Profile for Claire Hartnell > Reviews

Content by Claire Hartnell

Claire Hartnell (Herts, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Wedge
Wedge
Dvd

4.0 out of 5 stars it's dreamy and engaging and feels like pure Americana from the cucumber water to the summer ..., 7 Oct. 2014
Well, I am up to episode 4 and now clicking to next episode as a default. I'm still not sure what I think ... it's dreamy and engaging and feels like pure Americana from the cucumber water to the summer girl but do I empathise? Is there a single character who is likeable? I think the tranny dad (moppa) comes closest - and how brilliant to see this terrific actor shake off Hank?? But the rest are So ghastly. Are we to believe that their sexual incontinence is because they are deeply damaged by their FU ed upbringing or is this the norm in California? I feel pretty uncomfortable about the nudity because it feels dishonest. The girl with body issues walking around, naked. The bored housewife sharing a bathroom with her unloved husband, naked. The unattractive, narcissistic brother, rutting - old and young, beautiful and ugly, Asian and Caucasian. Feels dishonest ... but then that lilting, charming, unhistrionic mood catches you and you find yourself sailing along with them, a half smile at the corner of your mouth... not quite a 5 star for me but I can't quite put this family down.

Bona Wood Floor Refresher
Bona Wood Floor Refresher
Offered by etailz UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought floors up beautifully, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bona Wood Floor Refresher
Exactly what I wanted. Something to restore the shine and the waterproof layer on my fairly recently sanded floor. Agree that the shine wears off after a few weeks but that's to be expected.

Down to Earth: The Story of Gravity (Science Works)
Down to Earth: The Story of Gravity (Science Works)
by Jacqui Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4 year old loves it, 4 Feb. 2014
A perfect series of science books for young readers. My son is fascinated by science and loves these books. By turning the information into a narrative, it's easy to read as a bedtime story and I guarantee you will be deluged with questions as you turn each page.

How to Draw - Wild Horses (How to Draw Activity Books)
How to Draw - Wild Horses (How to Draw Activity Books)
by Lisa Regan

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what my daughter ordered, 4 Feb. 2014
My daughter loves this book and has spent her pocket money on good quality pencils so she can copy the pictures. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Twelve Years a Slave: Plus Five American Slave Narratives, Including Life of Frederick Douglass, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Life of Josiah Henson, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, Up From Slavery

5.0 out of 5 stars Devastating selection of stories, 4 Feb. 2014
I bought the book to read Twelve Years a Slave but was completely overwhelmed by the other accounts, particularly Uncle Tom's Cabin. The phrase 'Uncle Tom' has become such a form of disrespect that it had never occurred to me to seek out the source material. Having read it, I can see why this book galvanised people into fighting a war against slavery. It is a pitch perfect rendering of both sides of the argument (as much as there can be 2 sides to an argument about slavery) with the most inspiring array of characters. My heart was in my mouth as I read each chapter and the intensity of the threat towards each character increased then settled then increased again. This book should be compulsory GCSE material and I urge people to take every opportunity to read all the accounts contained here.

The Times and Sunday Times (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Times and Sunday Times (Kindle Tablet Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't refresh properly between editions, 3 Feb. 2013
It should be a nice replacement for the morning paper and I like the additional content that is not available in the app but when the damn thing doesn't even upload the most recent edition but keeps pushing last weekend's edition you have to wonder what you're paying for.

Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 1400 Watt, Titanium
Kenwood Chef Titanium KM010 4.6 Litre Kitchen Machine, 1400 Watt, Titanium

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 6 Dec. 2012
I bought this Kenwood earlier this year thinking it would be a miracle product. Although the balloon whisk is great, the K mix makes poor quality cakes. It is fiddly and awkward to scrape all the mixture from the K-mix into the bowl to ensure it is completely emulsified and if you increase the speed by a fraction, the mix turns to rubber and the cake is awful. The food processor is too small and poorly designed so that food gets stuck on the sides. The rubber feet underneath the machine have all broken or popped out in spite of being replaced after just 6 months.

I'm hugely disappointed because I love cooking and thought this would make perfect, light cakes when in fact it makes rubber bricks. I've gone back to hand mixing cakes and will probably buy a cheap processor to replace the rubbish one that came with this. Don't believe the hype.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 10, 2013 4:36 PM GMT

Dyson Flexi Crevice Tool - Fits all Dyson Vacuums
Dyson Flexi Crevice Tool - Fits all Dyson Vacuums
Offered by SPARES-2-GO

1.0 out of 5 stars crevice tool, 21 Sept. 2011
Was really disappointed with this tool. It is basically a slightly longer version of the existing crevice tool supplied with new Dysons when I thought it had some extra functionality. I wanted it for cleaning behind radiators but it is quite wide at the top and not that useful for this. I was also hoping to clean beams and pitched roof spaces but the tool is so bendy that it has no purchase and is really annoying to use. If you have an old Dyson with the circular crevice tool, you might find this tool useful but if (like me) you've just bought a new one, don't buy this tool. I would have sent it back but I recycled all the packaging and couldn't be bothered.

Tommee Tippee Suresound Classic Baby Monitor
Tommee Tippee Suresound Classic Baby Monitor

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, over-priced, 4 April 2011
Bought this as a cheap baby monitor for my 16 month old to see us through the last couple of months and it was useless. Couldn't get a signal anywhere in the house, very plasticky, no additional features. Spent £20 more and got a brilliant one from BT with lullabies / torch / temp control / voiceback etc; etc;

GP 2600mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries 4 Pack
GP 2600mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries 4 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars double aa batteries, 20 Jun. 2010
Work fine. PHone no longer cuts out. 6 for the price of 4 on my offer but I dropped one in the bin by mistake!

Page: 1 | 2