Profile for Agatha Christie > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Plaque Off Dog, 60 g
Plaque Off Dog, 60 g

5.0 out of 5 stars You really have to buy this, it TOTALLY works., 15 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Plaque Off Dog, 60 g (Misc.)
This stuff is fantastic. Both my dogs had plaque build up, the younger one especially so and I wasn't really sure why because I don't feed them any rubbish or sugary human treats. The front canines were brown stained and they both had quite substantial build up on their front back teeth. I tried brushing but its so hit and miss and they hate it - and the taste of the toothpaste. I bought Plaque off after one of my friends had had some success so i thought it was worth a try. After about 2-3 months I am stunned at how lovely their teeth are now. I wish I had taken before and after pictures. They now have white teeth, healthy gums and just a tiny bit of staining at the very top of the front canines which I am sure will go eventually too. I really don't understand the negative reviews, both my dogs are a bit sensitive tummy wise, but the scoop is so tiny, you can't believe such a small amount will do anything (and the pot lasts for ages too).
But this is what I think is important.
1) Make sure you give it to them EVERYDAY.
2) Try to encourage the chewing of stag bars, sterile bones, plastic chews, or even give then dry food now and again - anything to help disperse the loosened plaque.
3) Don't give them the plaque off and keep feeding them junk. I wonder if some of the negative reviews are because the tartar is building up faster than the plaque off can work.
After another month or so I am going to put them on a 'maintenance' dose. Yes, their teeth are that good now. I am hoping I can maintain the great teeth with a dose every other day. I'll be buying this forever now, its refreshing to find something that actually does do what it says on the tin.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great boots, 14 Dec. 2015
Cosy and smart.

55 Christmas Balls to Knit: Colourful Festive Ornaments
55 Christmas Balls to Knit: Colourful Festive Ornaments
by Arne Nerjordet

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying despite a few niggles, 10 Nov. 2011
First let me say I do love this book and it is really a great addition to any crafty bookshelf. So let me get out of the way what I don't like. The instructions are severely lacking here. The small size of the projects would make them ideal for beginners to get started with knitting in the round, but there are no instructions for knitting over double pointed needles. It just assumes you can do this so beginners will need another book. I doesn't tell you how to change colours, if you don't know how to do this, again you will need another book. It only gives one method of increasing and one of decreasing, which is not the easiest method and really its nicer to have options. Also none of the patterns have the rows numbered - this is a major pain and you have to resort to writing it on yourself. It would also be great if the basic pattern would fold out so that you could reference it when following the charts.
Despite all that I love this book. The patterns a super cute and imaginative and even using simple colours the baubles look really effective and traditionally christmassy. There is also a blank template at the back so you can make your own designs.
The lack of instructions hasn't affected me cuz I can knit in the round and change colours etc., I just think they are missing a trick as this would be a great book for beginners as many knitting patterns take a long time to complete and these baubles relatively quick to knit and are a great primer for knitting socks.

Crochet Techniques (Milner Craft)
Crochet Techniques (Milner Craft)
by Renate Kirkpatrick

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful addition to your crochet library., 9 Nov. 2009
This is a lovely book. There are many crochet how-to books aimed at the beginner but there is less choice when you want something that will take you beyond the basics. I'd recommend this book to any intermediate or advanced crochet addicts, who are looking for something beyond the granny square variations that many books outline. Looking through the samples I've discovered so many new stitches and combinations (using regular crochet and tunisian crochet) that I have not seen in any other book and the two-tone rugs that you can create with these techniques look fabulous. Each pattern has the usual instructions, and also has a stitch diagram for those that prefer to follow patterns that way.
There are five rugs/afghans to make, three using regular crochet, and the other two using tunisian crochet techniques. Each rug being made up of several squares - each one teaching you a new pattern.

The vast majority of the stitches and samples in this book have a very contemporary slant bringing crochet right into the 21st century where it belongs! I love crochet, and I do knit too, but I hate the way that crochet always seems the poor relation with dated and dowdy patterns. Well no more. The bottom right of the book cover shows a fantastic blanket that can be produced by following a colour chart and using just single crochet (or doublecrochet if you favour the UK terminology).
The other thing I love about this book is that all the way through it gives the UK and US terminology for the stitches. Most people have a preference and this book saves you from doing the translation in your head all the time!
I was a bit apprehensive about the price of this book but I think it is worth every penny.
There are patterns in here that beginners can do, although I do think that if you have a bit more experience with the crochet hook then you will appreciate this book all the more!

