Profile for I,Hepple > Reviews

Our Kind of Traitor
Our Kind of Traitor
by John le Carré

5.0 out of 5 stars Another le Carre masterpiece., 28 July 2013
This review is from: Our Kind of Traitor (Paperback)
Another fine example of le Carre's storytelling. A master of cold war fiction he has been able to adapt and provide us with tales in a variety of settings. Only wish Smiley could make an appearance.

Another Day of Life (Penguin Modern Classics)
Another Day of Life (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Ryszard Kapuscinski

5.0 out of 5 stars Rwanda during the Portugese flight., 28 July 2013
Although Rwanda is now undergoing a remarkable resurgence many of us still try to understand what led to the horror that occured there. This is an intelligent accout of the Portugese evacuation. A gripping read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 2:02 PM BST

Hallelujah! I'm a Bum
Hallelujah! I'm a Bum

4.0 out of 5 stars What a cracking tune., 28 July 2013
This is not one of his better known songs. You do not have to be a Jolson fan to appreciate this tune.

Saturn's Children: How the State Devours Liberty and Prosperity
Saturn's Children: How the State Devours Liberty and Prosperity
by Dominic Hobson

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth another read, 28 July 2013
I had this book some time ago but loaned it to a friend. Well worth repurchasing it. It do accurately describes the danger of a large scale state.

Shake Hands With The Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
Shake Hands With The Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda
by Romeo Dallaire

4.0 out of 5 stars The true story of a genocide., 7 Mar. 2013
I enjoy history that provides me with the stories behind the headlines. This is a stunning example told by the UN Commander during the genocide in Rwanda. There is some chilling details but the real issue is how the UN failed to provide any meaningful intervention. If they could not agree to assist in such circumstances just when could they. This is a timely read if one has any interest in how the world will deal with failed states an the labyrynthian conflicts that seem to be on the increase.

Pol Pot: The History of a Nightmare
Pol Pot: The History of a Nightmare
by Philip Short

4.0 out of 5 stars History at its very best, 7 Mar. 2013
The Cambodian nightmare came under some scrutiny after the film "The Killing Fields" but I never fully grasped what led up to this event. This book fills in the gaps but, like myself, some readers will be intrigued by the character of Pol Pot. Behind one of the largest slaughters in history we do not find the monster we mighy expect.

Canon Powershot A1200 ( 12.7 MP,4 x Optical Zoom,2.7 -inch LCD )
Canon Powershot A1200 ( 12.7 MP,4 x Optical Zoom,2.7 -inch LCD )

5.0 out of 5 stars A economical but useful tool., 7 Mar. 2013
While I am not a great photographer I do have a digital SLR but find it too cumbersom for carrying about, I have looked for a small digital but I really wanted one that had a viewfinder. This really was a great solution and I am very impressed with the quality of the camera and the shots it produces.

Marseille (Innercities Cultural Guides)
Marseille (Innercities Cultural Guides)
by David Crackanthorpe

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me want to go there !, 11 Jan. 2013
Perhaps the best indicator of a book like this is when it makes you want to go there. This book covers all you will need to know about this fascinating city. I am now have a trip booked.

My Friend The Mercenary
My Friend The Mercenary
by James Brabazon

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story., 11 Jan. 2013
We often read bits about wars in Africa and I for one find some quite unfathomable. I found this first hand account of rebels fighting in Liberia truly engrossing.

Roads and Tracks of Britain
Roads and Tracks of Britain
by Christopher Taylor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 Dec. 2012
For anyone with an interest in this subject this book is a real must have. Some books like this can become dated but this one still adds to the subject.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4