Profile for Englishwoman abroad > Reviews

Content by Englishwoman a...

Englishwoman abroad (France)

The Illegal Gardener (The Greek Village Collection Book 1)
The Illegal Gardener (The Greek Village Collection Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Delightful novel, 4 Nov. 2012
I picked this novel from the free list based on others' recommendations, which can often be a gamble, but one that paid off in this case as I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so much more than the usual 'disenchanted middle-aged woman runs away to a new life in a rundown house in the sun' type book. This was primarily due to the addition of the illegal immigrant angle, which added another layer of interest. The book was well written, in quite a staccato-style, and was entertaining, moving and evocative. I thought it would be chick-lit, but it made me think a lot more than that and I found myself reassessing my views on illegal immigrants as a result. A thoroughly recommended short read.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 11, 2012 9:42 PM GMT

La Rochere Bee Bowl 14cm
La Rochere Bee Bowl 14cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, good value for money everyday bowl, 20 Jan. 2012
I bought 6 of these as a present for my mother as replacements for the same bowls in the (now unavailable) Versailles design, which had been used everyday for many years (but which had finally come to grief one way or another). These are classy, attractive, solid and quite deep bowls which are a perfect size to be used everyday for cereals, fruit or desserts (or for serving nuts and crisps). They're fine in both the microwave (eg. for cereals with hot milk) and dishwasher and she is delighted with them.

Wahl Ultima 7200 Men's Shaver Mains / Rechargeable ZX648
Wahl Ultima 7200 Men's Shaver Mains / Rechargeable ZX648

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, good value for money electric shaver, 20 Jan. 2012
My father asked for a shaver for Christmas. It was to be his first electric shaver as he's a wet shave man and wanted one for when he either couldn't be bothered to wet shave, or needed to tidy himself up in a hurry. Having no idea about how to go about choosing one, I spent a lot of time reading the reviews on Amazon. I was actually prepared to pay considerably more, but on the strength of the reviews I finally selected this one. He was a bit sceptical at first, not being familiar with the brand, but, after using it for the last month or so, has subsequently emailed me to say how delighted he is with it, to the extent that he's now using it instead of wet shaving, which has to be a result. (The mere fact that he bothered to let me know how pleased he was a surprise!). So, thank you to all of you who bothered to leave reviews that enabled me to make my dad a happy man!

Accurist Ladies leather strap watch LS670G
Accurist Ladies leather strap watch LS670G

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, good value for money everyday watch, 20 Jan. 2012
Delighted with this recent purchase. The face is clear and easy to read and the design is elegant. I found the strap length to be fine (for the first couple of days I wore it on the second hole from the end but, after the strap had moulded to my wrist a bit more, subsequently moved it to the 3rd. I'm happy not to have a long dangling spare bit of strap. Buying it in the sale made it excellent value for money.

My French Coach Level 2(Nintendo DS)
My French Coach Level 2(Nintendo DS)
Offered by Renaissance

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity, 14 Jan. 2008
I bought this game hoping it would help to improve my spoken french, anticipating the creative use of the multi-media DS platform. I was sadly disappointed.
Firstly, the things I thought were good:
The games were easy to grasp and I appreciated the range of methods used to reinforce the vocabulary (anagrams; selecting a word based on its definition; selecting a definition for a specified word; correcting spelling mistakes etc). I liked the fact that there was a daily goal of the number of words to learn and that progress was rewarded with new tasks and increased levels of difficulty. I also thought the glossary review at the end of each task was valuable to reinforce the correct spelling and definition.
However, as the previous reviewer reports, the fact that there is absolutely no grammar (no gender for nouns, no tenses for verbs - even in the glossary) seriously limits its value, as you cannot confidently use the new words without checking them out first in a conventional dictionary. I was also concerned to find that there were some either highly dubious definitions for a small proportion of the words (eg "pension = boards that have been fastened to each other" instead of board/lodging)or obscure definitions for words that have much more common meanings.
Those were the serious concerns, but I also found it very disappointing that the makers had not made more use of the capabilities of the platform, particularly the use of sound for pronunciation (bizarrely, the only use to which the microphone is put is for you to blow on it to raise letters that have sunk in the pasta soup game!). This is a real shame as it would have made it so much more useful and engaging. I would really love someone to do this again properly.
It's still a lot more fun than reading through a dictionary, but not as much use.