Woven Wire Jewelry: Contemporary Designs and Creative Techniques (Beadwork How-To)
by Linda Chandler

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy book for any wireworker, 9 Oct. 2009
This is a lovely book, and makes a great job of teaching you how to do basic weaves to great and stunning effects in jewellery. It is let down by the lack of variety of weaves and the fact that the 'gallery' section (which I assume is for inspiration purposes) shows a couple of beautiful weaves that the book does not teach you. That little disappointment aside this is still a favourite book of mine. Once you have learnt the basic technique the weaves are quite easy but look incredible. If you are interested in any form of wirewrapping jewellery then I would recommend this book.

Working with Precious Metal Clay (Jewellery Handbooks)
Working with Precious Metal Clay (Jewellery Handbooks)
by Tim McCreight

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't expect too much., 8 Oct. 2009
This could have been a really nice book, but it is badly let down by the fact that the step-by-step guides for making the items are small cartoon drawings rather than photos. It doesn't give enough information in each of the steps for beginners, and advanced users would be a bit bored by the content. Each piece that you can create only has a very small photo, so if you enjoy good quality glossy photos in a craft book then you will be disappointed with this - I know I was.

Engleby
Engleby
by Sebastian Faulks

1.0 out of 5 stars Starts off slow and gradually grinds to a halt., 24 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Engleby (Paperback)
I have to agree with the other 1 and 2 star reviews for this book. What is it that people are raving about? Engleby is a loner who has trouble forming any kind of relationships, even with his family. When the girl he has been constantly fixated about goes missing its no great leap to see that he must have been the one to kill her. Thank goodness I was listening the audiobook rather than reading it (unfortunately I went for the unabridged version, when a lot could have been cut out with no impact on the book). If I'd been reading it for myself it would have been a real slog to finish it. I kept waiting for the twist, hoping that all the obvious deductions I'd made where incorrect but no. The only surprise with this book is how many people see to have thought it was good.

Muffins Galore
Muffins Galore
by Catherine Atkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, easy recipes too., 14 April 2009
This review is from: Muffins Galore (Paperback)
This is a lovely muffin baking cookbook, with some fabulous recipes. The book is split into different sections like chocolate muffins, nut and spice muffins; fruit muffins, savoury muffins (you get the idea) and so far the two recipes I tried were yummy. They were Cinnamon swirl muffins and vanilla choc chip muffins. The majority of the recipes have a simple list of ingredients and very simple method (mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl, mix the wet ingredients in another bowl, then combine and put into cases and bake). The book is a UK published one so its all grams and mls, rather than the american measurement of 'cups', and for those very occasional hard to find items (like buttermilk), it gives an easy alternative. As a novice baker I've had no probs following the recipes and the results have been great. I can't wait to start another batch. Its a lovely book just to flick through as there are pictures I think for every recipe (a must for me), the hardest part is deciding what to try next!

Philips LivingColors Colour Changing Mood Lamp, with Remote Control
Philips LivingColors Colour Changing Mood Lamp, with Remote Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Smashing bit of kit, 10 Feb. 2009
This is a really lovely lamp and I've no regrets buying it. After trying it out in various places around the living room (you do need to experiment for the best placement), I ended up putting it behind my TV which sits in a large alcove. It easily illuminates the whole alcove and in a boring cream room the change is dramatic. It changes the mood of the room and its great to try to 'match' what you are watching on TV - watching a gardening program then stick it on a nice green!! The effect is like an 'ambilight' tv, but the colours are very strong and vibrant. It has a dimmer built-in and you can change the saturation of the colour so the possible combinations are endless. 4 stars instead of 5 is purely because of the price. But we all want things cheaper don't we!

Mystery Case Files: Millionheir (Nintendo DS)
Mystery Case Files: Millionheir (Nintendo DS)
Offered by The Game Collection -

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good when you get into it - addictive too!, 6 Feb. 2009
The title and case for this game is a bit misleading, but once I'd gotten over the disappointment that this was not another Professor Layton I started to enjoy the game. Basically, there is a 'Detective-style' story that you follow, but you never get involved in any real detection, analysis or problem-solving. Instead, you are asked to find 'clues' at various locations and these clues are hidden in incredibly detailed pictures. The items you search for have no bearing on the case in hand, for example, in one location you might have to find a gnome, tennis ball, pen, clock, kangaroo, wrench, football., etc etc). When you have found all the items in this location, you move to the next location. Its a bit like Where's Wally, but you are looking for objects, not Wally! The objects can be tricky to find and some are ingeniously hidden in the location. Its a simple concept and fairly addictive, but searching for these hidden objects is about 90% of the game. So if you don't like the sound of that it's probably not the game for you!

As you continue to find objects the background story unfolds, but the story moves along almost as a reward for you finding the required objects at each location. To add a bit of interest sometimes you need x-ray goggles or a torch to find the items, but ultimately it only holds your interest because of the ingenuity of how the items are hidden in the pictures. I'm not sure I'd say its relaxing to play as you can end up peering at the screen in frustration trying to find something!
I've given it 3 stars, but would have given it 3.5 to be fair.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3