me, and so I am always on the lookout for products that can help to prolong their health and well-being, and I feel that this toothbrush can definitely do that. The fact that there are two brush heads extends the life of the product, so it is very cost-effective also. I am very happy with this toothbrush, its performance and its effectiveness, and am happy to recommend it.

The Rocks
The Rocks
by Peter Nichols

5.0 out of 5 stars and the beautiful description made me want to go there, 18 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Rocks (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Rocks' by Peter Nichols is mainly set on the island of Mallorca, and the beautiful description made me want to go there! I found this novel to be SO descriptive, loved the olive trees, the lemon and orange groves, the pure 'Mediterranean-ness' of it all! Gerald Rutledge and Lulu Davenport are the main characters, and the book is about their brief marriage, and their journey through life both together and apart. The book basically tells the story backwards - so that we meet the characters when they are older, and look back over their lives, and the events that they lived through. There's adventure, love, passion, intrigue, unrequited love, unfulfilled dreams, disappointment - this book has so much contained in it! Gerald's daughter, Aegina, and Lulu's son, Luc are key characters with issues of their own, which we discover as the story unfolds. At the heart of the story lies 'The Rocks' - where everyone who is anyone congregates, and C'an Cabrer, the villa that Gerald has called home for many years. I liked Gerald - he is a decent man, a dreamer, someone that appreciates what he has, and I found Lulu to be extremely shallow and vain, but somehow quite fascinating also. I can see how this book may not appeal to everyone, but it did to me - I really sank into it, and savoured it.

No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome 2)
No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome 2)
by Sarah Hilary

5.0 out of 5 stars Harsh, brutal.......................compulsive reading, 13 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Read this in one sitting - absolutely could not put it down until I reached the end! 'No Other Darkness' by Sarah Hilary had me captivated from the opening sentence until the closing one! It is a taut, gripping thriller, delving into psychosis, insanity and darkness, peopled by control freaks, tormented souls and lost children. It is sad, upsetting, harsh and brutal, harrowing to watch events unfold, and left me with a mixed bag of emotions after the roller-coaster ride through it's pages. DI Marnie Rome is a brilliant, flawed, tormented main character, someone that I really like and would always want on my side if I were in trouble. She comes with baggage, of course, and is as imperfect as the rest of us, but she carries the story so well, is so strong when she needs to be, and yet also kind and compassionate, and completely believable. This book is so well-written, so descriptive, graphic without gratuitous violence, and just so GOOD!! I found it to be compulsive reading, thought-provoking and also very sad, and highly recommend it.

The Lovers of Amherst
The Lovers of Amherst
by William Nicholson

4.0 out of 5 stars 'The Lovers of Amherst' by William Nicholson is a beautiful story set in two timelines - 1881 and 2013, 13 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Lovers of Amherst (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Lovers of Amherst' by William Nicholson is a beautiful story set in two timelines - 1881 and 2013. In 1881, Mabel Todd arrives in Amherst, Massachusetts with her husband, David. Mabel is young, beautiful, and bored, and quickly becomes a leading light in Amherst's society. She becomes friendly with Sue Dickinson, and meets her husband, Austin. Austin is a very well-respected, highly regarded man in Amherst, and is also the brother of Emily Dickinson, the poet and recluse. Austin and Mabel flout convention, both drawn irrevocably to each other, and Emily is always there, listening, watching, writing her poems.
In 2013, Alice Dickinson, - no relation - travels to Amherst to research the story of Austin and Mabel, and of course Emily, and to uncover the real story behind the great love affair. What Alice uncovers has a profound effect on her, revealing depths to her character that she did not know existed, with reflections of Emily, Austin and Mabel all around her.
I really liked this book, it was full of lovely description, genteel and yet a little risqué also - David and Mabel practised an 'open' marriage which I found surprising, and some of Emily's poetry was full of innuendo - and I intend to read the other books in this collection.

Winnie the Bold! (Winnie the Witch)
Winnie the Bold! (Winnie the Witch)
by Laura Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars We love to read Winnie's adventures, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very welcome addition to my grandaughters' Winnie the Witch collection! We love to read Winnie's adventures, and this book contains not 1, but 4 delightful stories! The print is big and bold, and very easy to read, and the illustrations are wonderful! Gabriella's favourite story was 'Winnie's New Kitten', but she enjoyed all of the adventures! This story collection is fun, bright and will appeal to young readers everywhere, I feel. It's a joy to read, and to share with your little ones, and to see the delight on their faces at Winnie's adventures is just lovely to behold. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20