Profile for Alison Thompson > Reviews

Content by Alison Thompson

Alison Thompson (Bangor, Down, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Hardwearing Red Black Cotton Rubber Machine Washable Dirt Catcher Barrier Mats
Hardwearing Red Black Cotton Rubber Machine Washable Dirt Catcher Barrier Mats

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard wearing, 15 Jan. 2014
This mat is easily washed and hard wearing. It is a good size for our back door and very good value.

Trail 8 Pole Extra Tall Windbreak, 15 Ft
Trail 8 Pole Extra Tall Windbreak, 15 Ft
Offered by Mighty Oak Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Really long!, 15 Jan. 2014
We used this lots during the summer on the beach. It is tall and long so gives lots of privacy and shelter. Great value.

William Armes Wrought Iron Effect  Mat 1/2 moon  75x45
William Armes Wrought Iron Effect Mat 1/2 moon 75x45

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks like wrought iron!, 15 Jan. 2014
This mat looks great at our front door. It's a good substantial size and it is wearing very well. Pleased.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective., 15 Jan. 2014
Our three year old has had these on her single bed since she moved in to it from her cot 6 months ago. I think they are brilliant.

Main plus points:
1. Inexpensive.
2. Less obtrusive that a traditional bed guard.
3. Nowhere for fingers to become trapped.
4. Soft so I can sit on them to read to her and she can easily climb over them when she is trying to get out of bed.
5. My daughter finds them very cosy and quite often goes to sleep snuggled up against them as they are soft and comfy.
6. Portable, in that they are light-weight, though they are still quite bulky. We have taken them in the car, though never tried them on an airplane.
7.They stay put! My daughter moves around a lot (including bouncing on the bed when awake!)and they do not move an inch and she is kept safe in bed.

The only minor negative point I would say is that it can be a stretch to get sheets over them. This would be easily fixed by buying inexpensive jersey sheets. I already had the sheets for my daughter's bed so I just stretch them over and make do. The sheets I use are single size Dunelm Mill sheets; the fitted sheet just about goes over and the flat sheets fits over fine. It really isn't an issue however. Even with the sheets being a tight fit I have had no issues with the sheets peeling off or with the bumpers moving.

All in all delighted and have recommended these to friends.

A First Book of Nature
A First Book of Nature
by Nicola Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need a child to be able to enjoy this book - it's universal, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: A First Book of Nature (Hardcover)
I would agree whole-heartedly with what everyone has said about this book. The illustrations are beautiful and the poetry and prose are lyrical to a degree that is not normally found in children's books. My daughter loves it and we read a few pages of it nearly every night. I love sharing in the delights of nature with her. The book is insightful and does not just touch on all the obvious things about nature that are dealt with ad infinitum by children's books, but the more subtle things too - an example of this would be that new born lambs wag their tails with happiness as they run around the fields in the springtime. This is an heirloom piece.

Munchkin Travel Booster Seat
Munchkin Travel Booster Seat

5.0 out of 5 stars A good booster seat for an older child., 15 Jan. 2014
We are using this seat as a booster seat for our 3 year daughter to help transition her from her high chair to a proper dining chair. As this is the case, she just sits on the seat rather than being strapped in.

The booster is the perfect height for the table, is easily portable and fits every seat we've tried it on. Our daughter likes it and seems to sit better on it than when she is sitting on a normal chair - I think this is because she is at the right height for the table. Anything that cuts down on the squirming around has to be a winner.

The only amendment I would make is that it would be ideal if the harness would come off entirely to allow it to be used as a booster for older children who don't need to be strapped in, as at the moment my daughter has to partly sit on the straps. This would give longevity to what is already a very good design.

Bigjigs Toys Wooden Food Crate
Bigjigs Toys Wooden Food Crate
Offered by Bigjigs Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but sweet., 15 Jan. 2014
These boxes are small but very well made and fit on my daughter's wooden shop a treat. She loves them.

Kenwood kMix KMX51 Stand Mixer - Raspberry Red
Kenwood kMix KMX51 Stand Mixer - Raspberry Red
Offered by Domestik Line Service

5.0 out of 5 stars A.MAZ.ING, 15 Jan. 2014
It's hard to admit this in public but I feel quite emotional when I talk about my new mixer. I love it so much I have assigned it a gender (she's a 'she' now)- in the manner of middle aged men and their cars - and I have given her a name (Bertha).

Nope, I've not gone off my trolley. I just waited a very long time for a stand mixer and now I have one I am so glad I chose the Kenwood Kmix. The.Best.Christmas.Present.Ever.

Now I have Bertha I can't stop baking. Any excuse to get her plugged in and hear that hard working engine purr is fine by me. All recipients of this non-stop baking have been very complimentary about mine and Bertha's efforts and I think him-indoors feels he is getting a suitably rewarding return on his investment.

Baking solo (or with the help of my three year old who likes pouring things (hopefully what she's supposed to though not always) in to the little hatch of the splash guard) is a newly rewarding task as I feel like I have a new mechanical helper in the kitchen. I really feel like I could throw any random collection of ingredients in and the Kmix would magically turn it into a cake (please do not try this at home).

Plus Points:
1. The machine is not over-engineered (a pet hate of mine). It is simple and does everything you need it to do using one bowl, 4 simple attachments and one button.
2. It is very easy to clean. No nooks and crannies for icing sugar and butter to congeal in to an indelible cement.
3. It is not noisy and sounds very smooth when in operation.
4. It makes very good bakes. I have very proudly produced the best victoria sponge I have ever made on this mixer and I thought my recipe couldn't be bettered (O:
5. It is very very pretty. Red? Yes. Shiny? Yes. Smooth and sleek? Yes. Makes you feel like a tv chef? Yes.

It's hard not to pretend to talk to Mel and Sue and imagine the smell of wet marquee blowing in the wind as I rustle up my latest creation. (if you're not a fan of The Bake Off you are forgiven for thinking I have truly lost it).

But this, purely and simply put, is love.

Negatives? Only minor things which I cannot bear to type because I feel that I would be letting Bertha down.

If you, or someone you know, has the pocket deep enough for one of these beauties, buy it. I dare you not to love it. And perhaps even name it.

Hat Box Dots
Hat Box Dots

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, heavy quality hat box, 22 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Hat Box Dots
I bought this to present some heavy pottery dinner plates in as a wedding gift. It was such good heavy quality that it was more than able for this task and will also provide the bride with some quirky storage after the wedding too!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality stamp, 22 Jan. 2013
I used this to make some wedding place cards for a friend recently. It was easy to use and produced a very good 'clean' print.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3