Profile for J. J. Mann > Reviews

Content by J. J. Mann

J. J. Mann

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing and awful for text. Eyestrain causing flicker and Blue blue blue slanted colour- Horrid, 3 Mar. 2015
Persuaded by the rave reviews on Amazon I bought this monitor. I wanted a good all round model that I could use for business, graphics and games. The monitor arrived and after an easy set up -put on base plug in- it worked straight out of the box. The horrid thick surround was very overbearing but it was the screen that I wanted- or so I thought.
I allowed 30 minutes for the monitor to warm up before trying adjustments.
The garish blue slanted colour should have been easy to adjust, I thought, unfortunately the more I adjusted the monitor the more it's shortcomings stood out.
Text was blurred and indistinct the horrendous blue was there in everything I tried to do. I thought I must have touched the " blue reading mode" but no -on further investigation the display was on "standard" setting. I even turned the blue gun down on my graphics set up then it went a yellow blue!!!? Also a noticeable band on the left hand side was appearing.
I spent an entire day trying to adjust the thing with no success -the amount of time I spent was ridiculous -but I wanted to be fair to the Benq
Worse than this the flicker of this supposedly "flicker free" monitor was so noticeable that I got a headache!
Thinking it must be my eyes (ok I'm a vintage model) I asked my wife what she thought the fist thing she said was "it's got a terrible flicker my eyes hurt" I must admit I was gratified to think it wasn't just me!
I tried the speakers they so horrible that I turned them off and went back to my old set (10 years old).
The stand was superb -but hardly makes up for this abortion of a screen.
I may have got a dud but honestly this monitor is horrible it's put me off Benq for life and I'm going back to Samsung.
One thing I must mention was how good Amazon were the monitor was picked up the next day at the time given. My refund was in my account by the same evening. Many thanks Amazon you are brilliant!

1.0 out of 5 stars Good fit but doesn't last long, 16 Feb. 2015
Fell apart after only a few moths gratefully received a refund
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2015 8:19 PM GMT

Containment (Children of Occam Book 1)
Containment (Children of Occam Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a good book but the poor writing and stupid longwinded explanations ruin the story. Avoid at all costs, 16 Feb. 2015
The writing is poor. The story is boring. The author tries to explain what is the bleeding obvious and not what isn't.
All in all a really poorly written and badly thought out storyline.

Tsunami (The Witch, the Dragon and the Angel Book 4)
Tsunami (The Witch, the Dragon and the Angel Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Gothic tale handled by a true story telling master, 8 Nov. 2014
I was expecting another trip to the Scottish Isles and to the Faerie realm. The Witch “trilogy” made this realm all so real. This book however is so much more. Goddard delves into the realms of M R James and Edgar Allen Po and in this reviewers humble opinion is as good as or better than both of those other masters of the horror genre.
This is a spine tingling disturbing and truly scary book. Imagine being thrust into a world where you feel asleep but know you are awake, the horror of waking up as a corpse near Bristol in 1607 and fleeing from a priest who learned his trade from Torquemada.
This tale is peppered with all manner of horrors a Cyclops, skinny brutish fiends and a huge floating blubber woman. One is then transported back and forward in time to Victorian London to a present day scientific laboratory- then back again into the Bristol Tsunami by which device perversely our hero saves himself. There are so many superb ideas and the denouement is even more amazing for its invention.
I urge you to read this great book.
Brilliant Gothic tale handled by a true story telling master.

Witch Way Home? (The Witch, the Dragon and the Angel Book 1)
Witch Way Home? (The Witch, the Dragon and the Angel Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read from an accomplished author, 31 Oct. 2014
A great read from an accomplished author.
Disaster strikes on the Isle of Skye- Tsunami and hurricanes cause havoc. The Scott family flee for safety with a hectoring mother in law sniping at them all the way. Jimmy Scott,the head of the family, believes that she must be a witch but is suddenly catapulted into a parallel world -the world of Faerie
Here the hero is met by all manner of strange and weird creatures some we know, or think we know, well.
This world is populated with a giant talking rat fabulous dragons,daemons and devils, faeries, elves and werewolves. When the parallel world starts to leach into our own Jimmy Scott's children wife and witch like mother in law must try to save the world from total destruction.

TP-LINK TL-WPA281KIT AV200 With 1 LAN port 300M Wireless N Powerline Extender Starter Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product from a helpful manufacturer. Easy to fit and set up. TP-Link 3 year guarentee gives peace of mind., 18 Sept. 2014
Great product. I needed a good WiFi signal throughout the house these worked perfectly. However after 2 years the main plug sender just stopped working no lights nothing. Remembering that TP-LINK offer a 3 year grantee I rang their helpline and was told to send in the offending plug.
I have just received a new replacement after only 2 days waiting. Brilliant service from a great company!
The new plug works perfectly with my old receivers and in fact allows faster WIFI than before
Highly recommended.

Edwin Jagger Silvertip Badger With Drip Stand - Large, Imitation Ebony
Edwin Jagger Silvertip Badger With Drip Stand - Large, Imitation Ebony

1.0 out of 5 stars Good for a few months then sheds bristles like mad, 6 July 2014
So disappointed in this product
After about 5 months use the bristles are being shed -horrid to shave with long bristles stuck to the razor.It really doesn't last and its an awful lot of money for such a poor product.

YAMAMOTOYAMA Sencha Green Tea 200 g
YAMAMOTOYAMA Sencha Green Tea 200 g
Offered by We Luv Shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Sen-cha, 7 Jun. 2014
One of the best Sencha teas around. I love this tea depth of flavour and full rich colour.
Good value. One spoonful will make 4 cups.
Remember to let the water cool for 10 mins after boiling to have the tea at its best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous not electically safe., 1 Jun. 2014
Lamp arrived with no instructions and bare wires free and touching the metal case.
I did isolate the wires and covered with electrical tape.
I advise the seller to check the light and make them safe before sale.
Instructions are not included nor is a UK fused plug fitted.
Once rewired and made safe this was a good bedside light and works well.
I can not give it any more stars as I am concerned about the safety of this light

The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller
The Stone Man - A Science Fiction Thriller

2.0 out of 5 stars Wordy a bit too worthy and gets bogged down in details, 20 Feb. 2014
I was looking forward to this but found it was a bit boring.
Great beginning but a good story was lost by the constant soul searching and frankly irritating verbiage.
The book could have been half the length if the angst was cut out.
Even so it was a fair read-not very scary but a good idea.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5